News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters  (Read 330740 times)

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Eldar Corsairs, Pre-Heresy Dark Angels + World Eaters
« Reply #1700 on: February 11, 2018, 07:23:28 AM »
@Looshkin- Thanks bud. Glad you dig the AoS guys. The paints were so clutch in this one... Stegadon/Thousand Sons/Sotek with a little bit of Temple Guard. Then Celestra with a Coelia Greenshade and then just cleaned it up on the heads and feathers. Super clutch paints. About the Hunter yeah, I totally hear you. I'm going to pick out some red gems and the second stage highlights should do a lot. Also I'm gonna get ambitious with some of the transfer work as well which will help to give definition and pop to the model... but dont worry I'm still SUPER early in this model. It has been challenging though to say the least.... its not often that I strip a model TWICE! Anyway thanks as always bud always appreciate your feedback... I'll keep an eye out for areas of color on the models as I proceed.

@Saim-Dann- Thanks so much man. Really glad you are digging the Hunter. I really think its going to look sharp when I'm finished.... particularly with the second hunter waiting in the wings... and alongside the Hornets and a Wave Serpent I've got on the back burner.  I was planning on phasing out the Hornets... but when I saw how cool they looked all together on the table I might have to reconsider.

Also thanks about the Gryphon Riders. I'm really happy with how they came out. Also yeah... it really is a great feeling working with the clients. The client who I painted up all the Triumvirates + Magnus & Mortarion was really excited and seeing them featured on the FLG website and FB page was really a treat.

Anyway thanks as always bud!
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1701 on: February 14, 2018, 03:06:40 PM »
Hey guys so I finished up the first of my Nightwing Interceptor aces for my newly renamed Umbral Watchers corsairs! I may go in and add some more transfers or some color (touch up the transfers with a little bit of black paint in the negative spaces) if I get some inspiration but I think I'm done.

I gotta say... I know its super simplistic but I'm really, really happy with how they came out. The Alaitoc rune (or Umbral Blade as I'm calling it) is the thing I'm in love with the most. The new Eldar transfers are AMAZING!!! in the Crimson Hunter kit. I couldn't be more happy.

Also... a sneak peak for you guys... let me know if you can identify it!

Anyway hope you guys like it. Let me know!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 03:43:09 PM by Cavalier »

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1702 on: February 14, 2018, 06:13:17 PM »
With a bit better lighting and the addition of those transfer runes...man, I gotta say that I absolutely love it. There is just enough contrast to make the thing pop a little, while the darkness overall gives absolutely the right effect without being too...morose.

Super clean painting, expert use of spot colours and the transfers bring it to another level entirely. Magic work Cav, just magic.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #1703 on: February 14, 2018, 07:34:02 PM »
Yriel's spear! Seems to be missing a bit near the head?

What do I win?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 07:38:23 PM by Partninja »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1704 on: February 14, 2018, 10:55:24 PM »
Niiiiice!
This piece looks so sleek, mate. Is that a smiley face under the wing in the first photo? Nice touch putting the Hornets in. Your right, they do look Micky Mouse together. Your highlighting, in particular, is impressive. Am up to this stage with mine and keep putting it off.

Thanks for sharing, Cavalier. You've kicked another goal... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1705 on: February 15, 2018, 06:33:35 AM »
@Looshkin- Oh man, thanks so much Loosh I'm super glad you like it. Painting it wasn't too tough, but what I worried about was the over all concept, which I was really hoping wouldn't look boring, so I'm super stoked you like. Thanks so much for the mention of the transfers because I agonized for over an hour on which ones to use and where to place them. So thanks as always bud, your feedback is invaluable. Thanks!

@Partninja- You nailed it bud! For your prize, you are next in commission queue! lol, Jason just sent out the Avatar via priority mail yesterday. Stay tuned you are up next!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

@Saim-Dann- What happened to your name bud!? I want the original back! lol Really glad you like it. The highlighting wasn't too bad... I painted this one up in red originally and as long as you take the time to sort of make sure the highlights aren't wobbly its not too bad. The only tough part can be on the underside of the "dorsal" wings cause its just such a weird angle. Also lol... no thats not a smiley face, its actually a red moon, Kurnous' the Hunter's moon glyph if I'm not mistaken. Anyway thanks bud I'm really glad you like it. Cheers Pointy Ears!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1706 on: February 15, 2018, 07:20:47 AM »
G'day, Cavalier!
The reason for the name change will be explained and put to vote on my next post, mate... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1707 on: February 19, 2018, 03:06:20 PM »
@Everybody- Hey guys! So the revamp is complete. I just finished up my second Crimson Hunter the other day and I'm ready to return to the tabletop. I've got a very solid list worked out and I think these two flying aces were just what I was missing. The next game I'm playing will be at 1250 as my brother and I work our way up to a full 2k engagement in our campaign.

r

Sadly aside from a lone model I'm working on the Eldar will be taking a backseat after this. Its all World Eaters from here on out. I did some great work on them over the weekend and today and will have an update for you soon on that end. I'm in love with a couple of the models in particular so I hope you guys like them too. 

Anyway until then enjoy and I'll check in with you guys soon!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1708 on: February 19, 2018, 03:50:28 PM »
Niiiiice, Cavalier!
Looking forward to seeing them in action. Your models amongst your bro's terrain is always a hoot... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline dog_of_war

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Orks, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar
« Reply #1709 on: February 20, 2018, 01:46:16 PM »
Looking sleek and sexy Cav. Those wings are just begging for some airbrush or free hand work. I'd love to see you take on a design or pattern, even if it's just a stencil. Not that I'd have any luck accomplishing that, but you are a way better artist than I am.

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #1710 on: February 21, 2018, 10:09:44 AM »
Cav those flyers are looking lush!
So dark and imposing yet still keeping that sleek look that the Eldar vehicles have. Really great job.
I look forward to the battle report!
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1711 on: February 21, 2018, 02:34:46 PM »
Besides 2 Characters my Eldar are done for now... my World Eaters are now center stage...

Priority one is finishing the 18 Berserkers riding in the Storm Eagle... got 5 more to do (and a little touch up on these guys) and then all I have is one tank, a single character and about 12 Cultists and I'm done with my first non-Eldar army

The photos are kinda crap... but you guys get a decent idea of what they look like. Really happy with how this army is coming out but I'm already thinking of alternative list ideas. I feel like I might need to forgo the Terminators eventually and get some Maulerfiends into the mix... just to take pressure off the Storm Eagle. But we'll see...

Anyway thanks for stopping by guys. Hope you like the pics!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1712 on: February 21, 2018, 04:38:58 PM »
Oh, my!
They are an imposing force, Cavalier.The first shot is my favorite. The storm eagle flying away seconds after offloading its payload. The character hiding the stand to give the scene a sense of realism... Niiiiice!

You've outdone yourself with that power fist as well, mate. Looks like that blokes been busy, and his sword? ;). The weather-worn chain swords give off that feeling that those opponents that weren't slain from the initial attack, would die of infection anyway.

Another goal kicked. You must have been proud as punch when laying these boys out for their photo shoot... Be well!   
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:23:10 PM by Saim-Dann »

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #1713 on: February 21, 2018, 05:49:31 PM »
Outstanding work on the World Eaters once again.  They still give off that Flash Gordon vibe which I really like and the level of detail and the quality of the shading are superb.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1714 on: February 22, 2018, 06:48:39 AM »
@Everybody- Hey guys! I forgot to copy in my feedback to you all. Sorry about that! I’ve just been scattered brained with how busy I’ve been… thanks for all your feedback! I've got more stuff on the way as I scramble to finish my own projects before my commissions arrive in the mail

@Saim-Dann- Thanks bud. Thanks on the terrain, I’ll make sure to pass it on to my brother. Yeah the terrain does look cool in that picture. Speaking of which we have a number of pieces we need to finish up before our next game!

Really glad you dig the Berzerkers. Really glad you dig the Champion in that squad. I must have remodeled that guy 4 times before I got him right. Yeah that powerfist is funny isn’t it? It really looks like he’s been bashing away on a titan or something lol. Glad you dig the swords too, been thinking about adding some gore effects but it might be a bit much over 20 guys…. Gotta have a think on that.

Also glad you dig the cinematic shot. Its always a miracle when I can cram that many models in a photo and have it turn out good. Anyway thanks as always Dann, your feedback is always encouraging!

@Dog of War- Hey DoW! Thanks bud… yeah I thought about doing something like that… I did a bunch of different things and ended up stripping both these models twice… in the end I think I’m just gonna stick to the stealth theme and keep it all black. If I added some free-hand or stencil work or something it just wouldn’t have the same stealthy appearance. But I know what you are saying for sure… but I just gotta stick to theme. Anyway thanks bud… can’t wait to see more of your DE!

@Auric’s Pride- Thanks as always AP. I’m really glad you like them. Can’t wait to get them on the tabletop. In theory they should prove a real asset… but we shall see. Thanks as always bud!

@Irisado- Hey Irisado thanks a lot. Really glad you dig the shading. The trick is to go with all very dark versions of brown, red and gold and hit it all with Nuln Oil… glad its not TOO dark though and it still gives off that Flash Gordon type vibe… because at the end of the day thats just how I like my 40k. Anyway thanks Irisado always glad to get your feedback

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1715 on: February 24, 2018, 05:47:18 PM »

Eldar vs. Imperial Guard
Battle Report 1250pts

Cyclops Cluster Campaign
Mission 2: Ambush!

After ferociously battering aside an Eldar raiding force after making planetfall on planet Moab, Imperial forces pressed forward toward a sector of wilderness where Ordo Xenos intelligence believed the Eldar forces were intent on seizing.

Yet to reach their objective, Imperial forces had to move through an extremely rugged expanse of terrain with but a single navigable passage for the heavy Imperial armor. Repeated fly-overs indicated the area was devoid of any Xenos presence... yet as Imperial forces boldly pressed on through that narrow corridor the Eldar emerged as if from nowhere launching another lightning raid, executing a perfect ambush.

Prepared for such an occurrence the evenly matched forces engaged in vicious combat as the Eldar tried to exert their control over the sector and Imperial forces fought to break through and seize ground.

So hey there guys! Back again with Mission 2: Ambush in our Cyclops Cluster campaign. In this mission we played a modified version of the Ambsuh mission from the Narrative Missions in the rule book. The parameters were simple... the IG needed to have 1/3 of their forces in the Eldar deployment zone by the end of the game. If they did they won the game.

So it was a sort of horseshoe style deployment for the Eldar while the IG deployed in the space in between. Attacker was granted turn 1 after concealed deployment.

So here are the lists!

-Eldar-

-Alaitoc Patrol-

Farseer- Shroud Shift of Alanssair, Guide, Doom
Spirit Seer- Conceal/Reveal, Protect/Jinx
Rangers x5
Swooping Hawks x5
Dark Reapers x10
Crimson Hunter Exarch
Crimson Hunter Exarch

-Saim Hann Outrider-
Warlock- Conceal/Reveal
Windriders x3- Lasers x3
Windriders x3- Lasers x3
Shining Spears x5

Imperial Guard

Company Commander- Power Maul
Compand Commander- Power Maul
Company Command Squad x3 Plasma
Company Command Squad x3 Melta
Infantry Squad x10
Chimera- Heavy Flamers x2
Infantry Squad x10
Chimera- Heavy Flamers x2
Veterans x10- Plasma x3
Veterans x10- Plasma x3
Veterans x10- Plasma x3
Leman Russ Punisher- Heavy Bolters x2, Lascannon
Leman Russ Executioner- Plasma Cannons x2, Lascannon
Manticore- Heavy Bolter

Turn 1

Eldar- So the Eldar launched forth from their concealed position. The Shining Spears hurtled towards the Manticore screened by a squad of Infantry. Supported by a unit of Swooping Hawks only 24" back the unleashed blasting them with a combination of shuriken and las fire wiping out the infantry squad and inflicting two wounds on the Manticore. The Jetbikes re-equiped with their scatter lasers layed into the front rank of Guardsmen screening the two Leman Russ and wiped them out. Meanwhile the Crimson Hunters began their weaving path across the board, hanging back as far as possible while keeping the tanks in their sights, combining fire with the Dark Reapers to eliminate the Leman Russ Punisher. I closed out the turn by using the Saim-Hann stratagem to charge after assault with the Shining Spears and destroyed the Manticore. Wow what a turn! The Crimson Hunters took so much pressure of the Reapers it was amazing. The Shining Spears landing a first turn charge was so nice. I'm loving this combination!

Imperial Guard- The IG finding themselves besieged on all sides quickly re-positioned to deal with the closest threats. Disembarking from their Chimera one squad of Infantry plus a Company Command squad got out on the left handside to deal with the Swooping Hawks which had "Fire and Faded" out of LOS. Poor dice rolls saw the Chimera, the Company Command Squad with Meltas and the Infantry Squad only 4 of the Hawks (leaving the Exarch) and the Warlock who was in the vicinity. The Executioner targeted a unit of Jetbikes but only killed 1! Then everything else focused on the Shining Spears killing only 1! A combination of poor dice rolls, and red hot saves on my part saw the IG stymied to a large degree.

TURN 2

Eldar- The Eldar sensed blood in the water and moved in swift and deadly for the kill. The Crimson Hunters teamed up destroyed the Executioner. Then the Shining Spears,  Dark Reapers and Swooping Hawk Exarch combined fire and combat power to wipe out 2 Veteran Squads and an Infantry Squad in a ferocious storm of death. This was an absolutely brutal counter attack by the Eldar and effectively ended the game.

Imperial Guard- After the brutality of Eldar turn 2 the surviving IG were able to all load up into their 2 Chimeras and for narrative sake we said fled back the way they came into the wilderness.

Conclusion-

After a humiliating defeat by the recently arrived Imperial forces, the Eldar returned the favor, annihilating their opponents and maintaining a hold over the sector of wilderness where the mysterious wraithbone constructs lay hidden.

While the mission parameters were not really conducive to a balanced game, it fit the narrative really well and made for a good time. The Shining Spears in particular were given a HUGE leg up in this mission, but it was still impressive nonetheless.

Next time the mission will definitely favor the IG. But beyond that  I was still thrilled with the performance of the Crimson Hunters which alongside the Shining Spears served as MVP's.

Throughout the game I just kept thinking about the difference between the Hornets and the Crimson Hunters and it made me really glad I spent the time and money to get them on the tabletop.

While a very one sided game it did feel like  we captured the narrative really well, which is good for a campaign.

Despite that I'm still 1 - 2 against my brother in 8th edition. He's utterly smashed me in the other 2 games almost tabling me, so I'm glad I was able to regain a little pride. Anyway hope you guys enjoy. Stay tuned got some fun stuff on the way... including Partninja's commission! Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 05:54:01 PM by Cavalier »

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #1716 on: February 24, 2018, 06:23:32 PM »
Nice read, Cavalier!
Magic photos, mate, and the narrative was spot on. What a difference codex Vs codex makes, hey?. Am liking what the Saim-Hann can do. Must be a hoot to live with a fellow gamer, (Brother or not), who's as creative as yourself. Thanks for sharing, mate... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #1717 on: February 25, 2018, 03:03:27 AM »
Cool report Cav. It really was such a mismatched turn 1, nothing ever had a chance of going right for the IG. Brutally efficient killing on your part and I guess (narratively) the shock and fury of the Eldar assault panicked the IG forcing them to miss with their weaponry.

I like the idea for the scenario and love that the force you took was fitting for the task (plus some Dark Reapers. The fastest and stealthiest of all Eldar units...well they must be, they're on every battlefield in the galaxy at the moment!!). It's nice to see a fluffy scenario with fluffy forces to match it.

