News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: WotW - The World Famous Grot-off Competition!  (Read 12778 times)

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
  • What were all those "do not's" again?
WotW - The World Famous Grot-off Competition!
« on: February 11, 2011, 06:03:12 AM »
Well hi folks, for your entertainment this week (and well into next month) I bring to you via Jack_Merridew's vendetta against me the World Famous Grot-off! It's world famous now, cuz I'm the Boss, so I'm tellin youz to sit down and frag up and take a good long read.

THE GROT-OFF! - And the necessary rules:
•  Each competitor has from whenever you read this until March the 25th to create rules for a new Grot Unit (or re-imagining old units with no current rules), and then (this is the really fun part) you must create one model from that unit and post it up. It is incouraged to post the rules for your new unit as soon as you've written them (so as to 'ninja' other people's ideas ~ you're a Grot so get your sneaky down right dirty tactics on), and you have until the 25th to make any changes you like to your posted unit.

EDIT: It popped into my head just now that some people (myself included) might find the current Grot units to be quite Naff, so competitors have free reign to re-write current Grot units however they like and use that as their unit.

•  This competition is a Create A Unit, Painting and Conversion Competiton, open to any member of 40KOnline, Ork player or otherwise.

•  This competition will have a pole open to all 40KOnline members to vote on their favourite entry. Each winner, if part of the Green Menace, will receive 20 Teef in 1st place, 10 Teef for 2nd, and 5 for 3rd.

•  Where possible all photos must appear as thumbnails. To learn how to do this follow this link to moc065's guide to thumbnail's

Create A Unit Specific Rules:
•  You may not enter a new unit which has been written so it can be taken as many times as the FOC allows, but with an optional new unique upgrade character (like Boss Zzagstrukk) which you can only take one of per army. You may however enter a single unique unit with named characters, but the entire unit must be written as one, not seperate parts.

•  It is frowned upon for you to enter into the competition a new unit with the option of taking a new type of dedicated transport (because its a two-part unit). If you wish to do this please send me a PM and I will decide on a case-by-case basis.

•  Please make sure the formating for your entry is well presented. For an example of the level I like, click me.

Conversion/Painting Specific Rules:
•  The required one model should be converted if necessary and painted with a minimum of 3 colours.

•  Whilst you may want to make a fancy base for your model, the only requirement for bases is that they are properly based (so paint, flock or gravel etc).

•  Please only post a maximum of three (3) pictures of your completed model.

THE VENDETTA
Due to the rules of the Way of the Waaagh! - The Green Menance, members may challenge other members to a wager. In this case Jack_Merridew has thrown down the power klaw and has challenged me to beat him in this competition. The wager is 6 Teef each, winner takes all. I have accepted this challenge.

DropFall out!

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 03:09:04 AM by DropFall »

Offline the.wordless

• Ork Yoof
Re: WotW - The World Famous Grot-off Competition!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 06:09:12 AM »
I ish in since it was technically my idea.. cough. :D Oooo this is gonna be fun

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
  • Shhh....be warry warry quiet, I'm huntn' umies...
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 09:46:53 AM »
Two teef to the boy who takes a crow bar to Drop Tonya Harding style so I can win!

Offline the.wordless

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 09:55:16 AM »
Damn I'll take them teef.. I know where he lives muahahaha I'll get him in his sleep :D

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 12:34:11 PM »
Right then, like I don't have enough irons in the fire I am adding one more.

A grot unit and a model to prove it. Well then, I guess I better get to it.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 12:50:18 PM »
What are your thoughts on using some of your special rules like runty or swarm 'em?  Runty especially.  I didn't know if you wanted to keep that or if it could be adapted into my unit idea?

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
  • too much fun is bad? Pish Posh
  • Armies: Blood Angels,  Orks, Eldar,
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 04:49:03 PM »
Count me in too. Dis is gonna be fun fur da grotz as dey git no luv anyways!

3 Things matter in marksmanship.... Location location location

My favorite part of Star Wars is when Darth Vader flips out and chokes a coworker at a staff meeting

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
  • Armies: Malifaux :P
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 05:31:02 PM »
So, just to be clear on the rules, can this unit consist of a single model? Like a HQ unit? Or does it have to contain more than one model?

Either way I am in. I have the best idea. Hopefully it comes out the way I envision it.

Heheheh...this is gonna be great.

