News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: GC campaign 1250 Saim-Hann vs mech Chaos  (Read 1581 times)

Offline GoofyCommy

• Infinity Circuit
GC campaign 1250 Saim-Hann vs mech Chaos
« on: February 20, 2009, 12:43:42 PM »
Battle 3
This battle was spearhead deployment with 5 objectives.  Troops had the without number special rule, though dedicated transports would not be allowed to come back.  Thinking of my fast movement of my Jetbikes, I placed my 2 objectives under 24” of my board edge.  This would allow me a last turn jump on objectives if my jetbike squads were killed or running away the previous turn.

Saim-Hann force
130 Farseer Nayr; jetbike, runes of warding and fortune
310 Warlocks – 6; Jetbikes, 1 embolden, 1 enhance and 2 destructors
202 Jetbikes – 7; 2 cannons, warlock with embolden
151 Jetbikes – 5; 1 cannon, warlock with embolden & spear
127 Guardian Storm squad – 11; 2 fusion guns, warlock with destructor
110 Wave Serpent; t.l. shuriken cannons, spirit stone
  60 Vyper; scatter laser
160 Fire Prism; prism cannon, holo-field and spirit stones
1,250  3 scoring units

Chaos force
110  Lord with meltabomb and power weapon
185  Plague marines – 5; 2 meltaguns, rhino with havoc launcher
125  Vindicator
125  Vindicator
150  Defiler with 2 ccw and battle cannon
1,250 and 4 annoyingly hard to kill scoring units.

Setup
My opponent won the roll of and decided to go first so I would not kill his tanks.  He deployed near the middle with his rhinos in front.  I decided to deploy in cover of the hill to my right, making sure that his Defiler did not have line of sight to ANY unit.  I could only fit 14 jetbikes packed in there, so I left everything else in reserves.  I really wanted to put my fire prism back there with my HQ squad, but this left the possibility of a battle cannon shot drifting onto my HQ on turn 1.  I put the wave serpent in cover of the middle hill.  I wanted to star with it on the board to hinder my opponent’s movement on turn 1.

Saim-Hann 0 – Chaos 2

Turn 1
Chaos
Everything moves up, the purple rhino pops smoke and the Defiler shoots at the wave serpent, but it scattered.

Saim-Hann
Farseer fortunes the warlocks and they move 12” forward and 6” in the assault phase, making sure to stay away from the rhinos.  The 7 man jetbike squad moves from behind the hill, tries to shoot at the purple rhino, but it was too far away, then they move back behind the hill.  The Wave serpent moves forward at cruising speed and fired at the black rhino, destroying the havoc launcher.
Saim-Hann 0 – Chaos 1

Turn 2
Chaos
Black rhino moves at cruising speed, all other rhinos move at combat speed and fire their havoc launchers at Farseer Nayr’s squad.  The Defiler joins in the firing and in the end two warlocks were killed.  The Plague Marines in the purple rhino shot meltas at the wave serpent and destroyed the t.l. shuriken cannon.

Saim-Hann
Farseer Nayr fortunes his warlocks and leads them toward the Chaos force.  The 5 man jetbike squad comes in and moves closer to the black rhino in the middle.  The Fire Prism entered the battle field and fired a clear shot at the side of the night Vindicator, but did not hurt it’s armor I rolled a 1 for AP!  The 5 man squad is unable to damage the black rhino, so they move back in the assault phase. I rolled 1 hit on the shuriken cannon and missed with the spear!  The 7 man squad moves and shoots at the purple rhino, hitting twice, but does no damage.  The wave serpent moved at cruising speed to hamper the enemy force.  In the assault, Farseer Nay’s squad charged the purple rhino and did no damage.  This kind of annoyed me because my opponent said it moved 12” last turn and I rolled no 6’s on 15 dice.  I should have looked at the picture or remembered that the guys inside shot.  The chaos vehicles appeared to have been blessed greatly by Nurgle.

Saim-Hann 0 – Chaos 0

Turn 3
Chaos
The red rhino moved up a bit and killed a jetbike from the 5 man squad with its havoc launcher.  The night Vindicator fired at the Fire Prism, immobilizing it.  The vehicles on the right side move around a little bit to clear a firing lane.  The PM in the black rhino fired their melta guns and the PM in the purple rhino fired at the warlocks, killing one.  The day vindicator again fired at the wave serpent, destroying the shuriken catapults.  I forgot that embarked troops could fire from within rhinos.  Man, I hate those rhinos.  Definitely worth more than 35 points.

Saim-Hann
The Vyper came in and exploded the red rhino. Finally, I destroyed one!  We both forgot to have the PM take str 4 wounds though.  Both Jetbikes try to damage the rhinos again, but accomplish nothing.  I was averaging 1 hit on every 3 cannon shots, and the spear missed again.  The Fire Prism shot at the blue rhino, but only managed to destroy the havoc launcher.   I wanted to fire at the PMs from the exploded rhino, but didn’t because they were in cover.  My gut was right and I should have fired at them instead/  The wave serpent moved around again to block rhinos.  Farseer Nayr’s squad assaulted both rhinos, stunning the black rhino and shaking the purple rhino. Both of us forgot that my str 9 was against his rear armor of 10.  I used armor 11 and only got 1 damage roll for each vehicle.

Saim-Hann 1 – Chaos 1

Turn 4
Chaos
Night vindicator moves up and destroys the prism cannon.  The blue rhino drops off is passengers and moves with the walking PMs moved toward the middle objective.  The Plague Marines from both right rhinos disembark and rapid fire Farseer Nayr’s squad, killing no warlocks.  It took a blast from the defiler to kill one warlock.  Even the vindicator tried to kill the warlocks, but was unable to penetrate their rune armor.  I was hoping the vindicator would scatter back and kill at least one PM squad for me.   The warlocks immobilized the black rhino in the continued assault.

Saim-Hann
The wave serpent drove flat out to get out of the way of the Jetbikes and move into scoring position next turn.  The Vyper shot at the side armor of the vindicator, but only hit once and did not damage it.  The 5 man jetbike squad shot at the middle plague marines and killed one.  The seven man squad shot at the PM that came out of the purple rhino and killed one.  Farseer Nayr moved behind the PMs from the purple rhino and ordered their death.  The two warlocks assaulted the Plague Marines, while Faseer Nayr attacked the rhino and destroyed it.  The warlocks and the Plague marines were unable to harm each other, so  Farseer Nayr moved into the wreckage to help his warlocks attack the plague marines.

Saim-Hann 1 – Chaos 1

Turn 5
Chaos
The night vindicator and defiler both fired at the Vyper, destroying the scatter laser and then the vehicle itself.  The day vindicator killed two Jetbikes from the 7 man squad as the middle plague marines killed one in the 5 man jetbike squad, sending them running from the battlefield.  The Plague marines captured the middle objective.  The Chaos Lord and his squad also captured an objective.  In assault, the plague marines and warlocks failed to kill anyone.

Saim-Hann
Another 5 man jetbike squad entered the battlefield and killed 1 plage marine on the objective.  The wave serpent moved at cruising speed to contest the Lord’s objective as the 7 man jetbike squad again fired into the Lord’s squad, but failed to kill any plague marines.  In combat, a warlock and Farseer Nayr each killed a plague marine.  The five man jetbike squad then moved up and captured one objective while contesting the middle objective.

Saim-Hann 1 – Chaos 1

Turn 6
Chaos
The blue rhino drove into the 5 man jetbike squad, but they simply moved out of the way.  The night vindicator and middle plague marines again whittled away at the 5 man jetbike squad, but they stayed in the fight.  The day vindicator and the defiler each killed a jetbike from the 7 man squad (now down to three), but they too were determined to stay.  The Chaos Lord and his squad assaulted the wave serpent and immobilized it.

Saim-Hann
The guardian storm squad exited their wave serpent and shot at the plague marines, killing one.  The remaining 3 jetbikes killed one more plague marine.  The storm guardians assaulted the plague marines to contest the objective.  One guardian was killed and the Chaos Lord destroyed the wave serpent, but the guardians stayed in the fight.  I didn’t want to disembark from the wave serpent, but figured I had to in order to contest the objective.  I knew the Lord would finish off the wave serpent with his auto hitting meltabomb.

Saim-Hann 1 – Chaos 1

Turn 7
Chaos
The middle plague marines finished of the small jetbike squad as the blue rhino drove over to contest the long held Eldar objective.  I knew I should have shot at it last turn!  The defiler killed one more jetbike and both combats are draws.  I was surprised that the guardians fought to a draw with the Lord now in combat.

Saim-Hann
Another jetbike squad entered the battlefield and managed to damage the blue rhino, but only by immobilizing it.  The remaining two Jetbikes from the seven man squad moved up to contest the objective near the cliff and failed to damage the blue rhino.  In the assault phase the 5 man jetbike squad moved up to contest two objectives.  Seeing that his forces were dwindling, Farseer Nayr called a retreat.  He would be back to fight this Chaos force with more anti-tank weapons later.

Saim-Hann 0 – Chaos 1

Wrap-up
My opponent is tied for top spot in the campaign and I have seen him roll over most of his opponents.  It was a hard fought battle for me, but I stood toe to toe with him and had a draw if the game ended on turn 5 or 6.  I believed I had enough anti-tank in my army to take him down, but I forgot how bad I am at destroying rhinos with shuriken cannons.  I wish they were str 7.  It was a very challenging game for me with MANY crappy dice rolls.  We also seemed to forget rules that benefited him…  I guess Nurgle has blessed this table because I was the first person to destroy any of his rhinos on it.  That black one was very annoying and has not been destroyed yet this campaign.  At the end of the game he was actually complaining about not being able to kill my HQ with their 3+/4++ re-rollable save.  I was having a hard time killing his 3+/4+ FnP guys, but he didn’t complain about that..  In total I killed 5 plague marines in three different squads.  I should have been more aggressive with my Jetbikes, as I could bring them back in, while he would have a harder time getting his PMs walking back in to score.  I’ll do better next time I face him at a higher point limit…
« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 12:09:49 PM by GoofyCommy »

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: GC campaign 1250 Saim-Hann vs mech Chaos
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 01:22:01 PM »
He had a tough list, you did rather well, considering that fact and what looked like pretty amphetamine parrotty rolls. Without the loose of the Rhinos, seems like was was able to just streamroll right over you. Unfortunate. Good battle report though.

I find with vehicles, I either knock it out in the first turn or it is damaged but never destroyed. Very tough to face a list with so many, Rhinos are undetectably tough. I have fired vollys of psycannons at them before to no effect. I really want them to go down to S6 fire, I wish they would. I cannot say, I am too familiar with eldar so I am not sure by composition-wise how his list matched with yours. The fact he took 5 man units is very curious. Also, very ballsy IMO.

At least, you'll have a better idea what does and does not work after this game. Good luck to you in your next one. How you did reminds me of my last game with my chaos. Never give up though, one can never really tell how objective games will go until the very end I find. Always shifty.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Dartron

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 02:53:13 PM »
That's a really tough list to play against at 1250 pts.  Some bad luck on your part too.
IMO the 5-man units of PMs aren't that ballsy.  Their resilience to weapons of STR 6 and less is better than a space marine terminator and they cost far less. He's maximized his scoring units for an objective based mission like the last one and has really only offered you barely easier KP's in a KP mission.
Very tough. 

Offline GoofyCommy

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 02:58:30 PM »
Yeah, I had a lot of bad rolls that game.  I should have actually put my Fire Prism in on my right side and stayed away from the vindicators.  For my last game @ 1250 I took out the Vyper and used two naked Fire Prisms.  I like having 2 better than 1.

Offline Lullysing, Appreciator of the glory of chaos.

• Meet Rager, Close combat robo-monster of doom.
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 03:07:53 PM »
It's lists like these that totally make me foresee the nerfstick hitting the plague marines for the next edition of the chaos marine rules ( prob in the 2-3 years).  Oh well.

