News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ulthwe Army List, updated for 5th Edition (1st of 5 Craftworld Themed Armies)  (Read 4557 times)

Offline Chaplain Swordwind

• Infinity Circuit | Painboy
  • Faith is my shield, the Wailing Doom is my sword!
    • Click here for generic Math-Hammer tool.
This army is an update from the concept I did here.

The army list itself has been updated and expanded, but the background remains the same.  This list is intended to represent the strike force that Eldrad led against the home world of Ghazkhull Thraka, in order to prevent the rise to power of Thraka's rival, who was more interested in slaying the Eldar than in butchering the Mon-Keigh.  I feel that this list is not only a more effective configuration, but that it also better represents that strike force.

Such a strike force would not have been able to fight as a static element, especially on the homeworld of a major ork Waaagh.  That strike force would have to be mobile, and very aggressive; striking without warning and then fading before the orks could muster a counter-attack.  For that reason I have taken a much more aggressive approach with this list.  Much of the anti-swarm firepower comes from short ranged guns carried by the infantry, who are mounted in transports for flexibility and some protection.  I know that this list is likely to take a lot of casualties, but I figure that Eldrad's task force would have consisted of volunteers who new the risks, and therefore I don't feel the risky, aggressive approach is un-fluffy.

(100) Farseer w/Fortune & Runes of Warding.

(299) Warlocks x10 w/ Embolden x2, Enhance x2, Singing Spear x3.

(145) Wave Serpent w/ Twin-Linked Bright Lances, Spirit Stones.

(162) “Black Guardians”.  Dire Avengers x10.  Exarch w/ Power Weapon, Shimmershield & Defend.

(110) Wave Serpent w/ Twin-Linked Shuriken Cannons, Spirit Stones.

(162) “Black Guardians”.  Dire Avengers x10.  Exarch w/ Power Weapon, Shimmershield & Defend.

(127) Storm Guardians x10 w/ Flamer x2.  Warlock w/ Destructor.

(130) Storm Guardians x10 w/ Fusion Gun x2.  Warlock w/Destructor & Singing Spear.

(125) Guardian Defenders x10 w/ Scatter Laser.  Warlock w/ Embolden.

(155) Wraithlord w/ EML & Bright Lance.

Total: 2000 points
64 Infantry, 2 Monstrous Creatures, 5 Vehicles
5 Scoring Units, 14 Kill Points

I expect the first question many of you will ask is, "Where's Eldrad?"  The answer is I couldn't fit him into the list without compromising its functionality.  Personally, because of how the army fights, I feel its better (from a fluff standpoint) without him, as its unlikely that he would be spending his time in the swirling melee when the entire task force would be relying on him for guidance and leadership.  Therefore my Farseer is his trusted lieutenant; a younger and more aggressive Eldar who prefers to be in the thick of it.

If you REALLY feel Eldrad should be in the list, you'd have to drop one Wraithlord, remove Defend from both DA Exarchs, and downgrade the Bright Lances on the Seer Council's Wave Serpent.  Eldrad would then go with the Guardian Defenders, Fortuning that squad and the remaining Wraithlord while using Guide or Doom in addition, as needed.  However, that configuration sacrifices too much anti-tank firepower in my opinion, which is why I am posting the list you see above.

Army Design Concept:

I tried to stay as true to the Ulthwe background as I could with this army.  The army is led by a "Seer Council", and is made up mostly of Guardians.  The Dire Avengers are the only Aspect Warriors in the list, and I used them to represent the "Black Guardians", elite among the civil servants of Ulthwe.  The Exarchs might be a bit too upgraded for the "fluff nazis", but I figured my elite Guardians were entitled to elite leadership.  Basically, they function as if they had a Warlock with the Enhance power, but since I can't give an Exarch a Witchblade, he got the Power Weapon/ Shimmershield combo instead.  I also gave him Defend, and that was strictly a personal choice to make the unit more resilient, since they are likely to spend a fair amount of time on the ground, rather than hiding in their transport.  Alternatively, you could give the Exarch Bladestorm instead of Defend, and use it as a substitute for Destructor.  Either way, I think of the Exarchs as "Super Warlocks", one step above the average Warlock.

Strategy:

This army basically functions as two battle groups; one mechanized and the other dismounted.  Due to the background of the army it is heavily geared towards destroying swarm type armies; however I've taken steps to make sure it can function against "all-comers".  Initially, all available units capable of doing so will focus on neutralizing enemy armor, prioritizing any armor units that also have anti-armor capabilities of their own.  Because my anti-armor firepower is limited to two Wraithguard and one Bright Lance equipped Wave Serpent, I fully expect that the Seer Council will be participating in this phase of the battle as well, destroying vehicles in assault, once they get into position.

Once the enemies armor assets are neutralized, I will have a significant advantage in mobility, and I will seek to exploit and preserve that advantage.  Phase two of the battle plan will be isolating and destroying enemy dismounts, again prioritizing those that can hurt my transports.  The Wraithlords and the Guardian Defenders will attempt to place themselves in control of an objective during this phase.  I will NOT place them on an objective any earlier than this, because I do not want to invite the early destruction of one of my scoring units.  I expect the other units will be taking heavy casualties, so I want to preserve this one as best as I can by making it less of a target in the first few turns of the game.

Once the enemy's anti-armor assets have been wiped out, I will continue to destroy their infantry, focusing on eliminating scoring units as quickly as possible.  I will combine multiple units of my own against individual enemy units, hopefully wiping them out without giving them an opportunity to retaliate.  Transports will be used to block enemy assaults, redeploy my forces, and possibly tanks shock units off of objectives in the final turns of the game.  My mechanized troops will be used very aggressively during this phase of the battle plan, and I expect them to take heavy casualties.  However, if a unit becomes depleted and manages to survive with a few models left, I'll likely load them back into the transport and keep them mounted to preserve a scoring unit.

Re-writing this Craftworld themed army has inspired me to write a list for each of the main Eldar Craftworlds, and as such this is the first in a series of five Army Lists that I will be doing, focusing on making lists that fit the background first, and are competitive second.  I welcome any comments you might have (Moc, Gutstikk, rate them if you're interested), but I'm not looking for any suggestions to improve the lists, as I consider them finished products.

C.S.
« Last Edit: October 3, 2009, 07:19:03 AM by Chaplain Swordwind »
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the unprepared.

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Chaplain Swordwind is right about, ehm...everything.

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
Mostly I'm just reading now, I'll send you a link when I give it some more input. Personally I think you have to agree that all Eldar armies are significantly more viable at higher and lower points levels, and struggle the most with the middle ground. Moving up to 2k has helpoed my own army quite a bit, and it seems this Ulthwe list also benefits quite a bit from the extra breathing room. I like what I see so far and agree with most of your analysis. Shoot me a PM if I miss the rest of them somehow. I'm very interested in this.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
I'll be very interested in how this list works on the table top without any assault protection for those Defender Guardians, so any battle reports you post using this list would be articles I would be very interested to read.

The Ulthwé theme is, obviously, very well reflected by this list, so from a background point of view I cannot fault it at all.

My first question was not 'Where's Eldrad?', since I think it is refreshing to see an Ulthwé list without him  ;).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

I'm glad to see that the list is generating interest, and I hope the others do as well.  (Irisado, I confess I was sort of targeting you with these lists, cause I know you're a big fan of background).

I'm with you about it being refreshing to see a list without Eldrad, I just expected you to be surprised that he wasn't there after I went into detail about this army representing HIS strike force against the orks.  ;)

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
I'm with you about it being refreshing to see a list without Eldrad, I just expected you to be surprised that he wasn't there after I went into detail about this army representing HIS strike force against the orks.  ;)

Eldrad's overall Strike Force could, however, be larger than this (and probably would be), so he could easily be leading a different section, so it is quite feasible, in my opinion, for part of his Strike Force not to be led by him, as is the case here  :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lazarus

• Infinity Circuit - The Voice of Reason
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Space Wolves & Imperial Guard
If you did put Eldrad (if you used him) with the Guardians you are risking potentiall losing him to combat rez. I'd put him with the warlocks before I did that.

For an Ulthwe theme - if I'm using a Farseer he's going to have more thqan just one power....

Lazarus.
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

For an Ulthwe theme - if I'm using a Farseer he's going to have more thqan just one power....

I originally intended for him to have Mind War, for the usual reasons that power gets chosen... I just ran out of points.  ;)

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com

(100) Farseer w/Fortune & Runes of Warding.
(299) Warlocks x10 w/ Embolden x2, Enhance x2, Singing Spear x3.
(145) Wave Serpent w/ Twin-Linked Bright Lances, Spirit Stones.

(127) Storm Guardians x10 w/ Flamer x2.  Warlock w/ Destructor.

(130) Storm Guardians x10 w/ Fusion Gun x2.  Warlock w/Destructor & Singing Spear.

(125) Guardian Defenders x10 w/ Scatter Laser.  Warlock w/ Embolden.

Total: 2000 points
64 Infantry, 2 Monstrous Creatures, 5 Vehicles
5 Scoring Units, 14 Kill Points

moc-score

I sectioned the army list off into its working groups... as it helps me to rate it as I look for combo's etc.

1.. Anti-tank potential; The "Black Guardian" sections are really lacking in Anti-tank; while the rest of the army has decent to good potential; Overall I rate it as Average 0.6
2.. Anti-MEQ potential; The is no dedicated anti-MEQ although it does have some mass shooting or good CC potential... Overall I rate it as Slightly below Average 0.5
3.. Anti-Horde potential; Plenty of diversified shooting and some templates to help... so overall I rate it as Good 0.8
4.. Ranged Firepower potential; The use of Shur-cannons does not help its ranged firepower.... while other sections are actually really good... Thus I rate it as Above Average 0.7
5.. Assault potential; The Council is OK (Eldrad and an Autarch are just too easy to add, to overlook)... Other than that, I don't see huge CC potential (and little things like a different DA config could have helped... thus I rate it as Slightly Below Average 0.5
6.. Scoring Units / point level; 5 Scoring units is good, especailly considering that 4 are protected in a Ride and the other has armed Body guards... Overall I rate this as Good 0.8
7.. Durability or Resilience; The rides help, the Bodyguards help... but several little things were overlooked... thus I rate it as Average 0.6
8.. Flexability; Its a classic Hammer and Anvil style army with some options to Pincer, etc... it is Flexible; but it also has a certain predictability as well.. I rate it as Above Average though as a good General could do a lot with it... 0.7
9.. Mission Capabiliy; 14 Kill points is a bit heavy for a 2K list; but otherwise it would do well in any mission and with any deployment.. so I still rate it as Above Average 0.7
10. Dynamics and/or Theme; Eldrad is missing.. but the Black Gaurdian concept and other old school Ulthwe ideas are still very present, and as such I rate it as Good 0.8

Rating = 6.7/10.. Others might rate it differently; but I see this as  FUN list with potential to grow into a decent list vs all comers.

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 09:01:09 AM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Rating Pending, and suggestions too if you want.

Suggestions are welcome, I just don't plan on posting a revised list.  ;)

Join the Swordwind!

My Eldar Project

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
Rating done above...

Cheers.
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering