News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: hex rifle  (Read 4760 times)

Offline bigal

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
hex rifle
« on: December 10, 2011, 07:29:49 PM »
I've armed my wrack acothyst with a hex rifle and in a recent game against  blood angels I shot and wounded one of his HQ characters. he took the characteristc test and failed it (he rolled a 6 when needed 5 or lower) but refused to remove the model from play as per the weapon rule in our codex stating that he only lost one life and still had 4 wounds left. Is this correct and am I mis interpreting the rule on the hex rifle or do you lose the model regardless of how many wounds you have if you fail the test?

Offline Ends_Mouth

• By using the steaming piles of their own dead...
Re: hex rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 09:27:57 PM »
He should have removed the model. Did you show him the rule?

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 10:57:35 PM »
Hex rifle wounds that fail the characteristic test follow Instant Death rules, but negate Eternal Warrior and other such rules.

In short, it sounds like your opponent was being a bit of a sore loser...

Hope that helps.

So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline bigal

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 04:02:19 AM »
Many thanks to you both for that. I did show him the rule but he was adamant that he only lost one life. I think he was shocked because he failed his save of +2 by rolling a 1 and then rolled a 6 when he needed 5 or less. I didn't bother to argue as I was going to win anyway but just wanted clarification for euture reference.

Offline Seshiru

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 06:00:59 PM »
I thought Eternal Warrior didn't protect you from the Hex Rifle?

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 07:05:18 PM »
That's what faitherun said.
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline AlexIsFancy

• "Fear is the mind killer"
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 07:53:40 PM »
Yeah, since the Hexrifle specifically says "removed from play" versus "inflicts ID", EW doesn't protect the target.

Offline The Fire Antz

• Archon in the making
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 03:50:50 AM »
Find a new friend....he's sounds like a sore loser. So he had 4 wounds left, who'd he have, Mephiston?

LOL, why is he so worried anyway, he's the one with the broken codex......

Offline bomatic3

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 03:16:38 PM »
i find that after i show them the rule, if they still wont remove model you can always roll up the codex and hit them repeatidly in the head with it until the agree.
this rule is one of the few gw rules that is very very clear and concise.

Offline Seshiru

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 03:31:46 PM »
Strange that we don't see more folks putting Hex Rifles in their lists over the Liquifiers (which are also wonderful)

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 04:20:06 PM »
Strange that we don't see more folks putting Hex Rifles in their lists over the Liquifiers (which are also wonderful)

Because it's 1 a long range weapon, 2 only a single wound weapon, 3 only really usefull against multiwound model units.

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline AlexIsFancy

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 08:46:55 PM »
And even then, they have to fail a save and a toughness test. That's alot rolls you have to make.

Offline bigal

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 02:13:12 PM »
I armed the Haemy with the hex rifle specifically to deal with characters with multiple wounds! The tactic worked well throughout the tourney I played in although I got lucky on a few of the roles
 I wasn't the only one who had problems with this guy Apparently he was questioning anything that didn't go his way.

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 02:30:18 PM »
Don't forget it is a pinning weapon, and can hurt MCs quite nicely. Against IG etc it is down right deadly. I like to try and pop Mabro with it  8)

On objective based missions, I will have a hamey sitting in the back field contesting an objective while I go all out aggressive to destroy them. Often he is ignored, and can score a wound or two.
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline AlexIsFancy

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 02:35:28 PM »
It would be nice for taking out a raging Trygon or EW model when it pulls off. However, I am just unconvinced of its usefulness. With only 1 shot per turn, its a 66% chance to hit, 50% to wound, the model has to fail their save (likely 2+/3+) and then fail a wounds test (not a T test, my bad). Like I said, alot of rolls. But if it works for you, go for it.

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2011, 04:08:51 PM »
If they are willing to devote an entire units fire to kill one guy, then great! Furthermore, in my experience, it takes a serious amount of firepower to dislodge him from 3+ ruins, plus FnP. If they ignore him, then he almost always scores a few wounds/kills, and every now and then I can get a pen. For a lousy 75 pts, it is quite well spent in my opinion
Flawless logic.

Offline Grumpy Kwi

• Archite
  • Ancient
  • Ask me for the DE True Type Font
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 01:31:08 PM »
I am a little slow but this thread started out as a rules question then ended up as a tactics thread - I think we are done here.

Additional tactical use on the hex rifle can started in the tactics board.