News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Age of Sigmar Gaming Blog  (Read 13136 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Age of Sigmar Gaming Blog
« on: July 22, 2018, 10:07:45 PM »
My local Gw store is having a getting started leauge for Age of Sigmar. First week was a leader and battleline, and today was gaming for week 2, where you added another unit of your choice and an endless spell.

Last week I had just the Warlock and the Stormfiends, and I didn't do so well lol.

I took this as a chance to start my second AoS army, Clan Skyre! I brought an Arch Warlock, Stormfiends, a unit of acolytes and (of course) the dreaded purple sun!

I played against Flesh Eater Courts, Thunderscorn, and Khorne Bloodbound. Lots of fun, and a great day of gaming. Next week I'm adding in a warp lightning Cannon! (As I already have a second battleline).

My little force! Arc Warlock Qork Leads his force from Hysh in the search of Warpstone! I'm really happy with how the force turned out, and they are fun to play on the table.

Deploying against flesh eaters, running a King on Zombie Dragon, Crypt Flayers and a Crypt Infernal Courtier, and the Gnashing Jaws. He ended up summoning two extra heros, but they were luckily consumed by the Purple Sun.

Mid game. Purple Sun is on the Hunt. The Stormfiends try to hold back the Dragon. I ended up finishing off the dragon with grenades from the Acolytes.

Game 2 vs Thunderscorn!

He charged me pretty quickly, but Thunderscorn don't do a lot of damage, and his dice Rolls were horrible. Poor little acolytes don't like being in combat.

Last turn of the game. Purple Sun saves the day by killin 2/3 Dragon Ogres from a squad, so my Arc Warlock and Stormfiend have to only fight two, not three Ogres at the end.

Game 3 vs Khorne Bloodbound! Lots of juggernauts. He gets the jump on me, and takes control of the Purple Sun at one point, which kills a stormfiend and three acolytes

He has a huge lead on objectives, by jumping on them so quickly. He uses his bloodtithe to summon a unit of Bloodletters to assassinate my Arc Warlock. Too bad they didn't see the Claw coming, and the Warlock kills them all. Game still ends 16-7pts in favour of the Bloodbound lol.

Anyway, I'll let you folks know how it goes next week!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 05:39:07 PM by Killersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Age of Sigmar Getting Started league report
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 11:18:36 PM »
First off, that Clan Skyre army looks absolutely balling, Squid ;D! I'm loving the little ratties! Thank you for a great battle report and the continued chronicle of your newest army. It's cool to see everyone getting started with either their first or additional armies. Reminds me that I need to get back to the painting table. ;)

Actually surprised by the variety of armies on display so far. Expected to see the Thunderscorn least of all, but that's cool that people are rocking a bit of everything to these events!
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 06:12:59 AM »
Thanks for sharing some great photos.  It looks as though you played on a number of characterful boards there, although cover seemed a bit too scarce for my tastes.  That Purple Sun of Xereus Shyish is the stand out model for me among that lot.  That is such an impressive looking spell.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 05:27:51 PM »
Love to see Skaven armies out there. Those Stormfiends look like a hoot to paint and play with. I'm definitely looking forward to following this thread with some interest. Thanks for sharing KS.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 08:38:37 PM »
First off, that Clan Skyre army looks absolutely balling, Squid ;D! I'm loving the little ratties! Thank you for a great battle report and the continued chronicle of your newest army. It's cool to see everyone getting started with either their first or additional armies. Reminds me that I need to get back to the painting table. ;)

Actually surprised by the variety of armies on display so far. Expected to see the Thunderscorn least of all, but that's cool that people are rocking a bit of everything to these events!

It's funny, the sign up list for the leauge has like 12 nighthaunts players , but none showed up. The other armies there (which I didn't play), was another flesh eaters courts player, a Nurgle player, and a Stormcast dude.

I'm really enjoying getting this force ready, and the models are a lot of fun to paint. I got this force all built and painted in two weeks lol.

I'm working right now on a warp lightning cannon as my next addition.

Thanks for sharing some great photos.  It looks as though you played on a number of characterful boards there, although cover seemed a bit too scarce for my tastes.  That Purple Sun of Xereus Shyish is the stand out model for me among that lot.  That is such an impressive looking spell.

The brown table had a pretty good amount of terrain for an AOS game, the larger terrain features created quite a few choke points, which were pretty annoying to work with!

The snow table was a little bit sparce, but workable. When you loose 2" climbing over fences, everything makes a difference.

The biggest thing which is useful is line of sight blocking terrain.

The purple sun was fun to use. It's a bit gimmicky, and I'd probably never play it in a game using points, but in the open play games we are playing, it's a fun addition. Actually, it did a lot more work than I was expecting!

Love to see Skaven armies out there. Those Stormfiends look like a hoot to paint and play with. I'm definitely looking forward to following this thread with some interest. Thanks for sharing KS.

They are a hoot! I'll update on the next games I play for sure. I might get in one or two more games this week, unless we just play shadespire in the evening.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 04:49:59 PM »
This is fantastic!  Amazing awesome stupendous paint job on those ratties Killersquid!  ;D

• Ancient
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 06:47:40 PM »
This is fantastic!  Amazing awesome stupendous paint job on those ratties Killersquid!  ;D

Thanks bud! I need to see some pictures of your overlords on the table.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

• Ancient
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 08:03:42 PM »
So, played another game for the leauge.

I was writing up a battle report, but my browser crashed and I lost all my text, and I don't want to re-write everything.

I played agaisnt Nighthaunts, and in the realm of light. I swapped out the Purple sun, for the soulsnare shackles, and the Purple Sun was a bit too crazy for this type of game. I'll bring it in if I play agaisnt a league guy who is abusing the game lol.

The mission this week is 'Gift from the Heavens', which can be found in the Core Rulebook, and/or the 2016 generals handbook.

In this game, it's very easy for the game to draw. If you can either A) Stop your opponent scoring for a turn, or B) steal their objective for a turn, it's very difficult to come back from.

In this game, my opponent stole my objecive turn 3, which put me 3pts down. But, I was able to steal his turn 5, which put me in the lead in the nick of time.

Biggest things, was my opponent fed me units single-file, so it was very easy for me to deal with. He should have been more agressive, has he can overwhelm me in combat, and doesn't care for my weapons rends.

I also played my first matched play game.

we played 1000pts, agaisnt Flesh Eaters Courts. We played 'relocating orb', but forgot to relocate the orb lol.

I took two endless spells in order to reach 1000pts. They didn't have much of an effect on the game, but I was able to use them to block board space and make choke points. Very handy when fighting a melee army.

This game had a lot of the halmarks of the previous one. His army was fairly elite, and he didn't coordinate his charges well and fed units into my peicemeal. He charged his Cryptghouls into my Stormfiends, expecting to wipe me out, but he ended up just charging into my missile weapons (very short) range, and the ghouls rapidly evaporated. Another fun thing was the warp lighting cannon one-shotting his Crypt Ghast Courtier. By the time his two units of Crypt Horrors made it into combat, it was peice meal, and without support.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 09:25:29 PM »
Awesome update Killersquid! I see you faced off against some newer players, I hope some good tips and advice were passed around during the event :). Would have loved to have seen that game against the Nighthaunt, beautifully painted army that player has. How much longer is the event?

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 05:33:39 AM »
That table has some very interesting terrain features.  Was that a regular shipwreck or some kind of ghost ship on the right?  The latter would have been very appropriate for playing against Nighthaunt.  The golden circular shrine type object in the centre of the table also stands out.  Was this meant to be anything in particular or just an unusual piece of terrain?

Congratulations on doing so well in your games.  I certainly think that Nighthaunt is an army to be pretty aggressive with, so I agree that your opponent made a mistake by not employing sufficient strength of force.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 05:34:46 AM by Irisado »

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

• Ancient
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2018, 08:15:16 AM »
Awesome update Killersquid! I see you faced off against some newer players, I hope some good tips and advice were passed around during the event :). Would have loved to have seen that game against the Nighthaunt, beautifully painted army that player has. How much longer is the event?

