News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: WotW - Feb-wagh-ary campaign (500, 750) Ork vs ---  (Read 3115 times)

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
WotW - Feb-wagh-ary campaign (500, 750) Ork vs ---
« on: February 7, 2011, 09:44:52 AM »
Game #2 can be viewed here, or scroll two posts down.

Bluu in da Phaes has an announcement to make. (so listen up).

Big Bluu has found some unsuspecting gits fer us to stomp on, and they are not a very large group so he has decided to bring some of his less drunk boyz wit him and og kick some arse (today).

Here is who is going.

Big Bluu (Warboss) on his Warbike, wif his Power Claw and Cybork parts (135)
3 Big Meanies (Knobs on der warbikes), wiff stickbombz and cybork parts

~ Painboy
    ~ Waagh banna bum wiff C-Skorcha
    ~ Big Choppa dude wiff bosses pole  (213)

12 Ladz (Boyz), 1 is a Knob wiff PowerKlaw and Bosses Pole, and day is in a Trukk wiff Red Flames (152)
500pts, 2 Scoring units, 3 Kill Points, and 17 figures

Our mission is simple.
We will Set up. Spear head. Orks choose any quarter to set up. In the opposite quarter center is an objective. The enemy chooses either of the two remaining quarters, and sets up at least 18" away from the nearest ork.
The orks go first unless the enemy steals the initiative.
The game lasts 5 turns. Special rules: when fighting in close combat set the casualties off to the side. After combat resolution, roll a D6 for each of your casualties. If a 1 is rolled the model is removed from the board, if 2+ is rolled the model is now your enemies prisoner, do the same for the enemy casualties and those that roll a 2+ are your prisoners.
If your unit is wiped out the prisoners escape, your HQ (if you take one) cannot take prisoners. Vehicles that do not explode may be taken prisoner (ie looted), prisoners count as per model not as per wounds of the model, so if you take a 5 wound swarm as prisoner it only counts as one prisoner, etc. 
The "prison" is somewhere in cyberspace, you do not have to worry about moving them or their blocking line of sight, etc. Your opponent must nominate which of his units is the one taking prisoners, if that unit is wiped out he/she loses thier prisoners. (your orks run free) Note; escaped prisoners are removed from the board as casualties, they do not rejoin their unit.

Victory conditions: Hold the objective with the most models (not wounds, models) OR have the most prisoners. At the end of turn 5, If one has more models on the objective and the other has more prisoners fight one more round of close combat to determine a winner. If the armies cannot get into close combat this turn, it is a draw.

Opponnent turns out to be a long time friend "Gary" with his newly revised Dark Eldar. This is an army he has had for years (15+ probably) and at one point I traded him my Dark Eldar for his Eldar as we were both running about 1500pts of each and after the trade we could use our respective 3K from each race to actually have a lot more options and eventually a lot more wins. Gary is a very respectable gamer and general and I have seen him take the Dark Eldar to top spot in several events, so I figured on a very tough game especially since my force is somewhat awkward at such a small point value (Knobs on Bikes cost a lot) and his new Codex would be sure to throw some new and interesting things at me to deal with.

Anyway the Dark Eldar force was something like this.

HQ dude with minimal upgrades; but he gives a token out to a unit to grant them FNP (now this sounds broken already)
8-9 Wyches in a raider; syberite has antagonizer and they roll a 5 to grant them +1 attacks in CC (try and guess where the token will go).
1 Talos, (its leaner and meaner than ever so I am not impressed)
2 Beastmasters (new unit, so I have no idea what to expect)
~~ 10 Beasts (he is using the wolf calvery figures - pictures to follow).

He told me it was 500ish, so way we go... his favoured are the Beasts, and the Wyches are his troops.

