News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dealing with Magnus....  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
Dealing with Magnus....
« on: February 19, 2017, 06:43:32 AM »
Hey guys, thought I would put this here rather than in a particular forum as I am looking for general tactics rather than army specific.
I am playing against a Thousand Sons player in a couple of weeks who in his last game used Magnus and 3 flying Daemon princes.
I know that Psychically none of my usual armies will be able to compete and I am likely to have to just play the objective game.
If you use Magnus or havr fought against Magnus do you have any tips on dealing with him?
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
Re: Dealing with Magnus....
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 07:43:14 AM »
You know honestly... I don't think there is an easy way to deal with him. After he gets airborn and his buffs go up its just ridiculous. He's pretty much as legendary as you would expect a Daemon Primarch to be. He was EVERYWHERE at the LVO and for good reason.

I'd almost say ignore him and just try to win the ground game because chances are his buddies will be summoning in ridiculous amounts of units which are far easier to deal with.

I know when I played the Infernal Tetrad, I focused on a lone Bloodthirster and ignored everything else. I just tried to keep his summoned Daemons out of my hair and played to the objectives. Sadly I didn't get to finish that game, but he spent so much time summoning I was able to get off quite lightly from the Daemon Princes.

However Magnus is a gunboat like no other and will be raking you with unholy amounts of witchfires. He's really a beast...

Its a shame you can assault airborn targets with jump infantry or other flying creatures because that'd be one way.

But yeah I'd say ignore him... focus on the summoned units. The only time I'd engage any of the FMC's is they fail some of their psychic buffs or somehow you ground them. Then I'd throw everything at them.

Not faced too many FMC lists so thats kind of novice advice... but just some ideas.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
Re: Dealing with Magnus....
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 11:45:04 AM »
Well my thoughts so far are Daemonic incursion and just flood the table with daemonettes and seekers in the hope he can't kill enough of them or to go for my Raven Guard and take Null rod inquisitors and Culexus assassin.
I've fought some pretty nasty things in the past but Magnus is one that I really struggle to find a good way to defeat him.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here