It's wasn't a super long game, so it would have been a short one to watch lol, he's been working on his Nighthaunts for this league too, and they look awesome. I know he's bought all the new named characters, so he might bring out one of those next.

That table has some very interesting terrain features.  Was that a regular shipwreck or some kind of ghost ship on the right?  The latter would have been very appropriate for playing against Nighthaunt.  The golden circular shrine type object in the centre of the table also stands out.  Was this meant to be anything in particular or just an unusual piece of terrain?

Congratulations on doing so well in your games.  I certainly think that Nighthaunt is an army to be pretty aggressive with, so I agree that your opponent made a mistake by not employing sufficient strength of force.

The terrain are all GW kits. The boat, is an Idoneth Deepkin terrain peice, which represents magical Aethersea shenanigans. The temple, is the Numinous Occulum. Both pieces have rules, but Often we don't use the special terrain rules. The Numinous Occulum makes great Line of Sight blocking terrain, so it's perfect for slamming in the middle of the table.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

• Ancient
« Reply #11 on: August 5, 2018, 09:50:46 PM »
Today was the gaming day for the next week of our AoS getting started League. The store has been calling it 'path to glory', but it's nothing like that rules set.

The new addition this time, was a Hero. So, I added a greater daemon. The Verminlord Warpseer. This guy was a bit misaligned in AoS1, as his command ability cost reinforment points to use, so it was terrible. Now it only costs a command point, so it's really good. His spell and abilities are also very nice too. Here is a link to his warscroll, from the GW site, so you can see what he can do. It's pretty obnoxious.

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Downloads//Warpseer-ENG.pdf

I couldn't get everything painted in time, mostly as yesterday instead of painting, I got swept up in AoS Champions fever, and spent hours playing that game. It's really, really fun.

Actually, I'll breifly recap two games I played for last weeks P2G, which I played durring the week for folks who missed out last sunday. Remember, the mission we played for that week was 'Gift from the Heavens', from the Core AoS book.

One was agaisnt Khorne, where he had a Bloodsecrator, unit of Bloodcrushers, unit of Bloodreavers, and a Khorgotroth.

Briefly, he moved up fast with the Khorgoroth, and Bloodcrshers. Soulsnare Shackles slowed down the Khorgoroth, but not the Bloodcrushers, who slammed into my Stormfiends, and killed a whole rat in one round of combat (which is a feat).

The biggest issue for me, is my comet came in on my far right flank, but his bloodcrushers blocked me from getting there, so I missed out on two turns of scoring, which put me behind by 5pts. Warplighting cannon one-shotted his Bloodsecrator T4, which enabled me to kill off all his Bloodreavers with combined shooting, melee and battleshock, allowing me to claim his objective and rake up double the points for a (admitibly), close win.

I though in turn 2, that the game was over, but in AoS, some missions you can really pull ahead T4/T5 if you commit and play to the mission, which I really enjoy. My army isn't a bully list, so I find early game objective grabbing really difficult, so I'm more of a late-game player.

Game 2, was agasint the store manager.

He had Stormcast, with a Stardrake, two units of Secutors, Lord-Arcanum, and his endless spell was the Everblaze Comet.

He went first, and between the Comet coming in, and the stardrake summoning metiors, he basically crippled my small force, and killed all my acolytes. The warp Lighting Cannon two shotted his Lord-Arcanum, which was fun, but the game was over pretty quickly. Although, my Arch Warlork surprisingly held his own agasint the stardrake for a couple of rounds of combat.

So, onto today's games. The mission this week is 'Battle for the Pass', from Generals Handbook 2018 and 2017. Last week playing on a 4x4.

This is a pretty simple mission. 4 objectives, one in each players territory, and two on the middle line in no-mans-land. Score at the end of your turn. Middle objectives are worth 2vp each, yours is worth 1vp, and your opponents is worth 4vps.

Round 1, was agaisnt Khorne.

He had two Slaughterpriests, A Juggernaught Lord, a unit of 20 BloodWarriors, and a unit of 9 Mighty Skullcrushers.

So, having played Khorne myself in the past, I knew the Blood Warriors, and Skullcrushers don't really have terribly great offensive power, but they are great bully units. They have multiple wounds, and a 4+ save, so they are very hard to budge.

My biggest concern, would be he'd just run across the table at me, clog 3/4 objectives and get so many points, that by the time I broke out, he'd be so far ahead I couldn't catch up. It was up to my new Verminlord to prove his worth.

T1

Khorne
He was surprisingly caustious. Worried about the cannon, he moved his characters up behind the ruin. Blood Warriors ran towards the objective on my right. but, he only scored the western objective with his heros.

Skyre
The Verminlord summoned a unit of 8 Giant Rats, I used to screen my force on my right flank. I fired a pot shot from the Warp-lighting Cannon at the Bloodwarriors, and the Verminlord cast his spell at them as well. The Arch Warlock cast the Soulsnare Shackles. My new rats captured the eastern objective.

Skyre 3vp Khorne 3vp

T2

Khorne
He creeped forwards a bit more. Juggernaughts behind the ruins with his heros. The Soulsnare shackles, and a bad prayer killed off one of the Slaughterpriests (lol). His bloodwarriors tried to charge my Rats, but his charge distance was havled (from my spell), so they failed.

Skyre
Summoned a unit of 11 Rats to contest the Western objective.

The Stormfiends and Verminlord went after the Bloodwarriors. The BloodWarriors killed one of the Stormfiends, but I started really doing telling damage to his unit, but not enough to take him off the objective.

Skyre 6vp Khorne 8vp

T3

Khorne
His Juggernaughts became slowed by the Shackles, so couldn't really go anywhere. His Juggernaught Lord charged the Giant Rats, and killed all but one. His blood Warriors dropped the last Stormfiend to one wound.

Skyre

I (sadly), failed to cast any spells. The last stormfiend dies from an overdose, and I summon a unit of 15 rats near the northern objective (which would be awesome to capture).

Warp-lighting Cannon shoots, and killed the Juggernaught lord (6 mortal wounds!). Acolytes grenades, Arch Warlock, and the Verminlord kill off the last of the Blood Warriors.

Skyre 9 Khorne 11

T4

Khorne
Using his blood Tithe, he summons a unit of Flesh Hounds, to go after my rats in his back line. Skullcrushers charge my Verminlord, Arch Warlock and Acolytes. They take a couple of wounds off my Verimlord, and kill a single Acolyte. I think I killed one Skullcrusher. His Slaughterpriest goes after my lone Giant Rat, and fails to kill it (ha ha). Also, the Flesh Hounds fail their charge.

Skyre
So, I summon more giant rats to block off the Skullcrushers from going after my home objective. Verminlod and Archwarlock retreat from combat. The Skullcrushers are spread out almost in a line across the table, so when he does go to attack the acolytes, only 2/8 would be able to attack, and would just tie him up a turn.

Warplighting Cannon finishes off the Slaughterpriest, and the lone rat captures the western objective. The rats who avoided the Fleshhounds capture my opponnents home objective.

Skyre 16 Khorne 14

Turn 5

Khorne

Giant Rats are charged, and crushed by the flesh hounds, and the Skullcrushers are forced to pile in and attack the Acolytes.

Skyre

I just keep holding onto the western objective and my home objective.

Final Score

Skyre 19 Khorne 17

Thoughts.

This game played out like the one I played agasint Khorne the previous week. Take the hit early on, and try to catch up in a later turn. I knew I had to capture his home objective for at least one turn to win this game.

The MVP this game was the Giant Rats. They didn't do a single wound the whole game, but blocked board space, and captured objectives. The ability to summon 3D6 rats anywhere with 13" of my verminlord for a CP is just insane value.

