News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: X-Wing miniatures  (Read 9111 times)

Offline Ludo

• Why, you ask. Why not?
  • Armies: Marines, Flesh Tearers, Dark Eldar, Guard, Tau
X-Wing miniatures
« on: June 7, 2013, 09:54:43 PM »
I've recently purchased some models for this game but I've found that some of them are impossible to find outside of ebay.  The Y-wing and the Tie Interceptor are selling for two or three times as much as they retail for.  The y-wing with it's 360 degree firing arc makes some sense to me.  Does anyone know why the Tie Interceptor is so expensive? Does it have some nasty combo I am missing?

I played my first game today using a rebel force:
100 points
Luke Skywalker with Proton torpedoes and Squad Leader
A named pilot level 6 x-wing (I don't remember his name but he can give someone else his focus token)
Red squadron pilot x-wing with K5-R5 (reacquire target lock if you roll a dodge)
Prototype Pilot in an A-wing

I faced
Darth Vader
The named lvl 9 tie interceptor
three tie fighter academy pilots

I used my proton torpedoes to take out the Tie Interceptor on turn 2 and generally controlled the game well.  Lost my A wing and the shield on all three x-wings.  Had vader down to 1 hull point and couldn't finish him.  Rolled some excellent dodge rolls.  He was able to use his speed and free action to finish me off.  The game was great fun and only took about an hour including an explanation of the rules.
Smurf Hero Extrodinaire

Offline Shas'La robo

• For the Greater GOOD!!... and the Emperor
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Tau
Re: X-Wing miniatures
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 11:01:21 PM »
Played a few games using a mates starter set, and now I'm seriously considering buying 1 of everything, the game is that awesome.

Quite simple rules, but the blind (can't think of a better word atm) movement makes guessing/judging where your opponent will go, one of the most important skills in the game.

Does anyone know why the Tie Interceptor is so expensive? Does it have some nasty combo I am missing?

Its got good stats, 3 attack, evade and hull with a bunch of good actions to choose from.

robo
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 11:40:38 PM by Shas'La robo »
hug cover, shoot the big ones, and cripple the fast ones. if those cant be achieved, kill em all.  8)

Offline Evil_Toast

• Lazerous Penguin
  • All glory to the Hypnotoad .
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 09:30:22 AM »
The game is awesome, with sprinklings of awesome, wrapped in a layer of awesome. Pity stock is so hard to come by though >:(.
Does anyone know why the Tie Interceptor is so expensive? Does it have some nasty combo I am missing?

Its got good stats, 3 attack, evade and hull with a bunch of good actions to choose from.

robo

To elaborate on the above. It's stat's are identical to the TIE Fighter, except for +1 Attack and the Boost action. The +1 Attack alone is worth it, apart from the Slave-1, no other Empire ship has 3 Attacks base. Now, think of some of the things you can do with Boost. Take the Daredevil upgrade on your Sabre Squadron pilot, you can now do a 180 degree turn ( 1 Hard Turn + 1 Hard Turn(Action). Try it, remember to follow the rules. Finish your move, then declare action. Don't just put the templates together like my friend did*). It's like a K turn without the stress, that can be done using 1 speed maneuvers. Think about it, your Sabre gets to do it first, and you get to watch with a smirk on your face as your opponent sends Wedge hurtling past you, ready to get some laser loving up the tailpipe. Add Vader+Squad Leader/Howlrunner for some shooting help.

Need to compare movement dials, but it does have a healthy amount of green maneuvers and kicks the TIE Fighter and Advanced in the crotch in that department. 

The named pilots are damn good. Soontir say's FU to stress, Turr Phennir gets to pew pew you and roll out of harms way (not so hot against Han obviously), Fell gets to make an attack even though he's been smoked already.

* Pics because this is just worth explaining.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 09:32:34 AM by Evil_Toast »
Models painted 2011 . 2010 in brackets .
Infantry : 0 (32)
Large Infantry : 0 (9) 
Bikes/Jetbikes : 3 (0)
Walkers/MC's : 0 (5)
Tanks : 0 (4)
Large Tanks : 0 (0)

Last unit painted : 3 Eldar Jetbikes
Screw it, I give up.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 12:41:45 PM »
Table Top recently played a game if people are interested in seeing the mechanics live.
GEEK WEEK - Star Wars X-Wing: Seth Green, Clare Grant, and Mike Lamond Join Wil on TableTop SE2E09
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Shas'La robo

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 05:54:50 PM »
Apparently that isn't entirely accurate, quite a few rules mistakes/omissions according to one of the x-wing groups on fb, but whatever.

Interceptor/A-wing movement dials are soooo pretty, A-wing has about 7? green maneuvers.

robo
hug cover, shoot the big ones, and cripple the fast ones. if those cant be achieved, kill em all.  8)

Offline Evil_Toast

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 01:57:13 AM »

Interceptor/A-wing movement dials are soooo pretty, A-wing has about 7? green maneuvers.

robo

Better, it has 8!

The rest of Wave 2 (Slave, Falcon, Interceptor) can be found HERE.

And something useful for everyone, a squadron builder that tracks wins/losses.
Or this one that has all the cards loaded.

Screw it, I give up.

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 06:15:33 AM »
Been looking at this for a while as a quick pick up game, watching the video (And allowing for mistakes) it seems one of those easy to learn/hard to master type of things.

Not got it yet but I've always been a huge sucker for anything involving B-Wings  8) (Ah the days of Star Wars Galaxies)... So soon...  ;D

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline Shas'La robo

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 06:56:37 AM »
Been looking at this for a while as a quick pick up game, watching the video (And allowing for mistakes) it seems one of those easy to learn/hard to master type of things.

This.

Takes about 10-20mins at max to learn the quick start rules and maybe another 30mins to pretty comprehensively understand the full rules.

Main draw back I see with the game is the upgrade cards can be hard to get as you only get certain cards in certain packs, and who wants to buy a ship they don't want just for a card...

robo

Offline Evil_Toast

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 07:22:06 AM »
Owning the card is pretty much group dependent. Photocopies etc I'm sure will be allowed in most, if not all, casual environments. But if your playing at an FFG event, they can (and do) enforce the use of original cards.

Not got it yet but I've always been a huge sucker for anything involving B-Wings  8) (Ah the days of Star Wars Galaxies)... So soon...  ;D

Why not? Get it, get it now! And get the Star Wars sound board app and make realistic "Pew Pew", "Whoosh" and "[palpatine]Gooooood[/palpatine]"sounds whilst playing! It's great, trust me!

Sadly, only next month (hopefully...) we get the B-Wing, TIE Bomber, Lamda Shuttle and whatever the hell the HWK-290 is..

Screw it, I give up.

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 07:35:16 AM »
Owning the card is pretty much group dependent. Photocopies etc I'm sure will be allowed in most, if not all, casual environments. But if your playing at an FFG event, they can (and do) enforce the use of original cards.

It's almost as if they've found a way to make people buy models they don't want to go with the stuff they do want... Lets hope GW never figures that one out as well.  :o

Get it, get it now!!

I will get it now, these are not the droids I'm looking for...

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline Evil_Toast

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 07:47:20 AM »

If I may make a suggestion, buying 2 core sets is the best value for money around. 2 X-Wings and 4 TIE Fighters puts you at a cosy 50pt level, and is a brilliant foundation to build your fleets from. And then you'll have enough dice too! (3 of each very quickly becomes a nuisance...) plus a handy second set of maneuver and range templates.   

Then join the rest of us clamoring for stock to become available, it's like throwing cookies into an orphanage most times >:(.

Screw it, I give up.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 01:05:20 AM »
I started playing this wonderful game a few weeks back. The play style is very easy and makes a lot of sense. I've been a 40k and fantasy player for along time and with the way they have turned out have been pushing me away for awhile. X-wing has pre-painted models that are well made and all the styff you need to play each one faction. It can be played on a 3x3 table and doesn't get complicated. Fun for sure. If you haven't tryied it out, y MIGHT AUTTA. And may the force be with you, light or dark.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 01:28:48 AM »
I got into it about two months ago.  Took some winnings from a local tournament to buy the starter set and Imperial Aces.  I love the gameplay and the models, though I do repaint them.

It's kind of funny.  The game has been out for two years, but my LGS was only able to get stock back in April of this year.  I'm old fashioned in that I don't buy a lot of stuff online, preferring to support the game store I have been going to for 16 years.  Now to just get some money to buy more plastic crack miniatures.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 10:09:03 PM »
I picked up the imperial aces tie set, tie advanced, interceptor and the decimator today. Can't wait to play tomorrow night. It's funny how I went dark side for this but happy too. Slave one is next on the agenda and the shuttle.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 10:23:18 PM »
Those are all great purchases!  You may want to look at picking up a Star Viper or two as well.  Yeah, it is for Scum and Villany, but it gives you Autothrusters, which are gold on the Interceptors.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 10:24:08 PM »
Whoa now, playing Imperial does not automatically make them the Dark Side. The Rebels are the ones you have to watch out for. Very shifty individuals.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 12:21:12 AM »
Very true.  Had quite the debate with someone on the FFG boards how the cell in Star Wars: Rebels really made the rebellion look like what they are.  A group of terrorists!  I mean, how can you look at their bombing a TIE Fighter on Empire Day as anything but a terrorist attack.
I knew I had fans!!!