News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Locator Beacon List - 1500pts/1750pts  (Read 989 times)

Offline Pershore

• You are in error, no-one is screaming
Locator Beacon List - 1500pts/1750pts
« on: September 10, 2011, 06:37:06 AM »
Hi all,

I have an eldar army and a tyranid army, but I keep eyeing up the power armour and thinking it looks pretty nice.  I made up the following list and played (the 1500pt version) borrowing a friend's models.  It was pretty fun but I would appreciate views on how it could be improved:

1500pts
Librarian, Terminator Armour, Combi-Melta, Gate of Infinity & Null Zone
5 Terminators, Cyclone Missile Launcher
Ironclad Dreadnaught, Heavy Flamer, Drop Pod, Locator Beacon
Ironclad Dreadnaught, Heavy Flamer, Drop Pod, Locator Beacon
Tactical Squad, 5 extra mans, Meltagun, Multi-Melta, Combi-Melta, Drop Pod, Locator Beacon
Tactical Squad, 5 extra mans, Meltagun, Missile Launcher, Combi-Melta, Rhino
Scout Squad, Sniper Rifles, Missile Launcher
Scout Bike Squad, 4 extra bikes, Combi-Melta, Locator Beacon, 3 Grenade Launchers, Melta Bombs

1750pts
add Vanguard Veterans, Jump Packs, Relic blade, Power Weapon, Lightning Claw, Storm Shield

So the idea is that the Librarian joins the terminators, the bikes infiltrate and then scout move forwards.  Then on turn 1 I drop both the dreadnaughts and Gate the terminator squad up to join the bikes.  That quite a lot of firepower in my opponent's face on turn 1!  Hopefully the beacons keep the librarian able to move about the battlefield quite freely.  He can take the terminators to wherever they're needed and/or he can go and join a tactical squad and teleport them to an objective.  At 1750 the Vets can drop down near a beacon and assault right away too.

What do you think?

Offline Azash76

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Locator Beacon List - 1500pts/1750pts
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 05:21:29 AM »
If your gating the terminators up to the enemy (great way to get them there) the cyclone missile launcher is kind of a third wheel.

I would do one of two things.

1. Switch the squad for assaulty terminators give your libby more longevity running 3 TH/SS in the squad

or

2. Lose the cyclone in favor of an assault cannon. Your already going to be up close and personal so the extra range is moot. Might as well go for the extra shots of the assault cannon.

Offline Pershore

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 07:50:51 AM »
If your gating the terminators up to the enemy (great way to get them there) the cyclone missile launcher is kind of a third wheel.

I would do one of two things.

1. Switch the squad for assaulty terminators give your libby more longevity running 3 TH/SS in the squad

or

2. Lose the cyclone in favor of an assault cannon. Your already going to be up close and personal so the extra range is moot. Might as well go for the extra shots of the assault cannon.
Thanks for the comments! 

1. Yes, I have been umming and ahhing over terminators vs. assault terminators and I really can't decide which I like best.  I would really like some Storm Shields in the unit, but then only the Librarian does anything on the turn they teleport (with his combi-melta).  One thing that occured was taking TH/SS terminators and then adding Vulkan instead of the Vanguard Vets at 1750.  That would make the terminator squad truly brutal and also upgrade all those meltas and flamers I have.

2.  I was looking at the assault cannon and I can't really see what advantages it has over the cyclone, even at close range.  I am thinking that if I am shooting at a vehicle, I would prefer 2 kraks to 4 assault cannon shots to accompany the Librarian's melta shot.  If I am shooting at infantry then I would prefer 2 frags and 2 storm bolter shots to 4 assault cannon shots most of the time, particularly against infantry bunched up because the bikes or dreads just knocked them out of a vehicle.  I guess the assault cannon is better against heavy infantry.

Offline Azash76

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 01:12:13 PM »
Oh just another thought if your running scout bikes and snipers try adding the cluster mines.

Given the working on the rules for the cluster mines you can use them to defend your snipers. Nominate the area of terrain for the mines and then deploy your snipers to that. Since the mines only trigger off of a unit "moving" into the terrain your snipers won't trip the mines. Snipers make appealing targets for assault units and anyone assaulting would then take 2d6 attacks. While they would not be the end all be all against marines it would help against eldar assault units, deldar assault units, orks, and nids.

Obviously not the only way you could use them but one that would dove tail nicely with your current army build.

Offline Pershore

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 06:46:24 PM »
Oh just another thought if your running scout bikes and snipers try adding the cluster mines.

Given the working on the rules for the cluster mines you can use them to defend your snipers. Nominate the area of terrain for the mines and then deploy your snipers to that. Since the mines only trigger off of a unit "moving" into the terrain your snipers won't trip the mines. Snipers make appealing targets for assault units and anyone assaulting would then take 2d6 attacks. While they would not be the end all be all against marines it would help against eldar assault units, deldar assault units, orks, and nids.

Obviously not the only way you could use them but one that would dove tail nicely with your current army build.

Wow, that's a pretty good idea!  But am I reading this right?  I name the piece of terrain after the terrain has been placed, but this is before we have deployed or even picked table edges right?  So I don't even know whether the terrain piece I want will be available for the scouts to hide in.  It would be pretty nice though...

So I played a game with this list today.  It didn't go so well.  I dropped the alpha strike and the vehicle damage table hated me.  I managed 4 damage results and even with the +1 for AP1 my best result was a weapon destroyed.  after that less than stellar beginning it was all down hill.  After the game, my opponent (who knows a lot about space marines) and I had a play about with the basic concept and came up with this at 1750pts, which I really like:

Librarian, terminator armour, combi-melta, gate of infinity, null zone
Terminators, cyclone missile launcher, chainfist
Ironclad dreadnaught, heavy flamer, drop pod, locator beacon
Ironclad dreadnaught, heavy flamer, drop pod, locator beacon
Scout squad, camo cloaks, missile launcher, sniper rifles
Tactical squad, 5 extra men, melta gun, multi-melta, combi-melta, rhino
Tactical squad, 5 extra men, melta gun, missile launcher, combi-melta
Scout bike squad, combi-melta, melta bombs, locator beacon
Land raider
Thunderfire cannon, drop pod
1750pts exactly

So now both my tactical squads start on the board with one rocking a land raider.  The thunderfire tech marine is reinforcing a ruin to give the scouts a 2+ cover save and himself a 3+ and he's dropping a third (empty) drop pod so I still get both dreadnaughts on turn 1.  That's quite a lot more long range fire support.  The scout bike squad is pared back to basics, which is a shame because I really like the grenade launchers, but what can you do.  Also, no amazing vanguard vets squad, but they were really expensive for 5 guys in power armour...

Offline Azash76

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 08:02:32 PM »
Don't let bad rolling discourage your list. Run a few games so you can get a good baseline idea of it's performance. Big thing with Space Marines is that bad rolling effects SM armies the worst. We do not have as many attacks, shooting or assaulting. Also in comparison to most armies we have relatively fewer models on the table. So when you have a bad dice day you really feel it!

Never been a fan of infantry mounted MM's and on Rhino mounted tac squads they are useless.  Missile Launchers far more versatile and are free as well. I know everyone likes to say "but you make this super awesome bunker with a 24" zone of ultimate death that surrounds it!". That bunker has an AV of 11 and if you can't move. By comparison a Missile launcher needs a 3 to get a glancing hit on that bunker from 48" away. In short your marines will be bunkerless before anyone ever comes within range of that MM. If you move you can't use it so they still have range on you.

Also don't underestimate just the plain jane meltagun when it's rhino mounted. Since you can move your Rhino 12" get out and shoot 12" and you can disembark 2.5(ish)" from the rhino you can actually really reach out and touch someone with that Meltagun if you need to. Since it's assault none of that movement actually effects your ability to shoot. If you want to stay bunkered up you can still extend the range of the Melta gun by the Rhino's 6" movement.

Basic issue is mechanized infantry (rhino mounted tac squads) that can combat squad depend heavily on Range and mobility the MM hurts both.