News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Genestealer cults?  (Read 19095 times)

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Re: Genestealer cults?
« Reply #20 on: April 1, 2010, 03:47:46 PM »
Because genestealer infiltration in hinging on breeding. Marines do not breed. Thus ends the infiltration.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Nomsheep, the Modhunter.

• Sanity is for the weak,
  • Armies: Dark eldar and sons of malice.
« Reply #21 on: April 2, 2010, 08:58:47 PM »
a couple of last thoughts before this topic ends up in thread hell.

If they infected the geneseed would that work?

would the points in the Genestealers cult dex reflect the points in the IG dex?

could the cult get their hands on sisters of battle/demon hunters/squat vehicles? if not, why not?

Could the cult include a select few tyrinad organisms, that they brought down in a spore mine and hid in the HQ?

could they infiltrate deamon worlds or chaos controlled worlds(minus thousand sons)?

If for whatever reason the pyshchic connection to the hive mind was broken what would happen to the cult?

Are orks infiltrateable? again if not why not?

Someday someone will say something about me witty or memorable enough to put here til then enjoy this;
Rule 66: the cake is a lie

Working tirelessly to revive BattleFleet Fury

WE need YOU

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #22 on: April 3, 2010, 08:50:10 AM »
If they infected the geneseed would that work?
Currently there is no way to do that, and if they did (in some fashion as yet to be seen) the seed would be discarded as defective. Basically, it won't work.

would the points in the Genestealers cult dex reflect the points in the IG dex?
As the stats are pretty much the same I think it could work out.

could the cult get their hands on sisters of battle/demon hunters/squat vehicles? if not, why not?
It is possible, as these rely on imperial guards and PDF (who you can infiltrate) for their backbone support, while the marines maintains their own, meaning they are a lot harder to get to.

Could the cult include a select few tyrinad organisms, that they brought down in a spore mine and hid in the HQ?
Not according to the fluff of the cult. They were the vanguard, and meant to be as inconspicuous as possible; grab some civilians with the purestrain genestealers, start up the cult, one purestrain turns or breeds up a Patriarch, you get hybrids, and build up a force of new-gen purestrains, and then you strike.

could they infiltrate deamon worlds or chaos controlled worlds(minus thousand sons)?
I doubt it. They would probably just spot the infection psychically and do away with it, or corrupt it. That used to happen, and there was a Genestealer Coven-list for it, with chaos-mutated hybrids, beastmen and patriarch with daemonsword. Fun times.

If for whatever reason the pyshchic connection to the hive mind was broken what would happen to the cult?
They go rogue. It happens in the fluff too, and then the Cult will actively fight the nids when they arrive, having claimed the world for their own, and either get overrun and eaten as anything else, or pushing them back to take on something else.

Are orks infiltrateable? again if not why not?
They used to be, when they bred sexually, there were even ork hybrid models. Now that they are spores I cannot for the life of me see how it could be even remotely possible.

In essence, the Cult can only work on Humans, Squats (and other abhumans) and Tau. Note that marines, daemonhunters and other non-breeding “humans” are not considered humans.

« Reply #23 on: April 3, 2010, 07:19:15 PM »

They go rogue. It happens in the fluff too, and then the Cult will actively fight the nids when they arrive, having claimed the world for their own, and either get overrun and eaten as anything else, or pushing them back to take on something else.

does this mean that there could in theory be entire worlds or systems given over to the stealer cults

In essence, the Cult can only work on Humans, Squats (and other abhumans) and Tau. Note that marines, daemonhunters and other non-breeding “humans” are not considered humans.

how would they infiltrate the tau, they have no pyschic ability so  the stealers have no control?
and i didn't know that about marines.:)
Someday someone will say something about me witty or memorable enough to put here til then enjoy this;

WE need YOU

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #24 on: April 3, 2010, 07:27:44 PM »
how would they infiltrate the tau, they have no pyschic ability so  the stealers have no control?

It can and did happen. Beginning in events found in For the Emperor and concluded in the events told in the Tau Inquisitor characters back story. A Kroot force was armed to the teeth with Tau weapons and sent in by a Water Caste family to purge the cult. The steeler hypnotism still worked a treat on the Tau individuals. 
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

« Reply #25 on: April 3, 2010, 07:30:19 PM »
are they black library books?

WE need YOU

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 3, 2010, 07:31:53 PM »
The first is and the second was from the Inquisitor 2004 annual.

Edit: here.
« Last Edit: April 3, 2010, 07:34:33 PM by Rummy Bear »
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

« Reply #27 on: April 3, 2010, 08:24:16 PM »
are there  any officail specail characters for the cults?

are those stats correct and officail?
« Last Edit: April 3, 2010, 08:29:32 PM by nomsheep »

WE need YOU

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 3, 2010, 09:46:22 PM »
Inquisitor is different from 40K. Different games so the stats don't exchange cleanly.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #29 on: April 4, 2010, 01:22:22 AM »

does this mean that there could in theory be entire worlds or systems given over to the stealer cults
Yes and no. While technically there could be entire worlds and systems taken over by a cult, there aren't, and this is simply because that is not what the Cult is made to do - they are no good at government, have not the inkling for administration and so on. They just convert everyone, arm to the teeth to "overthrow" and then... stop. They haven o no drive to build a culture or functioning society. They are there to assimilate a population, overthrow the control, and then wait for the Hive to turn up. They are not society-builders.

As Rummy pointed out - it does and has happened. Just because the Tau naturally does not have a great psychic potential does not mean that the introduction of hte Genestealer gene cannot trigger the proper effect. They are good, after all.

« Reply #30 on: April 4, 2010, 10:23:44 PM »

Yes and no. While technically there could be entire worlds and systems taken over by a cult, there aren't, and this is simply because that is not what the Cult is made to do - they are no good at government, have not the inkling for administration and so on. They just convert everyone, arm to the teeth to "overthrow" and then... stop. They haven o no drive to build a culture or functioning society. They are there to assimilate a population, overthrow the control, and then wait for the Hive to turn up. They are not society-builders.

what would happen to a world that the rouge stealer cults eliminated and the rouge cults themselves once they had finished destroying the resistence

As Rummy pointed out - it does and has happened. Just because the Tau naturally does not have a great psychic potential does not mean that the introduction of hte Genestealer gene cannot trigger the proper effect. They are good, after all.

would this include the tau's auxiliries, (kroot ,vespid)

WE need YOU

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #31 on: April 5, 2010, 01:39:49 AM »

what would happen to a world that the rouge stealer cults eliminated and the rouge cults themselves once they had finished destroying the resistence
I have no idea what you are saying. Try rephrasing, that's just garbled.

would this include the tau's auxiliries, (kroot ,vespid)
I guess they would be affected in the same way.

« Reply #32 on: April 5, 2010, 11:21:39 AM »
I was trying to ask what happens to the worlds that the cults have destroyed?
and what happens to the cult when it has destroyed the world?

hope that makes more sense :)

WE need YOU

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
    • 40kOnline
« Reply #33 on: April 5, 2010, 11:32:17 AM »
They probably starve to death and place some purestrains in hibernation to hopefully "bloom" later, if someone returns.
They are not, like I said, society-builders.

« Reply #34 on: April 5, 2010, 11:34:15 AM »
ok thanks.

WE need YOU

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
  • What were all those "do not's" again?
« Reply #35 on: April 5, 2010, 11:56:42 AM »
May I just point out BoLS made a fairly decent interpretation of the CJ Genestealer Cult list, which you can find following this link, and just scroll down till you find Genestealer Cult v3.0.

Offline Ghostofman

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2010, 12:15:17 PM »
Thought I'd go ahead and mention that you cna use other codecies as well with some success. Tau wouldn't really work, but with some imagination and creativeness and some conversions I'll bet Witch Hunters or a non-GK demon hunters list would work.

Here's a great example of a dude that made a GS cult army using the Ork Dex:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Gorgon%27s%20Genestealer%20Cult

Re: Model for a magus?
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2010, 06:12:29 PM »
Does anyone know a good model to use for a genestealer magus?

WE need YOU

Offline SwampyTurtle

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • "Death is no respite from War"
    • Behind the lines gaming blog
  • Armies: Tau (Jar'kai Sept);Tanith 1st;Phantine Skyborne IG
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2010, 06:56:04 PM »
i actually got a 2nd ed. magnus model  ::)

Record:                                    W/L/D
Jar'kia Sept:                                  5/6/3
Tanith 1st:                                    2/0/2

my blog:  Behind the Lines gaming

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2010, 07:01:24 PM »
fair enough.

WE need YOU