News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Flechette question  (Read 468 times)

Offline Tarrin the Space Marine

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • It's ok to be scared...
Flechette question
« on: November 25, 2007, 05:18:32 PM »
Ok, this weekend my glorious tau won 2 games against chaos and marines. In the list i was trying out some stuff i wouldn't normally use.

During the marine game i used a devilfish (landed) as hard cover for some stealth. It was towards the end of the game which i had sewn up. i was pushing for max points. He had stunned it previously with shooting, so it couldn't move.

My opponent then moved out to assault the fish with a squad carrying a powerfist. He elected not to shoot his melta gun, and charge the landed fish hoping to total it and sweep into the stealth that were using it as 1" protection.

He charged in, and i used my flechette discharges to attack the incoming squad. He in return informed me that only the sergeant was attacking (as he was the only one who could hurt it), therefore the flechette attack could only be directed at him.

As it was running late, i said "fine".

Was i correct?

Should the flechette attacks be:

a: The whole unit as the sarge can hurt it, but the rest of the squad beat ineffectively on the AV12?

or:

b: Just the sarge as the rest watch the powerfist go to work?

I know you can hold back shooting attacks, but i was unsure if you can hold back CC attacks. I don't think you could.

However, everything about Tarrin is unfair and should be sanctioned with extreme prejudice.

The Globals have issued a 2:1 ruling that yes, yes everything about Tarrin is indeed unfair. We have also been sullied merely by contemplating this.

Offline Frgsinwntr

• Sisters burn
Re: Flechette question
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 05:56:58 PM »
The whole Unit attacks.  I have the small rulebook from Macaragge, but it says on page 38 under "who can fight,"  "all models that are engaged fight with their full number of attacks" 

Therefore... all models are affected by the discharger. 

It doesn't mean they don't attack... Its just that they can't do anything.  In fact if they were going after a dread, they would be "distracting it," or against a vehicle they would be picking the commander up and tossing him on top of the skimmer.   
Chain swords are awesome.  The only way would be cooler is if they had tits and were on fire.

Offline Noble

• Everybody else was doing it...
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 05:58:24 PM »
The guy was wrong. If you want to charge a unit, but only one guy can affect it, that doesn't mean that you can elect to have the rest of the unit as not part of the combat. The whole unit must assault your tank in order for the sergeant to attack it, so they are all really part of it.

Damn I was ninja'd by the last guy. But anyway, his explanation was funnier.

Offline chardison1980

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 07:49:43 PM »
yeah the whole squad attacks, and when attacking a vehicle or a tank of some sort you CAN NOT sweep or consilidate after wards, so if he did destroy your tank then they are left in the open to be wasted by your army.

Offline Tarrin the Space Marine

• Sullied Smug
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • It's ok to be scared...
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 08:11:05 PM »
i thought so. i guess i didn't argue it as i was all over him like a cheap suit.

However, everything about Tarrin is unfair and should be sanctioned with extreme prejudice.

The Globals have issued a 2:1 ruling that yes, yes everything about Tarrin is indeed unfair. We have also been sullied merely by contemplating this.