News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Curious About Members' Religions  (Read 14579 times)

Offline Athenys Manan

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Live from the Eye of Terror
Re: Curious About Members' Religions
« Reply #20 on: June 2, 2005, 11:57:34 PM »
I belong to the Egyptian Orthodox or 'Coptic' Church. My parents are both Catholic, and even sent me off to Catholic School for a year. Sadly I found that too many of the things that the Vatican espouses are at odds with what Jesus taught. As all protestant denominations are merely offshoots of the Catholic Church, they didn't do it for me either. 

Offline omnivision6

• psycho since '83
« Reply #21 on: June 3, 2005, 12:01:02 AM »
No religion in particular. My wife is catholic and luckily she doesn't make me go to the boring, IMO, services.
psycho since '83

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
« Reply #22 on: June 3, 2005, 12:08:04 AM »
Atheist. My 'working theory', if you will, is that there are no gods because I've never seen or heard of any good evidence for them. I accept that might be wrong because there's no solid disproof for gods either, but for now I don't believe in them.

Offline Jinx ShadowSong

• The Unreal
« Reply #23 on: June 3, 2005, 01:36:21 AM »
I'm supposed to be a muslim, and do follow some of the muslim rule (no eat pork), but I refuse to pray five times a day. God (if he does exist) haven't really done too much, even when i did prey...also, when i was in muslim school, the whole speech about "Muslims are superior. Other religions are just stupid," made me sick.

I'm currently a physicist (it's another religion, beleive me) so i guess you can count that as atheist. Never trusted god anyway...
Live to see tomorrow. Live to die tomorrow. Everyday - Cole Rift

"We are outnumbered and outgunned. So lets go behind them and slam something up their ass as hard and as quickly as possible" Shas'o Dal'yth Remi

Offline Major BigBadOgryn

• Major
  • Our pride is service, our duty is to die.
    • the best IG site on the net
« Reply #24 on: June 3, 2005, 02:03:50 AM »
I worship Cod, the patron deity of atheism.

www.cultofcod.com

In truth though, I guess I would be a theist.

Member Board 18 Chain of Command

From now until forever they shall utter our names. "Brave men," they'll say, "who fought for home and hearth; who stood proud when no light was left to see, when lands were drowned in blood. Strong men," they'll say, "who gave until their deaths."

Offline Scars

• Warning: He bites
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Spooky! Shocking!
    • Progressive Labour Party
« Reply #25 on: June 3, 2005, 03:17:25 AM »
Muslim, liberal Shia influenced by the Mu'tazili, Zaydi and Alevi.
'The genius of you Americans is that you never make clear-cut stupid moves, only complicated stupid
moves'
- Abd al-Nasir
Progressive Labour Party

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #26 on: June 3, 2005, 04:13:58 AM »
Personally, I'm a Zen-Taoist. I know for a fact, that there is a God(s), but I also think that if any, they would want me to be who I am. Zen-Taoism keeps me happy, which is the key to life, in my opinion.
Did you get that from Rasmus or from someone else?

Also, have you any linkd that explain the system?
    There are not many hundred Zen-Taoists in the world, but I am one, and I seem to have inspired young Aronious here. As for information; the link provided outlines Zen in a very very poor way, and Tao far too briefly to be worth much. Also, it does not adress the issue of the fusion of the two, so it really doesn't do all that much.
   However, finding resources for a religion of a few hundred is a lot harder than finding some of the masses of millions, like Atheism, or Islam, or the myriad variations of Christianity. I never read anything about Zen-Taoism. I just figued it was the way it was, and then learned therewere others (albeit few) who thought the same way, and that it was called "Zen-Taoism". After looking into this I found that this explained the things I knew better than I have been able to do personally before.
   Zen-Taoism is not a religion, however. It is a faith. There is no set practice (going to church, praying or the likes) and there is no hierarchy, priests, monks or church. There is just you and your understanding. There is nothing more boring than a discussion between Zen-Taoists with a basic grasp of the world.
"Death"
"Yeah."
"Change"
"Ah-huh."
"Rain"
"Absolutely"

It just all "clicks" and most other things lose their relvance in the light of this understanding.

If you have further questions I am, as always, happy to answer them.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline splanckno

• supreme warlock of faolchu bhazhakkhaine
« Reply #27 on: June 3, 2005, 04:36:57 AM »
I am atheist.
It is not that I don't believe in god, but I believe that god doesn't exist
And it is far better like this. After all, if I could spot a responsible for all the death in the world, and all the suffering, I should start burning its worship places, no?

Nothing is worth an eldar life, a non eldar life is worth nothing

"give me what I want, or we will all die, here and now"

Offline Sgt. Dellius

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Domintis Ultramarini
« Reply #28 on: June 3, 2005, 07:03:40 AM »

Also, apparently the eye is so complex that the pieces to make it could not have sustained each other without other pieces, and unless they were evolved at the same time, they eye would not work the way it does now. This came from my Algebra II teacher last year.

As a little side note there, I've been told the eye has came about at least 19 times. Now, either the creator's doing a lot of mod's and upgrades, or it's evolving really randomly. So really, it all depends on which eye is so complex.

As an atheist, I sometimes find myself wondering exaclty why all these complex things can't have occured by accident. My conclusion? there's no reason why it couldn't have all been a great cosmic coincidence. Basically, whilst both sides have all thier flaws, I basically have decided that, due to the fact Religion has genuine inconsitencies rather than gaps we can't fill in due to some bloke with a bible jumping up and down in them, I basically have to say that I don't belive in god for the same reason many religious people do belive in god: I feel it, I know it, in my head, in my mind: there isn't a god.

