News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: June Unit of the Month: Killa Kanz!!!  (Read 5310 times)

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
June Unit of the Month: Killa Kanz!!!
« on: June 1, 2012, 09:55:35 AM »
This month we will focus on Killa Kanz.  We want to know what you know about these walking mega grotz!  What is your favorite weapons layout?  Do you run them in a dread mob?  In a single trio?  In a codex: orks dread bash?

Post your pics, your favorite memory with kanz, and your best tactics!

Same as last month, those who post pictures most likely will be awarded favoritism teef, and any really good tips or tricks might get some teef thrown at them as well.

So, lets see what you got.

« Last Edit: June 1, 2012, 09:56:47 AM by adamscurr »

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline Boss Ard'Ragger

• Ork Yoof
  • Da Boyz Rock!!!
  • Armies: The Boyz, IG, Eldar,DE, Tau, GK, some SM
Re: June Unit of the Month: Killa Kanz!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 1, 2012, 10:14:38 AM »
I have only been on the recieving end of kans, in a word OUCH!  Looking favorably on the fact that I am a loyal servant of GORK and MORK, payback will be a .... sweet.  Looking fowrad to seeing how the Vets outfir their kans and how they employ them  BASH'em Boyz !
You Boyz wanna live forever?!  Waaaaagh!

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: Space wolves, Eldar, Orks
« Reply #2 on: June 1, 2012, 12:16:47 PM »
I have grotzooka kanz and love them! I am currently run a kan wall, hopefully to be turned into a dread mob by this time next year. (forward planning,  in an ork!) I will post pics when i can, and will add those painted for the Junkyard event near the end of the month.
Be nice to nerds, you'll probably be working for them.

What if by 'fly you fools'  Gandalf was actually telling the fellowship to call the eagles and fly to Mordor?

"Thunder rolled... It rolled a six"

+++Melon melon melon+++
+++out of cheese error redo from start+++
+++Divide by cucumber error. Please reinstall universe and reboot+++

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #3 on: June 1, 2012, 02:12:20 PM »
I have 2 units of kans painted, one with grotzookas and one with rokkits.

Apparently I only took a photo of one of them, though. D'oh.

They're a great counterpart to my Deff Dreads in the Dread Mob army list. Since all the Dreads are armed exclusively with CC weapons, the Kans form most of my shooting. The Grotzookas are just lethal, and the rokkits are good for keeping vehicles at bay too.
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline WisdomLS

• Ork Yoof
  • BLOOD FOR THE ..... emperor?
  • Armies: SM (BA, BT, DA), Orks, Daemons, CSM, GK, IG
« Reply #4 on: June 1, 2012, 05:27:30 PM »
I love mine with grotzookas, the opposition is always surprise by the sheer amount of damage they can put out, combine with a DCCW and there's nothing they can't deal with :o

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 1, 2012, 10:08:30 PM »
Yeah Kans, the little brother of the dreaded Deff Dread.

(these puppies are the 11 scratch Konversions of last years SBO projekt)

Kans are more than just another walker, they are one of the cheapest (if not the cheapest) walkers in the 40k universe, and are great backup in a footslogger force.  An old standby tactic that still remains relatively viable is the Kan Wall as a screen for mobs of boys with a KFF Mek.  While this tactic isn't as strong as it once was (due to last year's FAQ change to the KFF), its still a relatively good choice.

As for weapons, the Grotzooka is often heralded as the pinnacle.  a couple blast templates each and a few points cheaper than Rokkits, they also represent a great opportunity for Konversion.

But I would rather talk about their Anti-Tank potential.  As Orks, anti-Tank isn't one of our strongest suits, but the Kans can provide both ranged and CC anti tank.  Their ranged potential for this is key with Rokkits or Kustom Mega Blastas.  KMB's themselves are great Konversion opportunities in themselves as well as hark back to the days of 2nd Edition when Ork Plasma weapons were in abundance.  They are often not chosen due to having the same range and strength as a Rokkit Launcha, but as a casual reminder the AP bonus of KMBs greatly helps with the removal of Terminators/Terminator equivalents, which is worth the extra points (presupposing of course that you aren't lifting those points from Boyz, the heart of every Ork army).

Kans only become more effective in an IA8 Dreadmob army where they can be fielded as units of 5 as Fast Attack choices.  While I personally hope they don't become Fast Attack choices in any new Ork Codex, in the Dreadmob list they are fantastic (although personally I found it a bit tiring to fire 5 Grotzookas all at once).

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #6 on: June 2, 2012, 03:07:53 PM »
I used to run a trio of kanz in every list, with 2 big shootas and a grotzooka...  I know it doesn't sound like a good set up...  But back before running, you could only move 6 inches each round anyhow, so I would used the big shootas at distant targets, and use the grotzooka when I got close...  He kanz made it through almost every battle, since they got mostly ignored....  But they came through in some big ways, often killing a vehical with DCCW's or picking off light transports with the big shootas...  Also, they made for a very nasty anti infantry bunch... 

In the current edition, I have just gotten back into kanz, and have since in my codex: orks kan wall...  It's not so much a kan wall is a lot of walkers of various types and a ton of other stuff with the back up of a healthy number of boyz...  So far, the army is performing well...  I run one squadrin with rokkits and the other with grotzookas...  The grotzooka kanz run with the dreads, taking on a supporting role for them (grotzookas do a fair job at opening transports too btw).  The rokkits normally get ignored while they happy walk up shooting and blowing up vehicals until they get close enough to charge and rip some things up...

About Kanz...  They are a great buy...  They cost about as much as a terminator, yet have good armor, a DCCW, and another weapon of your choice...  On the charge, a unit of three can really make a mess of things...  And if you don't kill them, they have the staying power to hang around until something that can do the job shows up...

Overall, I think they are one of the best units orks have! With their better BS, excellent armor (for a squadrin, which is usually 10), close combat prowess, and AT/AI kustomization, they are pretty good...

Adam

Here is my kanz BTW...  They are just put together and awaiting basing and paint...  I magnetized everything on mine, since I like to pull it off in games when I get a WD result...  It also makes them easier to transport and swap out weapons to suite my list...

I'm most proud of the upper lot, since I took some older kan models and upgraded them to look more like the newer models with shoulder pads, and arm mounted grotzookas...

Offline Ork E Nuff

• Ork Boy
  • 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go, 'ere WE go!!!!!
  • Armies: Orks, SM (occassionally)
« Reply #7 on: June 2, 2012, 07:30:04 PM »
Way back when, around 1998, I started to dabble with kanz.  I would always include a kan or two in every list, as it seemed to be a real equalizer with better armored foes, or a real terror to IG or various incarnations of 'nids.  They were clanky, chuncky, and all around a good time.  After a while, my opponents would be zeroing in on them instead of scoring units of troops, or high cost elites/fast choices. 

Here are my 2 oldest

...yes, I know, square bases...Originally, that's what they came with when I purchased them, so they stayed.  No one I fight seems to mind.

Last weekend, I tried a variation on a Kan Wall (honestly, I don't know what one is...).  Six Kanz, 2 Dredds; lined up against a fortified wall with SM squads arrayed across it.
Here's what it looked like:

It worked out great.  4 out of 6 had rokkit launchas, 2 had skorchas.  To me, just the right amount of AT and AI weapons.  Coupled with DCCW, 3 wall sections and 2 towers came down in 1 turn.  After that, it was merely a matter of attacking the SM in close combat and wiping out 40 soldiers.  Not bad for my first time using them like this.

