News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Ork models? well...  (Read 2337 times)

Offline AndreSTL

• Armies: GOFFS! BAD MOONZ! Tallarn/Cadian IG, White Scars
New Ork models? well...
« on: February 12, 2016, 11:50:21 AM »
Like you, I love the Orks! I love the fluff, I love the rules(generally! :)) and I especially LOVE the models that GW puts out.

However, sometimes I wonder why they'll redo one model and completely neglect another. Case in point: they redid the perfectly fine Big Mek w/ SAG, yet have no updated model for the buggies! This is not a huge deal with us Ork players though, because it forces encourages us to get creative! But when the creative juices aren't flowing what do we do? Well I went looking elsewhere for different ideas/models.

I found a site called Kromlech. Many of you will have heard of them before. I have received some orders from them and they are outstanding! The customer service is great, the delivery is fast, and the Models? Well they're some of the most detailed miniatures I've ever had the pleasure of painting! (These are not recast "knock offs" but their own sculpts)

But this has brought up a moral conflict for myself about supporting GW and not biting the hand that feeds! I rationalize it by continuing to buy a whole lot of GW stuff! In fact, I probably have bought more in the last year than ever before. I dont, for myself, see it as reducing sales for GW because I just wouldn't have bought GW's old version anyway!

For the record, I'm not talking about models that are simply GW knock offs. I understand its extremely similar. But I consider it a separate issue, because I am supporting another company thats doing great work for the hobby.

I'd like to know what you think about this!

Oh and go check out Kromlech!

Cheers,

Andre
Doesn't Ally well with others...

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
Re: New Ork models? well...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 05:38:07 PM »
Kromlech is a great supplier of wacky orkiness.  I've used several bits to create one of a kinds for my force. 

That's the beauty of converting and being an ork player; don't have a model from GW, look online, find bits and create your own proxy!  One should never feel guilt when looking else where for that one head, that one bit that really makes your model unique!  Now, if the same bitz were available from GW, I'd probably be purchasing them from them, that's neither here nor there...

I have found the Kromlech line to work rather well with my choice of ork clans, Blood Axes, as they have that militaristic flair to them. 

My two teef...
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Re: New Ork models? well...
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 08:49:06 AM »
Good, I got to jump in before the master of plasticard popped in (OD from TV) an put in my two teef worth.

I have been playing orks since the Armageddon days, and have had to "scratch build" ie LOOT many models and adapt them to orkisness. That is the main reason I switched from eldar to orks is the modeling fun and challenge.

In those days there were not even battle wagon models so I got to make my own BWs out of other companies models, just glue/pin some GW parts on there and presto; an ork model that was legal even at tourney.

The only models that were off limits were the boys, and since they had boxes of plastic boys come out that was no problem to just buy more boys and use the spare parts for other kit bashing to make more ork stuff.

Then when IA8 came out out, a new wave of kit bashing came out, love my junkas!

That is probably the main reason I stay an ork, is the endless looting potential, and kit bashing that I get to do. The cooler the model the less objectionable to other players.

For example here is a picture of my Gork Rider, (with a  Deff copta for size comparison) That I use as the boss from IA8.
click on the picture for full size

The kit bashing/looting is what sets the orks apart from the other armies in this game. The orks can almost make anything out of other parts and it is legal to use in a game. The great "counts as" clause makes orks a hoot to play.

So, if GW can't keep up with the demand for models just make your own.

My Two Teef
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak