News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Age of Sigmar Gaming Blog  (Read 13142 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Age of Sigmar Gaming report Brush and Sword event report.
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2018, 04:54:49 PM »
Third place is very impressive, congratulations :).  You played very well on all those games and you deserved to finish very high up.  The standout game for me was the one against Legions of Nagash because I thought that you would be in trouble against that army for that mission, but it just goes to show that the weakness of elite armies is that if you take out the hammer force they don't have the numbers to overcome a horde.

The range of armies on show and quality of them is clearly conveyed by the photos.  It looked like quite an enjoyable tournament to be at on that basis.

Thanks!

Big beat-stick things really cause me a lot of trouble, as my infantry aren't super great. The stormfiends are okay, but are more tough than they are killy. I set up my army in that game with the Legions of Nagash, expecting to loose.

Although, he did have a very top-heavy army, and if he had instead more graveguard, I think I would have been in trouble.

I find that folks who play age of Sigmar tend to put more effort into their armies than 40k players, so I like to represent their armies!

I should have played better in my first game. In hindsight, I should have deployed further back, so he couldn't have charged me.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Uncle Tungsten

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2018, 06:13:58 PM »
Awesome range of pictures and congrats on third place! Some gorgeous looking armies there.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2018, 06:48:34 PM »
Awesome range of pictures and congrats on third place! Some gorgeous looking armies there.

Thanks bud! I don't recognize you, are you new here? Do you play AoS?
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2018, 09:21:55 PM »
Wonderful battle reports, Squid, excellent that you managed to snag the 3rd spot with an army that has no battletome. Well done! ;D How are you liking the Verminlord Warpseer? Do you think your list would still perform well if you swapped him out for any of the other verminlord archtypes? That Giant Rat Summon seems like a key play in your strategy.

All of the armies in the screenshots look excellent! Kharadron for 2nd(!). :D
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

• Ancient
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2018, 10:14:23 PM »
Wonderful battle reports, Squid, excellent that you managed to snag the 3rd spot with an army that has no battletome. Well done! ;D How are you liking the Verminlord Warpseer? Do you think your list would still perform well if you swapped him out for any of the other verminlord archtypes? That Giant Rat Summon seems like a key play in your strategy.

All of the armies in the screenshots look excellent! Kharadron for 2nd(!). :D

Thanks!

The Verminlord Warpseer, for me, is the best choice. His spell and command ability are too good to pass up. Casting two spells a turn, and being able to re-roll his save are also huge marks in his favour. He's not terribly killy, compared to the others, but he's the most versatile. I think he's the cheapest too, he's less than 300pts.

If he dies early, I've probably lost the game. He's the center of my army. I don't think any of the others would be as useful as him. I though of the Verminlord Deceiver, for the -2 to hit against shooting, and fantastic rend on his daggers, but he doesn't help the army.

If I played pestilence, or verminkin, I'd take the courrptor/ warbringer respectfully.

The kharadron played was effectively tabled every game, but played the missions very well, and won that way. Also, his army was beautiful.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2018, 01:49:35 PM »
Thanks!

Big beat-stick things really cause me a lot of trouble, as my infantry aren't super great. The stormfiends are okay, but are more tough than they are killy. I set up my army in that game with the Legions of Nagash, expecting to loose.

Although, he did have a very top-heavy army, and if he had instead more graveguard, I think I would have been in trouble.

How was it facing the Dire Wolves?  Do you think that they were the weak link?  I found them very mediocre in the one game that I played.

Uncle Tungsten has been around for a while now.  He's a member of Wyddr's 40K campaign/gaming group.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

• Ancient
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2018, 02:18:30 PM »
Dire wolves are weak stat-wise in a fight, but are a cheap and fast battleline unit. It's not uncommon to see folks take three units of 5 direwolves just to fill out battleline slots, so they have more points to spend on other things (Like in this game).

They are fast, so are good at sticking back on objectives/ chasing after open objectives (depending on the mission). Two wounds each means that if they are near a gravesite you actually have to put some effort into killing them, as if you don't kill off all 10 wounds, they'll Just come back.

