News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Artcore's Army Diary - Ultramarines  (Read 30172 times)

Offline Artcore

• "It's such a fine line between stupid and clever"
    • My jazz combo: Starlight Jazz Trio
  • Armies: Ultra Marines
Re: Artcore's Army Diary - Ultramarines
« Reply #80 on: April 1, 2010, 05:21:22 AM »
Hey Lazuli, I don't know exactly what you mean. Could you link a pic of the effect you described?

Thanks

Art

Offline Artcore

« Reply #81 on: April 2, 2010, 06:40:28 AM »
Here's my Godhammer Land Raider; ready to get some highlights (hopefully soon). Also I want to decorate it with the FW Etch Brass stuff but don't know yet how to do that.

And, off topic, a totally different project: an old Deff Dread from a friend. A fun conversion project and a different flavor after painting a year only Ultramarines. The only blue on this one will be one of the SM helmets on the spears :)

Offline -Lazuli-

• Lazuli Painting
« Reply #82 on: April 2, 2010, 09:03:49 AM »
Hey Artcore, can't comment on the pics, blocked on school's internet connetion. I made a tutorial on that technique later. I did the painting and took pictures already, can't post at school though. I'll get it on tonight.

Offline Artcore

« Reply #83 on: April 4, 2010, 10:30:58 AM »
Yesterday I received my 2nd Drop Pod and ordered the 3rd Drop Pod since Maelstrom had a nice easter discount :)

I immediately assembled the DP, leaving out the interior (chairs and what not) because this one is for my dreadnought (and I hate to paint that stuff!). Right now I'm painting it and I've decided to paint it very simple: blue and metal, no whites and reds like the other one cause it took me so much time! It's still not finished  >:( So this one will be simple but good & fast.

Also I played a very nice 2000p Battle Mission; the one where Marines have to defend one objective. Used some of my new stuff: the LSS with cc scouts, LR with Assault Terminators, 2nd drop pod. All worked very well and I won the game.

Offline dalaran1991

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #84 on: April 4, 2010, 12:12:38 PM »
What color and what paint brand did u use for the ultramarine blue? Come out really good.

Offline Artcore

« Reply #85 on: April 4, 2010, 12:43:16 PM »
What color and what paint brand did u use for the ultramarine blue? Come out really good.

Thanks Dalaran, basically is use Mordian Blue foundation paint, then Dabab Black wash on recesses, then Ultramarine Blue. After that I add more shading with Babab or Blue wash if necessary. I finish the blue with one or two highlights mixing Ultra and Skull White.

If I'm painting a more important model like a sergeant or something I use another layer between the foundation and the Ultramarine. That's a mix of Ultra and Regal Blue to go between Mordian and Ultra.

Offline dalaran1991

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #86 on: April 4, 2010, 07:08:32 PM »
I would never find the patience to do all that. You're the man ;)

Offline Artcore

« Reply #87 on: April 5, 2010, 05:43:00 AM »
I would never find the patience to do all that. You're the man ;)

:D

Well, if u just do the foundation, black wash and then Ultramarine Blue the result will be good for the tabletop.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #88 on: April 7, 2010, 06:33:48 AM »
Well I lurked in here for quite some time as I truely enjoyed watching this thread and your army progress into its current state.

Very Well Done overall.

I must say that personal favourites are:
• Autocannon Dread (I did one with both arms being a-cannons -- wicked dakka dread btw)...
• Razorback (I love removable turrets)
• Joe Marine (As the consistancy over all that infantry is incredible).

Only suggestion that I have... is to put in a few mor WIP pics for the guys that are not so adept as yourself...

Thanks for sharing all this Artcore.

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Artcore

« Reply #89 on: April 7, 2010, 06:58:13 AM »
Hey Moc,
Thanks for your compliments and attention for my painting! I know you're a very good painter so I take your words with great honor  ;D

Only suggestion that I have... is to put in a few mor WIP pics for the guys that are not so adept as yourself...

More WIP pics heh? Also with explanations of what paints I use? Thing is my camera is always out of batteries  :D but I just bought some new ones so you can expect some pics of my progress very soon! I'll also try to a 'tutorial' or whatever on how I paint blue; maybe that's nice for some people.

thanks,

Art

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #90 on: April 7, 2010, 07:07:20 AM »
Thanks! :)

And another thing finished: the Whirlwind Rocket Launcher.

The chassis is from my Razorback; the turrets just switch :)

(Image removed from quote.)

The Ultra symbol is from Forge World Brass Etch.

ARGHHH.... you need to attack those missile tips with a little spot of green stuff. the miss-casting really brings down the model, and it would be a shame to leave it like that considering the level of the rest of the force.

please please please fill in those tips... it shouldn't take TOO long (he says) and the best thing is that you can smooth out and shape the green stuff using files if it dries and you aren't completely happy with the initial sculpting.

Offline Artcore

« Reply #91 on: April 7, 2010, 07:17:14 AM »
ARGHHH.... you need to attack those missile tips with a little spot of green stuff. the miss-casting really brings down the model, and it would be a shame to leave it like that considering the level of the rest of the force.

Yeah I know it's a miscast (didn't do it myself) but I don't mind actually. They could be 'meant to be' like that?

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #92 on: April 7, 2010, 08:07:17 AM »
that sounds like the sort of justification i'd come up with. but being modellers i think other gamers will spot it. i suppose its one of those things that doesnt need to be right away, but i would definately consider tidying that up. like i said, it would be a shame not to...

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #93 on: April 7, 2010, 09:15:55 AM »

Yeah I know it's a miscast (didn't do it myself) but I don't mind actually. They could be 'meant to be' like that?

As a real life Weapons Technician, I can almost Guarentee that the Cone section of the missile would be as uniform and as arodynamic as possible.... Its nothing like bullets that could of course be hollow point, as a Missile flies (has a thrust component, etc) and is not just thrown through the air (rifling helps the bullet stay on tragectory).

Funny thing is ,that I didn't even notice them earlier, as I am not realy a fan of Whirlwinds.

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Artcore

« Reply #94 on: April 7, 2010, 11:55:38 AM »
As a real life Weapons Technician, I can almost Guarentee that the Cone section of the missile would be as uniform and as arodynamic as possible.... Its nothing like bullets that could of course be hollow point, as a Missile flies (has a thrust component, etc) and is not just thrown through the air (rifling helps the bullet stay on tragectory).
Not possible eh? Thought so  :-[ So that would be more fiction than science  :P

i suppose its one of those things that doesnt need to be right away, but i would definately consider tidying that up. like i said, it would be a shame not to...

OK, it's on the to-do list. But that's a long list: finishing 15 terminators, painting a few HQ's, modeling and painting the DA Sternguards, painting 2 Drop Pods, a LS Typhoon, 15 Tactical People, finishing the vindi...  :P I bought a bit too much lately  :D

So I took a lot of pictures from finished stuff and WIP.

First, I thought it might be nice to show you my 'mobile painting desk':

This is my 2nd Drop Pod. Received it friday, assembled it right away for that evening's battle, and started painting the next day. The previous DP took me ages and this one has to be faster; so less colors, just blue and metal. Still takes ages... LOL And the 3rd Pod is in the mail!  ;D

This is just Mordian Blue Foundation and Boltgun Metal.

Because I use the DP a lot for Dreadnought and because I hate to paint the 'seats' this one is empty inside.

Yesterday I went on with the DA Sternguard prototype model. After painting foundation grey, astronimican grey (also foundation) I did some shading with Blue Wash. Then I did Spacewolf Grey, then SW Grey with Skull White and finally pure White. It's hard to make good pictures of the white robes, don't know why. But I'm sure about this method to paint white. I think the shadings were a bit too dark sometimes and the top layers should be thinned down with water to make it more smooth.

Check out this Chapterhouse shoulder pad!

The Bolter will be re-painted cause this gold sucks. What do you think? Any tips on painting white robes with blue shades?

Now on to the TFC Techmarine. This model is so sweet. But it was a b&tch to assemble. I pinned the backpack and painted it separately (I never do that). It was very satisfying to finish it and glue the backpack on after spending 6 months on my painting slate!  :)

Ready for battle!

