News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!  (Read 63377 times)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!
« Reply #220 on: March 18, 2017, 07:43:00 PM »
A while ago I sort of had the idea that it would be a neat idea to do various animalistic-themed things for my exodite HQs. I've got my Stag-like Thaegr and Raodruin, and my avian Myrdolaith.

This guy started off as another Stag-like thing, but evolved into something slightly more Pantherinae.

Meet Sardroath, Beastborn, Sunstalker, Son of Kurnous. Counts-as Jetbike Autarch with Laser Lance.

The exodite worlds of Selesti are populated by many clans and tribes, all under the gaze of Raodruin the High Lord of Selesti. Many tribes perished when Nurgle reigned over their lands, and those that survived were changed irreparably. Each were afflicted with differing conditions as the whims of the Plaguefather manifested over their lands, and each of these afflictions has had a marked effect on their culture.

The Selestini of the Godwoods were protected from direct manifestation by the gnarled boughs of naturally occurring wraithbone that populate their forest. However, they were continually assaulted by legions of plaguebearers, and launched ambushes from their protected glades in response. Their warriors have long learnt the value of stealth and infiltration, as well as the protective power of the adherants of the Cult of Morai Heg.

The Selestini of the Sandspires fled upwards into the mountainous spires of sandstone that riddle their lands. The Blightlord sent his Plague Drones to harvest them, to which they responded with great flocks of feathered warriors to meet them in aerial combat. Over the years, reverence of these ancient aerial combatants has become more and more ingrained into the Sandspires culture. Avian modifications are widespread in the warriors of the Sandspires.

The Selestini of the Dreaming Wastes felt the fertile plains of their lands turn to corrosive acid beneath their very feet. Those who survived were forced to replace their legs with durable wraithbone in order to wade through the acidic swamps to take the battle to the enemy. Over time, these modifications became more and more extreme as they diverged from standard Eldar physiology. In the present day, warriors of the Dreaming Wastes ritually replace their lower limbs with great 4-legged constructs that afford them phenomenal speed and toughness.

---------------------------------------------

I've wanted to do a creepy skeletal-like alien exodite centaur for a while now :) finally got the pieces to do it :) it's a mishmash of three Spite Revenants (legs mainly, although the torso flipped on its side formed the basis of the front part of the centaur legs), and some Kurnoth Hunter shoulder pads.

Thinking about the mechanics of how it'd walk is really neat. With such big claws on the front hands it'd have to knuckle-walk like a gorilla at low speeds, but would change at speed to something more feline :) nice and alien and weird

The inspiration for this came from a quote from the ever-excellent IRON SLEET and this utterly spectaculr model:

I'm paraphrasing here, but the accompanying fluff stated 'cut off for 10,000 years...just how far from human would a Tech Priest go' which is something that's really stuck in my mind :)

I'd love to take that idea further with Eldar, but for now this dude is my effort so far!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 07:45:20 PM by Ynneadwraith »
Check out my Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders :)

Eldar, Exodites, Corsairs and Croneworlders!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #221 on: March 18, 2017, 11:05:15 PM »
looks great and fits in well wit h the rest of your army :)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #222 on: March 19, 2017, 08:10:39 AM »
Wow! Fantastic conversion. Damn Ynnead you are going super saiyan with these conversions! Truly next level.... damn that lance though! The lance has to be my favorite detail...  Holy crap is this thing awesome. The paint job is great too... love all the budding red leaves. Killer! Keep it up man you are rocking!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #223 on: March 19, 2017, 09:30:45 AM »
Thanks guys! I really want to do a couple of squads of Reaver Jetbikes done in this style as sort of an accompanying force to this guy, but it'd be cripplingly expensive if I'm getting whole kits (£60 for a squad of 3!) so I'll have to wait for some to pop up on bits sites...

All your terrain Cav has got me itching to make some of my own. I really want to do a sort of exodite forest with bone-coloured trees and red leaves (with some red/brown tufts of static grass). I've been keeping an eye out on eBay for citadel woods going cheap as they've got the perfect gnarled look I'd want :)

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #224 on: March 20, 2017, 04:18:28 AM »
That....thing?...is amazing Ynnead! It's absolutely up there with your most disturbing work so far. Just proper beslubbered up. Like it should be in a Guillermo Del Toro film or something. The paint work really suits the model as well. A unit of these guys would look sick!

Good luck finding the Citadel Wood set. I've painted a few of them and they're great. An utter pig to get them to stick together once painted, but a great set nevertheless. They'd suit your exodite theme fantastically.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #225 on: March 20, 2017, 03:51:31 PM »
Now that's a compliment! If anything I've done is compared in any way to Guillermo Del Toro's creepy masterpieces I'm flattered! :)

I've actually managed to snag a woods set off eBay :) it's only two of them, but it was only £12 so it's a decent start :)

Post Merge: March 20, 2017, 06:04:28 PM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Oh, just a quick update of absolutely nothing happening at all! :S