I wouldn't expect to take a unit and win a fight. They did beat up my giant rats though!
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Uncle Tungsten

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2018, 09:09:05 PM »

I've mostly been in the 40k section. Looking at AoS, though.

• Ancient
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2018, 08:41:02 PM »
I went to another Tournament last weekend, at a place in Mississauga, called X-Planet. The Owner, is super nice, and it's a great little venue. It's right off the highway too, so super easy to get too. Only an hour away from me, so very close!

I brought the exact same Skyre list I've been running for the last while (you can see it if you trawl back a bit).

This was my first event using all the AoS Rules, Rolling for terrain, battleing in the Realms, artifacts, Spells...Whole Shebang.

I've gotta say, that playing in the realms adds just so much to the game. Extra fun rules for the realmscape feature, new command abilities, and spells. I found that using these in the three games I played added another tactical depth to the game. Also, with all my spellcasters, six new spells to cast each game was pretty nice!

Game 1

Realm of Chamon

Battleplan: Shifting Objectives.

Nice fellow named Ruben.

He was playing Blades of Khorne, with a rather deadly and neat trick.

Gore Pilgrims battalion

x3 slaughterpriests
x1 bloodstoker
x1 bloodsecrator

x2 unit of 20 bloodreavers

x1 unit of 5 blood warriors

x1 unit of 10 blood warriors

x1 unit of 20 Skulltakers w/Daemon weapons.

Needless to say, I didn't clue into his trick until it was too late.

Skulltakers do mortal wounds on hit rolls of 6+, which, combined with all the bonuses from each slaughterpriest, bloodsecrator, and blood stoker was really nasty.

Needless to say, with 4 attacks each, he evaporated my verminlord, acoyltes and both units of Stormfiends in one charge. He didn't end up tabling me, but it was a near thing after his charge T3.

Loss

Game 2

Vs Spooky Ghosts

Realm of Ulgu, with the realmscape feature that the range of all spells and shooting was 12" max.

Knife to the heart.

This is a tough mission. You don't score any points in this mission. You just win the game if you control both objectives at any point T3 onwards.

Nice fellow named Ken, he had Spooky Ghosts!

x30 Chainrasps
Olyander
Relanor (character on Winged Nightmare)
Lantern Ghost
Knight of Shrouds on horse
x2 Ghost horse minor heros (whatever they are called)
x2 units of hex wraiths
Black Coach
Hexwraith and Black Coach battalion
Chromantic Cogs

So, He dropped his horses all in the underworld to bring on through reserves. I did the same with my Stormfiends (both units had a drill).

I took the first turn. I wanted to try and hit him hard, and get my screens up, before the ghosts showed up.

Unfortunatly, neither stormfiend unit arrived. I did get my screens up, and teleported one of my acolytes forwards and cast the shackles at him.

So, on my second turn, I had one unit of stormfiends come down, kill 11 chainrasps, but then lost a model from Olyander, and I lost the other two models in battleshock. Well, amphetamine parrot. On his turn, he just resurected all those models, and attacked me with everything else. Thankfully, he sort of wiffed, and just killed my giant rats screen. On my third turn, I killed the black coach, two small ghost heros and most of a unit of hex wraiths. After that, I brought my second unit of storm fiends onto my home objective to help defend that.

At the end of the game, we both only held our own objectives, but he won a minor victory for killing more victory points of models. I think my single YOLO stormfiend charge into his chainrasps lost me the game, as that was the differnce in points I needed to win.

Loss

Game 3 Vs Stormcast

This was a great fellow named Richard.

He had..

Lord Arcanum on gryph charger
x10 sequtors
x5 sequtors
x5 evocators
x3 castigators
lord ordinator
x2 ballista
unit of 9 raptors with hurricane crossbows
Comet

I think there is something else I'm missing.

Realm of Shyish. Places of Arcane Power

So, this game was pretty much decided turn 2. I did a great job blocking areas off, to limit his deepstrikes, but I compleatly underestimated how much damage the ballista's and Raptors did. He deepstruck both of those, and just rocked my world. After his second turn, I had all the steam blown out of my force from his shooting. After that, I just fought to get victory points, but winning the primary objective was a lost cause.