As for the report, this is the very first time i've seen a defiler still standing at the end of a battle. for some reason defilers really piss people off and tend to get blown up rather quickly.  12AV front does not help, of course.
High powered weapons are so sensorily overwhelming that they are similar to psychoactive drugs. Like LSD, which can convince people they can fly--weapons can make people overconfident. Skewing their tactical judgement.--Ng security
---
Lullysing : yo dude, you there?
[Screwhead] says: yo, just woke up
Lullysing : A car hit my bike, while i was on it.  I don't even have a scratch. Think i should grab a lotto ticket?
[Screwhead] says: Damn! FNP ftw!

Offline Sanctjud

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 03:53:43 PM »
That was a cool fight.
As I play both armies, it's interesting to see them square off against each other.

I like that you were restrained and didn't need to approach quickly.  But I think the opponent's list turn the tables on you.  He had a higher quantity of long range guns and so he could advance slowly towards you shooting all the while slowly whittling down jet bikes, and coming in piece meal was both good and bad... and it is IMO, that the single prism just isn't as good as 2. 

As for the defiler... I found it funny they were still around.. including the vindis..wow... all the hvy hitters were unscathed.

I wonder how the opponents' list would do if it were kill points... lots of rhinos to lose, I'll be frank, I don't like the min/max look to it.

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline GoofyCommy

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 04:11:44 PM »
I wonder how the opponents' list would do if it were kill points... lots of rhinos to lose, I'll be frank, I don't like the min/max look to it.

2 of his 3 losses are in KP missions.  1 to Ork and 1 to ultramarines.  He likes to switch out the plague marines for regular marines every other week.  Last week he had 5 rhinos with regular marines in them for his troops.  Not sure how many in each squad and what weapons though.

Offline IGBunker (-Hela - Finnail-)

• Ork Boy | Infinity Circuit
  • Fear not the death Brothers.forshe is old and slow
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 11:00:31 PM »
well, i must say... your opponet seemed like a ass. After a stressful game of FoW tonight my vision on the subject may be blurred tho.

Heck, i played in a HoH last week end and in my 3rd game i got tabled just cause i reminded the fella to take the int... he rolled a 6 and mech chaos playing kill pts VS a shooty guard in dawn of war.... not cool! lol

well played tho, some minor mistakes but your dice left you. cant do much about them (take the hammer to 1 or 2... DICE FOR THE DICE GOD!!) Hehe :P
Guant "Men on tanith do you wish to live forever!?!"

Formaly and now know as Hela- Finnail

W/L/D since Oct 2010
Saim hann eldar- 4-0-1
Trench guard- (On hold)
Guard armoured company- 1-0-0

Offline Droofus

• Ork Boy
  • It is YOU who will suffer greatly!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 09:49:57 AM »

2 of his 3 losses are in KP missions.  1 to Ork and 1 to ultramarines.  He likes to switch out the plague marines for regular marines every other week.  Last week he had 5 rhinos with regular marines in them for his troops.  Not sure how many in each squad and what weapons though.

That seems odd given that it's an ongoing campaign...

Good report though, sorry to hear about your loss.   Plague marines are, as you say, incredibly hard to shift.   Ever thought about dropping the vyper and the storm guardians and putting in some aspect warriors in the serpent instead?   Fire dragons spring to mind...
\

Offline GoofyCommy

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 10:31:08 AM »
Ever thought about dropping the vyper and the storm guardians and putting in some aspect warriors in the serpent instead?   Fire dragons spring to mind...

Check the link in my signature and look through my campaign thread.  We have a restricted FOC based on our number of territories, I guess I forgot to mention that here.  I only had 1 territory at the time, so I could only field 1 heavy and 1 fast attack.  I now have 4 territories, which allows me to field fire dragons and 2 fire prisms in my 1750 list.

Offline Max Power

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 10:56:59 AM »
Great battle. I'm amazed you did as well as you did against a list like that, it's a tough nut to crack. I'm looking forward to your 1750 battle. :)
Kids, there's three ways to do things.  The right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way!
Isn't that the wrong way?
Yes, but faster!