News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 329864 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters
« on: November 7, 2010, 10:02:08 AM »
Hey gang. Been awhile since I've uploaded any photos of my army, thats because I've been converting my old Ulthwe army to my new Corsair Warhost! My concept for my Corsairs is that their leader (former Autarch) inspired his warhost to go to the aid of a besieged Exodite world against the wishes of his Craftworld, and were consequently exiled for disobedience. The concept may not be classical Eldar Corsair according to the fluff (I'm sure Irisado is frowning somewhere out there  :P  ) but its an idea I like so I'm going with it. Anyway here is how things are coming along:

UPDATED LORE:

From a lore perspective my Corsair warband known as the Lions of Asuryan are led by Corsair Prince I’llyarion, a former Autarch of Craftworld Y’lduin. He was exiled from his Craftworld after after leading his warhost to aid a besieged Exodite world that lay in the path of Abaddon’s 13th Black Crusade against the commands of his Farseers. In an unprecedented move, his entire Warhost and several shrines of Aspect Warriors followed him into exile.

With a large warhost at his command, Prince I’llyarion quickly ascended to the elite upper echelons of Eldar outcasts even carving out a realm for himself in the webway. His warhost would expand greatly as the years went by, fueled by victory and a vision of restoring the ancient Aeldari empire the Lions of Asuryan drew many followers from the Drukhari Kabals, Craftworld outcasts, rival Corsair warhosts and even Harlequin masques.

When the Y’nnari rose to prominence, the Lions of Asuryan answered the call of Y’vraine as the shared vision of restoring the ancient Aeldari empire made them natural allies.

RECENT IMAGES (Check the later pages of this thread for current models and projects)

Ye Old Models from 2010!!!

Here is my Autarch

Dire Avenger Raiders

My Autarch's Farseer councilor and his disciples

My Scorpions

WIP Exodite Outrider Conscripts

And finally my Autarch's Dire Avenger Honor Guard

More to come so stay tuned!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 06:36:34 PM by Cavalier »
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
Re: Corsair Army
« Reply #1 on: November 7, 2010, 05:03:27 PM »
Good use of Dark Elves bits. Corsairs I presume?

Striking paint scheme, too. Very unique.

I like it.
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #2 on: November 8, 2010, 07:51:32 AM »
Thanks my dark kinsmen! Yeah I pillaged the Corsairs set from WF. I make extensive use of the fantasy line to add variety to my army. Thanks for the praise I appreciate it!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 11:05:42 AM »
MORE WIP!

Prism Squadron Leader

War Hawks

Fire Dragons (Crappy Photo)

« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 02:54:21 PM by Cavalier »

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 02:08:53 PM »
I really like your painting.

It's very crisp and the selection of colours is great. You don't see those combinations very often but I think it is the right blend of light and dark colours.

Can't wait to see more of your work.
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 04:32:58 PM »
Thanks alot, I try to go for super-hero color pairing combinations, and try to let the primer do a lot of the work for me. Sometimes my models look a little under-painted but with Eldar things can get really muddy and ruin the look of the model itself. I really appreciate your comments as well as your work on the rumors page. Keep an eye out for Eldar Codex 5.0!!!!

As a note to anyone else scoping out my models: My wave serpent fleet is coming up next, as well as my Wraith units, and a pic of my whole army.

Offline battle brother

• With greed, comes great power
Re: Eldar Corsair Army
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 07:54:52 PM »
you are my idol, i look up to you now (creepy)

Offline Aristo

• Armies: Dark Eldar
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 10:58:23 AM »
I'm liking the convsersions! Who knew Dark Elf bitz would look so good on Eldar? I have to say I'm especially a fan of the Exodite outriders and Dire Avengers.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 01:33:18 PM »
Hey guys thanks for all the kind praise! Got some more stuff cooking in the oven. My Eldar Grav Fleet is slowly taking form, and my Wraithwall is slowly being painted as well. Comments and crits always welcomed!

Again these are all WIP so they look a little rough. But here they are:

Again thanks guys for the nice posts it really spurs me on to keep painting and assembling thanks!!!

« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 02:58:14 PM by Cavalier »

Offline darthplagis

• Time to crack out the bongos.
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 11:38:09 PM »
WOW! ;D

great job, truly inspirational models. i love the conversions the DElf bits really do carry over to the corsair/exodite fluff and paint work is great too :)

getting me all pumped up to get my DEldar going  :o

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 06:34:39 AM »
@ Battle Brother: Feel free to idolize, I'm Eldar player so you know I'm at least a little vain  :P  But seriously thanks for the nice comments.

@ Korrdeth Xyrnndien: Thanks for the comments on my Exodites. My idea for them is that since my renegade Autarch went to their aid, they've begun sending elite conscripts to aid him. The Outriders are just the first conversion, my Dragon Knights will be soon to follow, as well as mini-titans which will be Warwalker/Wraithlord conversion.

@DarthPlagis: Thanks for the comments as well. The Dark Elf bits are amazing. I've bought so many kits, and I have bits flowing out of my ears. I highly recommend the entire Elven fantasy line to Eldar players dark or otherwise, but especially if for Dark Eldar players. The hand to hand weapons are just gruesome looking, and they come with tons of skull-laden banners and Cthulu icons. They're absolutely awesome. So thanks again for the comments!

Offline battle brother

• With greed, comes great power
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 07:08:42 PM »
likin the the wraithguard ;D and what did you use for your Farseer???

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 11:54:05 AM »
Hey Battle-Brother. Thanks for the comments on the Wraithguard, they're far from complete and the photo doesn't do much for them either, as the lighting in this cave I presently dwell in makes taking photos really difficult.

As for the Farseer that is the original Eldar Farseer from Rogue Trader. Its my favorite Farseer model. As far as I'm concerned all the newer ones have paled in comparison to the original.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 03:02:03 PM by Cavalier »

Offline Algavinn of the Many Paths

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Stockholm syndrome is a great way to pickup chicks
« Reply #13 on: December 9, 2010, 12:55:46 AM »
Just dropping in a reply to watch the progress of your army!  Love the colour schemes for your aspect warriors, bloody brilliant, and very well done.  The Fire Dragons are probably my favorite.  May have actual comments later when I have time to take in the thread a bit more.  Keep it up!
The 40k0 projects are constantly looking for contributors and editors.  If you feel up to the job, PM me for info.

Join us in the new General Tactics and Strategy forum: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?board=115.0

Slaughtering Mon Keigh and reclaiming the galaxy since 1992

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2010, 03:05:08 PM »
Had to reload a bunch of images, so there may be some new ones scattered throughout my posts so check above for something you may not have seen before.

@Algavinn- Thanks for your nice comments, especially about my colour scheme. By the way I love your articles, I've read them and re-read them many times. Your one of my faves on the forum.

@ Everyone Else: I moved to a new place with much much better lighting so expect more photos soon. Here is another early WIP of my Exodite Outriders (guardian jetbikes)

« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 04:58:53 PM by Cavalier »

Offline Pherion

• Arolkay Painting
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 08:27:02 PM »
This army looks absolutely fantastic :)  Very nice and clean paintjobs!

A few thing's I'd suggest:

A few of your highlights look a little thick and stark.  For instance the old bug eye'd farseer.  The highlights on the red and yellow are very thick.  I'd suggest doing an extra layer or two of intermediate color to give them more of a gradient.

Is the red on the Prism done?  It looks rather flat.  Some edge highlights might give it some more depth.

I'll be keeping an eye :)  Oh and the fire dragons and swooping hawk look completely awesome :)
http://www.arolkay.com - My Blog
http://www.arolkay.com/PaintingWiki - WikiPaint!  Come help build a comprehensive modeling and painting Wiki!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 03:56:01 PM »
@ Pherion: Hey man thanks for the comments, but also for the crits. I have a tendency to get real thick on the highlights, and its definitely the lack of a mid-range gradient that holds back the fine details from looking good. Thanks for pin-pointing it because I really wasn't sure myself, so thanks!

Anyway here are some WIP

updates. Here is my Shadow Sect Scorpions. The fluff I'm developing for my army is that Karandras sent a unit of Shadow Sect to support my rogue Autarch, which sent shockwaves across the Craftworlds.

These photos aren't great but here goes:

These are WIPS, but they should be finished this week. I'll make sure to get some good photos when they're finished. More updates soon!

Offline Tethesis

• Dreamers come and go, but the dream's forever
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 06:23:36 PM »
Beautiful army, love everything about it, want MOAR!!!

Eldar fight dirty! d(ºwº)b

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2010, 08:54:17 AM »
@ Tethesis: Thanks for the kind words, and you shall have MOAR! BTW I like your Avatar, old Link rocks!

Just a quickie: I've been assembling Vypers, Prisms, and Falcons of which I'll post pics as soon as they're primed (waiting for red primer to arrive at my LGS). Anyway, been plugging away, Scorpions are almost done, and I've begun work on my Outriders.

Here's an early WIP of one of my Exodite Outriders...

More to come soon...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 08:55:34 AM by Cavalier »

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2010, 12:30:07 PM »
Hey gang. Another quick post. Here's the 1st warlock in my Exodite Warlock Council (proxies for jetbike council of course). Gonna work on the rest of the squad this afternoon, hopefully have a group shot for tomorrow. As always there is more to come...