Loss

Overall, three fairly brutal games. I felt like my list was outmatched by the first and third players by a huge degree, and it seemed the meta at the store was extreamly competitive. Even though I lost the games, they were good learning experiances. The abiltiy for my army to screen and control board space is not up to snuff. Also, the stormfiends are so expensive, that they are becoming more and more of a liability. I know two units is a compleate waste of points. One unit, might be okay.

Need to tinker with the list, and decide if I want to keep playing Skyre, or just convert to a more general skaven list. much-much options.

The two winning lists, were almost identical Legions of Nagash armies, and third place was Slyvaneth.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 05:57:36 PM by Irisado »
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2018, 06:08:04 PM »
The Khorne list was extremely nasty in my opinion.  I'm not sure how that could be easily stopped if it makes it into melée with enough of those boosted models.

The Nighthaunt list was pretty thematic and significantly mobile, so that was always going to be tough to beat as well.  It sounds to me as though you actually tried to be a bit too positive against it.  I'd probably enjoy using a Nighthaunt list similar to that, although I'm probably more of a Soulblight or Soulblight/Nighthaunt combination in terms of my preference.

I would advocate sticking with your clan Skyre force.  It's well themed and makes for a characterful army.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

• Ancient
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2018, 08:17:27 PM »
Yeah, that Khorne list was a bit insane. If I clued in, I should have immediately focused on killing the priests, as that would have stopped his combo, and would have made the unit much more easier to manage. But, alas, I didn't ha ha.

The nighthaunts army was pretty cool! I should have just focused on my own objective and hoped to win the tie breaker. But, keeping my stormfiends in reserve, did force him to keep a large part of his force back. Too bad they both didn't come in at the same time :-P

Definitely good experience though. I have enough ally points left after taking the Verminlord,to fit in a unit of 20 clanrats, which I think would help me create more of a buffer. 

Gonna need to see what bits I have, and do some more list crafting to find the next version of my list. Also, I need to think about which endless spells I want to take.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2018, 10:19:57 PM »
Great games, Squid, brutal games none-the-less though, I imagine that Khorne list was not so fun to fight against. Having fought Bloodbound for my very first game, I can sympathize  :P. I'm glad you pulled away some knowledge about your list, I agree with Irisado that I think your list has performed amazingly for a faction that has the distinct disadvantage of having no tome. I really hope Skaven get their battletome soon, because I'd really like to see the Rats unleashed ;D ;D ;D!

• Ancient
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2018, 08:53:56 PM »
Great games, Squid, brutal games none-the-less though, I imagine that Khorne list was not so fun to fight against. Having fought Bloodbound for my very first game, I can sympathize  :P. I'm glad you pulled away some knowledge about your list, I agree with Irisado that I think your list has performed amazingly for a faction that has the distinct disadvantage of having no tome. I really hope Skaven get their battletome soon, because I'd really like to see the Rats unleashed ;D ;D ;D!

Thanks bud!

Today was a Shadespire tournament at the store, and I always look forward to those. I'm a huge fan of that game.

I brought my Farstriders warband, and won all three of my games, and also earned the most glory of all players.

Everyone walked away with promo cards, and acrylic tokens and things, but I was also able to take home the trophy!

I played against Orruks twice, and Skaven once.

My opponents all seemed to build their decks to score glory by being very agressive and brawling, but I built my deck to score glory passivly without fighting, so I mostly ran away from people, so I could deny their objective cards, ha ha. In my first round agasint the Orrucks though, I accedentally got too agressive and lost 2/3 of my warband. I only pulled out the win as Farstrider got very luckly with his bird attacks, and killed two Orruks.

My second game against Orruks went a lot easier, after playing them before. The Skaven players power deck didn't have enough ploys which targetted his figures, so had a lot of trouble inspring his figures, plus, I stayed away from him.

Now I'll need to work on another faction to try and win another event with! Thinking of trying to figure out Garrack's Reavers, or one of the new warebands coming with Nightvault.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2018, 09:04:34 PM »
Congratz, Squid, what a victory  ;D! That trophy looks glorious to have on a display shelf. Also, very nice looking Farstriders, I'm also a fan of the Anvils of the Heldenhammer color scheme. Speaking of new warbands, the Tzeentch and Moon Clan Grots will be available to preorder next week!

• Ancient
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2018, 11:05:18 AM »
No pictures this time, but for the 500th store celebration, my GW store had a 500pt tournament.

I brought

Arch Warlock
Two units of 5 acolytes
Ratling gun

And for fun

Umbral Spell portals
Purple Sun

So, basically, my entire plan is to summon the purple sun through the spell portals and let hilarity ensue.

It worked in one game lol.

I was playing against legions of negash. He had two units of 20 skeletons, 5 grave guard, and a Wight king.

Turn 1, summon portals, summon the purple sun behind the Wight King, and immediately kills the Wight King and 5 skeletons lol.

I can only imagine how that'd look on the table.

"What's this magical portal doing here....BY NAGASH!!"

The rest of the game, was me running away from his skeletons, while the purple sun bounced around like a pin ball. Such a random hilarious spell.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2018, 11:10:53 AM »
That sounds absolutely hilarious!  ;D

Especially since it's a Spell from their 'home' if that makes sense.  Like killing Stormcast with the Comet.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2018, 11:11:59 AM »
Purple Sun of Xereus (as it used to be known) was always a very nasty spell, but it could do as much damage to your own side as your oppionent's if you were unlucky.  It doesn't sound as though it has changed that much in this regard, which I find gratifying.

• Ancient
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2018, 06:03:24 PM »
That sounds absolutely hilarious!  ;D

Especially since it's a Spell from their 'home' if that makes sense.  Like killing Stormcast with the Comet.

It was pretty funny.

Played again today, and never got the spell off, so effectively played 100pts down. Gonna drop the sun after that. It's too unreliable and ineffective for it's points.

Purple Sun of Xereus (as it used to be known) was always a very nasty spell, but it could do as much damage to your own side as your oppionent's if you were unlucky.  It doesn't sound as though it has changed that much in this regard, which I find gratifying.

I never played fantasy, so I don't know how the sun worked before, but it's pretty terrible in AoS, especially as you need to set aside 100pts to summon it. It's a fun spell to take for non-serious games.

Moving forward, I'm going to drop the portals and sun, and go back to shackles and then take the geminids. They are fantastic for de-buffing melee units.

I'm also dropping my battalion, which frees up 220pts, and I never used the second artifact anyway. The only thing I miss is the extra command point.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

• Ancient
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2018, 09:53:55 PM »
So, had another game at the store with my Rats, Trying a new list. I've decided that spending 220pts on a battalion, just isn't worth the points investment, and I'd rather just have more models. The only thing I miss is the command point, so I might just drop 50pts from my list somewhere.

Skyre
Realm Hyish

Arch Warlock
General (Overseer of Destruction), Prismatic Lenses.

Warlock Engineer
Verminlord Warpseer (Ally)

x20 Clanrats (Ally)
x5 Acolytes
x3 stormfiends
x3 stormfiends
x1 Ratling Gun
x1 Ratling Gun
x1 Poisioned Wind Motar.
Warp Lightning Cannon
Warp Lightning Cannon

Umbral Spellportals

Purple Sun.

So, I played agasint a local at the store, Daryl. He has started a new Legiong of Nagash army.

Manfred
Neferata
Arkhan the black
Wight King
x10Skeletons
x10Skeletons
x10Skeletons
x10Skeletons
x5 Grave Guard
x5 black knights
x5 black knights

Bonerattle battalion.

The mission we rolled was Places of Arcane Power, and we fought in the Realm of Shyish. Our Realmscape feature was +1 bravery for all models. Alright!

So, in this mission, there are three objectives, seperated equally along a diagonal line across the table. Scoring is at end of player turn, and you score points for however many turns that the objective has been controled. Only Wizards, and heros with artifacts can hold objectives.

So, I have three heros, all wizards. He was four heros, all wizards, or have artifacts. Also, three of his heros are powerful heros on monsterous mounts.

Durring deployment, I held off deploying my artillery until he had dropped all three Mortarchs. He dropped his whole battalion in one drop, which gave me more of an oppertunity to counter-deploy him. I set up the acolytes on the far right, just to tease out units from him, but them compleatly focsed the rest of my army on the left/middle. My goal in these missions is to hold two objectives and ignore the third.

He places on unit of black knights in the Gravesites. Arkahn on my far right, the other two Mortarchs on my far left, and a horde of skeletons in the middle.

BR1

Death

He places Arkhan the black on the far right objective, while Manfred and Neferita advance towards the left objective. He brings in his black knights near my Acolytes, and then charges the Acolytes with a unit of Skeletons, after battleshock, I am left with one Acolyte.

He scores 2pts, for holding the right and left objectives.

Skyre

So, I cast the Spellportals, but fail to cast the purple sun :(

I summon a unit of Giant Rats to guard my left flank. I advance up the clanrats and Verminlord, so the Verminlord holds the middle objective, but is surrounded by clanrats and giant rats. One unit of Stormfiends move up to guard my Verminlords right flank.

In shooting, one cannon zaaps his wight king dead, while the other cannon and Ratling guns smoke Manfred.

Death 2 Skyre 1

BR2

He wins the roll for the turn.

Unfortunatly, all he can really do is charge my clanrats and giantrats, due to screening. However, a unit of black knights charge one of my cannons.

He attacks first with Neferita, who kills 12 Clanrats. Verminlord, with his reach of 3", doom-glaves Neferita for 6 wounds. I pulled the dead clanrats from the right side of the squad, so when he piles in with his skeleon unit, he'll have to move within 3" of my stormfiends, and bring them into combat too. So, skeletons pile in, attack, and kill another couple of skeletons. Stormfiends then pile in, and kill 6 Skeletons with just the Grinderfist. Finally, the Black Knights deal 2 wounds to the Warp-Lighting Cannon. Clanrats deal a few wounds to Neferita, and then the giant rats pile in and finish her off.

Clanrats then evaporate from battleshock, and my Acolyte is cut down by the skeletons.

So, yeah, That worked really well.

Skyre

I fail to cast the purple sun :(

In this turn, On my left, the stormfiends charge into a unit of skeletons and crush them, my Warlock advances onto the left objective. Stormfiends on the right shoot to death the skeletons they are in melee with, so are free to charge his black knights, and a unit of skeletons. Warplighting cannon shoots into the Black Knights it's "fighting", and zaaps 3.

At this point, Seeing how I have two objectives, and he has only one hero left, my opponent calls the game.

This game was a good case of why just taking expensive big monsters isn't always the best idea, especially when unsupported. Once I killed his Wight King, his infantry had no hero support, so couldn't resurrect. Certainly, he needs to drop one, or two, of the Mortarchs and buff out his infantry, and just take some support heros. Strill, this was my first game trying out the ratling guns, and they almost single handedly killed Mandfred on their own. Re-rolling 1's to hit near my arch warlock was extra tasty.

I'm planning to drop the purple sun, and the spell portals. Going to add in the Shackles again, and the other 140pts I'll need to figure out. Maybe another endless spell, and an extra command point, or more acolytes. Thinking the Geminids would be a great de-duff to melee units.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2018, 11:59:48 PM »
Great victory, Squid, when I initially looked at the LoN list, I thought you'd be in for helluva game! Amazing how a unit of clan rats really helped to soften Neferata's charge, and that they managed to finish her off!

You've actually got me interested in trying Skaven out. I've been holding out for a battletome, but I don't think it'd hurt to pick a model or two after I've finished my Stormcast and Nighthaunt (I'm not certain where my Idoneth Army is going, simply put it's kind of a logistical nightmare trying not to break them and figuring out how to transport them!