News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Possible new campaign  (Read 1546 times)

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
Possible new campaign
« on: February 28, 2015, 04:58:16 PM »
So, I've never run a campaign online - a few in person, and thought I'd like to give it a go.

At the moment, I'm just looking to see if there is any interest. I'd like to use the pathfinder rule set, as much of what players need can be found at Pathfinder_OGC.

Ideally, I'd like about 4-6 players.

Basic story line is a group of neophytes in service to the church, whose task is to hunt and execute enemies of the church.

Classes can be created from any of the base, core, alternate, or hybrid classes. Prestige classes can be acquired when the correct prerequisite is met.

If you are interested in playing, please say so below along with a name, race, class, and gender and bio.

A bit of back ground now on the campaign

In the wake of the 8th death and re-birth of the God, Dianese, the church created the order of the Children of Her Mercy, or as it was known to the common folk - the inquisition. Doctrine had finally been solidified, and the High priestess of Dianese was determined that a 9th death should not occur. Therefore it was decreed that any man or woman may present themselves to the Children of Her Mercy as a supplicant to protect the Church and Dianese. They would relinquish all claims, titles, and inheritance, and would strive to protect the church from its enemies.

Three centuries latter, Dianese still lives, protected by her followers. The Children of Her Mercy have succeed in their quests to safeguard her, and her followers. As the times have passed, the rites and traditions of the Children have solidified, and it is considered a great honor to serve. Indeed, there are few positions with less power and esteem then that of Inquisitor. Many a young adventurer has sought to join the ranks of the Children.

Yet the years have not been without trouble. Rival gods, and their followers constantly seek to undermine or even Kill Dianese. War is a constant threat, and heresies within the Church itself, while not common, are still a threat. Dianese herself has not been seen in nearly 300 years, and there are rumors that she my have abandoned her people, or even been killed yet again.

In this setting, a small group of neophytes embark on their first of several tests set before them by the Church - to see if they are worthy of being full members of the Children of Her Mercy.
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline azore24

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: Possible new campaign
« Reply #1 on: March 1, 2015, 06:36:32 PM »
I'd be willing to give it a try, though I've no knowledge of Pathfinder, with only one game of 4e under my belt.  I'd be something with high charisma, however, so you may be in for a bomBardment of puns.

azore24
Unsophisticated players might think that the Letter of the rules is more important than the Spirit - but the Letter isn't liable to sneak up behind you with an axe if you abuse it.
"Esprit de Core," 2005

« Reply #2 on: March 1, 2015, 07:06:02 PM »
That's not a problem.  Pathfinder is basically dnd 3.5. It was created as a response to the rather poor rules of 4th ed

All the typical classes are there, along with many others. If you want help in selecting a class, or sub class, just let me know and I'll be happy to help. Pretty much everything thing imaginable is there :)

Some classes that are charisma dependent are:
Bard -  musical spellcaster
Paladin -  righteous cusader
Sorcerer -  spellcaster
Cavalier - mounted warrior
Oracle -  limited but powerful spellcaster
Summoner -  summon and create your own personal fighting monster
Antipaladin -  fallen paladin
Samurai - Asian style Cavalier
Skald -  historian and Bard like but less powerful and more durable
And Swashbuckler

Of course almost any class can be a charisma style class

Hope that helps

« Last Edit: March 1, 2015, 07:27:22 PM by faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run) »
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #3 on: March 2, 2015, 09:54:40 AM »
Would you be opposed to someone pretty much learning as we go? I've never played Pathfinder or D&D (though I have some limited experience with a few Star Wars RPGs, most notably the semi-new Edge of the Empire rules).

Also, what kind of time-frames would we be looking at? (i.e. how long would the campaign run, how often would we need to submit actions/play, etc)

« Reply #4 on: March 2, 2015, 11:37:28 AM »
I am more then happy to have ppl learn as we go. The rule set is so large it's impossible not to unless you have a PhD in the rules  ;)

As for time frame, I'd like to have updates fairly regularly.  About once every three days or so, although with combat I'd update as soon as ppl had said their bit.

OK, so character creation. First is to pick gender. Doesn't really impact anything, so pick away

Second is to pick race.

The races are as follows:

Dwarf
Elf
Gnome
Half-elf
Half-ork
Hafling
And human

Each race has its benefits and drawbacks, except for humans which are perfectly balanced but as a result get no real bonuses.

Details can be found at Races - Pathfinder_OGC

I am also thinking that if you two are the only ones interested in playing, I can create a third character that will act alongside as a companion, to help with the quests. That is if you are still interested

After race comes class.
Classes - Pathfinder_OGC
There are many types of classes, and if you want help in picking one, then just let me know. You can describe how you'd like to play, and I can give advise. If you are just starting out, then the core classes are a great set to pick from as they are very clearly defined in roles and abilities

Those can be easily grouped into a few categories

Your barbarian, fighter, monk and Ranger are all no frills fighters.  They can be ranged, melee, or any unarmed.

Wizard, and sorcerer are your full magic options. They are not very strong in combat, unless their magic makes them so. 

Then there is the druid, cleric, Bard, and Paladin. They are a mix of combat and magic, with different concentration and mixes.

Then there is the Rouge who deserves his own category. He is simply combat, but also has a bunch of tools with regards to navigating traps, locks, and generally sly and underhanded tasks.

Of course the other classes are also fully available to you, and of you want any more details on a class, just ask.

Also, something that needs to be said, is that I am permitting gunslingers as a class. Some DM really don't like em, other do. I think the early style guns are well balanced and can offer some neat flavor -  should anyone want to use them.
« Last Edit: March 3, 2015, 09:41:05 PM by faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run) »
Flawless logic.