Well done on the win, I look forward to seeing the next instalment.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #1718 on: February 25, 2018, 07:07:42 PM »
Wow! Brutal to say the least. I have a question about the detachments. When taking 2, can you use both the Alotic and Saim Hann abilities for the specific detachments? It's unclear to me from the reading I've done. I was supposed to go play in a tournament today but life interceded. Beautiful work on the models as alwa y s, I'm trying to get back into mine. Still anticipating the DE release, even have a paint scheme for them after all these years.TTFN
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #1719 on: February 26, 2018, 07:12:58 AM »
@Saim-Dann- Thanks so much bud. Really glad you dug the narrative. Oh yeah codex vs. codex is where it at. Yeah the Saim-Hann wing is AMAZING. I can’t believe Eldar players aren’t more excited about having those laser bikes back. Mine are here to stay that for damn sure. While the game was a total mis-match due to deployment I really felt I had the right tools again. For too many games I’ve had to get so much of my army into that 24” bubble where so many opponents can just annihlate you. The presence of the bikes, crimson hunters and reapers are that definitive back field long range shooting that I need. Plus at bigger points I’ll have screening units to protect and the Farseer to intercept anything that tries to get too close. Yeah its been a blast recently with my brother. He’s really going full steam ahead with the hobby. He’s got 2 projects that should give his army a boost… a pair of assassins and another secret project which I dont know about (i’m scared!) lol… Anyway thanks as always for your great feedback Dan, it always encourages me. Thanks bud.

@Looshkin- Hey Loosh, thanks man. Yeah I felt super bad about the mismatch on Turn 1. I’d seen those breakthrough missions before and it seemed it’d be fun… but when I think back on it… it was during 7th ed and it was like Marines defending, Tyranids attacking and thus it was a slower foot based army ambushing a more mobile Marine force. So yeah bad call, but lesson learned. At least it was atmospheric. Glad you like the force composition, even the Reapers. I know everyone hates seeing them, but I’ve been rocking steady with them since 7th edition and I’ve gotten my rear end handed to me by the IG so hard recently, they had to be in. But in terms of fluff I do have a Serpent for them on the way. May even make it a Serpent dedicated purely to them. Also have the crucial bits to do Corsair versions of them, so eventually the newer sculpts will be phased out with only Corsair + 3rd skullheads remaining (I saved up all my Corsair missile launchers and have the perfect heads for them, just need a Guardian kit + DE legs to finish the job). Anyway glad you liked it Loosh. Stay tuned cause my brother is gonna have a big leg up in the next mission just to make it fair. Then it’ll be more balanced going forward as we ramp up to 2k points… and the arrival of a new force. Anyway thanks man always look forward to your feedback, its truly appreciated.

@Dread- Hey bud glad you liked the brutality! lol About the detachments. Yeah the traits dont over lap. But you can have a detachment from each CW in your overall army. Each detachment can be whatever CW you want, so long as they all have the proper keywords. So obviously you cant have Illic Nightspear in any Iyanden detachment, Y’riel in a Saim-Hann, or the Visarch in an Ulthwe detachment. The only thing is you really do have to represent them with some kind of color difference or something very obvious like “All my Jetbikes are Saim-Hann”. Anyway hope that helps. Looking forward to seeing that DE stuff too. Let me know the scheme! Are you going blue like your old Void Raven conversion? Always loved that. Anyway thanks bud and take care.

@Everybody- Well guys I'm working on Partninja's awesome commission right now... I've done something similar in the past but there are some subtle differences that are causing me to fall in love with this particular model... I've got it setup behind my all my Eldar hero models on my painting desk and I'm loving it! Photos soon.

I've got a small Eldar project thats almost reached completion ... another Triumvirate of Y'nnead, then Eldrad, a new Illic Nightspear and Njall Stormcaller on commission. So stay tuned for that. Really looking forward to getting in another game soon. Might go up to the GW for a game to try and play someone new. Anyway hope you guys enjoy and stay tuned and talk soon
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 07:15:35 AM by Cavalier »