News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: help choosing a mech type army please  (Read 1938 times)

Offline noobtastic

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
help choosing a mech type army please
« on: May 14, 2014, 03:33:00 PM »
Hello all,

I am new to the 40k scene.  I have experience with some of gw's other games, namely necromunda.  Love necromunda, but I want a larger scale skirmish experience now.  40k seems like the best option from what I've seen.  With the recent release of 6th ed, it seems like a good time to get in.

What I would like to hear your opinions on concern choosing an army.  I have several that I am currently considering and I just can't seem to narrow it down to one.  The basis for what I am looking for is a highly shooty mech build.  I really like the aircraft, tank and mechwarrior type units.  I use the term "mech" loosely (Battlesuits and the like are fine, I would prefer not to have any "exposed" individuals in my army.). I realize this poses a major issue with many armies as I'd need these units to count as troops to be able to take objectives.  What are my options?

Tau has a build where the crisis suits can be troops and take objectives, correct?  Same for a tank build with IG?  Are there others?

The other option is grey knights, while not mech, I just have a raging nerd-on for the look of the models.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: help choosing a mech type army please
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 06:14:58 PM »
While I can't comment on the armies to go for (never been my strong suit), what I can tell you is to hold back a bit if you are just getting into the game as the next edition is being released on the 24th of this month.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline noobtastic

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 06:20:26 PM »
Ok, sweet.  Thanks for the info.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 07:47:58 PM »
Tau has a build where the crisis suits can be troops and take objectives, correct? 

The Farsight Enclaves list allows XV8s as troops but that also requires you to have an additional book along side to play them.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline volatilegaz

• Aspect Warrior
  • I'm dead inside.
  • Armies: Eldar, Just starting Necrons
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 04:46:06 AM »
Shooty armies that have good tanks/battlesuits/aircraft would include Tau, IG, Eldar, and Space Marines

Tau have the suits which can be taken as troops (other armies rely on transport vehicles to 'enclose' their troops -and they can't claim objectives while inside them) and are probably the shooties army in the game. Their flyers are a bit pants.
IG have the best heavy tanks, and can field a lot of them. They have 3 different transport vehicles available. They are generally slow.
Eldar have the best transport, and are the most nimble army out there. They also have wraithguard, which could be described as troops in battlesuits (but it's a dead eldar driving the suit, rather than a live tau)
SM have 5 different transport vehicles available (6 if you count drop pods), including the landraider, which is the tankiest of tanks.

If you're worried about how competetive each army is in general, I would currently rate them as Eldar>Tau>IG>SM. But the IG have just had a new codex, and it's a bit too early to judge how much better/worse it's made them.

Definitely a good idea to waith until 7th ed rules come out before making a final decision though -There's lots of rumours about significant changes to how force organisation and objectives work, which could have a big impact on the type of army you build.

PS: Welcome to wonderful world of WH40k in general, and 40konline in particular!
The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 09:27:51 AM »
Hi & Welcome to 40kOnline

I find Space Marine's mechanised aspect lacking (esp. if you're talking about Chaos Space Marines!) as, despite their Infantry is one of the toughest ironically, their main transport (Rhino) is one of the weakest...

I'd go with Tau if you like the Devilfish and Battle Suit styles; Eldar if you like the Wave Serpents and Aspect Warriors; and Imperial Guard / Astra Militarum if you like lots and lots of tanks.  Orks also should get a mention as they classically charge forward in the red wagons and Dark Eldar are famous for lightning assaults from their Raiders.  However currently these two are weaker in part due to very light armour and in part due to having older Codexes which weren't written for the current (or future) rule set. 

The most important thing is that you enjoy the models you're collecting as you're going to have to do a fair amount of painting!

I hope this helps!

Slick Samos
Play more games, paint more models...

Offline LoH

• MODEL ALL THE PAINTS!
    • SIUC Strategic Games Society
  • Armies: IG,SW,SoB,Chaos Cultist,ImpFist 5C,INQ
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 03:26:03 PM »
Go with the Imperial Guard if you're a tread-head. You can field every infantry unit in a transport (all of which are heavily armed compared to a Space Marine Rhino), all of your antiair can be taken care of from either your Fast Attack (Vendetta for the most part) or Heavy Support (Hydra). You have the best tank chassis in the Imperium, and you can take those tanks as HQ choices as well. The Hellhound and its variants are downright evil to enemy infantry, and you have the option of taking either Wyverns for infantry-pounding delight or Basilsks for anti-everything artillery action. The new Taurox hull isn't a slouch, either.

Pretty much every vehicle that's not a dedicated transport in the codex can be taken as squadrons.
PAINT ALL THE MODELS!

Offline noobtastic

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 10:42:17 PM »
Thank you for all the welcomes and info/advice.

I think I will wait until 7th before I invest in anything.

A big part of why I want a mech army is that I really dislike painting "people".  Pretty much all of my necromunda gangs have only been primed and are extremely likely to stay that way. I used to build and paint model aircraft when I was younger and thoroughly enjoyed it.  In fact, I really enjoy creating camo patterns.    So, painting aircraft, tanks and mechs are right up my alley.  And, honestly, I'd gladly pay $40 for the extra IG book it if meant I didn't have to paint infantry. 

Seems like, if I go with IG, I would still have to take a couple infantry squads tho.  Which sucks because I want to go IG.  I think I am a treadhead in the making.  If there is a way around it, I would love to know.  I'd go with them in a heartbeat if I didn't have to take the infantry units.  Also, I hear a good number of players aren't cool with playing against lots of tanks...Any truth to that?

That being said, I started looking at the new farsight enclave options and I am heavily leaning in that direction (Ty for the info pointing me to them).  I like the idea of fielding a few crisis squads , some drones,  a couple of broadsides, a hammerhead and maybe a flier or two, points allowing.  Based on what I've read, it sounds fun and semi competitive.  Which is almost exactly what I'm looking for.

Being that I am going to wait to make a final decision, any input would still be appreciated.

Thank you again.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 11:15:55 PM »
If you're going Enclaves then take a look at the Eight. They're rather fun and very individualistic. All suited and all quite useable. Additionally, with the new psychic rules/phase coming out, you may want to take a close look at the Talisman of Arthas Moloch, it may be a very useful addition.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.