The warp lighting cannon did well too. It killed off two heros, and a score of Blood Warriors.

Game 2 vs Stormcast.

He had 300pts more than me, which was a bit nuts for p2g leauge play, so I took a couple extra CP and the Quicksilver swords to balance the game out.

He had

Stardrake, Lord Celestant on Dracoth, Tempestors, unit of 10 Vanguard, and a unit of 20 Liberators.

So, this would be a tough game.

T1

Stormcast
He advanced up his whole force. Vanguard popped right in my face, and shot a few shots into my Cannon.

Skyre
Well, I had a bunch of command points, so time to summon rats.

I summoned a unit of rats infront of the vanguard, and two units in rows to protect my right flank, using all my CP, but I recovered one with my Hysh artifact.

I summoned the Soulsnare Shackles in the middle of the board, toching his Stardrake, liberators and Vanguard. Verminlord Warpgaled his stardrake, doing 3 mortal wounds, and preventing it from flying.

In the rest of my turn, I just castled and shot up the Vanguard. I also charged the Giant Rats into them, and used my last CP to prevent them from running.

Skyre 1vp Stormcast 5vp

T2

Stormcast

His stardrake was grabbed by the shackles, taking 3 more mortal wounds. Meaning (with the spell), it was half move, can't run, half charge and can't fly (ha ha). Vanguard got stung by the shackles too.

His liberators and Dracoth riders slammed into my first row of giant rats (with obvious results). the Vanguard kill the rats they were fighting.

Skyre

Verminlord summons a unit of rats on my far right flank, ideally to sneak behind the stormcast and claim the eastern objective. Acolytes and arch warlock finish off the Vanguard (along with the Quicksilver swords), while the Warp Lighting Cannon gouges 6 wounds off the stardrake.

Verminlord and Stormfiends begin the fight agaisnt the liberators, which will be one hell of a slogg.

Skyre 1, Stormcast 9

T3

Stormcast

His stardrake is shackled again, meaning it can only move 4", so can't really do much. My opponent is exreamly frustrated his expensive dracoth units cannot charge my stormfiends, as another line of Giant Rats block them ha ha.

Skyre

Quicksilverswords and Soulsnare Shackles kill off the stardrake. I summon more rats into my opponents territory to capture his home objective. My acolytes and cannons support the combat with some shooting. The Giant Rats I summoned last turn swarm the eastern objective.

Skyre 11 Stormcast 13

T4
stormcast

my opponent is basically just stuck in combat, and being worn down, while my giant rats swarm the objectives.

Skyre

Though a variety of spells, shooting, and combat, I kill off the rest of the Stormcast Eternals.

Skyre 20 Stormcast 13

Thoughts.

This game really couldn't have gone better for me. The fact his Stardrake was Immobolized the 2nd and 3rd turn of the game kept it out of the fight. Also, getting my Verminlord into the middle of the board, meant he could summon giant rats onto any of the objectives. My opponents 'all or nothing' approach to his list meant early game pressure, but he compleatly abandoned his home objective, and had no way to disengade and deal with my Giant Rats.

Again, the Warp Lighting Cannon was an all-star and the Soulsnare Shackles were a game winner for me.

I'm also at the point now, where I've committed to brining my Skyre to a tournament in Ottawa on the 18th, so I have to finish painting 40 giant rats, my verminlord, crew for my second warplighting cannon, two warplock engineers, a motar team, 3 stormfiends and the quicksilver swords in two weeks :P

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: August 5, 2018, 11:10:05 PM »
Great Battle Report, Killersquid! Not a small achievement conquering that Stormcast army with such Skaven genius! ;D I'm glad you're liking Clan Skyre. If I hadn't decided on Nighthaunt and Stormcasts for my other armies, your battle reports would have tempted me :). Though I wouldn't look forward to putting together the metal models, lol :P.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 6, 2018, 05:54:43 AM »
Congratulations on your victories Killersquid :).  It is always particularly pleasing for me to see the Stormcast Eternals crushed, especially by a rats :D.  That was a a very satisfying outcome in the second game and, once again, goes to show that powerful elite armies can struggle with hordes if they rely on a quick breakthrough and fail to achieve it.  You used your spells very well in that game.  The battle against the Khorne force was much closer, but your victory was helped by the fact that your oppponent was way too cautious in my opinion.

