News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Different human skin tones  (Read 17209 times)

Offline draco84oz

Different human skin tones
« on: August 18, 2007, 12:41:00 AM »
I'm fairly adept at painting caucasian skin tones now, through a series of layers starting at dark flesh, and working my way up to elf flesh.

But, simple question, how do you paint african (ie negro) skin tones? Or asian, meditteranian or middle eastern for that matter?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 12:44:54 AM by draco84oz »
"The only stupid question is the one you already know the answer to." - Ron Hall

40K - Omega Guard Space Marines, 1500 pts, 17/7/9

Offline Eressëanèr

• +++ I see lead people. +++
Re: Different human skin tones
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 07:22:44 AM »
Here is a tutorial on the subject...

http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/310

"Our path is dangerous but necessary."

Offline Chuckles, The Space Marine Clown

• Can't Touch This; Captain; Swarmlord - Tyranid Sweatshop Operator; 40KO's Official WMD; "No American orphans, please"
  • Ancient
  • I kill, maim and torture because I care
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 07:37:02 AM »
The forum rules are fair and just. *twitch*

Offline Ailaros

• Why do the poutiest guys get the biggest guns?
    • my webpage
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 11:33:35 AM »
my soldiers have been called arab looking before. Basically, what I do is apply a very watered down coat of a dark brown to fill in the cracks, and then, if I so desire, I put a few patches of bleached bone on whatever I want to be highlighted. Then, I paint tanned flesh straight on it, avoiding the cracks that have the brown in them. The result looks like this (make sure to look at the pictures down the thread a bit).

may not be as complex, but I think it looks fine, and is sure a lot quicker.

Visit my My Battle Report Archive.
Winner of the 2007 "Best Writer of Articles", "Strategic Excellence", and "Imperial Guard Poster of the Year" awards.

Offline Two Blades as One, Samurai Ichirou

• Old men start wars; Young boys die in them.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 02:28:06 PM »
I used scorched earth for my negro scout and tactical marine, bronzed flesh for my asian sergeants and a mix of elf flesh and bronzed flesh for my mediteranian (greek) tactical marines.
Still I lay cold, my soul seeks light / my eyes are tired; my heart's last fight
Around my shell of wood and cloth / trickle sound of wound and loss.
Broken voices of tears and cry's / sorrow and love for a Nation's son's life.
Mother and Father alone in thought. / Of the bravery and pain in the battle we fought.
We move slowly we three welcomed home. / A parade of silence, hands and flags wave
Above our bodies, they gather as on, / Along this highway of heroes for two seconds of light.

Offline Rookyboy

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 01:02:00 PM »
long time no post for me but her goes

this skin tone i came up with is pretty useful for dark eldar because theres a bit of purple in the wash so basically i creates a kind of evil skin tone you could probably use different colours in the washes like pinks or blues to get different tones

not sure exactly but im pretty sure i started off with dwarf skin and washed it with a mix of tan flesh a purple (not sure which one Vallejo game colour) smokey ink and lots of water   

Offline Skeeve

• Brushmaster 5000
    • My painting Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 08:02:35 PM »
I do recommend reading the leading article at "Lost in the warp" web site here

http://www.lostinthewarp.com/

After reading it I really want to try Reaper triads.

Offline sojung

• For the Motherland!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 01:44:36 AM »
I agree with the Rookyboy's tip on purple wash, it does create a slightly pale 'glow' for a very pale skin.

sj

Offline Cpt. Pain

• Captain
  • Down but not out!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 10:34:33 AM »
for my black guys I use dark flesh, and for my taned guys (catachans) I used a layering of elf, dwarf and bronzed flesh. Both colours work well, and I like the look that you get, and they arn't complicated. Of course, I only hav to paint the faces on my guard troops now besause I paint the hand like gloves.

PSN: Leman Vanquisher

Offline zerut92

• Kill the mutant.Burn the witch.Purge the unclean.
skin colors
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 01:20:47 PM »
hey, im extremally new to 40k and any form of a modeling hobby, so i picked up my AoBR marines and then looked for a chapter to play, while on the GW site Pedro Kantor caught my eye, so i chose Crimson Fists

ok, so with names like Pedro Kantor and Captian Cortez ive decided to make my marines an all-mexican army, since most of them have helms it isnt a probelm but some dont and i want to know wat i should do to get a brownish skin color paint

PS, im at work now but once i get home ill load up some pics of my first tac and termie squad that ive (mostly) finished painting,

Offline Skeeve

• Brushmaster 5000
    • My painting Blog
Re: skin colors
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 04:28:49 PM »
Well, Unless you paint 54mm and above all 28 mm miniatures belong to three races :)- blacks, whites and unnaturals. I assume you basically look for white with heavy tan. I would start with dark flesh and then highlight it with something like grave earth or 1:1 grave earth:elf flesh.
Then I would probably glaze some deep shadow with very dilute scab red and leave it at that. Depending on how it looks I might pick up some sticking out elements like nose, cheek-bones and the forehead with 1:1 dwarf flesh:bleach bone with a tiny bit of green to afset general pinkiness on GW flesh tones

Offline jingling001

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 02:09:26 AM »
Hi, I'm new to 40Konline, but not to miniature gaming/painting.  Good on you for putting brush to mini!

Since you're not painting *lots* of faces, you can probably afford to take a bit of time getting them right!

Before answering "How to paint Mexican skin-tones?", I'd first think about how you paint "regular" skin tones.  Personally, I use 3-4 layers/shades when painting faces.  Don't be afraid to try mixing your paints a bit - you'll need to thin the paint anyway for doing faces, so it isn't much of an extension to mix in an extra color.

I start with a mid-tone, then wash liberally with a dark gray-brown.  Most GW browns are too red for this - I use a 1:1 mix of Scorched Brown and black.  Make sure the wash is thin enough that it doesn't completely black out the face - you want it to dry so that the raised features are just a little darker than before you applied the wash.
After the wash is dry, I go back and reapply the original mid-tone, painting from the top down and trying to leave the shadowed surfaces dark.  Next, I use a highlight shade (add a bit of elf flesh/light brown/tan to the base skin color) and drybrush that onto the face, again applying brushstrokes from the top of the head down towards the body.  Try to avoid creating any strong dividing lines at this step.
Finally, I apply a light glaze (same as a wash, except you don't drown the whole area, just paint very well-thinned paint over the bits you want to add color to) to the face, using a shade just a little darker than the base color.  This takes the shine off the highlighting and ties the face color together.

For Mexican/Hispanic skin tones, I would consider using Bronzed Flesh mixed with either Dark Flesh or Snakebite Leather as the base color.  Since you're new to the hobby, you may be limited by your existing paint selection.  In that case, start with whatever basic flesh color you have, and mix in a *little* brown until you think the tone looks right.

Best advice is to try something and see how it turns out.  Paint the face first, so you aren't investing time in other parts of the model.  If you don't like how your first attempt turns out, strip the paint off with Simple Green and have another go!

Good luck.

Offline Aislinn

• "If it bleeds, we can kill it"
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2009, 05:31:59 PM »
I would suggest a Reddish brown colour... to achieve as your goal.  So use various mixes of tanned flesh, red gore, and dwarf flesh to work with.  Basically trial and error, to find the colour you are striving for... don't listen to anyone else because you'll never be satisfied with the results.  You need to find your own paint mixture to satisfied.
  "Their song shall die first!"