At least that way if I'm wrong I can plead insanity. ;D

Offline Vespasian Swiper

• Dear Live Journal...
  • Damn Dora...
    • Club DM
« Reply #29 on: June 3, 2005, 07:06:40 AM »
Church of England Protestant! Yay! :D
Its an even stranger day when you have a fat Games Workshop-Fanboy Ninja declare to end you for something you did for April Fools on Teh Interwebz.

It's a strange day in the world where I find myself agreeing more often than not with Swiper.  :D

Offline Heretek

• General Freyberg | Out, damn'd Grot! | Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #30 on: June 3, 2005, 07:08:52 AM »
Aetheism, you misguided fools! ;) Although I think everyone is entitled to there own beliefs and respect them for it, I just don't belive.

Offline kharn012000

• The world is flat I tell you
  • I pick fights with fighting_scars!
« Reply #31 on: June 3, 2005, 08:06:31 AM »
Nondenominational Christian.

Offline Molotov Shadowhunter

« Reply #32 on: June 3, 2005, 02:56:28 PM »
Church of England. I have my reasons. A few of them being I only believe in that which I am sure of,
And I am not a typical christian, I don't like having to regularly go to church (i.e. I don't :)).
But I know a lot more than I probably should...

Molotov

Offline Vespasian Swiper

• Dear Live Journal...
  • Damn Dora...
    • Club DM
« Reply #33 on: June 3, 2005, 03:05:12 PM »
Similar to me then, asides from I believe that the Pope is not chosen by God and that the Virgin Mary being raised to a similar level as Jesus is wrong - sorry if this is considered flaming, its merely my opinion
Its an even stranger day when you have a fat Games Workshop-Fanboy Ninja declare to end you for something you did for April Fools on Teh Interwebz.

It's a strange day in the world where I find myself agreeing more often than not with Swiper.  :D

Offline Tuisich-Anastari

• Raven Lord of the Alfheim Craftworld
« Reply #34 on: June 3, 2005, 03:14:15 PM »
I'm a reformed, evangelical baptist, or something like that.  I'm a Christian whose theology is largely influenced by the reformed (i.e. calvinist) tradition.  I was not raised Christian and spent most of my teen years as an atheist/agnostic.

T-A
« Last Edit: June 3, 2005, 03:18:47 PM by Tuisich-Anastari »
"A careful study of the Bible would convince many people that it is a very different
book than they assume it to be." --Loraine Boettner, The Reformed Doctrine Of Predestination

This post is dedicated to all those who never have a post dedicated to them.

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Don't Panic; It's Open-Source!
    • The Place Where I Put Stuff Online
« Reply #35 on: June 3, 2005, 03:18:23 PM »
I follow my own self-created mish-mash of various religions.  For the mostpart I'm a through-and-through fence-sitter (otherwise known as an agnostic).  I accept the possibility that there may be one, or indeed many, god(s).  But based on current so-called "proofs" I can't bring myself to unswervingly believe that such a being exists.  Until I see concrete proof either way I will sit merrily on my fencepost.

As for what I actually do believe in, I follow a bit of lots of various religions.  Some of the Ten Commandments are just good rules to live by ("Thou shalt not murder" and "Thou shalt not steal" are pretty obvious ones).  Some of the Satanic Commandments are good too; "Don't be stupid".  I also like the Buddhist idea that one can achieve a state of inner peace and enlightenment.  And I follow a few Wiccan/Druidic/Pagan ideas about revering nature and learning how to use natural items and phenomena without causing environmental harm.  I also like to think of myself as open-minded and accepting that everyone can find their own path.  What works for one person might not work for someone else, so don't go around trying to convert people to your faith.

Offline Molotov Shadowhunter

« Reply #36 on: June 3, 2005, 03:19:11 PM »
Similar to me then, asides from I believe that the Pope is not chosen by God and that the Virgin Mary being raised to a similar level as Jesus is wrong - sorry if this is considered flaming, its merely my opinion

I don't class it as flaming, it's an opinion. I'll be damned if anyone else thinks it is flaming.

I don't follow the vatican (am CofE), and therefore not the will of the Pope.
Although some of his words should be taken on board by more than just Christians.

Offline Brother Asreus

• Brother Captain, Resident Spokesman for Idiots.
  • Ancient
  • Closed captioned for the thinking impaired
« Reply #37 on: June 3, 2005, 03:28:34 PM »
Zen Buddhist of the Dogen zenji line. Member of the White Wind Zen Community and Dainen-ji.

Cthulhu for Pres in 2012!!! Why vote for the lesser of all evils?

Offline pathfinder

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • army funded with lotto winnings since 1996
« Reply #38 on: June 3, 2005, 07:57:12 PM »
I'm a quaker (and no the oatmeal company was started by Babtists so people would think the company was caring generous and such, and we aren't like Amish) now that i got the usual questions when i say this out of the way, all i can tell you is that my meeting bases itself on the basic principles of the religion Simplicity, peace integrity and communty then has us explore many religious philosopies and make our own theological beliefs

Offline PostHumous

« Reply #39 on: June 3, 2005, 08:13:20 PM »
I'll call myself an atheist, though I have read Tao Te Ching, and find many of its ideas interesting.  I could not see myself believing in a deity; I just don't feel it I guess.  However the Tao is nothing like a deity, more like the absence of stuff.  What exactly is Zen Taoism?  That web sight is not very specific, it seems more like a very brief history than an explanation of theology.