News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500pts New to Tyranids  (Read 447 times)

Offline Grunty

1500pts New to Tyranids
« on: August 24, 2008, 09:59:26 AM »
Hi,

I play Eldar and I'm quite happy with that army and thought I would have a change from painting aspect warriors for a while. 
I know nothing about Tyranids so this army is made up of models that I like and what seemed like good options from the codex.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

HQ
Broodlord - Extended Carapace, Feeder Tendrils, Flesh Hooks, Toxin Sacs = 96
8x Genestealer Rentinue - Flesh Hooks, Scything Talons = 168
Outflank and hopefully start mauling things from turn 1

Elites
4x Tyranid Warriors - Extended Carapace, Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs, Scything Talons, 3x Deathspitters, 1x Barbed Strangler - 154
4x Tyranid Warriors - Extended Carapace, Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs, Scything Talons, 3x Deathspitters, 1x Venom Cannon - 149
Advance behind Gaunts providing Synapse and receiving a cover save while they shoot nasty things

Lictor - 80
In because I love the model

Troops
16x Spinegaunts = 80
16x Spinegaunts = 80
12x Hormagaunts =120
12x Hormagaunts = 120
Cheap Gaunty goodness, I didn't see the point of giving them guns because they all seemed shortranged and unlikely to hit the broadside of a barn anyway.

Heavy Support
Carnifex - Adrenal Glands (Both), Bonded Exoskeleton, Flesh Hooks, Reinforced Chitin, Toxic Miasma, Tusked, Scything Talons x2 = 154
Carnifex - Adrenal Glands (Both), Bonded Exoskeleton, Flesh Hooks, Reinforced Chtin, Toxic Miasma, Tusked, Scything Talons x2 = 154
Heavy CC walk behind Gaunts
Carnifex - Enhanced Senses, Flesh Hooks, Reinforced Chitin, Toxin Sacs, Toxic Miasma, Barbed Strangler, Venom Cannon = 144
Shoot Tanks

I didn't include a Hive Tyrant, Gargoyles or Biovores because I think the models are really fugly.

Please C&C!

Thanks!

Offline Lucky_Jackal

• I feel akword
  • "What can I say? It's not my cup of tea."
Re: 1500pts New to Tyranids
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 10:32:38 AM »
I like your list. But you got 4 large gaunt broods and only two synapses zones. If thows warrioirs die your screwed.

=(

instead of homagaunts use the more independent Genestealers. They don't need synapses, so the warrioirs just have to worry about there own spin gaunt broods. (Also there better at killing then homagaunts in general, witch is a bonoues.)

Do this and it should all be good.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 10:35:02 AM by Lucky_Jackal »

Offline Hivemind801

• It has begun to feed.
Re: 1500pts New to Tyranids
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 08:13:15 PM »
I agree with you in the fact that the tyrant is ugly, I'm selling it and I am going to buy the forgeworld one. But in my opinion the Hive Tyrant is very good, heres why:
       It has a higher BS than most models in the Tyranid army good for taking out skimmers and light tanks. (with VC)
       Its a tough synapse creature durable and reliable.
       It is faster than the carnifex so it can beat marines and tie with thier pesky masters, and it is quick enough to destroy a small squad of terminators.

I mainly battle space marines and it hardly fails me, here it is:
   Tyrant
   Enhanced Senses
   Extended Carapace
   Toxin Sacs
   Venom Cannon
   Scything Talons
   Catalyst or Psychic Scream(depending on your armylist)
Total: 180pts for a really tough synapse creature.
 Also the thing that space marine players hate the most is when the VC instantkills their fancypants masters :D.

I'd give one of your ccfexes Crushing claws.

I have had personal experience with the shooty fex you picked and it mightve been bad luck but it just didnt cut it.

I also found out the hard way that spinegaunts arent nearly as effective as gaunts with fleshborers.
sorry gotta go, hope this helps. ;)

Posting individual point costs of items, upgrades and wargear violates GW copyright and breaks forum rules. Your post has been edited to reflect this. Have a nice day.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 11:57:34 AM by Lonewolf »
Consume.