News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Trukks And Boarding Planks  (Read 1575 times)

Offline MoreDakka

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Trukks And Boarding Planks
« on: September 4, 2012, 07:10:43 PM »
The question I have concerns how to model boarding planks on trukks. The GW model provides 2 planks for each trukk and the instructions show both being attached. Now, I understand that x pts is reasonable for an upgrade that has as limited and specific use as the plank does. However, does having 2 and being able to measure from either constitute an unfair advantage? My feeling on the matter is no (it's a trukk, a guardsman can sneeze and blow it apart). I was curious if anyone had any thoughts or views on the matter.

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Trukks And Boarding Planks
« Reply #1 on: September 4, 2012, 08:06:01 PM »
Boarding planks can be modeled however you want.   Skeetergod just puts a plank in one of the orks hands and puts him in the bed or just puts the plank in the bed of the trukk.   

I don't think placement or amount is really the issue if you read the actual rules for the boarding plank, it gives more of a universal feel rather than so much a functional feel.   (meaning they could pretty much be mounted anywhere)

Offline Dralith

• never say dice
  • Armies: Craftworld Bionerath and Badtoof's Moonstompas
« Reply #2 on: September 4, 2012, 11:56:13 PM »
I would say they are mounted everywhere. The rule states the vehicles must be within two inches of each other, not that the enemy unit must be within two inches of the plank. Thus, where you model the plank is irrelevant, it is merely a representation of the upgrade.
And Oromë loved the Quendi, and named them in their own tongue Eldar, the people of the stars.

Offline MoreDakka

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: September 5, 2012, 12:01:16 AM »
Ah, yes rule does state 'inches from vehicle'. I think I may have confused the 2" rule for the wrecking ball.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #4 on: September 5, 2012, 12:27:31 PM »
Think of the boarding plank like the ladder of a fire truck, it is pintle mounted and can swing any direction it is needed. You could mount it off the rear, off the front, off the center, etc. In some of my trucks as they sometimes don't have a plank, I just have a loose ladder that is placed in the bed of the truck with a boy to hold it.
  This way if I run Drive By Boys I don't have to pay points for kit that I won't use, and this allows me to take more stuff. While if there is a nob with PK in the truck, you can bet I have a plank, especially if I know I am going up against dreadnoughts. I just love it when BA players cry cheese after you kill off their death company dread  ;D
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline AXEBLADE

• Burna Mek
  • Armies: Orks, Eldar, Imperial Guard
« Reply #5 on: September 6, 2012, 01:26:21 AM »
The other thing with it is that since the trukks have the same armour value all around you can just pivot the trukk around so the boarding plank is the right way.