We roll off for 4 x 4 or 6 x4 and end up with 6 x4 battlefield, we then take turns setting up some terrain and I throw down my army (really poorly as I should have been set to protect against certain things; but more on that later). He then sets his army exactly 18 away (and it is like Gary to rush you, so I expect he will now try to steal the Initiative)... Anyway the store is having a campaign as well, so we pick the planet we will be fighting on, and see that we are not allowed any buildings (we had none anyway). There is also a 0.01 offset for the forces of Good, and for whatever weird reason I am deamed as the attackers and "good-guys" for this game (for store campaign purposes). We then have some banter and Gary says that he will try to steel; he grabs teh weirdest looking dice I ever saw (honestly, this was a new one for me as it was a gem thingy with 6 sides on its cylindrical body but then it had flatenned out ends as well so that is would be forced to always land on one side - which of course had the 6 showing on top) and proceeds to accompllish his first task and steels the Initiative. (I have a feeling that this is really going to hurt, as my Trukk is 18 away and has no protection from anything).

Turn 1.
~~a -- Gary advances his army as far as he can, unloads the Wyches out the front of his Raider, and starts his shooting. Trukk gets shaken by a Darklance on the Raider and then his Wyches Fleet 3 inches (which might get him into 1st turn assault range on the Knob Bikers). He dclares his assaults and the Beasts have no issues to pounce onto my trukk, he measures and finds that his wyches are 6.25 inches from the Knobs so they stand there twiddling their thumbs. The beasts then attack the truck with some 28 str=4 attacks (only 7 were in range to attack) but they quickly wreck the Trukk through mass glancing damage. The Ladz get out and I work dilligently to actually get all 12 set up without having to kill any due to the 1" ruule to his beasts and the lack of real estate left over. (And Gary worked to hedge me out of existance, so I was happy to even have them survive, extatic to get all 12 legally out of the trukk).

~~ b -- Movement is not a huge issue as the enemy is within inches of me and the Ladz fate is pretty well sealed. Knob and Boss move over to dakka/assault whyches so that Talos can be avoided later. Shooting goes well as the Ladz kill a beast (nasty 4++ save was sorking well for gary so far). C-Ckorcha and dakka kills off a wyche and should have roasted 3 Beasts; but the 4++ save is working too well for Gary. CC has the Wyches failing to hurt any Knobs, and the Knobs crushing 2 wyches (as again his saves are working too well). The Wyches fail their Comrez LD roll though and although they get away, they are auto-retreating on the DE turn. The Beasts fair a little better as they kill 10/12 Ladz straight out, the Knob then stomps 1 beast under his boots (he should have killed 3; but that 4++ save is working wonders still). Unfortunately even the boss pole fails to keep them in the fight, and with the Initiative offset between the 2 units, the Lads are quickly run down as the Beasts consolidate.

Turn 1 hurt, and if I had half a brain I would have set up with some protection against the enemy steeling init. But this is actually my 4th game in a row where I lost the Initiative, so I figured not everyone should get a 6 vs me (I was wrong obviously). I did have his little Girls on the run though, and they were close to the table edge, so I had some chances to pull things off still. He actually bagged 10/12 of those Ladz as his Prisoners (so I really did need to kill that Beast unit to retrieve them) and I bagged 2 of the Wyches of as prisoners.

Sorry but the camera batteries died at this point, so no more pics of this game. I hope the words I write can do it justice; but as will see, it doesn't last all that much longer anyway.

Turn 2
~~ a -- Gary had his wyches run back; but they stopped at the table edge, so he had options with them still. He then moved his Raider back (as the planet forced you to move your vehicle or take a auto-glance), his Talos forward (slow and steady) while the Beasts lined up to go for the Knobs. Shooting had my Big Chopps, Waagh Banner-bum take a darklance to the head, and my 4+ Cover Save didn't do squat, so he was out of the fight. The Beasts and the Talos then got into assault with the Knobs (the Talos was 6.1 away; but we allowed it due to possible knob adjustment when I whacked one removing the Banna-bum). Talos and Beasts manage a wound on the Boss, and one wound on the Boss Pole dude. Knob respond by stomping the guts out of 3 beasts (I get all 3 as prisoners). Beasts pass LD and Talos take no Fearless factor wounds (again the saves are working very well for Gary).
~~ b -- Close Combat continues, Beasts do nothing and the Talos manages one wound on the Pain-boy. Boss and Pain-Boy respond by stomping another 4 Beasts (got all 4 as Prisoners). Again the Talos goes unscathed as it passes all its Fearless factor wounds; but the beasts break and run (3d6) and they are still within 6" of the Painboy, so they are Auto-retreating.

Turn 2 was more sickness for me, but I see some light at the end of the tunnel if I can get his Beasts to fall off the table (releasing all those prisoners) and then get some quick damage on that Talos before I die).

Turn 3
~~ a -- Gary has the Beasts running at lightning fast speed (rolled 14-15" so they were gone, and all their prisoners released). The Wyches decide to go right through the terrain though and roll a 6 for DT, then they get another 5 for Fleet, so they will get into CC which I didn't need to happen just yet. Meanwhile his Raider wiggles around a little as it has nothing to do besides re-load the dark lance. CC has the Wyches jump in with the Painboy and he is pooched due to Initiative order; but wait the little girls are only str=3 so he actually doesn't take any wounds. Wait, the Talos goes next -- Smash, the painboy is crushed as he fails to make his 5++ save and has no access to FNP vs a Power Weapon. Boss then lines up on the Talos and wiffs overall; but at least does one point of damage to it.
~~ b -- CC continues so the wyches go first, antagonizer is the only scary thing and of course it manages to put the second wound on my Warboss. Talos wiffs but so does the Barboss as he rolls 1 hit with all of his attacks, and that one wound is saves on a ++ save (story of the game actually).

Turn 3 is bleak as my lads are released from prison; but I have only a few Beasts as prisoners, and no way left to get anymore. On top of that, my Boss has to survive 2 full turns of CC in order to prevent a massacre.

Turn 4
~~ a -- Gary has the Antagonizer Wytch hitting and wounding the Boss straight off, the boss then wiffs another save, and the game ends here.  Anti-climatic; but fitting considering the way the dice were going for "Bluu in da Phaes" during the battle.

We pack up our crap, watch another game (Eldar vs SM's) gab with some friends, and set up next weeks game, where I hope to get revenge on those silly little Dark Eldar. We agreed that since gary won with some 3 Prisoners in the end, that he could alter or swap out any 3 units of his choice as well as adding his 250pts to get up to 750 for that game. I also told him that I would try to get him a copy of thte scenerio/mission in advance as I did for this week. Since I had no prisoners we agreed that I would not adjust my force in anyway aside from adding more figures to it.

Suggestions on what to add for the next 250pts are welcome; but I am of the mind of simply shoving an extra 250pts of Knobs into the Knob Squad and watching how he deals with a more capable Knob unit.

Cheers and thanks for reading (Pics to follow as I did take some; but I left the camera in my other bag, so give me a day or so)

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z251/moc065/BatReps/BIDP/FebCampaign/PB200039.jpg
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 07:18:32 AM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
Re: WotW - 500pt Recon Mission
« Reply #1 on: February 7, 2011, 10:28:38 AM »
Well it is good the see the orks fighting the DE, and I see you had simular results as myself.

That beast unit is just ridiculous, it is literally a combat monster, now we just need to figure out how to get one for the orks....

Well written, can't wait for the pictures.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
WotW - 750 -- game 2
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 04:35:47 PM »
Listen up ladz Da Big Bluu Dude is speekin.

Daer is a battle set fer today, and Bluu in da Phaes has a score to settle vs some Dark Eldar dat took a couple of da Big Meanies prisoner a little back when BidP vs Dark Eldar took place. Well Da Big Bluu Dude is pissed; he wants revenge and he wants da Big Meanies back so he can punish dem propa fer der failure. Anyway here is who is going in to get dem back.

Bluu in da Phaes

1 Da Big Bluu Dude (Warboss) on his Warbike, wiff  Powa-Klaw & Cybork parts (135)

7 Big Meanies (Knobs on der warbikes) wiff Cybork parts
    ~ Painboy
    ~ Waagh banna bum
    ~ Big Choppa dude
    ~ K-Skorcha dude wiff ammo runt (re-roll da wounds)
    ~ Powa-Klaw dude wiff bosses pole
    ~ Powa-Klaw dude
    ~ Regular dude (463)

12 Ladz (Boyz), 1 is a Knob wiff Powa-Klaw and da Bosses Pole; Thay is in a Trukk wiff Red Flames (152)

750pts, 2 Scoring Units, 4 Kill Points, 21 Figures

Mission 2   750 points Febwaary 8th through 14th
The normal Force Org is changed to 1 HQ, 1 Troop, and your favored unit

Scenario two; Sneakin!
The enemy has a traitor in their midst, and your job is to liberate him/her/it.

Deployment;
Dawn of war: Roll off for first turn as normal, seize the initiative as normal.

Every turn the rules for night fighting are in effect.

Duration: The game ends after 6 turns with a 4+ chance for a turn 7, or when the traitor is liberated or killed.

Special Rules:
     After set up, but before the first turn nominate an enemy model. It may not be a character or a squad upgrades character model, (like the sergeant, exarch, etc.) it must be a rank and file model. However it may be a special weapons trooper, (such as the flamer, plasma gun, death spitter, etc.) Mark the model with a piece of paper on its base, or in some agreeable manner. Your opponent may roll once on the vetrans abilities table on page 263 of the big rule book for the unit you have chosen your traitor from.
     The traitor may not shoot at the orks, your opponent cannot roll any dice for that models shooting. In combat, the traitor must move away from the combat and avoid base-to-base contact, moving as far from any based models as possible, but must still maintain coherency. The traitor will not attack the orks, so again your opponent cannot roll dice for that models to hit rolls.
     Your opponent may not allocate close combat wounds to that model, as the orks deliberately do not attack that model. (The almost exact opposite of allocating attacks on an IC) If the other models of the unit are all killed, or if the unit is swept by the orks, then that model survives and is liberated, ending the game with the orks as the victor.
     Unfortunately, since ork shooting is not the best, your opponent may allocate shooting wounds to the traitor. (Taking armour saves as normal) If that model is killed then the game is over and the orks do not win (but we didn’t lose)
     Your opponent may not attack his own model in CC, nor may he shoot at his own model. If dangerous terrain causes wounds then the traitor cannot be assigned a wound. (or any other devious method that your opponent may come up with to get that model killed)

Victory conditions:
     You must destroy the unit the traitor is in so that the traitor is the sole survivor. If you liberate the traitor you win, if the traitor is killed, you lose. Any other result is a draw.

Anyway, I had to wait an hour of so for my opponent to get to the match, so in the meantime I built this little dude.

Grot Orderly (converted from OOP Grot)

I still have to get him to fit onto a bike with one of the Knob's (fer fun) etc, etc, but I like the way he turned out so far.

Gary didn't take an hour and a half, he was actually less than an hour, so when he arrived we had a little banter and went over the special rules of the mission. He really thought it was funny that he took a couple of my guys prisoner last week, got to torture them etc, and now he had a traitor in his group. He banged out a 750pt list but we modified the rules slightly to add the traitor to his list instead of replacing one figure. He also said that he really wanted to win so that he could take the traitor back and torture him for a while. Anyway his list was simple enough.

HQ dude with minimal upgrades.
9 Wyches (traitor goes with this squad) in a Raider.
10 Warriors in a Raider (Darklance)
10 Warriors in a Raider (Darklance)
Ravager with 3 Darklances.