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 06:50:31 PM »
So, just to be clear on the rules, can this unit consist of a single model? Like a HQ unit? Or does it have to contain more than one model?

Either way I am in. I have the best idea. Hopefully it comes out the way I envision it.

Heheheh...this is gonna be great.

The unit can be a single model unit.

What are your thoughts on using some of your special rules like runty or swarm 'em?  Runty especially.  I didn't know if you wanted to keep that or if it could be adapted into my unit idea?
Well I guess you and anyone else who wants to can use them. I kinda handicapped myself by posting those two units in the Forge; I've gota come up with a new one.

Offline Jack_Merridew

• Kommando Nob
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 10:39:37 PM »
I will defeat you drop...it's only a matter of time.

Offline The Gretchin

• Ork Boy
  • Operate, operate, still time to operate! /Mad Dok
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 01:18:50 AM »
I´m in :)

Offline DropFall

• Bad Moon Big Mek
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 03:05:02 AM »
I have just added this line of rule into the rules.

EDIT: It popped into my head just now that some people (myself included) might find the current Grot units to be quite Naff, so competitors have free reign to re-write current Grot units however they like and use that as their unit.

Additionally it should be pointed out that this comp came about out of a want from both Jack & I to have a Grot codex. So competitors should feel free to ignore the need for Ork  involvement in their units.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 03:09:52 AM by DropFall »

Offline the.wordless

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 04:29:57 AM »
Jeez too awesome.. no touching my uberness  :D

Heavy Support:

GROT UBERWAGON        XXX Points
BS
  Front Armour
  Side Armour
  Rear Armour
Composition: 1 Grot Uberwagon

Type: Vehicle, Tank, Open-topped

Wargear: 1 Hull mounted Uberzooka, 4 Shootas and a Reinforced Ram

Options: The Grot Uberwagon may take 4 additional Shootas for +3 points each

The Grot Uberwagon may replace up to 2 Shootas with one of the following:
 - Big Shoota or Skorcha for +5 pts
 - Rokkit Launcha for +10 pts

The Uberzooka may be replaced with a Killkannon for +15 pts

The Reinforce Ram may be replace with a Deff Rolla for +15 pts

SPECIAL RULES
Rolling Scrap Pile - See Grot Tanks page 135 of Imperial Armour 8

Dakka Overload -

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 09:11:20 AM »
The grots were wandering around the battle field one day after the dark eldar had accidently come to the aid of the grots. It seems that the orks had mustered to try for a final push to eliminate the grot resistance, and just as they were about to attack a portal opened and the dark eldar screamed into reality. It was a great fight, both sides slaughtering the other. The dark eldar left carrying two of the warbosses with them, and leaving behind all sorts of equipment.

With the orks currently leaderless, and with drastically reduced numbers, the grots found themselves unmolested as they picked through the debris of the battle field. In one fairly open field they found the wreckage of some of the jet bikes. One grot got on and tried it out, it still worked. With single minded effort the rest of the bikes were soon salvaged and taken back to camp.

Once back in camp the dark eldar weapons were removed and propa ork/grot weapons were installed. Having fixed up the damaged ones so that they flew mostly straight, and reweaponed the others the squadron flew into the rising sun. With just a little practice the grots became expert flyers and soon had mastered the art of the drive by. After only two battles the unit became the most feared unit of the grots, when the orks saw the grot bikers heading towards them they often dove for cover, allowing other grot units to get close enough to releive the orks of their weapons and teeth.

Because of the original builders, the grots found that the bikes could enter the web way, and that the web way was far easier to use to get to other planets rather than space travel. With this new found skill they were soon raiding other worlds and taking what they wanted. They even raided the dark eldar home worlds and found a way to take more bikes back home with them. With these raids on the dark eldar, they enlarged the squadron even more, eventually starting a second squadron.

With their quick and easy success the grots decided that they would emulate the original riders, only do it better. With that, a quick vote was taken, and their new motto was approved by all. So when one rider asks another what they are doing that day, the reply is; "Same thing as we always do; Try to take over the universe"

Grot Jet Bikes
FOC slot: Fast Attack

18 points per model.

WS BS  S   T      W   I  A   LD SV
Grot Biker 3    3   2  2(3)   1   3  1*  7  4+
Bully         3    3   2  2(3)   1   3  2*  7  4+

Unit Composition: 3 - 15 Grot Jet Bikes

Unit type: Jet Bike

Wargear: Jet Bike, Twin Link Big Shoota, Spikes, Grots have hand weapon.

Special Rules: Scouts, Infiltrate, Hit and Run, Drive By

Options:
Any bike in the squad may change its big shootas for twin link rockit launchers for 10 points
Any bike in the squad may change its big shootas for a kustom mega blaster for 10 points
Any bike in the squad may take a copilot for 6 points
Any bike in the squad may change its big shootas for a skorcha for 15 points
One model in the unit may take a Grot Waagh Banner for 15 points.
One grot may be upgraded to meddik for 15 points.

One grot jet biker may be upgraded to bully for 8 points
The bully may take a power weapon for 10 points
The bully may take a grot pole (counts as boss pole) for 5 points

Copilot Used when going on raids to other worlds so that they can either drop off the copilot to bring back captured bikes, or to hold on to any extra equipment that has been liberated from its original owner while the pilot flys the bike. In the event of the death of pilot the copilot can easily assume the job of pilot. A copilot grants the biker model 2 wounds.

Meddik The meddik changes his hand weapon for docs tools, (that he obviously borrowed from a pain boy that didn't need them anymore) granting the unit a modified feel no pain, but only on turns that the unit did not turbo boost. ( The unit is going too fast for the meddik to treat anybody, they just get left behind) The modified feel no pain roll is on a 5+ using the bikes tougness of 3 rather than the grots tougness of 2, otherwise it follows all the other rules as listed in the main rule book. The meddik cannot upgrade his weapons and cannot carry the Grot Waagh Banna.

Grot Waagh Banna The grot Waagh Banna is a symbol of pride of the jet bikers, and as long as the model that carries the banna is alive the unit is stubborn. The Banna also allows the grots to rally even if under half strength, other conditions such as an enemy within 6" apply as normal.

*Spikes: The jet bikes have bits and pieces of scrap attached to them and the edges have been sharpened. On the charge the squad generates D6 S4 hits per bike, (Roll 1D6 for the whole squad, then multiply by the number of jet bikes in the squad). Because the bikes are aimed and there is no stopping them, there is no modifier that can prevent the first turn attacks. That means defensive grenades etc. do nothing against the charge of the grot jet bikes. Subsequent turns of combat revert to the grots normal attacks and strength.

Drive By: On any turn that the bikes turbo boost, they may still shoot their big shootas at any unit they flew over. Move the unit the full move (must be at least 18") and if they pass over an enemy unit, they may shoot that unit with their big shootas. On the drive by only the big shootas may fire, rockits, skorchas and mega blasters just have too slow of a rate of fire for a drive by.  If more than one unit was moved over before the end of the move the grot jet bikes may choose which unit suffered the drive by, but may only shoot at one enemy unit.

(Click on the picture for a larger view.)
The Jet Biker Squad

Just playing around here, just think what they will look like on a wedding cake.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 10:21:16 AM by SKEETERGOD »
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline The Gretchin

• Ork Boy
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 12:57:27 PM »
Great one there Skeeter, but my will be better  ;) ;) ;)

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 05:50:05 PM »
Well if we can post the rules first then I am going to put mine up so anything akin to my idea isn't taken. I wrote a small fluff piece for my entry like in the individual unit descriptions, hope that's alright.

Skrib da Grot-Hulk
Skrib was once an ordinary Grot, seemingly destined to for ever (at least until he died, which probably wasn’t far away, he often thought) serve his Ork masters, in particular, a freebootin’ Big Mek named Fizgit. Fizgit was always messing around with gadjitz and gubbinz, when one day, he finally created his very own Shokk Attack Gun. Skrib had been helping him, by stealing, err, borrowing...parts and pieces of stuff from other Meks, to use in the craziest of downright mad machines the Big Mek had ever built.
   Fizgit was so excited at the completion of his new prized possession, that he decided he had to test it right away. Before Skrib knew was happening, was being catapulted through a tiny tunnel the gun had created in the Warp.
   It was horrible. All around him, the infinite reaches of the Immaterium appeared to close in on him, as he flew through it at horrendous speeds, yet somehow never seemed to be going anywhere. Nor did it end quickly.
   Faces began to appear, on the outsides of the tunnel. But they were not like any faces Skrib had seen before. Ghastly and monstrous, they tormented him and frightened him beyond his wits, and the poor Skrib lost his mind within seconds (or what felt like seconds).
   The faces were soon joined by bodies, hideous and vulgar, disgusting and terrifying all at once. They contorted in ways he’d never thought possible, took shapes he could imagine. He could not help but scream; scream so loudly that it must have echoed throughout the entire place. And then...
   SMASH! He reappeared into reality, a great distance from the Ork camp. He rocketed out from the Warp, hitting the ground hard, skidding, skipping, flipping, rolling, until finally, he came to a stop.
   The pain was intense. But he was alive; he knew that much. Slowly, he picked himself up. Having lost all traces of what was supposed to be sanity, it was uncertain what went through his mind from then on. But he quickly realised, that his traumatic journey had changed him...
   Fizgit didn’t stand a chance.

Skrib: 75pts.
In a Grot Army, Skrib can be taken as a Special Character counting as an HQ choice. An an Ork army, Skrib can be taken as an option for one unit of Gretchin, and does not take up any FOC slots (in this case however, he looses Independent Character and simply permanently joins the Gretchin mob), at the same cost for either army.

Model
WS
BS
S
T
W
I
A
Ld
Sv
Skrib
4+

Unit Composition: 1 (Unique)

Unit Type: Infantry.

Wargear: Teeth, tentacles and unnatural muscles.

Special Rules: Independent Character, Warp-Crazed, Blood Lust, Ork Hater.

Special Rules
Warp-Crazed: Skrib has been catapulted through the Warp, and while there, lost his mind, only to return as a maniacal, crazy warp-altered beast capable only of rampant destruction. As such, he is Fearless, and confers this rule upon any Grot unit he joins, contrary to the Fearless Universal Special Rule’s wording. Additionally, as he has travelled to and from the Warp, he has been granted an unnatural skill for surviving, possibly an extrapolation of his skills as a Gretchin. His saving throw is Invulnerable. His attacks have the Rending USR, to account for his sheer strength ‘granted’ by the Warp.

Blood Lust: Skrib is nothing more than a mindless killing machine, always itching to tear something apart. He has the Rage USR. Also, at the end of each Ork/Grot turn that he is not in combat, remove a model of your choice from any unit he accompanies, as he is always desperate to kill something.

Ork Hater: The ultimate cause of his current state, Orks are Skrib’s one true hate above all else. If he ever joins a unit containing Orks (even just one), you must remove two (if not possible, one) Orks of your choice each turn for his Blood Lust rule before any other models. In addition, Skrib will always roll to hit in combat against Orks on a roll of 3+.

Click to Enlarge
Front:

Side:

Back and Size Comparison

Now I know, it has been mentioned that the units we're creating are more or less for the Grot Codex, and as such there will be no Orks around for the Ork Hater rule to come into effect. That's why I decided to give him an exclusive kind of Preferred Enemy against Orks, like it used to be. I've also made it clear where he can be added in an Ork army.

I'm not sure on the points yet either, but I think I will make him cheap enough to be worth taking, despite his downsides. Something around 45pts, maybe.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 01:17:32 AM by Saracenar »

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
  • too much fun is bad? Pish Posh
  • Armies: Blood Angels,  Orks, Eldar,
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 12:48:11 AM »
I'm unable to join in now, need a new transmission for the car so am unable to buy grots

3 Things matter in marksmanship.... Location location location

My favorite part of Star Wars is when Darth Vader flips out and chokes a coworker at a staff meeting

Offline The Gretchin

• Ork Boy
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 03:23:00 AM »
I love your grot Saracenar but he must be more expensive than 45p

He´s strong like a warboss, same save, better invulnerable save, worser weapon skill, a huge Leadership, many attacks, high initiative, he´s fearless, furious charge, rending

I would have him at least 80-90p, cause I don´t think that he´s bad sides will hurt the owning player that much

Offline Saracenar

• Skarboy Nob
  • "Ugh..."
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 04:13:52 AM »
He does have Rage though, meaning that he can be baited around by units that are faster than him. Also note that his save is ONLY invulnerable, so things like Psycannons will kill him outright. He doesn't have Furious Charge either. Putting him with your stronger squads (which would probably be preferable) is also a handicap, as he kills one each turn.

Still, I must agree that 45pts is too low. I just threw it in there as I was pressed for time and had to leave as I was finishing him.

How about, 65-75pts?

Getting some ideas for the actual model now, gonna be interesting...

Offline The Gretchin

• Ork Boy
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 06:44:13 AM »
70-80p

I didn´t think about Rage, sorry ;)