News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: House Ulthran House Guard [Pic HEAVY]  (Read 34051 times)

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

Re: House Ulthran House Guard [Pic HEAVY]
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2010, 09:49:31 AM »
Well, as I said, I don't like the pilots-sculpts, that's the main reason why I paint the canopies.

Apoc size... We'll, I'd like to be able to think like that, but it's not possible with my current financial situation.

I did the turret and filled in the rectangles over the engines. I thought a lot about moc's idea of making it a small panel in the armour, but it was a bit of a problem with keeping the GS staying where it was supposed to be when smoothing/filing it so I decided to just fill it in and smooth it out.

Pics:

2nd place - 40kO painting competition expert category April 2005
1st Place - 40kO converting competition beginner category June 2005

Offline neverXmore

• I *LOVE* 40k Online! I really do.
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2010, 11:48:09 AM »
Awesome stuff, man, looking forward to seeing more from you. I'm particularly impressed by the warlock conversions you've done, they're great! I just don't have the paitience to convert metal models, so I really admire what you've done with them. Looking forward to more =)

So sad but true.
I don't want to seem rude but if I wanted to take part in talking about why the eldar codex needs to be better I'd read pretty much any thread in the Eldar forum.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2010, 01:29:58 PM »
Looks good... as for the rectangle work though....

Cut the armour lines drifting to the back out of the rear armour first.... then use Plastic card glued into slots.... then fill in with Green Stuff to level, use sculpt complet the recess around the armour plate....

Anyway, what you have was easier and looks just as good, or maybe even better... I would add a gem though.

GS on turret worked out really well, good job there... and I do understand about the pilots... they are sort of Humanish...

Cheers
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2010, 07:01:55 PM »
Awesome stuff, man, looking forward to seeing more from you. I'm particularly impressed by the warlock conversions you've done, they're great! I just don't have the paitience to convert metal models, so I really admire what you've done with them. Looking forward to more =)

Thanks :) I don't really have any more conversions planned as my to-paint batch is getting quite big now. Probably a goof bit over 2000 pts... That's what's on the to-do-list going forward... Painting :P

Looks good... as for the rectangle work though....

Cut the armour lines drifting to the back out of the rear armour first.... then use Plastic card glued into slots.... then fill in with Green Stuff to level, use sculpt complet the recess around the armour plate....

Anyway, what you have was easier and looks just as good, or maybe even better... I would add a gem though.

GS on turret worked out really well, good job there... and I do understand about the pilots... they are sort of Humanish...

Cheers
Thanks moc :) I was considering making gems, but I'm a bit uncertain as to how to make them size/shape etc. Might be coming very soon. I'm very satisfied with the turret as I was a bit worried as to how it would turn out.

I kinda wish they'd just change the pilots to look like the War Walker-pilots That'd be so much better IMO.

Cheers!

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2010, 05:07:46 AM »
Finished the Dire Avenger model that was colourscheme tester for the squad. I might go over the red on the sash once more with some more highlights later.

Offline Mortal Flesh

• For the CRAFTWORLD!
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2010, 05:48:21 AM »
Wow, amazing work! I love your Spartans Avengers and your warlocks are great as well and its really inspires me, if you don't mind.. :) Ive been thinking about my storm squad like stormies combines with dire avengers parts (like helms etc) before and I love these shields (300 is one of my most favourite movies BTW), so I might be going similar way with them..

And about your council I really love your little upgrades of them, they look a way better!

And that Spinner is very nice too, so thumbs up  ;)

Great job and go on ;)

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2010, 08:09:25 PM »
Wow, amazing work! I love your Spartans Avengers and your warlocks are great as well and its really inspires me, if you don't mind.. :) Ive been thinking about my storm squad like stormies combines with dire avengers parts (like helms etc) before and I love these shields (300 is one of my most favourite movies BTW), so I might be going similar way with them..

And about your council I really love your little upgrades of them, they look a way better!

And that Spinner is very nice too, so thumbs up  ;)

Great job and go on ;)

Thank you :) The thing behind the shields is that I re-watched 300 at the time I was waiting for my Avengers to arrive and just got thinking how similar those helmets looked... It's always nice to be able to inspire people (I am studying to become a teacher so...) I draw inspiration from things I see on the boards here too.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2010, 02:24:06 PM »
The Dire Avenger looks great; but I would suggest adding the Aspect colout (Blue) somewhere... Maybe the v on the Shield, or something...

Can't wait to see some Spinner progress.

Cheers

Offline neverXmore

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
The Dire Avenger looks great; but I would suggest adding the Aspect colout (Blue) somewhere... Maybe the v on the Shield, or something...
Um aren't the gun and armour and plume all dark blue, or am I just being colour blind lol

So sad but true.
I don't want to seem rude but if I wanted to take part in talking about why the eldar codex needs to be better I'd read pretty much any thread in the Eldar forum.

Offline Mortal Flesh

• For the CRAFTWORLD!
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2010, 10:58:04 AM »
Um aren't the gun and armour and plume all dark blue, or am I just being colour blind lol

To me, it seems black/dark grey :) .. but it can be done by photo, or poor monitor  ;D You've painted them, so you should know what color they have  ;) But I like em the way they are!

Offline Khain Mor (/kharandhil)

• <3 huskblades
    • Dark Moon Kabal
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2010, 11:01:22 AM »
no it's grey if you ask me, comes from the highlighting.

I also would prefer it, if you somewhat change the colors of your aspect warriors, doesn't even have to be blue. I don't like armies with the same color on each guy. Looking at the conversion quality, it spoils everything, great models, but paintjob is all similar. This is one of the greatest things about an eldar army: all squads don't have to be the same color, but they'll still look good together.
The Dark Moon Kabal ,possibly the biggest DE army ever!
over 20k and awesome, what more do you need to click? (last updated the 02/03/2012)

Nothing better than killing a thousand slaves to wake up in the morning.

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2010, 06:44:52 PM »

To me, it seems black/dark grey :) .. but it can be done by photo, or poor monitor  ;D You've painted them, so you should know what color they have  ;) But I like em the way they are!
neverXmore and I use the same avatar, but we're two different people (not schizophrenic ;))

no it's grey if you ask me, comes from the highlighting.

I also would prefer it, if you somewhat change the colors of your aspect warriors, doesn't even have to be blue. I don't like armies with the same color on each guy. Looking at the conversion quality, it spoils everything, great models, but paintjob is all similar. This is one of the greatest things about an eldar army: all squads don't have to be the same color, but they'll still look good together.

It's black highlighted with grey. The point is to keep it as a cohesive army, I've considered painting the gems/blisters on the shoulder-pads blue, but I don't really feel like changing them much from that one test model. Might be something left from my army-days but I feel that an army should look like it is one army, not a group of different units.

Offline Mortal Flesh

• For the CRAFTWORLD!
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2010, 04:25:46 AM »
neverXmore and I use the same avatar, but we're two different people (not schizophrenic ;))

lolz :) .. I see it now  ;D And now I know that I have to check names, not just avatars  ;)

It's black highlighted with grey. The point is to keep it as a cohesive army, I've considered painting the gems/blisters on the shoulder-pads blue, but I don't really feel like changing them much from that one test model. Might be something left from my army-days but I feel that an army should look like it is one army, not a group of different units.

As I said I like em the way they are. And about look like one army, I prefer aspects colors so my army looks like rainbow :D .. but I like it.. it seems to me more Eldarish..  :)

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #53 on: July 9, 2010, 06:12:20 PM »
I've finished the black on the top of the Fire Prism's hull... Nothing more atm, but now it's a weekend and I'll more time to paint:) I really happy with how it turned out, IMO it's easily my best tank so far.

Offline neverXmore

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2010, 01:35:18 AM »
That's some really nice freehand and highlighting! The areas you've filled in with greenstuff look great too ... that is, I can't see where they are lol

So sad but true.

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2010, 05:33:43 AM »
Thanks:) I'm very happy with how the GS work came out with paint over it. I caught myself wondering where that small thing next to canopy normally is :P

Offline Mortal Flesh

• For the CRAFTWORLD!
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2010, 03:06:29 AM »
Wow! It looks perfect, I love that Eye on the right, and even if I'm not a fan of painting glasses, yours look great! Well done and go on, I'm looking forward at foto of finished one..  ;)

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2010, 08:54:42 AM »
I like the look of the figure so far, and I see real potential in the total effect of the figure.... I do have one suggestion though

• For the canopy Glass, I would do a wash with Purple or Red or Blue as it would deepen the Black to appear more "Glass" like... then I would re-highlight the light effects, and finially give it a topcoat of 'Ardcoat to make it shinier than the armour plates.

Cheers

Offline Khain Mor (/kharandhil)

• <3 huskblades
    • Dark Moon Kabal
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2010, 02:07:15 PM »
I agree with moc, but think blue would be the perfect colors, dark blue in fact will go well together with the black.

Such freehand is hard to do, but the result is great, can't wait to see how the finished model will look like.
The Dark Moon Kabal ,possibly the biggest DE army ever!
over 20k and awesome, what more do you need to click? (last updated the 02/03/2012)

Nothing better than killing a thousand slaves to wake up in the morning.

Offline DarkstormUlthwe

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2010, 06:17:13 PM »
Thanks guys :)

As for the canopy, that's a really good idea moc. I wonder if the GW-washes are dark enough, I think blue or purple would be best. I know that red would fit the overall scheme like glove but I don't think that it'd work as well black.

The entire chassis will be sprayed with matte varnish once it's finished as the black is much too shiny, I'll 'ardcoat the canopy along with the gems as well after then I think.

I've mainly been working on the Eye over the last few days, and it'll probably take a bit more time still... It might be done tomorrow or Wednesday. I'll get some pics up then.

Cheers!