A WIP marine: black basecoat, mordian blue foundation, black wash on recesses. Bolter is boltgun metal with the black wash (dabab or something). The base I did with Granite Foundation paint. Next steps will be Ultramarine Blue, gold, brighter red (mix of blood and crimson) and highlights for the blue.

The Vindicator: I painted this one almost a year ago but apparently I never finished it. It won't take long so I'll finish it someday soon.

Now, last but not least is the Land Speeder Storm with finished driver! This little speeder and his CC & combi-flamer squad did very well against IG last week.

Wow, that was a lot! C&C welcome!

Art  8)

Offline Artcore

« Reply #95 on: April 8, 2010, 12:51:04 PM »
The second Sternguard Veteran. I used a storm bolter magazine to convert the bolter and raided my bitsbox for pouches, grenades and scrolls.

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #96 on: April 8, 2010, 09:11:28 PM »
Very nice modelling on the second Sternguard. I'm impressed. My one comment is his right shoulderpad (left on the picture - bolter arm) doesn't cover the joint of his shoulder adequately, and leaves some of the flat under-area showing.

The Marine bolter you have on the WIP looks fairly well done. I'd think about doing the casing, if the rest of your models have it, but otherwise that's very nice work. I assume on the DA Sternguard 1, and the WIP Marine, both models are going to be cleaned up and have a bit more depth to them? They look a little underwhelming compared to your other work.

As far as white robes go, I don't know. I imagine it'd be very difficult to do right. I have a tough enough time doing bleached bone robes. Alternatively, you could try a number of 'bone robe' methods and highlight to white.

Offline Artcore

« Reply #97 on: April 9, 2010, 04:01:57 AM »
Very nice modelling on the second Sternguard. I'm impressed.

Thanks!  ;D

My one comment is his right shoulderpad (left on the picture - bolter arm) doesn't cover the joint of his shoulder adequately, and leaves some of the flat under-area showing.

I know... it sucks right? I could jank the arm off and cut away some plastic. But I don't know if it's going to be 'weired' when it's properly painted.

The Marine bolter you have on the WIP looks fairly well done. I'd think about doing the casing, if the rest of your models have it, but otherwise that's very nice work. I assume on the DA Sternguard 1, and the WIP Marine, both models are going to be cleaned up and have a bit more depth to them? They look a little underwhelming compared to your other work.

Yeah, both are WIP. No ultramarine blue yet, no details. For this army I didn't paint the bolter casings but for the Sternguard I think I will. Not sure how though. I want their bolters to look special because of their ammo; maybe I could try black bolters with gold ammo?

As far as white robes go, I don't know. I imagine it'd be very difficult to do right. I have a tough enough time doing bleached bone robes. Alternatively, you could try a number of 'bone robe' methods and highlight to white.

I really wanna go for the bluewhite but I figure next guy will be better. Just need more subtle shading and 'milkier' white layers.

Offline StraightSilver

« Reply #98 on: April 9, 2010, 04:49:32 AM »
You are once again depressing me with the amount of work you have done!!  ;D

Seriously though, this army must be getting HUGE now, and it's looking fantastic. I especially love your vehicles, which is something my Ultras are in desperate need of!

And I'm glad you are painting up a land Speeder Storm, it's one of my favourite models but I haven't got around to getting one yet, so I will be watching your's whilst feeling guilty about not giving my marines any love.....
Dig in, and wait for winter.

Offline Artcore

« Reply #99 on: April 9, 2010, 05:21:18 AM »
You are once again depressing me with the amount of work you have done!!  ;D

So my evil masterplan is working eh?  ;D

Well sometimes I get depressed when I see the amazing quality of your painting so I guess we're even.

Seriously though, this army must be getting HUGE now, and it's looking fantastic. I especially love your vehicles, which is something my Ultras are in desperate need of!
Thanks Chris. Yeah it's getting quite big now. I've been playing some 2000pts battles lately and usually there's just a few WIPs on the table: very nice  :D

And I'm glad you are painting up a land Speeder Storm, it's one of my favourite models but I haven't got around to getting one yet, so I will be watching your's whilst feeling guilty about not giving my marines any love.....

Well, you give a lot of love to your Guardsmen.  ;)

LOL  ;D ;D ;D