News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 4 games - 1000pts Orks vs DW, Crons, SM, Orks  (Read 2353 times)

Offline Deathpepper

• Big Mek
  • If all else fails, roll more dice!
4 games - 1000pts Orks vs DW, Crons, SM, Orks
« on: February 22, 2009, 12:34:56 PM »
I played a few games with my new ork models this weekend, some where proxies to try things out.  Since my camera died, very few pics this time.  :(

I used this list:
Big Mek - KFF
3 Meganobs in trukk with reinforced ram
2x 12 boys - PK nob, bosspole, in trukk with reinforced ram and wreckin ball
19 ard boys - PK nob, bosspole, in battlewagon with def rolla, 2xBig Shootas, RPJ, riggers
19 grots + herder

Idea was that wreckin balls would take out fast vehicles after the boys were dropped off to charge infantry.  Meganobs are anti-tank and target any larger vehicles.  Ard boys are used to fill points because I'm short on completed models. 

Game 1:
Literally my first game playing orcs.  My opponent was Joe, a veteran deathwing player.  He had 4 units of terminators (5 man each, no heavy weapons, one TH/SS and LC guy mixed in each) and a champion guy with TH/SS.

Mission was Annihilation, dawn of war.  I chose to go second, and hold everything in reserve. 

Joe deep struck two of his squads in the board center, no deviations.  The other two squads started hiking towards my board side. 

I maneuvered my vehicles around his squads, trying to get one or two seperated from the rest. 

Joe kept the termies close together, and finally charged my grots (slaughtering them), and took out two trukks with bolter fire, and stunned the MANZ trukk.

One trukk squad was pinned, the other boys had a difficult time disembarking in good charge positions.  I managed to charge just the hero with my MANZ, they annihilated one another.  The ardboyz charge a unit of 5 terminators, wiping them out. 

Then my ard boys and the pinned trukk squad are charged by terminators and destroyed. 

By turn 4 I had only vehicles left and said good game.  There were still about 12 termies left in 3 squads. 

Game 2:
Played vs Jason, a brand new player in his first 40k game ever!  He had a fully painted necron army, constructed by a friend, and didn't know the game or army rules too well.  I spent a lot of the game explaining rules and didn't worry too much about winning.

Lord with res orb and phase sword
3x 10 warriors
3x 3 scarab swarms - disruption fields
3 destroyers

Mission was annihilation and dawn of war...again.  I kept everything in reserve again, he got first turn and deployed his units spread out against his board edge with scarabs in front of each warrior unit, the destroyers and lord were a bit to the right side.

I moved my vehicles in a clump up the left side of the board.  Turn two jason took a few pot shots at trukks, but only managed to stun one (MANZ trukk).  My turn two, I waaaghed, and got in charges on the far left warrior group, and all the scarabs.  The scarabs and warriors were crushed and run down.  The orb was too far away to help, so the warriors didn't "we'll be back".  Jason moved his destroyers just within range of my gretchin, who charged them and kept them locked up for the next two turns while ork mobs ran down the other warrior units.  He was down to the lord and one unit of warriors backed up to his table edge vs my mostly undamaged army when we called it.

Game 3:
Played vs Alex, a white scars player I've seen around before.  He had a Khan list:
Khan on bike
5 bikers with 2xflamers and fist
5 bikers with 2xmeltas and fist
5 assault marines with fist
Landspeeder with multimelta
tac squad in rhino

Mission was capture and control with standard deployment, I had first turn.  He put his objective in the middle of his table side practically on top of a building.  I put mine near the right corner of my deployment zone.  He outflanked his whole army, I deployed grots on my objective and spent two turns moving my vehicles next to his.  His bikers and khan arrived on the left side and hugged the board edge (afraid of my long charge range).  I maneuvered my vehicles to the middle of the board (everything moving 12").  Next turn, he sneaks his bikes along my board edge towards the grots, shooting trukks unsuccesfully.  The assault marines appeared by the grots and annihilated them.  I then called the WAAAGH!!! and pulled off a trukk boy assault on a biker unit with khan, killing all 5 bikes and wounding khan.  He hit and runs away, my MANZ charge and destroy the assault squad, losing a nob. 

He maneuvers his bikes back towards his objective, the rhino comes in and zooms towards it as well.  The speeder deepstrikes behind my battlewagon, missing with the multimelta.  I respond by missing the speeder with lots of big shootas and wreckin balls.  My MANZ get back in their trukk, and I start running the deployed trukk mob towards my objective.  My other trukk mob move to his objective, disembarking on top of it in the building.  Alex's tac squad and bikers bolter/flamer the trukk mob to death, and his speeder melts my battlewagon (pinning the ard boys). 

I respond by finally gunning down the speeder, running a trukk mob fully onto my objective, and moving the MANZ, their trukk, and another trukk next to Alex's objective.  He kills the MANZ and their trukk, but is unable to finish off the other one.  This was the bottom of turn 7, I win with one objective controlled and his contested.

Game 4:
I can't remember the player's name, but he had a small ork force as well.  Because he had only 500pts worth of models, I quickly made a 500pt list.

Him:
Wierdboy
20ish shoota boyz, 2xbig shootas
10 gretchin + runtherd
2x trukk boy slugga mobs, nobs with huge choppas

Me:
Warboss - PK, squig, armor
24 slugga boys, PK nob with boss pole
20 slugga boys, PK nob with boss pole
10 gretchin + runtherd

Mission was annihilation, normal setup.  I put the sluggas behind the gretchin as far up as possible.  He deployed trukks to my left, wierdboy + shootas behind his gretchin on my right.  I had first turn and advanced.  He got in a round of shooting on my gretchin, wiping them out.  I moved, WAAAGHED!!!, and managed to only get a charge on his gretchin (which all died to sluggas).  He then shot and charged with shootas, killing most of my big slugga mob.  The trukk boys jump out next to the other slugga mob, shot and charged them, wiping them out with no casualties.  Ouch.  I said good game, as it was clearly over.  The wierdboy got 'ead banger once, and the free waaagh when it wasn't useful.  Interesting game, I think if I'd had walking shoota boys this would have been very different.  The sluggas were just too slow, and took heavy casualties before the could get into cc.  Losing the charge to the shootas just made it worse.  Powerclaws were overkill vs boys, his huge choppas were much better (striking at initiative).

Thoughts:
-The kustom force field was a great model, he didn't do much in cc, but the cover saved several vehicles.  I'll probably always run this guy.
-Trukk boys were excellent, definitely won games for me.
-The ard boys were meh.  20 boys is way harder to get into cc reliably than 12.  The armor save was really nice, but they just didn't seem to pull their weight.  I may swap these to shoota boys or something.
-Meganobs were ok, but not great.  They NEED an invulnerable save so bad.  They did get targetted first every game, which I find interesting.  I did notice that 3 weren't quite enough power sometimes, 4 might be better.  Also, none of my opponents had any heavy vehicles, so they didn't have an optimal target in these games.  I'll give them another chance, since the models are awesome.
-The Battlewagon didn't do much other than be shot at.  The deffrolla killed maybe 2 models in 3 games, very dissapointing.  I'm going with the interpretation that it can't hurt vehicles, so I probably will swap the rolla for a ram next time.  The larger issue is what to carry in it.
-The trukks did very little other than drop off boys.  I'm dissapointed in the wreckin balls, they missed constantly!  Reinforced ram was gold, though.  Allowed some charges through cover that opponent's weren't expecting.
-Grots were complete crap in annihilation games.  They did well holding up those destroyers, but I see that as a mistake by an opponent who will learn to keep them out of charge range next time.  Hopefully they'll be better in objective missions, so I'll keep using them.

In future, I'm considering using boarding planks instead of wreckin balls.  I figure 4 S9 attacks with the PK nob in a trukk is better than one S9 attack by the ball.  And vs enemy transports, I really don't want to disembark just to clobber a light vehicle.  I'm also thinking about grabba claws on the battlewagon.  If I could hold a vehicle immoble, PK nobs or MANZ could destroy it. 

As a whole, the orks were a lot of fun to play.  I'm really glad I didn't just trade away my black reach models.  Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 07:23:24 PM by Deathpepper »

Batreps        Ork Models      Painting Blog

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: 4 games - 1000pts Orks vs DW, Crons, SM, Orks
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 01:26:19 PM »
Good battle reports, interesting reads as well. The games appeared to be very brutal with one side ending up dominating the other, which is interesting. Is that what you found?

I'll be sure to keep an eye out for any more Battle reports you post. The ork vs ork game seemed very interesting. Never really seen that army face off against it's self before.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Deathpepper

• Big Mek
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 06:17:55 PM »
The 3rd game was actually close up until turn 6 or so.  In games 1 and 4 I didn't maneuver my forces very well, not getting the charge.  Being able to measure distances by eye seems a very important for orks. 

Offline Sheepz

• Marshal: The beatings will continue until discipline improves!
  • Ancient
  • Getting away with murder.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 08:34:56 AM »

Joe deep struck two of his squads in the board center, no deviations.  The other two squads started hiking towards my board side.

Dark Angel Codex states that he may choose to deploy any number of his squads in reserve, but only HALF of the units he does place in reserve may enter play via Deathwing Assault (1st turn Deepstrike). The rest enter play via normal Deepstrike (rolling turn 2 onwards). I think you should point that out to him, since what he did was not legal, although judging by the way he split his army equally in half, it looks like he simply misunderstood the rule. In your case, looks like 1 Squad should have Deep-struck turn one, 2 should have walked, and the last one should have been rolling to enter play as normal.

Also, I'm surprised (and not surprised) at his lack of weaponry. Since Belial is 130 and unupgraded Deathwing are 215, he had 990 points. Enough for x2 Heavy Flamers.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 08:56:16 AM »
Nice games and good of you to share with us... aside from the minor errors here and there, etc... the Games sounded fun. The only thing that I would suggest is a few pics next time...

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Scyrex Deledras

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 08:59:28 PM »
Well done, Deathpepper. Great to see you doing batreps again.

Offline Deathpepper

• Big Mek
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 09:30:04 PM »
The only thing that I would suggest is a few pics next time...
Very well.  I retrieved the photos I took in game one before my camera ran out of war.

Sheepz: I think you're right about his deployment.  It seems like people at the store don't understand dawn of war yet.  Several of them were surprised when I kept all my forces in reserve, or didn't know what was ok to deploy.

Scyrex: Thanks, dude. :)  I like writing them, helps to strategize for next time and figure out what worked.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 09:31:43 PM by Deathpepper »

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 11:53:27 AM »
Those pics do help... thanks a lot.

Batrep looks even better with them.

Nice Mob BTW.