News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Ork Big Mek konversions!  (Read 4019 times)

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
Ork Big Mek konversions!
« on: March 20, 2010, 09:56:59 PM »
 I thought I was going to get to play a couple of games with my friend today, so I stayed up late last night putting together some more Ork models so that I'd have enough to play a 1500 point match.  Unfortunately, we got a freak snowstorm last night and I didn't get to make the trip.  However, I did manage to put together a couple of Big Mek konversions which I'm quite happy with.

Here are most of the bitz I intended to use to make a Big Mek with a Kustom Mega-Blasta and a Kustom Force Field.  Checking the codex entry one more time, however, I realized that I couldn't legally equip a single Big Mek with both of those pieces of equipment, so I made two. :D  I used the same AoBR Ork Nob body and head for both since I intend for it to be the same Ork in any battle I use one of them in, just equipped differently.  I don't ever imagine I'll bring two Big Meks as HQs in any Ork list outside of Apocalypse, so that is no problem.

As you can see, I included the Ork body and head, a right arm from the Ork Biker box, a power cell thingy from BfM, two SM Plasma Pistols, some extra bits I'd already cut up from the Tank Command sprue (decided not to use the one on the left), a guitar string, a Searchlight, a rifle-type gun that I don't know where it came from and could never find a use for, and a piece from one of my sons' broken cyborg skeleton toys. :P  What's not pictured, but used for the KMB model are a backpack from the Ravenwing sprue and one of the stands for the power fence from BfM.  I cut off three of the power nodules as you'll see below.

Here is the finished Big Mek with his Kustom Mega-Blasta.

Here's my Big Mek with his Kustom Force Field.  What's not pictured in the bitz pic, but used for the KFF model are an AoBR Ork Nob Shoota right arm with the Shoota cut off, a small skull-peg from AoBR that comes to put in the extra holes in the 1.5" bases, a metal spring you'll see included in the machinery on his back, and a small clear plastic dome I cut up to fit over the skull once the model is painted to represent the force field that is being created by the machine on the big Mek's back.

I must say, that guitar string is tough stuff -- to cut, to bend into a position it will keep, and to glue into place.  I had to drill tiny holes to stick the wire into in order to hold it in place long enough for the glue to dry.

I hope you enjoy the konversions.  I'm sure looking forward to painting them and putting them on the tabletop. :)  If you have any suggestions for slight improvements before I paint, I'd love to hear them.  Thanks! :)

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline Tethesis

• Dreamers come and go, but the dream's forever
Re: Ork Big Mek konversions!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 01:51:00 AM »
Guitar strings must be a tough material to use for conversions, but man it looks good if done properly. Your conversion is looking good, but it still doesn't make me think big mek, it makes me think more of the one with the big shock cannon, cant remember his name :p. He still looks like a boy with awesome equipment, I'd consider covering him in bitz to represent a mek armour. Or something more elaborate for its torso and head.

Its looking good though, far better than a simple stand by and pretty darn good for a conversion. Nice work ;)

Eldar fight dirty! d(ºwº)b

Offline Rakuall

• Never bet against the house
  • Hombrew (Chapter/Legion/Swarm/Warband/etc.) FTW
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 02:21:00 AM »
Quick thing to make him look more mek-ish, replace the axe head with a big-ass wrench. Good for clobberin' and fixin' on da go.
"I don't believe in no win scenarios." -Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise - NCC 1701
"Why do you always bother me when I'm drinking?" -Max Milini
"That's a relatively open weave and I can still see your nipular area." -Chandler Bing

My brother, now deceased:
http://keegancrack.deviantart.com/

Offline wren

• I call Shenannigans!
  • Armies: Eldar & Orks
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 07:56:00 AM »
it still doesn't make me think big mek, it makes me think more of the one with the big shock cannon,

Ermm... wouldn't that be a Big Mek with Shokk attack gun? ;)

Offline Tethesis

• Dreamers come and go, but the dream's forever
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 12:04:18 PM »
Indeed :P, is that what you're going for? I just skimmed through what you wrote.

And I agree with the wrench comment.

Eldar fight dirty! d(ºwº)b

Offline NewHeretic

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 01:01:12 PM »
Thanks for the replies and suggestions, fellas.  I'll see what I can do with the wrench idea and also see if I can get some better lighting for my pictures. :-\

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

Offline Impyrocker

• Ripper
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 02:38:09 PM »
wow looks really nice... the guitar strings really give it that chaotic orky feel.

Offline NewHeretic

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 02:27:13 PM »
Added some light for some, hopefully, better pictures.

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 02:55:19 PM »
Nice all around Kit-Bashes there NH... I like them both... I always drill the small holes for Guitar String work, and it works well with practice as you will get more accurate with your bends etc...

I will thrid the call for a Wrench of some sort (plastic card works)... as the Choppa looks outta place.

Nice job overall though. And thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Mr.Vincent

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 03:45:01 PM »
Nice work.Strip the centre cable out of the guitar string and you'll find it a lot easier to work with.
Need bacon

Offline NewHeretic

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 03:54:37 PM »
Nice work.Strip the centre cable out of the guitar string and you'll find it a lot easier to work with.

You know, I thought about that, but it didn't seem to want to come out when I made the effort.  Maybe I just need to work harder at it.  Is there some special trick to getting it out easily?

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

Offline Mr.Vincent

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 03:53:47 PM »
Unfortunately no,2 pairs of pliers and a lot of tugging.And keep it away from your face,one I've learned the hard way...
Need bacon

Offline Khain Mor (/kharandhil)

• <3 huskblades
    • Dark Moon Kabal
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 04:27:59 PM »
Not an orc fan, I hate them in fact, but I always enjoy watching a cool conversion.

Though when i make conversions I can't help it and just have to use greenstuff, I'm addicted to that stuff...
The Dark Moon Kabal ,possibly the biggest DE army ever!
over 20k and awesome, what more do you need to click? (last updated the 02/03/2012)

Nothing better than killing a thousand slaves to wake up in the morning.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 06:53:37 AM »
OK, this Kit-bash worked well; but flipping over to the Guitar wire item for a sec.

• ... You don't need to pull the center wire out... In fact if your using two sets of Pliers anyway, then simply use them in tandum to bend the wire exactly as you need it. And yes I actually do this all the time, it might take some practise as there is the bounce back factor, etc... but its not that tough.
  • .... You can get different sizes of Guitar wire, Seriouly,... so get the thinner wires (softer touch, and you might have to ask for them at the Music Store)... but the pack usually comes with 4 wires that are double wrapped... so use the smallest 2 and keep the larger ones for stuff that is almost straightlined....
  • ... If your determined to pull the center out, then try this. Hold the center wire in one set of pliers, unwrap a little bit of the outer wire... now wrap or wind a bit of the center wire around a stationary object (I use a nail in my Bench Vise)... Clip off the wire you unwound from the outter section; clip the wire to just over the length you want to use; now, pull the outter section off the center wire as the shorter run will be easier to remove than a long one.

I do hope that helps in some way...

Back on the topic of this conversion kit-bach....

Cheers
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering