News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Advice for Adeptus Mech army  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Athaga Mor

• Baron von Blueskull
  • Ancient
  • mmm tacos
Advice for Adeptus Mech army
« on: July 13, 2011, 03:00:08 AM »
I've been kicking this around in my head for a few months and could use some thoughts from others.  I'd like to build an Ad.Mech. army (Skitari).  I'm guessing IG will be the primary list to use (open to other ideas... maybe Chaos/SM-variation???).  Generally speaking, loads of foot soldiers (conscripts/cultists), some advanced units/walkers (sentinels/dread/oblit rules).  Footslogger ork rules maybe (Mech to start).  Dunno, feel pretty confident I can sort this out later...

As for modeling:  I'm a bit indecisive here.  I think IG (cadian/catachan) might make the best starting point (10/bx = 20 skitari).  I'm going to have to cast parts (implants) for sure.  Can anyone think of another box set to break apart?  (flagellants, men-at-arms, zombies, henchmen crusader).  Obviously the random servitor/techpriest would be applicable.  Arms and heads will have to be altered extensively (and some leg pieces) but I'm trying to figure out the best torso/clothing option to build from.  carapace armor will need to altering but catachan vests don't seem quite right either.

dunno.  thoughts appreciated!
Athaga Mor
40k - Deathguard CSM, Deathskullz Orks, Daemons, IG Traitors

Current project: painting my new chaos warhound titan

Offline Lt_PliskinAJ

• Captain
  • Thousands of troops one goal.
  • Armies: IG, DKOK, TAU, SM
Re: Advice for Adeptus Mech army
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 10:23:10 AM »
Not everyone needs carapace armor. You could use the catachan models for low level mechanics or something similar. It would be cool tho to use servitors for heavy weapons teams if you decide to run a platoon. I take it your going to have a few chimeras in the force if so don't put on the lasguns in the back of the Chimeras they can be used to make decent fake legs also you can use space marine bits for mechanical arms/legs.

http://www.40konline.com/index.php?topic=187948.msg2329032#msg2329032

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 10:46:06 AM »
When I did my Adeptus Mech army I went with Cadians for the basics, High Elf Spearmen legs for my Vets to give the heavy armour look and Necrons to cut up for bionic arms/hands/feet. Should note that I didn't use entire Necron parts as they are way to big but cut out sections and transplanted them into the Cadian arms.

At the time I went with Guard as the codex to use, if I was doing it again I'd go Grey Knights. Coteaz for an HQ, Techmarines as Elites, Henchmen as troops and then leaves plenty of room in Fast and Heavy for aircraft/walkers/tanks.

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline Athaga Mor

• Baron von Blueskull
  • Ancient
  • mmm tacos
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 01:03:56 PM »
@LT - nice work there!  I've got a couple of scratch-warhounds in progress (torso done... legs/arms to go).  Always good to see others' work to keep me going.  Your troopers look great but aren't as mechanical as I'm looking to go.  I'd like mine to be more abhuman (current servitors lacking a dynamic look... i think arco-flags are closer to where I'm going).  I'm thinking several moving on mechadendrites, wheels, or tracks.  Most wearing some sort of robe as opposed to armor.

@khaine - i looked at necrons as well as was thinking along the lines (thanks for the heads up on the size difference - didn't know that).  Looking at the GK codex, yeah, i think coteaz/henchmen is a great idea.  If I don't go with Coteaz, there's always the possibility of converting larger servitors (termies/strikes).

i haven't seen much in the novels to support skitari vehicles... so chimeras, storm ravens, LRs, etc seem hard-placed for the theme.  Dreads are a straight-forward conversion.  Can anyone point me to some fiction supporting vehicles?

EDIT:  Digging around, the Necromunda Pit Gangers have some potential for modeling as well
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 02:12:59 PM by Athaga Mor »
Athaga Mor

Offline Rems

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 07:21:20 AM »
Some of the best admech conversions ive seen are the following http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11246

Easy to do aswell, high elf archer legs for the robes, cadian torsos and arms some plasticard (sheet styrene) armour strips.  You could get some 3rd part heads such as pig irons ranges or these from max mini http://www.maxmini.eu/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=133

Also if you have the cash and don't mind using 3rd party models then micro art studios make a line of Skitarri/ Ad mech themed minis under their iron brotherhood range. http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/iron-brotherhood-c-36_43.html

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 08:03:55 AM »
Yea, the Iron Brotherhood are probably the best stand ins for an Mechanicus army. That will be the best source imo. Another good option is using the greatcoat bodies from Wargames Factories... and there are a few heads from Pig Iron productions that could be useful too.

flagellants are another good box to raid for some of the units...

Take a look at this

The gy has got a range of different conversions and models for his army... search for other posts with the relevant tag etc...

Offline Athaga Mor

• Baron von Blueskull
  • Ancient
  • mmm tacos
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 08:41:20 PM »
Awesome!  Exactly what i was thinking/looking for.  Greatly appreciated!

Love the robes/carapace on the warseer stuff.  The iron brotherhood stuff has the right amount of techy impants.  at this point, probably build based on the warseer combo, add the plasticard, and get creative with implants.
Athaga Mor