Now, what have I to add to the growing opinions of what is or is not the best way to use kanz.  I love to use 'em as shock troops.  I often tried to exploit the weakest link in my opinions lines; armored clankers are best in this role.  Cover them with a mek in the area, and you can repair any destroyed weapon or immobilized vehicle rolls.  I always add grot riggers for the same reasons, a chance at getting back into the fight.  I haven't tried the grotzooka yet, I am going to build one on my next versions of kanz (which I'm building for this months challenges).  Finally, I think that if you can use kanz in your lists, you really need to.  They're not flashy like a dredd, not noisy like flashgitz, but they can be effectively overlooked or underestimated by the woefully uninformed opponent.  Build 'em, collect 'em, and most of all, USE 'EM!!  Now, get out there and crump somethink...
Blood n Guts is nuffin more dan bio-d-gradible axle grease.....Remember, that which does not kill you, will only try harder the next time...I've named me attack squig "Skippy"....is that wrong?

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: June 2, 2012, 07:35:33 PM »
Ah now we speak my lingo.   I love my kans.  Usually paired up with a pair of dreads in a common game, I will run two squads.  One will be armed with grotzookas while the other is armed with rokkits.   When I go for apocalypse I field 3 squads of them in my Dread Mob.   

I run a pretty straight forward kan wall list.   Dreads in the center, kans to the sides.  (though now with the new KFF rules, which blow, my kans are a lot more bunched up).

Best moment with my kans is when they got charged by a unit of Thunder wolf calvary and Instagigged them all.   Even with their unmodified toughness it is still no match for a DCCW of the killa kans (or dreads for that matter).

Make sure to pack enough distractions and a big mek w/ a kff.   Once your kans hit your opponents backfield it is curtains.

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #9 on: June 3, 2012, 08:11:44 AM »
Hey AoD, How did you get your checkering so sharp?  It looks really good...

I had a similiar time with TWC...  My kanz charged him and did a couple wounds (no good storm shields! lol)...  Anyhow, he went to put a wound token on one of the guys and I chuckled...  "Sorry brother...  He's dead!" lol

Adam
« Last Edit: June 3, 2012, 08:14:00 AM by adamscurr »

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: June 3, 2012, 11:04:52 AM »
I use decals for really small checkers.  My boyz it varies.  Mostly stickers but I have hand painted them.   For the Stompa, I took a pencil and drew them on first over my black primer.  Then it is just paint in the blocks you want painted.   Using a pencil helped me paint within the lines without having to do lines with a paintbrush, which can turn out a bit sloppy.  Not to mention you can see the marks, even on black primer, using a pencil.

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #11 on: June 3, 2012, 05:20:59 PM »
Good idea...  I hadn't considered it...  I normally just free hand mine...  When I'm on, they look good...  When i've tossed back a couple...  Well...  They don't look so good in the morning light! lol

Adam

Offline typhon

• Wych | Free Boota Ork
  • warboss of the SUN and DA MOON orks
« Reply #12 on: June 3, 2012, 08:02:22 PM »
I found that I do my best checkers or freehand late at night I have to be tired.  I just have a steadier hand I guess. 

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
« Reply #13 on: June 4, 2012, 03:48:49 AM »
@AOD - I just spotted your kan that has a wrecking ball for its DCCW, that's a brilliant idea  :)  if I hadn't already built my third kan unit I might have looted it...
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: June 4, 2012, 02:41:19 PM »
@AOD - I just spotted your kan that has a wrecking ball for its DCCW, that's a brilliant idea  :)  if I hadn't already built my third kan unit I might have looted it...

Ya well I only bought one dread and one box of kans.  Then I won a couple of really cheap auctions for kan and dread bits (pretty much everything was cheap but the weapons) So I made my own grotzookas (except for the 1 it came with) and used my extra DCCW's that came with my dread, not to mention the rokkits that came with them.  Using the extra bits (especially arms and weapons) from my first kits (dreads and kans) I was able to only spend about $20 with shipping and made a second dread and a second set of killa kans.   

Wait til you see what I got planned for our Gitz it Done Event.  Gotta get some pics up.

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #15 on: June 4, 2012, 04:04:08 PM »
AoD has a good point...  Like a lot of ork vehicals, the Kanz offer a lot of kustomization potential, including stretch your bitz to make a few more... 