The tables looked really well laid out again and the missions certainly added an extra dimension to the gamplay.  Both of these resulted in some very interesting games being played out.

• Ancient
« Reply #14 on: August 6, 2018, 10:54:47 AM »
Thanks folks, I'm glad you enjoyed the reports! I might get another game or two in next week, so I'll post if I do so.

Great Battle Report, Killersquid! Not a small achievement conquering that Stormcast army with such Skaven genius! ;D I'm glad you're liking Clan Skyre. If I hadn't decided on Nighthaunt and Stormcasts for my other armies, your battle reports would have tempted me :). Though I wouldn't look forward to putting together the metal models, lol :P.

Thanks bud. Stormcasts are a great army, and are famously tough to kill. But, like any elite army can have a lot of trouble controlling the board. I will say, that if that Stardrake was able to move and attack, it would have been a different game.

I've managed to get lucky, and only have one pewter model in my whole army, as I converted the pewter models I need. The biggest issue was needing to order round bases for the Stormfiends, who have not been re-boxed yet for AoS.

Congratulations on your victories Killersquid :).  It is always particularly pleasing for me to see the Stormcast Eternals crushed, especially by a rats :D.  That was a a very satisfying outcome in the second game and, once again, goes to show that powerful elite armies can struggle with hordes if they rely on a quick breakthrough and fail to achieve it.  You used your spells very well in that game.  The battle against the Khorne force was much closer, but your victory was helped by the fact that your oppponent was way too cautious in my opinion.

The tables looked really well laid out again and the missions certainly added an extra dimension to the gamplay.  Both of these resulted in some very interesting games being played out.

The table layout was a disadvantage for both players, which I think was good. Created bottlenecks, and blocked LoS for shooting, which I think helps make a more exciting game.

The funny thing, is that I don't really have a horde army, but by spending a command point per turn, I can summon 3d6 giant rats for free with the Verminlord, and place them within 13" of him. It's pretty insane. they don't accomplish anything themselves, as their stats are garbage, but creating a 12 rat unit out of thin air can be quite a nuisance. I have 45 giant rat models made, and I had summoned all of them in that last game lol.

The negative is that I don't have any CP left for Insane Bravery to auto-pass battleshock tests, and my guys bravery is compleate amphetamine parrot across the board.

He really needed to kill the Verminlord ASAP, but neither players had the tools to do so outside of melee.

AoS has excellent mission design, which is something I wish 40k would adopt, makes the games very engaging, and each mission challenges how you build your army and play.

Looking into my battle record book, I am at 7 wins, and 4 losses with Skyre so far.

Two losses agaisnt Sylvaneth, one against Stormcast, and one against Khorne.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

• Ancient
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2018, 09:47:18 PM »
So, small update. I've been busy painting the army up. As I type this, the wash on the last of the models bases is drying, and all I need to do is work on the display board.

Here is my Verminlord! You've only seen his back so far.

And some of my Giant Rats, for summoning.

So, played my first matched play game against my friend Mike, on Friday night. He was playing his Stormcasts (I've played him once before and he crushed me).

I brought a 1500pt Skaven Force (clan Skyre Allegiance), from Realm of Light.

Arch Warlock (Cunning Creature Command trait, and Aetherquartz Broach from Hyish).
Walock Engineer
Walock Engineer
Allied Verminlord Warpseer

Stormfiends
5 Skyre Acolytes
5 Skyre Acolytes
Plauge Wind Mortar

Warp Lighting Cannon
Warp Lighting Cannon

Soulsnare Shackles.

Stormcast Eternals

Lord-Celestant on Stardrake
Lord-Exorcist
Astreia Solbright

Two units of 5 Sequitors
One unit of 10 Sequitors

Everblaze Comet
Dais Arcanum

So, the last time I played against Mike, the combined mortal wound output of the Everblaze Comet, and the Stardrakes Starfall ability crippled me T1. So, I need to attempt to stop that.

This isn't going to be much of a report, as the game was over at the end of Turn 2 ha ha.

We played 'Better Part of Valour'. This is a really cool mission, where you can only claim Victory points by razing objectives, but you get more points for how long you controlled the objective before you burn it.

So, Mike went first. He successfully summoned the Dais Arcanum for his Lord-Exorcist, but (importantly), my Arch Warlock dispelled him trying to cast the Everblaze Comet.

He then burned all his objectives are moved towards me, with the intent of stealing my objectives and burning them. His stardrakes falling comets damaged both my cannons, my Arch Warlock and one of my Engineers.

If you don't know, Sequitors are extreamly potent in melee, mostly because they can use thier power to boost either their sheilds, or their weapons. If they get into my units, I loose units.

So, my first priotiry was to kill his wizards. No wizards, no comet.

I plan to burn my left and right objectives, and try to hold the center for a couple of turns, and then burn it. If I can do that, I win the game.

Needless to say, I wouldn't need to worry about that. One Warplighting Cannon shoots into the Lord-Exorcist, Bampf! 6 mortal wounds, and he evaporates into a puff of warpsmoke. Alright I think, good roll, that went better than I thought. Second Cannon shoots Astreia Solbright, and it also does 6 mortal wounds, a tailwhip from the Verminlord finishes her off. Holyamphetamine parrot, Both Mike and I are amazed, and those two cannons, pretty much, nutrealized around 400pts of Mike's Army.

I win the Initiative for Battleround 2, and the Cannons blast into the Stardrake, knocking him down to eight wounds, Stormfiends and random shooting and spells,  wipes out his 10 man sequitor unit.

At this point, Mike and I agree that the game is done. The Warp Lighting Cannons are gimmicky, but holy smokes, when they work, they work.

Tomorrow morning, I have my first 2000pt practice game agaisnt someone else in the club. I look forward to running my full force for the first time.

Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 05:19:58 AM »
That was definitely short and very sweet for you.  The Stormcast army that your opponent fields sounds more gimmicky than the Warp Ligntning Cannons to me.  Two models which cost more or less 400 points between them strikes me as rather excessive and bad reminder of the days of Herohammer from Fantasy.  Maybe that's how Stormcast Eternals operate?  Either way, it just makes me dislike Stormcast armies all the more.

• Ancient
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 06:22:10 AM »
That was definitely short and very sweet for you.  The Stormcast army that your opponent fields sounds more gimmicky than the Warp Ligntning Cannons to me.  Two models which cost more or less 400 points between them strikes me as rather excessive and bad reminder of the days of Herohammer from Fantasy.  Maybe that's how Stormcast Eternals operate?  Either way, it just makes me dislike Stormcast armies all the more.

He mostly took those models, as he liked them. His army, like mine is a bit new. He would have had a much stronger list if those points were spent on more infantry, or Calvary.

Stormcast Eternals have a very flexible battletome, and have a lot of ways to build your army. They are actually a very cool force, both on the tabletop, and in the lore. I think you should give them a chance  :)
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 01:10:51 PM »
Nice game, Squid, the stormcast fall yet again to the Vermintide ;). Can't fault the stormcast player for taking what he likes, I agree that it is only a sliver of what kind of list the stormhost can field. Would have liked to have seen how the Astreia Solbright could have performed, as I am looking at the Lord Arcanum on Celestine Dracolines in some brainstormed list.

Excited to hear that you have your first 2000 point game coming up! Cannot wait to see what you bring to the table ;D.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 01:40:12 PM »
Nicely done Killersquid!  Congrats on tearing those Stormies a new one!  ;D

Have you played many games against the sancrosant chamber Stormcast?  I’m quite probably going to get the starter box ones and I’d love to know how they perform.