News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Unit of The Month: Deff Coptas  (Read 2030 times)

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Unit of The Month: Deff Coptas
« on: July 1, 2013, 12:50:25 PM »
Well, as the title suggests, the unit of the month is deff coptas. Show us yours, and tell us how you use them.

Teef will be awarded by posting your pictures of course, and for sharing your strategies and tactics.

Now, bonus teef will be awarded if you build one or a few. (we all have some in the "round to it" box). Not to compete with the scrapyard going on, but if you post deff copta projects here as well as there, you could be the sneaky git to earn more teef.  ;)

So, lets see what you have.

"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
Re: Unit of The Month: Deff Coptas
« Reply #1 on: July 1, 2013, 07:39:31 PM »
Deff Kopters...  The Bikers of the sky! lol

I used to reliy on my Green Baron to be awesome...  That guy won me more games then I can count...  Can't say I've used Deff Kopters in 6th...  My favorite tactic was to assault from the flank and go to town...  Since we can't assault after coming from reserves anymore, it really limits this fellow... 

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline -V-

• Infinity Circuit | O:nk's my painting bitch | Ork Yoof
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Fear the Shuriken
« Reply #2 on: July 2, 2013, 06:53:09 AM »
Well I am yet to really play with them in 6th.  The first time I used them they started well in turn 1 but by turn 3 they had fled off the table with some very unlucky rolling.  So I see that like Nobz they have a weakness in their low numbers and low moral with no chance of boss poling.

However their twinlinked rokkits make for a pretty useful weapon, I seem to be looking at these guys more and more for a reliable way to add more strength 8 weaponry into my list seeing how effective my rokkit kanz are.

The main way I see using these guys in 6th, and how I see them being run by others is as a sacrificial unit.  No points spent on green barons any more. Keep them cheap and use them to bait overwatch.  Afraid that Tau gunline will leave your boyz a pile of goo?  Well take the overwatch hits on the koptas and then charge in the boyz.  Im yet to test this one for myself but I can see its benefits against anything with an ap or any wall of death units.

Offline AndreSTL

• Armies: GOFFS! BAD MOONZ! Tallarn/Cadian IG, White Scars
« Reply #3 on: July 2, 2013, 01:38:13 PM »
I love these "whirly birds" personally. I've used them about a dozen times since 6th came out with mixed, but always hillarious results.

I use them in groups no bigger than 4. This is important so they can never be below 25% size and may normally use their full, yet mediocre, leadership. (dont think i broke any forum rules there...)

I always elect for the rokkits because they work the best and because im a fiend for WYSIWYG. The rokkits have the potential to hurt anything in the game and usually makes for a nervous Tau or IG gunline opponent!
I also, usually, throw a buzz saw on one to krump any stubborn/lucky tanks that survive the shooting.

Bottom line-Keep em moving, try to keep them in cover and you should get your points back for them, otherwise they're a great distraction tool! Like ZAG!
Doesn't Ally well with others...

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #4 on: July 3, 2013, 09:07:40 AM »

I have 3 Deffkoptas fully painted at the moment and 6 more assembled and sprayed, and waiting in the (very) long queue of models that need paint...

They make a great addition to Dread Mob lists, giving some much needed mobility and annoyance against shooty foes. The best Deffkopta moment I have had was in a standard Ork list, against my skumgrod's Chaos - in the final turn of the game, one of them sniped his Sorcerer with a rokkit from across the table, leading to a great "whuh?" reaction   ;D
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: July 4, 2013, 09:30:22 AM »
These are the three KMB coptas that I made to go paladin hunting. They did a great job, usually killing a paladin a turn until they got wiped out from retaliation shooting.

I also have two green barons, a squadron of five with the big shootas and five with twin link rockits. Just can't seem to find where I put the pictures. IF/When I find the pictures I will post them as well.

In this new edition, I have been using a squadron of three with the rockits, they out flank and then shoot some armor or other similar heavy support in the rear. Most times they then draw a lot of fire until they are dead, allowing the rest of my army to get in close and personal. On the few occasions when they get ignored they cause more mayhem by killing off various other heavy support choices that really hamstrings my opponents gun line attempts.

In a recent game against tau, they shot down the ethereals devilfish and the explosion killed off most of his body guard and pinned them. It was great fun to pin tau  ;D Then a truck load of boys drove up and assaulted the survivors, earning me a warlord point as well. 
« Last Edit: August 7, 2013, 09:27:06 PM by SKEETERGOD »
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: August 2, 2013, 10:58:24 AM »
Well guys, this thread is done. Thanks for those who added some imput and pictures. Good Stuff, and now for some more good stuff.

Looks like -V-, CheeseyRobman, Adamscurr, and AndreSTL all earned some teef for this month. Congrats.
« Last Edit: August 7, 2013, 09:30:55 PM by SKEETERGOD »