When I got into 40k, and orks for that matter (I was a fantasy guy for a long time before making the 40k plunge!) I chose orks as my army because of the freedom you have to build whatever you want...  The more over-the-top it is, the better!  My first trukk was built off of a model of "The General" from Dukes of Hazard...  AoD has really taken this idea to the next level, building a dread mob from spare parts! lol

Adam

Offline travisb7

• Ork Boy
« Reply #16 on: June 6, 2012, 03:05:09 PM »
I'll try to get pictures up later of these, but I LOVE Kans! They are incredibly versatile on the battlefield, so I never have a real "plan" for them except to screen my Boyz. My favorite use of them was slamming one into a unit of 30+ Conscript Guardsmen, none of which had Krak or Melta grenades... held a massive amount of lasgun fire off me for several turns.

My Kans nearly always earn well more than their points values back, either in knocking out a bunch of nasties (or not so nasties) on their own, or just drawing tons of fire and allowing my mobs to reach the opponent's front door.

Speaking of scratch-building, my Kans are built around old citadel paint bottles... TECHNICALLY a Games Workshop product, as more than 50% of the model was purchased from them! The rest is plasticard/balsa/paper/putty.

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: Space wolves, Eldar, Orks
« Reply #17 on: June 6, 2012, 05:14:04 PM »
My favourite time with kanz... Must be the time when I was facing DE, he had equipped an archon and 2 wytch squads to kill my boyz, they tried to charge a squad, but got just 2 inches, despite their better fleet thingy. So I charged them with 2 kanz, both with one weapon blown off, and discover that no one in the squad has haywire grenades, or anything that can harm them. My kanz only killed one wytch, but it was hilarious to tie them up for three turns, it was about 500 points, by a 135 point squad of kanz, who were otherwise practically useless, classic! ;)
Be nice to nerds, you'll probably be working for them.

What if by 'fly you fools'  Gandalf was actually telling the fellowship to call the eagles and fly to Mordor?

"Thunder rolled... It rolled a six"

+++Melon melon melon+++
+++out of cheese error redo from start+++
+++Divide by cucumber error. Please reinstall universe and reboot+++

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #18 on: June 6, 2012, 10:07:09 PM »
I got into a fight with my kanz today...  They did great...  I knew this already, but they are really though for people to deal with, especially if they don't have a lot of long ranged AT...

My opponent was BA, and most of his AT was melta guns, which did blow up some walkers...  But he had to get so darn close to use them that everything swarmed him on my turn!

Adam

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 08:35:31 AM »
I have seen kan walls effectively used, and they are indeed a table clearing army. I have a buddy that I have rarely played against who fields a kan wall, and was doing it way before IA8 came out.

He had two KFF meks, two dreads, and three squads of three kans and three or four large units of boys. He literally could cover the table from side to side on the long edge during set up. I have even watched him table almost all the SM players at my local, even the space wolves players. Of course he still has problems against the white scar player we have (who has been playing the white scars since GW invented them) so the army is not invincible, but is darn close to it.

I was almost going to start some kans and dreads, but a sign from Gork and Mork saved me, GW released the new jet, and so I had to have them, and was saved from straying from the path of the KOS. I am relieved that the KOS inquisition will not be paying me a visit.

As some have found out the boarding plank is the best anti dread weapon the orks have. It allows you to drive up next to a dread and kill it without the dread being able to attack back. A great way to neutralize certain really cheesed dreads that have too much killing power, not to mention it is really fun as it makes BA players jump up and down and mewl and look up rules and call GW and get their Ipad to look up FAQs and all sorts of fun activity to watch.   ;)

I know, I know, this thread is about kans, and I may have gotten a little off subject there.

To sum up, if you want an army that is almost guaranteed to beat most things space marine then go with a kan wall army. If you want an army that will beat just about every army out there when played right, then go with speed freaks (oops, there I go again  :o )
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak