News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rebuilding my Ulthwé  (Read 4713 times)

Offline Dryad

• Go Jets Go
Rebuilding my Ulthwé
« on: April 19, 2011, 05:58:41 PM »
12 years ago I started an Eldar army. Throughout that time, I went through many phases of painting ability as new techniques became more apparent to me. However, when you start a colour scheme and set a standard, it is hard to adjust that standard due to the risk of affecting army cohesion and visual unity. So, year after year, the army maintained the same old boring ice blue that had been started on day one.

To satisfy my new painting skills, I started a new army (that seemed to be the logical things to do). Hence, my Chaos army was born.

However, I always felt like my Eldar would always be my favorite deep down. The biggest part of that feeling came from my really keen interest in Ulthwe. For years, I called myself a proud follower of the Craftworld and became really engaged in the online community. The sad thing was that my ice blue models painted to a boring standard just did not do my interest in Ulthwe justice. Therefore, I made a huge decision a few years ago and sold every single model of my 5000 point Eldar army.

I always knew I would return. From the moment I packed them all in a box for shipping, I was 100% sure that I would purchase all new models and rebuild from the beginning some day. And I always told myself that when I began the rebuilding process, I would build a proper Ulthwe coloured army.

Well, the time has come. A few weeks ago I made the big decision to embark on project: Rebuilding my Ulthwe. The first step was to snag that beautiful new Warp Hunter model that Forge World released. Then, I started rebuilding the flagship Ulthwe unit: the Seer Council. I now own a lot of Warlocks with two of the new 2006 Farseer to go along with my new Warp Hunter.

This blog will follow the rebuilding of the army. The goal is to have 1500 points finished by next spring to take to the local Astronomi-con Grand Tournament.

The List:

Farseer w/Stones, Doom, Fortune [130] (attached to Warlocks in Serpent)
6x Warlocks w/3x spear, 2x Destructor, Embolden, Enhance [199]
Wave Serpent w/TL shuriken cannons, Stones [110]

Farseer w/RoWarding, Guide, spear [93] (attached to Support Weapons)

10x Dire Avengers w/Exarch, PW and shimmershield, Bladestorm [162]
Wave Serpent w/TL shuriken cannons, Stones [110]

10x Guardians w/BL platform and Warlock w/Embolden and spear [143]

10x Guardians w/BL platform and Warlock w/Embolden and spear [143]

3x Support Weapons w/3x D-Cannons [150]

Warp Hunter w/Stones [135]

Fire Prism w/Stones [125]

TOTAL 1500

Now for the fun part. Ladies and Gentlemen, I present the very first piece of my Ulthwe rebirth: The Warp Hunter

The color scheme was heavily inspired by Lazarus's Eldar. Although I will never be able to freehand purple lightning, I wanted all my gems to be a deep purple because it looks so deadly with black and bone.

Stay tuned for more as the army comes back to life.

Offline Algavinn of the Many Paths

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Stockholm syndrome is a great way to pickup chicks
Re: Rebuilding my Ulthwé
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 10:57:03 PM »
Great to see you on the road to rebuilding, keep us updated regularly.

The warp hunter looks pretty damn awesome!  I look forward to seeing the rest of your army grow.
The 40k0 projects are constantly looking for contributors and editors.  If you feel up to the job, PM me for info.

Join us in the new General Tactics and Strategy forum: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?board=115.0

Slaughtering Mon Keigh and reclaiming the galaxy since 1992

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 09:39:08 AM »
Phenomenal paint job. Can't wait to see more.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline murgel

• Armies: CWE, Harlequins, SW, DA, BA, Vanilla SM
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 01:01:21 PM »
Very very good job on the Warphunter.

I have started the basecoating for my Ulthwé army and hope to just come close to what you are doing.
Will there be more pictures?
sure you have an opinion,
but my swordplay is better than your´s

Take my advice, I never use it.