A very fast and Mech list that he knew I would have trouble with as I don't carry a lot of anti-armour, and these low point games are limiting my anti-armour even more.

Bluu in da Phaes won the toss so we set up first. Note that the Trukk is empty at present so the Boss (HQ), Knobs (TR) and Trukk (TR) are my choices and limit for Dawn of War deployment. My plan was simple, go central to limit is movement early in the hopes to get to the Raider with the Traitor before he could get all his firepower working, and believe me Dark Eldar can carry a lot of firepower, especially when they laugh at a Game with Nightfight due to most of their army coming stock with "Night Vision" (one of their codex bumps from the old Dex).

Gary then declared that he would have his entire army drive on turn 1. And that he would again roll to try and steal the initiative. And you guessed it, for the 5th game in a row (Vs Gary) here is what he rolled (and I am really beginning to hate that die).

Turn 1.
~~ All the Dark Eldar arrive (Wyche Raider goes Flat out, the rest go 12" or less), and try to shoot at the Knob Bikers, and due to Night Vision a surprising number of shots are actually made that include some 5 Darklance Shots, and at least 12 shots from Warrior (4+ to wound due to poison is another Dark Eldar Codex Bump). Anyway the Knobs take a single wound through all that shooting.
~~ Orks responde by having the lads walk up to and get into their Trukk; the Knobs then advance with the Trukk coming up behind them. Trukk shoots Closest Raider and fails hard (couldn't even see it), the Knobs also shoot the closest Raider (Warriors inside) as the nighfight would be sure to mess with any attempt on the Wyche Raider over to the Left side. Dakka Guns prevail as some 24 shots later the Raider explodes (and that was after he made some 4 Cover Saves @5+ due to some other Dark Eldar Codex Bump "Flicker Field"), only 1 Warrior dies in the explosion, so after turn 1, both sides have taken a single wound.

Note that the last picture is part way into the movement of Turn 2.

Turn 2
~~ Dark Eldar move but the Raider on the right crashes in difficult terrain while the Left flank adjust to avoid contact with the orks while they try to get more effect from their shooting. Another full round of shooting (5 DL's and at least 30 shots from small arms) has 3 Knobs going down, the Orks roll a 4 to pass their LD with ease though, "Cause they weren't scared"
~~ Orks advance with the Knobs going after the Traiter Raider and the Trukk heading straight for the Warriors to try and negate some of that small arms fire. Ladz get out of the Trukk and call the WAAGH, to fleet a whoping 1". The Trukk fails to see the immobilized Raider when it tried to shoot; and the Dakka Guns fire at the Traitor Raider but the Flicker Fields save all damage. In the assault the Knobs and Boss manage to just barely shake the Traitor Raider but the Ladz roll a 5 for their Difficult Terrain and get into it with the Warriors. Warriors go first with some 9 attacks, causing exactly (0) wounds, the Ladz strike next with some 44 attacks, leaving no warriors for the Knob to even try to go for with his Klaw. The Ladz then consol some 3" so that they are 50% into the covering terrain.

Turn 3
~~ The Dark Eldar adjust their vehicles to stay keep the Traitor out of the Orky hands (OK, they ran away like the little girly cowards that they are). Immobilized Raider and Warriors shot at the trukk and take out its nice Big Shoota. Ravager then splats the Waagh Banna Bum with concerted Darklance shooting into the knobs (no ld test as 1/5 wasn't enough).

~~ Orks adjust to keep presure on the Raider as they need to get to that traitor and liberate him. The Ladz come out of terrain and the Trukk advances to build them some mobile cover. The Knobs and Boss (all 4 that are left) skirt the Ravager to get their Dakka Guns in range of the Raider. Shooting has the Traitor Raider being Wrecked, with the Wyches, HQ dude, and Traitor all being pinned as they they try to get out.

Turn 4
~~ Dark Eldar adjust their Ravager to continue to slow down the Ork Progress towards the Traitor. In shooting a single Knob goes down to a DarkLance wound from the Ravager, LD roll of a 10, fail, wait punch to the face and re-roll, oh crap = 12 even worse and fail again (and this was my mistake, as I should have assigned the wound to the t=5(6) boss, but for some reason I was thinking that a DarkLance would insta-kill him). Knobs then roll their 3 D6 to fall back and as they are under 50% they cannot regroup (so you can guess where they are headed in my turn).

~~ Knob auto-run off the table (due to my own stupid error for wound allocation). Ladz get into the trukk and advance on the Traitor, Their small arms kills 3 of the wyches (and the traitor makes his save).

Turn 5
~~ Dark Eldar adjust a little and the warriors get out of the Immobilized Raider and advance to see the Ladz. Raider takes a shot with its one DL and wrecks the trukk (and I actually forgot to roll for my cover; but at this point I figured the point was mute as he still had a Ravager to use should he need it, etc). Small arms from the Dark Eldar kills a couple of the ladz but then the Wyches assault and kill the rest before they can even swing in return (Having a +1 attack didn't hurt the Dark Eldar in any way, and maybe I should have tried for the cover save as this assualt basically ended the game; but I don't think my 11 ladz+knob would have faired any better even if they had the assault).

Another game where the orks had to make a quick exit to go and get more boys (we did not lose, there were no witnesses, so you couldn't prove it anyway). Gary once again used his Dark Eldar very well; but I also made a few really dumb mistakes (probably due the Old Age factor starting to settle in on me).

Cheers and thanks for reading, comments are always welcome.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 08:03:26 AM by moc065 »

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
Re: WotW - Feb-wagh-ary campaign (500, 750) Ork vs ---
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 08:41:35 AM »
Yes, I feel your need to find some anti-DE tactics. You just ran out of boys, had the nobs not decided to take a lunch break you might have got a much closer game.

I found out too, that the ravagers can put out some serious firepower, and so I brought my green baron to see if he could get one this game, and then of course there were none to get. :'(

Seems your DE player is in cahoots with mine, as your first game he had all foot troops with the beast squad and this game he was all mounted. While my DE player was all mounted last game and this game was foot troops with the beast squad. Last week I had to wait an hour for my opponent to arrive, this week you had to wait an hour. Hmmm, maybe they are traveling through the webway to switch armies.

Well, there is next week, and I will have some sneaky tricksy stuff waiting for the DE. MMMM, flamers....
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)

Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 03:23:03 PM »
I actually should and could have won both my games vs those Dark Eldar. I made the dumb mistake of throwing the lads into his Beasts when I should have dog piled his wyches in game 1, and then in game 2, I insta-killed Knobs vs Darklances when I should have been wound allocating to the the Warboss to extend the life span and size of the Knob unit. One assault on that Traitor Squad with the Knobs after they were pinned is all that it would have taken, and I had the ability to get that assault. I lost due to my own silly mistakes and probably because I simply don't play such small games that often any more; and in small games, those small mistakes hurt even more than in larger games.

Oh well, I am up to the 1K level next week and Gary said that is will make himself available, so I will get a chance for revenge. Any idea on unit/figures to add would be appreciated; but I am thinking of adding the last 3 Knobs to the squad to max it out, and then  "Baron-Von-Orktoffin" and if I have the points "Billy Bishork" will go in there as well. Actually the 2 Green Barons might go in first, and then add some Knobs as points permit. I was considering 1 Green Baron and a mob of Shoota boyz though, so thoughts are welcome.

Oh, and I have decided that no figures will ever leave the list for my escalation, I will simply add figures each week and make it work or have fun trying.

Cheers, and thanks for the comments so far.

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 07:58:47 AM »
Your barons are good ideas, and a maxed out nob squad is hard to beat.

I myself am seriously thinking of the burna boys

I like your idea of the shoota boys, but with the massive amount of raiders and ravagers, you might want a big group of tank bustas.