News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Can't get Kroot off my mind  (Read 3075 times)

Offline jawmonkey

• My disgust for you is only matched by my rage.
Can't get Kroot off my mind
« on: September 27, 2011, 01:35:17 AM »
Wow, this Lost and Damned section is silent like a graveyard, I hope this works...

I'm slowly coming to somewhat of a completion with my latest army (Space Pirates, argh!), and am getting close to needing to start the next. I really like/miss the old Kroot mercenaries. To start I should say that I'm aware that the Chapter Approved article is no longer valid/outdated, also a (somewhat satisfactory) Apocalypse datasheet for Kroot Mercenaries exists, and the occasional wayward unofficial fandex ("I have a 200 model Kroot army... that I can never use"[sigh]). However, I want something a bit better and more likely to get more play, possibly even take to the local tournaments (Mates at my LGS wouldn't care, provided it's GW stuff and makes sense; just no AT-43 IG armies, know what I mean?).

So without further ado, here's the questions...

-Anyone know of, or have opinions concerning, using the Kroot (maybe even Vespid or similar outcast races) model line as counts-as for another army?

-what units were/could be counts-as what?

-Thoughts as to each army? (e.g. DE... no, Nids... maybe, Orks... oh, yeah!, etc)

-Rundown of common units within another army would be nice too (e.g. termagaunts=Kroot carnivores, etc)

I mean, I do have a wild imagination and could probably come up with a satisfactory solution by myself, but would like feedback from the community as to their ideas towards this concept. I would like keep the Kroot relatively legal; e.g. for the most part, the majority could be fielded with a Tau force as a normal unit of Kroot, or used with the Apoc datasheet (not interested in a dust-collecting army comprised of 95% of models that I could only use with house rules); so lets say that the majority of the models should remain normalish(?) Kroot. I can understand having to have an oddball here or there to count-as a certain sarge or independent character, but I don't want to model three, red-painted squads of Kroot with boltguns and power armour, riding inside a "Redeemer Land Rhinox". I would also like the army/build to reflect Kroot too; you can't really justify Kroot as a counts-as Grey Knights army.

Inspirational pictures might not be a bad idea either (I've seen the "Kroot that have taken a Tau cadre hostage" army, and I don't want to make this army project to count-as a Tau force, because that would be silly).

I appreciate any feedback concerning this project...
Throwing feces in the eye of insolence.

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Also,examples of my many armies;  pics of all sorts of huge commissions

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
Re: Can't get Kroot off my mind
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 01:58:20 AM »
hmm the dexes you threw up as example to use orks is ok...but feels off due to the low I of the units.

Nids on the other hand go good with I and also good in the T department.
You can also use the biomorphs to represent the adeptations and evolutionary paths.

In a Kroot merc list I wouldn't include any non Kroot species as that'd not fit in the evolutionary path background etc.

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Vashar

• <3!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 05:20:34 PM »
I was really looking forward to the Redeemer Land Rhinox.   :(
Men do not shape destiny, destiny produces the man for the hour.

Offline jawmonkey

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 07:33:37 PM »
I know, but a real land raider has exit points at the sides and front, not front and rear, and once kids found out what the multimelta was, they would start to cry.

I've been leaning towards nids as well, maybe a swarmy list... Toots!

Check out my terrain tutorial!, New chapter; plasticard watch tower added 11-6-11!

Offline popsical

• BANNED: Now I can't pretend to ragequit
  • Mass debating: a filthy group affair!
« Reply #4 on: October 4, 2011, 03:19:36 PM »
In reality the 2004 list is fine, no one will argue that its broken or beardy or particularly out of date.
The 40k online tournie allows it (will go with it in 2013 when my present project is done).
When buffed with FW its gorgeous to look at, and varied.
Anyone who refuses to fight it is a total chump, its got nice fluff and frailties.
Its also the only list that fits IMO.

GO FOR IT!!!  ;)
These are my thoughts and opinions.
I am no more right or wrong than you or any other.
I reserve the right to agree/disagree with anything i please, as do you.
Forums are an arena to exchange ideas, not brow beat and shout down others.
Miss-interpretation of posts is common.

Offline jawmonkey

« Reply #5 on: October 4, 2011, 03:34:19 PM »
Yeah, but I have a dragon model, and putting a balista and a hammerhead railgun on it so that it can count as a tyrannofex is pressing.

Another thought is a tervigon count-as carnifex with howda+balista, holding lots of Kroot (to justify the brood progenitor rule).

Of course I want to keep a large portion of the Kroot normal so that I can use them as standard Kroot in a Tau force or as Kroot Mercenaries.

Offline popsical

• BANNED: Now I can't pretend to ragequit
  • Mass debating: a filthy group affair!
« Reply #6 on: October 6, 2011, 02:56:10 AM »
That sounds pretty cool.
My take would be using it as an apocalypse Super heavy Knarloc, say with the gargantuan squiggoth rules.
Then keeping the kroot army list and FW stuff normal, and adding the dragon in for 3000 pt games.
What do you think of that?  :)
These are my thoughts and opinions.
I am no more right or wrong than you or any other.
I reserve the right to agree/disagree with anything i please, as do you.
Forums are an arena to exchange ideas, not brow beat and shout down others.
Miss-interpretation of posts is common.

Offline jawmonkey

« Reply #7 on: October 6, 2011, 11:01:50 AM »
The dragon would make a good counts-as Tyrannofex; rupture cannon represented by the railgun, a balista represents the spike salvo, and the acid breath easily represented by the dragon's mouth. The dragon isn't nearly big enough to be used to represent a squiggoth. If I build a model of such awesomeness I will undoubtedly use it as often as possible. I have no doubts that my my local gaming group and LGS would allow it despite the dragon not being a GW model (although I need to look into the fantasy dragons just in case, huh?

Not sure I'm going to get too much FW stuff as its real expensive, I know myself well, I'll never buy it.

If used the Kroot as a Tyranid army, I've found I won't really need to change or convert many models either. Kroot (termagants), Kroot hounds (hormagaunts), Krootox (hive guard), etc. Some of the conversions I've thought of are putting Kroots in stealth suits to count as Tyranid warriors, switching out Krootox guns for hvy flamers, burst cannons, etc to count as different units (e.g. hvy flamer counts-as pyrovore), and other conversions will simply involve a Kroot either riding a nid or on it's base like a handler (I definitely need a Kroot riding a venomthrope). One of the few restrictions I want to place on the army is that I don't want to include any tyranid models that are synapse creatures, because if they were really in a force like this all the nids would cease to listen to the Kroot due to the influence of the hive mind.