News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Pistols also New Tau  (Read 10499 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Pistols also New Tau
« on: May 1, 2017, 10:55:05 PM »
Back in the dawn of time I declared they didn't exist for Tau till one turned up as part of the ejected Air Caste pilot profile... ahem. Any hoo, going through editions past and present it appears that the Air Caste pilots carried one, ejected Crisis suit pilots had one tucked under, and now Sniper Drone controllers carry one as carbines are so not 7th Edition.

Taking advantage of the new pistol shoot your attacker in the face rule, think we'll see more of the line and column troops getting issued them by the most benevolent and forward thinking Earth Caste quartermasters?
« Last Edit: May 3, 2017, 03:41:54 PM by The GrimSqueaker »
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Pistols
« Reply #1 on: May 2, 2017, 09:46:45 AM »
No. The Earth Caste just doesn't love us that much. One gun is sufficient, since you aren't supposed to be in combat, anyway.

I do hope, though, it becomes an option for Breacher teams at the least (or that Pulse Blasters work like pistols in CC). That would be extremely fluffy and also very, very helpful.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 2, 2017, 01:14:39 PM »
Pulse Blasters would be the most obvious option as they are essentially shotguns in space.

Would be irritating though if no changes are made and it comes down to "nice rule, shame you can't do anything with it."
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: May 2, 2017, 09:24:01 PM »
Pulse Blasters would be the most obvious option as they are essentially shotguns in space.

Would be irritating though if no changes are made and it comes down to "nice rule, shame you can't do anything with it."

That *is* the story of the Tau in the assault phase, though. Well, this past edition excepted.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 2, 2017, 09:31:16 PM »
Well, perhaps the Shas'ui may access a pistol so they could at least dramatically shout "stand back people, I'll protect you" before being turned into mulch.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: May 3, 2017, 01:11:03 PM »
In general, I'm interested to see what happens with the Tau in 8th. I generally think every army is going to see the end of a lot of tentpole special rules. Like, what will happen if we lose jetpack movement? Egads!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
Re: Pistols also New Tau
« Reply #6 on: May 3, 2017, 03:44:45 PM »
(Topic modification, we don't need a new thread)

Jet Packs are going to be an interesting read. Same with how drones are going to be treated. Will drones count for the new Morale rules? If they don't will there be casualty removal shenanigans from the usual suspects? Supporting fire and overwatch with regards to Tau as well.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: May 3, 2017, 03:52:25 PM »
One thing I noted is that vehicles no longer have relentless and I was sad for the Tau.

Then I remembered that Burst Cannons, Fusion Blasters, Missile Pods, and Pulse Carbines are all Assault weapons, so, assuming those still exist, most Tau light vehicles will still be running and gunning. My Piranha are happy! And also probably a *little* more durable!

Sucks for SMS, though. And Raiguns, obvi.

But then, you don't know what special rule shenanigans will show up. What is going to happen to Skimmers? No idea at all--not even a rumor.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 3, 2017, 08:31:17 PM »
Be interesting to see what happens with Markerlights. They're a big part of the Tau identity so I highly doubt they'll be removed. D is out so that one doesn't work. The bonus to hit rolls can be easily transitioned, the cover removal aspect is gone, seeker missiles are an easy addition.

If Tau get their mercenaries in the main codex/war scroll there may even be a psychic phase.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: May 4, 2017, 09:04:57 AM »
Dude, Demiurg are *not* going to happen. Stop trying to make them a thing.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 4, 2017, 12:46:22 PM »
I have them in BFG. You just need to believe...
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: May 4, 2017, 03:55:01 PM »
I have them in BFG. You just need to believe...

Not gonna happen. All the money these days is in giant freaking robots that have guns bolted to their other guns on top of their missiles.

Psychic balloon aliens? Nope.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 4, 2017, 04:14:00 PM »
You're thinking of the Nicassar, who are also in BFG. The Demiurg are the NOT AT ALL SPACE DWARVES.

The Nicassar are stated as not even slightly liking the idea of a gravity well but I'd still like them to be a kind of palanquin or Dune navigator in a tank addition.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: May 5, 2017, 08:43:16 AM »
You're thinking of the Nicassar, who are also in BFG. The Demiurg are the NOT AT ALL SPACE DWARVES.

The Nicassar are stated as not even slightly liking the idea of a gravity well but I'd still like them to be a kind of palanquin or Dune navigator in a tank addition.

Oh, right. I get the two confused.

I agree, they would be totally cool. But no, I don't see them happening.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 5, 2017, 12:24:18 PM »
You're ruining my childhood.

Wondering if they'll separate the Empire and Enclaves right off the bat or will consider them both Tau when it comes to detachments.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #15 on: May 9, 2017, 10:20:46 PM »
Pursuant to my weapon stat speculations here, this is what I think/hope will happen with the Tau arsenal:

Pulse Rifle: As is, AP 0, Dmg 1
Pulse Carbine: As is, AP 0, Dmg 1, -1 Ld on enemy check (which might be how they rationalize pinning)
Pulse Blaster: 12", Assault 2, AP -2, Dmg 1, Counts as pistol

Burst Cannon: As is, AP -1, Dmg 1
Plasma Rifle: As is, AP -3, Dmg d3
Fusion Blaster: As is, AP -4, Dmg d6, Re-roll to-wound under half range
Missile Pod: As is, AP -2, Dmg d3

Rail Rifle: As is, AP -3, Dmg d3
Heavy Rail Rifle: As is, AP -4, Dmg d6
Rail Gun: As is, AP -4, Dmg 2D6 (oh, yes)

Not sure what to do with Ion Weapons. I expect the dual fire mode might be gone, but I'm not sure what it would be replaced with.

As for Markerlights, I'd need to see what Command Points do, but I'm guessing they might work like command points. Either that, or they'd still work exactly as-is (nothing really stopping them). Denying cover, though, might translate to giving weapons AP. Maybe.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #16 on: May 9, 2017, 10:57:00 PM »
Pulse Blaster: 12", Assault 2, AP -2, Dmg 1, Counts as pistol

Given Tau are meant to be meh in CC, that might be a little too good, but depends on how good everyone elses CC weapon are going to be.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2017, 11:07:23 PM by magenb »

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 09:17:24 AM »
Of course, they only get to *use* it in the shooting phase (while in combat). They aren't then magically good at CC. Their regular CC attacks will still suck (probably hitting on 5s, for instance). They'd probably still lose to any devoted CC unit.

Besides, this is the unit that is *explicitly intended* to fight things up-close. Why shouldn't they be modestly good at it?

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 12:47:52 PM »
Depending on their own unit rules, you may want to consider heading in a rapid fire direction when under half range.

Edit: I was thinking of asking that railguns be 3D6 as said weapons should be able to one-shot most vehicles then had a moment of sanity as that's pure filth and overpowered right from the get go. 2D6 is fair, a massive blow perhaps or a love tap along the sides.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 10:34:20 PM by The GrimSqueaker »
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 01:23:41 PM »
Welp, they're talking about the T'au now.

Okay, what sounds good:

- I'm glad the unloved units in the codex will get some love. Not that Sniper Drones look good or anything (yup, still amphetamine parrot), but I'm glad somebody at least tried. I guess you could take a bunch of them and *eventually* shoot that Chaos Lord down. Don't hold your breath, though.

- Nice to see the Tau will still be able to Fall Back and then shoot on jetpack units. That is key (though not as good as Jump-Shoot-Jump).

- Glad Supporting Fire is back.

What sounds so-so:

-Nice to hear that Missile Pods will be doing D3 wounds apiece. Sucks that it's only at AP -1. They will struggle to hurt vehicles now, which was kinda their whole point previously. I guess that depends on the Transport stats, but if Rhinos are T7, 3+ save (which seems fairly likely), Missile Pods will SUCK.

What sounds bad:

- So they're hitting markerlights with the nerf bat, eh? Re-rolling 1s? Blech. Looking forward to all the various ways my guys can gloriously miss every damned thing they aim at. The only bright side here is that, with Pathfinders being able to split fire, you could conceivably mark a lot of different units, since 1 mark is all it seems you need.

- If I'm reading between the lines right, everybody will be hitting on 4s with no clear way to improve this (barring "being a Stormsurge"). That kinda sucks, guys, and no lie. Twin-linked re-rolls, Markerlight boosts, Coordinating Firepower, and all that stuff made the Tau fearsome in the past few editions. Removing it sets them back by a LOT. Seems the army is getting hit by the nerf bat. Not saying they didn't deserve it, but it still sucks.