News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: dead rising; Update 23/5/12 Rotting Terminators  (Read 13046 times)

Offline Daboarder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
dead rising; Update 23/5/12 Rotting Terminators
« on: May 13, 2010, 06:54:04 AM »
Hi guys I've been a long time lurker of this board but this is my first time posting, just wanted to show you something I was working on as an alternative to my BA's.

It was suggested I post this in teh WIP forum so here it is

Let me start this topic by providing some of the background as to how it came to be..... You see way back when GW released the PDF and DA plastics I cam up with what I thought at the time was a great idea. Since all the Loyalist armies at the time looked like they we're going to be the same at their core I descided it would be great if I added squads from other chapters to form a "crusade" addition to my BA's, this would mean that I would be able to field any of the minatures from any of the SM ranges. In order to allow acces to Chaos marines I intended to include a contigent of soul drinkers into the army. With this in mind I bought 2 boxes of Chaos marines, a box of Chaos termies and the lord. Then rea;l life caught up and the project was left by the wayside.

Then with the release of the current BA I decided I wanted an army that played differently to my BA's. Being the fluff nut that I was I decided that the best counter to my BA would be Chaos space marines that used to be BA, or atleast lead by a lord who was once a BA. The only problem wiht this was I couldn't really find a good fluffy way to take the army I wanted to without breaking some fluff. What I wanted was a "shock and awe" army made of Plague marines, Chaos termies, Land raiders, and Obliterators. I had been going to make them a "black legion" force that had access to traitor apothecaries allowing for the PM's to get FNP from a fluf percpective however this didn't sit well and so the project looked ready to go back under the bed.

Then low and behold the great BnC offered me delliverence, and it's name was the Dornian Heresy. With this alternate Time line in hand I decided that it was perfect for my BA's to succumb to nurgle and so the army began again.
The colour scheme for this army will be Blood red and gold trim with strong devlan mud washes to produce a highly aged look. I have considered using scab red as it is darker but we will see how the current ideaturns out.

Now I intend for this thread to allow me to show you guys my WIP as well as explaining my design deciscions, so without further ado I shall kick off proceding's with my  WIP Chaos lord.

These pictures are all of the Pre-Greenstuff stage.

This next shot is his Daemon weapon. the fluff behind it is that my lord was possesed by a Daemon of nurgle but supress's it ad uses its power to his own ends. Model wise the right hand side of the minature is going to be more mutated than the left, as seen with the arm and the spikes growing out of the armour on the shoulder and legs.

Next up is his shield, The idea behind this is that I wanted to take the classic image of a knight/space marine/ generic hero standing with one foot on a vaquished foe, with weapon in one hand and shield in the other and twist it into a cruel parody. (see I'm playing the nemesis card again) as such I decided it would be cool if my lord had taken a shield from a vanquished hero and "improved it". This is what I came up with.

Conversion notes: The shield/ left arm is going to have green stuff added on the back  to make it look as if the shield is starting to grow onto the lord, as well as a toxin sac for the spike at the bottom. The blood angel symbol will also be growing onto/into the shoulder pad along with the spikes on the right arm and the Daemon head on the chest.  The lord is also going to be "gifted" with a set of Wings from the TK carrion to provide yet another ironic counter to my BA succesor HQ's, as well as having key plates or armour recieve the "musculature" treatment.

So what do you gusy think? Love it or hate is please let me know, and as always advice is appreciated.

PS: please excuse the terrible spelling, I'm a chemistry student, haven't done english in years.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:08:35 PM by Daboarder »

Offline Daboarder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: dead rising
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 06:54:48 AM »
The second Instalment

So last night I decided to do alot of the green stuff work on my lord. The torso is complete barring the wings and cloak that will be attached this weekend and the front half of the shield and the shoulder  pad on the left arm have been completed.

I'm currently thinking that I will paint the "stretched flesh" bits in red and use a red wash on them but I'm not sure If that will constrast it enough compared toe red armour with a devlan mud wash. What do you guys think? How about painting one of the 2 reds as scab red and if so which one would you paint darker, the flesh or armour?

Also does anyone know a good way to paint a Sickly green corpse flesh colour using only a few coats? If so could you please tell me as I want to paint the "Marine" parts of these models as cadavers to play on the undead side of the vampire mythos.

Onto the pictures:

First up is the Deamon weapon, Its pretty much complete now I'm happy with the way the green stuff has really blurred the line between flesh and armour.

Now we have the front and side versions of the lords torso. I decided to mold the Skull on the front into the armour to help make it look more a piece of it and less of an ornament that was just tacked on.

Now we have the front facing of the shield, this is probably the part of the minature that I'm most happy about, Its turning out even better than I intended.

And last but not least are the front and back pictures of the shoulder pad.

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
  • jo. Ph34r my l33t skillz. B4x4^2!
    • Alliben's Homepage
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 09:01:23 AM »
Dude, this thing is glorious. Nice work. Keep us updated. I'd really like to see the completed model. You're making me want to run Chaos in Ard Boyz now. Haha.

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 09:29:22 AM »
agreed, i'm loving the conversion work, the attention to detail, but most of all the fact that there is a clear decision making process going on based on the story of the character himself.

great stuff, and i look forward to seeing this sort of detail being drawn through the rest of the army.

Offline Daboarder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 03:10:02 AM »
Here are the Latest photos of both the back of the shield and the attached arm, I'm quite please with the results but what do you guys think?

And here is the attached shot.

Offline Impyrocker

• Ripper
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 10:45:53 AM »
Wow nice conversion. The buboes look awesome, and the skull on the chest looks incredible.

Offline Critically_Hit

• Now likes bolters...
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 02:45:56 AM »
Awesome work!

Think you could tell us some more about the bits you used?

Your sculpting looks very, very smooth! wow :)

In case of doubt, duck! Hit the ground... Though not a tactical advantage per sé, it does make you feel safer for a couple of seconds

Offline Khain Mor (/kharandhil)

• <3 huskblades
    • Dark Moon Kabal
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 06:43:41 AM »
OMG! this is some serious stuff, No doubt in ym mind, this is the coolest Marine I've ever seen. I'm sincerely hoping that your converting skills match your painting skills.

You should be VERY pleased with the results.

Put the flash on your cam dude, pictures should be clearer with it.
The Dark Moon Kabal ,possibly the biggest DE army ever!
over 20k and awesome, what more do you need to click? (last updated the 02/03/2012)

Nothing better than killing a thousand slaves to wake up in the morning.

Offline Daboarder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 09:01:59 AM »
So this time I'm going to be delving ALOT deaper into my design process and the further developement of this army starting with the basing and slight alteration of my "Typhus".

First up a rules explanation, you see for years I've wanted to convert a Chaose lord based upon the Deathknight image in the warcraft 3 handbook, I never could quite get it down right until I started this incarnation. Now the Idea of a death knight is and undead champion that has both magical powers and notable battle prowess, now in the Chaos Undivided realm the closest one can get to this is to take a Sorcerer. Now there were a few problems with this in my mind and the first of which was the sorcerers ability to only take and cast one power a turn. Thats kinda pitiful with regards to the more recent codex really. And the second was becasue the Sorcerer isn't much of a beast in combat. Now when I felt the pull of the Plague god I was reading through the rules for all the dedicaded nurgle units and I ran across the entry for Typhus, this was exactly what I had been aiming for ( though originally without the nurgle lean) so my new Plague lord will be following the rules for Typhus.

Now onto the minatures.

First up is my lord again, this time he is on what will be his base after some green stuffing to nurgle-ize it and some sand so that it fits my board. Originaly I didn't want to use the base supplied by with the chaos lord as it seemd too "generic" to me but due to lack of being able to find a suitable replacement and the success of the green stuff on my lord I decided to go with simplicity and modify this myself. Also of note is the removal of the Tyranid skull trophy rack, this was in part to make room for a pair of carrion wings and also to allow for the addition of one of the skeletons like the one on the base.

This shot shows the back where the carrion wings will attach when they become available ( Curse GW selling the last one to the guy before me, TWICE!)

Now we have the Pre-Green stuff Terminators, This squad will ultimately consist of 6 terminators and act as a retinue for my lord adding up to the magic number of nurgle.
While cinstructing the squad it occured to me that I would need to include a bearer of an icon of nurgle, after a little rule checking I found no reason not to take it on my asspiring champion and so decided upon the Idea of making all my aspiring champions into Sanguinary Plague Priests, to facilitate this idea I decided that they would all have a "plague grail" upon their right shoulder pad. this one on the Terminator is made form an unsided down shoulder pad slightly carved to fit and will be heavily greenstuffed.

His load out is a combi-flamer and power waepon.

This is the rest of the squad, first guy is equiped with a Heavy flamer and Chain fist. With this army I was trying to get back the wackyness of 40k and many of my miniatures are an attempt to recapture much of the 3rd ed or older artwork with john blanche of particular note.

These guys have a combi-bolter and power fist.

The last guys has a power weapon and Combi- bolter.

This guy is going to be the "aspiring champion" for my first marine squad and will also likely be the test marine for my scheme. He is also pre-greenstuff and canny BA's will notice the use of a grail shoulder pad. (it was a painful descicion believe me.)

he has a power fist and bolt pistol

Thats all for now but more greenstuff/assembly will be conducted tomorrow.

Offline Explosivo111

• So what if my marines like gentle spanking?
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 04:45:17 AM »
jesus man those models are fantastic :)
that lord is some of the best modelling ive seen...ever...

Cant wait to see them painted, should be beautiful

Offline Daboarder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 06:33:00 AM »
First of all allow me to thank everyone who shows enough interest in this project to leave a comment; it can be disheartening to see large numbers of views with very few replies. Even if it is just a “keep up the good work” or “I’m not really a fan” you’re comments are much appreciated.

So here is the first painted miniature. This is ultimately how I want all my Aspiring champion’s to look, however for the other marines in my army I intend to invert the scheme so that the base colour is the red with a mud wash and the “growth’s” are bone with a red wash.
Note: the model is not complete because my fine brush died doing the flesh area’s and it will be a few day before I get a replacement.

This next photo is what the red looks like when it has been given a mud wash. Some will not that this place was previously taken by a slaanesh shoulder pad that was intended to be the body for a chalice conversion; well I couldn’t get that to work to my satisfaction and so replaced it with this simple conversion.

As always comments are much appreciated.

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
  • jo. Ph34r my l33t skillz. B4x4^2!
    • Alliben's Homepage
Re: dead rising; Now with paint!
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 08:17:01 AM »
Wow! Those models are coming along great and your painted Terminator really turned out nice. Good highlights. I can never get mine to look the way I want them to. Very impressive. I'm liking the conversions. The greenstuff is looking good. Keep it up and keep posting.

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 08:51:29 AM »
Very nice:) I really like the way the mutations stand out in red compared to the faint green tone of the armour. And your conversions are fantastic!

2nd place - 40kO painting competition expert category April 2005
1st Place - 40kO converting competition beginner category June 2005

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 10:31:30 AM »
I like them very much. They'll obviously look even better when painted, if your Terminators are anything to go off.

Where did you get the Chalice themed shoulderpad from? Looks creepily Soul Drinker.

Offline Explosivo111

• So what if my marines like gentle spanking?
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 11:03:32 AM »
fantastic paint job, uve really captured the nurglyness of the armour.
The faint green on the armour is brilliant.

I demand to see more!! :P

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 12:15:26 PM »

Where did you get the Chalice themed shoulderpad from? Looks creepily Soul Drinker.

New Blood Angel sprues.

I'm loving these conversions, particularly the Lord. Brilliant sense of drama and presence about them, and the paint scheme is strong. I'm impressed.

Offline Daboarder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 05:00:58 PM »
haha actually the shoulder pad is just a wrist guard from a chaos marine cut in half  ;).

Offline Raktra (So long, I guess)

• Skarboy | Ripper | Princess of Baal
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 05:04:21 PM »
The one on the Possessed ain't though ;)

EDIT: Though the fist is genius.

Offline Daboarder

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: dead rising; Now with RED paint!
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2010, 09:07:03 PM »

So it turns out devlan mud has a green pigment in it (I honestly did not know that). this works unintentionally well on my aspiring champs but it gives me a problem with my red marines, and that problem is named purple. That’s right when I wash my red marines in mud they don’t look so hot and I was a little unsure on how to overcome this and get an aged red. The possibilities are I think either changing to red gore and ditching the wash (I think the washes add to much character to drop though), changing the wash used to badab black ( I might go with this one, if anyone has any experience with this please let me know how it turns out) or doing what I did this time and after washing very lightly dry-brushing with blood red one final time (though I’m not sure this achieved the look I wanted). If anyone else has another idea please let me know.

So here’s the basic scheme and there is just a few things to note here. Firstly I was trying to do this one quickly this morning and so decided to dry the wash with my halogen lamp (I’ve done it before), unfortunately I just melted my dude so some green stuff will be added to the back to alleviate this mistake.

PS: does anyone have any good ideas on how to paint warpfire?

Offline Semaj_14

• "I don't need Luck, I have Flamers!"
Re: dead rising; Now with RED paint!
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2010, 11:06:03 PM »
I accidentaly stumbled onto the dornian heresy myself, Holy crap that is awesome! and different. Can you imagine if They make a play aid for it? sweeeet.
Anywhoo This Is some great stuff! Dont forget thoguh. Your marines are probably gonna be largely helmetless so they can feast upon the un-tainted blood of thier victims.
"Through the Fires of battle Unto the Anvil of war!"

"When In doubt Just add More Melta!"