I've got my Carroburg Crimson, but it's actually inbetween a red and a purple in colour. Would work really nicely to shade a red or purple cloak of some sort, but not quite right for my Yncarne. I knew I should have ordered Bloodletter at the same time! :S
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 06:04:28 PM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #226 on: April 5, 2017, 06:28:25 PM »
G'day mate! What an amazing body of work. Your paintings skill, colour choices, free hand and imagination are all on par and a stella army is the result,( stole that word from Dog of War). Your posts are going to make browsing a real treat. I'm sure your inspiring more that just myself to refine their skills. Well done and looking forward to seeing more..... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #227 on: April 6, 2017, 08:38:54 AM »
Thanks man! I'm really glad you like them :) very flattered they've been any sort of inspiration :)

I do have some more coming soon, although not quite at the same pace as during the winter months! :S

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #228 on: April 11, 2017, 09:40:47 AM »
Well, as the weather warms my other hobbies will begin to creep up again so the 40k updates might be slightly less prolific. However, there's a monthly painting competition over on DakkaDakka with a new theme each month. April's theme is 'Primal' so how could I resist?

Here's an early peek:

It's a digitigrade exodite Howling Banshee :) one of Myrdolaith's people

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #229 on: April 11, 2017, 12:59:57 PM »
Looking good bud. Perfect matchup with the bits. Can't wait to see some paint on him. Killer!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #230 on: April 11, 2017, 04:13:03 PM »
Thanks man! They'll be painted at least before the end of the month as that's when the competition closes so for once I've got a deadline!

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #231 on: April 11, 2017, 05:09:04 PM »
lovin the mashup of sylvaneth parts.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #232 on: April 11, 2017, 06:47:29 PM »
After viewing your past posts and getting to know your style, I can see the final results already, ynnkadwraith... Niiiiice!
40K should be your top hobby, mate. Let the others lag. 

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #233 on: April 12, 2017, 05:07:33 AM »
Thanks guys :) don't worry, 40k will definitely still get some love. It's all about balance so you never go without something to do ;)

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #234 on: April 12, 2017, 02:27:59 PM »
Man that model looks pretty damn creepy! Love it!
Love the idea of the monthly painting comp as well, I went on Dakka a few times but I hate the layout and the skin that they use on the forum. Makes my eyes hurt if I look at it too long!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #235 on: April 12, 2017, 07:22:36 PM »
Thanks dude! 'Pretty damn creepy' is what I aim for ;)

Yeah dakka's pretty jarring on the old eyes, but they run some really fun stuff like the painting comps :) some really good project logs over there too, makes it worth the temporary blindness from the font colour ;)

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #236 on: April 14, 2017, 07:01:24 PM »
The dysjunction sent colossal tremours through the very bedrock of Commorragh. Towers crumbled as ripples cascaded through reality. Gaping tooth-lined chasms opened up beneath the ground, spewing forth great legions of daemons into the stricken city. Even Ynneadlidh, far far beneath the beseiged streets was in danger. Gnawing gnashing eyeless daemons flooded its pitch-black tunnels, skittering out from the cracks in the fabric of the realm. The haemonculi were no strangers to military forays, but never before in their history had they come close to anything approaching mobilisation.

Vast legions of wracks poured forth into the tunnels, their odd sidling gait belying the surgical precision with which they fought. Hulking beasts of foreign flesh rampaged through the myriad winding corridors, but still the daemonic horde pressed onwards. For the first time in milennia, the twisted denizens of low Commorragh felt the prickle of fear on the back of their necks. Half-formed experiments were unleashed, some wildly effective, others disappointingly incapable.

Malkarta hurriedly adjusted the final few synaptic bridges on her latest prototypes, their forms motionless aside from the steady undulation of their breathing. She nodded to the wych-clone beside her, who hesitated slightly before walking forth into the beast's embrace. Heavy muscles clamped tightly around her skull, and sinuous neural needles pierced the back of her neck painfully, worming their way into her motor cortices. Sharply, her senses bloomed across the creature, overlaying its primitive standby consciousness. She tested a brief arm movement and the creature mirrored it, a slight twitchiness marring the otherwise perfect maneuver. "Good enough," Malkarta barked, "hub-bound tunnel 8. Now.". The fearsome creature's anti-grav mechanisms whirred softly into life and the pair stalked out through the subterranean depths.

I've been wanting to do one of these for aaages :) ever since I saw this utterly stunning conversion that I've shamelessly cribbed ;)

If I'm perfectly honest, I prefer the other guy's one but Wraith tails are pretty hard to come by :S still happy though!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 07:24:47 PM by Ynneadwraith »

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #237 on: April 15, 2017, 07:04:06 AM »
I like yours better, far more menacing :)

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #238 on: April 15, 2017, 07:34:07 AM »
Hell yeah... I remember seeing this conversion a few years back. I think you did a great job Ynnead. Top-notch modelling as ever. Can't wait to see some paint on there! Killer stuff, keep it up!

Offline Ynneadwraith

• Corsair
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #239 on: April 15, 2017, 08:28:04 AM »
Thanks! I'm glad i've done it justice :)

Oddly for such a large model i can't wait to paint it :) i think it having quite a basic colour scheme of skintones and a couple of bronze/brass metallics covered in blood spatter makes it simpler than most big gribblies :)

Plus, i can't wait to try out liquid effects for the (soon to be) blood filled vials all over it :)