News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: translation challenge  (Read 2478 times)

Offline nihonian

translation challenge
« on: July 6, 2010, 08:26:26 PM »
hey all,

Sir Godspeed has just started doing a English-Norwegian translation of a few 40K texts on the fiction board, and it got me thinking that it might be cool if we picked a "key text" and tried to translate it into as many languages as possible. I don't think this really counts as "fiction" although translating is certainly a creative process, so I hope this is the right forum for it.

It might also be fun for those who only speak English to come up with translations into dialects of English or whatever.

Well, I hope at least a few of you think this could be a good idea :)

I am also hoping that this will be a way for those of us who speak other languages to help each other out and maybe work on a few joint translations...

anyway, anyone got any good ideas of what to translate? I think the text S-G chose is a good one, and I hope to stick up my first basic attempt at translation later today, or tomorrow-

"For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the Master of Mankind by the will of the gods and master of a million worlds by the might of his inexhaustible armies. He is a rotting carcass writhing invisibly with power from the Dark Age of Technology. He is the Carrion Lord of the Imperium, for whom a thousand souls die every day, for whom blood is drunk and flesh eaten. Human blood and human flesh – the stuff of which the Imperium is made.

There is no time for peace.
No respite.
No forgiveness.
There is only WAR!!

To be a man in such times is to be one amongst untold billions. It is to live in the cruellest and most bloody regime imaginable. This is the tale of those times.

Forget the power of technology and science, so much has been forgotten, never to be re-learned.
Forget the promise of progress and understanding, for in the grim dark future there is only war.
There is no peace amongst the stars,only an eternity of carnage and slaughter and the laughter of thirsting gods.