News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Orks (KoS) vs Orks (Shooty) 1800pts  (Read 2938 times)

Offline Deathpepper

• Big Mek
  • If all else fails, roll more dice!
Orks (KoS) vs Orks (Shooty) 1800pts
« on: April 12, 2009, 09:38:43 AM »
I played vs "The Black Library" (Jon/Krootman got this knickname for bringing a huge stack of FAQ printouts with him every week to the store), a local player.  We each brought our fairly new ork armies.  Interestingly, most of TBL's ork models are tournament prizes from around the area.  This game was meant to be for fun, a chance to try out his less used models like flash gitz.  I played using just about every model I've got.  My only proxy in this game was a terminator subbing in for the warboss. 

Waaagh Gonzaa Painting
You can also read my last game using this army.

Waaagh Gonzaa vs Waaagh Black Library

THE CHALLENGER:  Rules for the rules god!

Waaagh Black Library
Big Mek Gorbag - KFF
23 lootas
12 sluggas in a trukk
12 shootas in a trukk
16 shootas in a battlewagon - deffrolla, big shootas
20 sluggas in a battlewagon - deffrolla, big shootas
10 storm boyz
7 flash gitz - cybork, painboy

THE DEFENDER: Hell's Kitchen

Waaagh Gonzaa
Big Mek Gonzaa- KFF, power klaw
Mega Warboss
with 3 Scoring Meganobs - 3 kombi-skorchas in trukk - reinforced ram
Slugga trukk boys x12 - PK nob trukk - reinforced ram
Slugga trukk boys x12 - PK nob trukk - reinforced ram
Slugga wagon boys x19 - PK nob
in Wagon - Big shoota, RPJ, boarding plank, def rolla, grot riggers
Nobs x10 - 3xPK, 3xBig Choppas, 2x kombi skorcha, 2x kombi rockets, banner, pole, painboy, orderly
in Wagon as above
3 killa kans - grotzookas
3 wartrakks - rokkits

Setup
We used a standard 4' by 6' board with terrain set up by a store employee.  The terrain featured the store's display Stompa model as a huge piece of impassable terrain! 

We rolled up a 5 objective mission with Spearhead deployment.  Grot models were used as objectives.  Apparently our big meks have lost the keys to the stompa... 

Deployment

The black library won the roll off and set up his units in a castle with lootas flanking his vehicles.  They had pretty good LOS to either side of the stompa, and some of the right unit of lootas were up in a building.  I deployed my transports to the far right, trakks and kans in the center.

Turn 1 - Challenger

I fail to seize the initiative.  The lootas proceed to bring da pain.  They get side armor shots on my larger battlewagon, wrecking it.  Four snakebites burn to death in the wreck and another is gunned down by further shooting.  The other loota unit blows up two wartrakks. 

Turn 1 - Defender

Gonzaa jumps into the nob battlwagon, and his forces advance into position to charge next turn, mostly hiding behind the remaining wagon.  Kans and snakebites run.

Turn 2 - Challenger

The left lootas trash a kan and remove the klaw from another.  The right lootas shoot a trukk, but fail to do anything to it.  The battlewagon shootas drive up and disembark right in front of my snakebites, who are painfully exposed slogging through a crater. 

The shootas unload, but only kill 2 snakebites due to some great force field saves. 

They charge, killing 5 more snakebites and losing 3 shootas back.  The remaining snakebites are then run down, leaving the shootas out in the open.

Turn 2 - Defender

My Mega nobs disembark in front of the shootas and set their kombi-skorchas for extra toasty, flaming all the shootas.

The nobs mob jumps out in front of the right lootas and hits them with 2 skorchas, killing 5.  Black Library removes enough models to deny my charge.  The lootas fail morale and run out of their comfy building.  Gonzaa swings at the enemy battlewagon using his boarding plank/power klaw combo, getting a lucky hit.  The wagon explodes, but doesn't kill anything.  My deathskulls slugga mob disembarks near the stormboys. 

I call the WAAAGH!!! and assault them, managing to avoid a difficult terrain test.  The stormboys roll badly and die, unable to damage the deathskulls at all.  The deathskulls consolidate within 6" of the fleeing lootas to keep them running.  The 2 remaining kans charge the other enemy battlewagon, knocking a big shoota off.

Turn 3 - Challenger

Lootas keep running, but not quite off the table.  Black Library's trukker shootas zoom over to my deathskulls, shooting 4.  I remove enough models that he must charge through terrain to get us.  The skulls down 4 shootas, then lose all but their nob. 

The deathskulls nob flees (he continues fleeing for a few turns till he leaves play).  The large battlewagon slugga mob charges my kans, destroying one.  The last kan keeps this huge mob of boys busy for several turns.
Meanwhile, the trukker slugga boys jump out next to my nob mob.  Combined with loota, flash git, and vehicle shooting, 3 nobs are wounded.  The nobs take the charge, killing all the sluggas, but lose everyone but 3 power klaw nobs and painboy. 

Turn 3 - Defender

Battlewagon tank shocks flashgits, doesn't kill any.  Trukk tank shocks trukker shootas, they pass morale.  My wartrakk advances next to my nobs to get off a rocket shot, wiffs. 
Pumped with battle-rage, the remaining nobs charge the flash gits. 

The gits are destroyed by massed power klaws, but my painboy is somehow killed in the brief melee?  My evil sunz trukk mob disembarks to charge the enemy trukker shootas, but fail their terrain roll.

Turn 4 - Challenger

The lootas rally, getting in position to fire on turn 5.  Black Library's remaining battlewagon tries an 8" ram on my wartrakk, but just bounces off. 

The trukker shootas charge my stranded evil sunz.  They trade 4 boys each, tied combat.

Turn 4 - Defender

My battlewagon tank shocks the large loota mob, but doesn't squash any.  Trukk tank shocks the right lootas, crushing one (failed death or glory), they pass morale.  Meganobs and Gonzaa charge the enemy battlewagon, wrecking it.  My evil sunz roll well, finishing off the shoota mob and consolidating next to their trukk (for a turn 5 objective grab).

Turn 5 - Challenger
Black Library moves a trukk to block my MANZ from taking the nearest objective to them.  His other trukk tank shocks the evil sunz mob, my nob "death or glory"'s, immobilizing it! 

Loota fire immobilizes my battlewagon and kills the last 3 nobs.  The last killa kan finally explodes, killing off another 4 enemy slugga boys.  The sluggas consolidate next to the center objective. 

Turn 5 - Defender

The meganobs charge the trukk that is blocking them, exploding it (no damage), and consolidate onto their objective. 

Evil sunz embark and zoom over to another objective. 
We roll, the game ends here.

Result:
Challenger Objectives: 1
Defenders Objectives: 2
VICTORY for Waaagh Gonzaa.

Analysis:
This was an interesting game.  Kans and wartrakks are really fun.  I loved having so many vehicles on the board at once.  It seems like about half my games are against other orks now, so I'm really getting used to fighting them.  Initiative and charging are so key to victory.  I should have been more careful with positioning a few times this match, my boys should be a few inches into terrain whenever possible, so enemy orks strike last.  I may start using stickbombs (gasp!).  Catching the storm boys by surprise (out of cover) was huge.  That's the kind of thing that swings these matches.  As for the new units, I'm finding that kans are like ork kryptonite.  Walkers are just not something we can kill easily.  The wartrakks were a nice distraction, probably saved a trukk.  Speaking of trukks, we forgot the ramshackle rule all game.  Doh!

MVP:
The nobs served up their usual pain buffet this game.  Burning out a loota unit, taking a full slugga boy charge, then slaughtering flash gits.  I love these guys.  I do think I'll be swapping in some more kombi-skorchas though.  The rokkits are useless and 2 skorchas is enough to lose a charge but not enough to finish off a unit.

Hero(es) of the game:
The meganobs have found their niche as masters of the BBQ!  I will never field them without kombi-skorchas again.  They can always beat down tanks with their klaws, but now they can also unload 4 templates to annihilate a unit of light infantry.  Awesome.

Most Dangerous Enemy:
The lootas harrassed me all game, destroying quite a few light vehicles and hurting my nobs.  Their dirty reputation is well deserved.  I really didn't have the resources to chase them all down, either.  I plan to eventually use a unit of kommandos in larger games for just this reason. 

Hope you enjoyed the game!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 10:33:18 AM by Deathpepper »

Batreps        Ork Models      Painting Blog

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Orks (KoS) vs Orks (Shooty) 1800pts
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 09:49:04 AM »
Fun report, cool to see orks duking it out.Yours was the KoS right? Then congrates on the win. The one thing the fast orks had, was mobility, the shooty orks seemed to just kinda stick in their corner lol. Good job keeping him back.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Imperial Dragon

• Overkill is a state of mind.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 10:26:32 AM »
Good fight, Gork 'n Mork approve.

By the way, did TBL paint one of his Looted Wagons like Optimus Prime?  Kinda getting a vibe in that direction.

Offline MekEad

• Burna Boy
  • Gork and Mork FTW
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 10:57:01 AM »
Hey Deathpepper!

Good battle report, except that some of the pics were fuzzy, but I got the gist of it.  I have yet to have some Ork-on-Ork action, but it seems to be crazy fun.  Looking forward to it.

I noticed you had some awesome looking Trakkz.  What model(s) did you use to make them?

MekEad
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended for us to forego their use."
Galileo Galilei

Offline kr00tman

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 11:05:17 AM »
Great great battle rep, I enjoyed reading it as much as playing in the game.

I really thought I played pretty well minus leaving the stormboys out in the open, leaving them to die like that really hurt me as it put him a leg up in the rock paper scissors that is ork combat. Also there was no way I could have known my nob would wiff on that last kan 3 turns in a row :(

The flash gits failed horribly but thats ok, I dont think im going to give up on them yet (they fit the theme of a big mek led gun heavy ork army).

After thinking about ork vs ork action I think im going to try a big unit of ard boys with mad dock, I really think 4+/4+ with 2 klaws will maul orks.

Im looking forward to a rematch!!! (Ps I tried the idea of lootas with a ton of boys vs stwerts nidzilla, it worked pretty well actually).

« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 11:48:11 AM by kr00tman »
http://pittsburghbloodbowl.forumsland.com/ we play 40k, fantasy, and blood bowl located in Pittsburgh PA!

http://theredgrail.blogspot.com/ My good friends blood angels blog, has links to all our apoc games as well!

Offline Deathpepper

• Big Mek
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 02:00:36 PM »
Fun report, cool to see orks duking it out.Yours was the KoS right?
Yes!  Although it seems like every ork army starts out with 2 units of trukk boys.  :P

Good fight, Gork 'n Mork approve.

By the way, did TBL paint one of his Looted Wagons like Optimus Prime?  Kinda getting a vibe in that direction.
Those were battlewagons, but i see what you mean.

Good battle report, except that some of the pics were fuzzy, but I got the gist of it.  I have yet to have some Ork-on-Ork action, but it seems to be crazy fun.  Looking forward to it.

I noticed you had some awesome looking Trakkz.  What model(s) did you use to make them?
Yeah, sorry about the turn 2 photo.  Our store is small and sometimes crowded, I took that one over a customer's shoulder (a big gal).
The wartrakks came from leftover battlewagon parts and a lot of plasticard work.  You can see more of them in this thread.

Great great battle rep, I enjoyed reading it as much as playing in the game.

I really thought I played pretty well minus leaving the stormboys out in the open, leaving them to die like that really hurt me as it put him a leg up in the rock paper scissors that is ork combat. Also there was no way I could have known my nob would wiff on that last kan 3 turns in a row :(

The flash gits failed horribly but thats ok, I dont think im going to give up on them yet (they fit the theme of a big mek led gun heavy ork army).

After thinking about ork vs ork action I think im going to try a big unit of ard boys with mad dock, I really think 4+/4+ with 2 klaws will maul orks.

Im looking forward to a rematch!!! (Ps I tried the idea of lootas with a ton of boys vs stwerts nidzilla, it worked pretty well actually).
Glad you liked the writup, having complete notes helps a ton.  :P
The kans always do well vs nob powerklaws, I saw that again and again vs Jeff's kan spam.  They're just so cheap, AV 11 front armor is decent, and tend to take a lot of damage results to take down (2 weapons to remove, ignore a lot of results). 

I'm not impressed with gitz on paper or on the tabletop, sorry.  It's too much work to make them "ok", while other units like nobs rock all by themselves at a similar cost.

Offline g00gle5

• Organisers Never Prosper
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • I would.
    • Promethean Games
  • Armies: Grey Knights, Necrons, Dark Eldar
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 02:47:13 PM »
Good report, but I'm slightly baffled about your army list:

Mega Warboss with 3 Scoring Meganobs - 3 kombi-skorchas
Nobs x10 - 3xPK, 3xBig Choppas, 2x kombi skorcha, 2x kombi rockets, banner, pole, painboy, orderly

You choose the smaller, less resilient Meganobs unit to be your scoring Nobz unit!?

Battle Reports | Wargaming Articles | Shop

Offline orkdom

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 05:41:10 PM »
Cool report. Any chance of a close up on the Kans or do I have to wait until I get back to see them??? :P

Seems like the Gitz really did next to nothing, which is really too bad. I really want those guys to be useful....Maybe if you try just More Dakka on them next time Krootman, you might be able to get something out of them (especially against orks!).

Deathpepper, I have to ask: have you ever played a game that went beyond Turn 5? You seem to be quite lucky with that roll, and you prepare for it well. I still can't get my mind around the fact that games aren't six-turn-standard anymore, and it's caught me with my pants down a number of times....oh well. Good report! Keep 'em coming.
I currently split my time about equally between studying in Russia, and living at college, with brief visits here and there back home. Needless to say I don't get to build much, and get to play just a little bit more. It's been this way for almost 3 years now.

15,000pt Apok campaign games: 2 (about every 2 1/2 months)
Thunderhawks destroyed: 2

My army is actually led by a schizophrenic talking squig named Deffgogzz.

Offline Deathpepper

• Big Mek
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 08:52:46 PM »
You choose the smaller, less resilient Meganobs unit to be your scoring Nobz unit!?
Yeah, that's how I wrote up the list for 1000pts.  Didn't think to swap the MANZ to elite when I added in nobs to get the list up to 1800, which worked out this time.

Cool report. Any chance of a close up on the Kans or do I have to wait until I get back to see them??? :P

Deathpepper, I have to ask: have you ever played a game that went beyond Turn 5?
The kans:

I've had a string of 5 turn games recently.   ::)  I think this one was def. winnable with more turns, though.  TBL only had one scoring unit, I could have just swamped them with tank shocks and hid one of mine.