News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Which secondard army has been the most fun to paint?  (Read 2285 times)

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Which secondard army has been the most fun to paint?
« on: December 6, 2017, 10:49:44 PM »
Which of your alternative armies have you most enjoyed paint/hobby, could even be your AoS army :)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Re: Which secondard army has been the most fun to paint?
« Reply #1 on: December 7, 2017, 12:18:34 AM »
I did enjoy painting my Bretonnians when I was still into playing Fantasy, but the most enjoyment I've gotten out of painting something that isn't my Dark Angels would have to go to my Harlequins.  They turned out so well, and was a nice combination of vibrant and dark colours.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Don't Panic; It's Open-Source!
    • The Place Where I Put Stuff Online
« Reply #2 on: December 7, 2017, 01:14:15 AM »
I've really enjoyed modelling my Deathwatch, simply because literally every model is a kitbash/conversion of some kind. Painting them is less fun (black is kind of... meh to paint for me), but putting them together has been fun.

In terms of most fun to paint, my Wood Elves were pretty fun. I opted for an winter theme, so it's all white/ivory and blue, with lots of wood/leather/stone accents.  Eldar were also fun, but I made myself a little crosseyed painting every single bump as a gem.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #3 on: December 7, 2017, 07:05:22 AM »
lol... GML and I are like mirror universe versions of each other... Eldar are my first love and I've only just recently begun both other armies (a year ago) but my Dark Angels in their original colors are my faves hands down. Getting to the checkers (see the Harlie parallel GML?) was really a breath of fresh air painting wise. Plus doing the jet black armor is a lot of fun and really quick. Also weathering the models was really great as my Eldar are super clean.

After painting only Eldar for like 15 years its been great... especially with all the great heraldry.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #4 on: December 7, 2017, 07:26:02 AM »
I had fun painting my Harlequins. They were a secondary army, which became my primary army.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 03:29:52 AM »
Vampire counts
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 07:06:21 AM »
Really enjoying the Nids at the moment. My other three armies have a lot of flat areas, (Eldar, Space Wolves, Primaris). There is so much going on with the Nids, sculpting wise. Almost the entire model can be based, washed and dried.

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 08:00:24 AM »
That's a tough question to answer. I tend to paint because models interest me, or an idea...I don't tend to paint armies as such, other than my Eldar army (which I haven't added to in yonks...). I have painted a fair amount of Death Guard, Orks, Tyranids, some Harlequins and also Skaven for Fantasy. Each has their own merits ...

...but for pure fun? Skaven are an easy win. They have some wonderfully characterful models, fun details and a good result can be achieved just by using the base/wash/drybrush technique.

Is there a better model than the Doomwheel out there? I don't think so!
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline malicant

• "It is not blood that binds us..."
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 06:36:56 AM »
I have found orks to be very fun to paint.  I've never actually owned an Ork army, but I have painted a unit for a mate.  It was just a simple unit of boyz, but I had to add a few conversions.  That's what's awesome about them, you can do just about anything and make it work.

Offline bca11

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 09:54:37 PM »
I have found orks to be very fun to paint.  I've never actually owned an Ork army, but I have painted a unit for a mate.  It was just a simple unit of boyz, but I had to add a few conversions.  That's what's awesome about them, you can do just about anything and make it work.

I too have enjoyed painting orks. With my Eldar I feel like I have to be super detailed and precise, but orks look good a bit grungy. Basecoat, color in the big areas, and drybrush for highlights and you can churn out solid looking units at a fast pace.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #10 on: January 2, 2018, 07:53:17 PM »
I'm enjoying Adeptus Mechanicus at the moment. Army wise it has a nice mix of box edges, curvy coats/robes, but then there is the artistic flair on their ranger rifles. A good variety unlike a normal Space Marine army.