News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Squat in 5th edition  (Read 4832 times)

Offline Roscopcolt

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Squat in 5th edition
« on: February 13, 2010, 05:35:23 AM »
Hallo guys!

I'm Italian and I'm new in this board.

generally i don't love GW games but this morning i fell in love for 90' SQUAT (a friend of mine has a lot of them in a dusty cellar)

my question is: are there any rules (not official of course) to use them in 5th edition?

Offline Ronny Wolf

Re: Squat in 5th edition
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 05:40:13 AM »
No, Squats don't exist anymore, they are an extinct race now. The only small race of the Imperium left are the Ratlings.

Offline uriël1978

• Time for a beer
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 05:56:58 AM »
If I'm not mistaken the Nids are to blame for their demise. There are still some squats out there but they are just the last survivors of a nearly wiped out race. Could be wrong about that.

Anyway they aren't a playable race anymore but it's big WWW out there and you may find some fan made codexes. They aren't exactly tournament legal but you can use them for friendly games.
Click on the eggs and hatchlings

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 06:20:35 AM »
The squats are not getting anything from GW at the moment, but here they have a place of their own, including a 5th edition codex.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Roscopcolt

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 06:26:30 AM »
love it

thanks

Offline praetorian1

• Who ordered you to die!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 06:02:52 AM »
i was reading lexicanum and i heard that squats were completely erased from 40k history, they aren't even supposed to have existed in the 40k universe

they won't even print books with squat characters anymore  :o
Time is not made out of lines. It is made out of circles, that is why clocks are round.

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 07:16:56 AM »
Pretty much. GW has regretted their decision on making them and done their best to erase them. A similar fate may befall any other race that they decide isn't making enough money and isn't "fitting" in the current view of the game. And no, I am not thinking specifically about the DE...

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline praetorian1

• Who ordered you to die!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 07:32:37 AM »
kinda led me on

though erasing all the history seems rather harsh, you could leave em in for fluff sake
I don't know i always kinda liked DE fluff, especially Dan Abnett's brother's of the snake (i think that it)
Plus the orks made a grreat come back once the new codex came out (they did a good job on it) i'm crossing my fingers on the DE
Time is not made out of lines. It is made out of circles, that is why clocks are round.

Offline IainC

• Mad prophet of the Whalepocalypse
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Not Safe For Work
    • Antipwn
  • Armies: Grey Knights
« Reply #8 on: September 6, 2010, 05:19:27 PM »
They aren't entirely erased, the history of the Hearthworlds getting eaten by Tyranids still exists however GW doesn't go out of their way to reference it. It's not so much retconned as never spoken about.

They weren't primarily removed due to financial reasons either, to be sure they weren't one of the most popular armies but they had a decent core of fans. The main problems were that they weren't a good fit for the 40k universe and they didn't have a niche to fill. Frothing Vikings were already taken by Space Wolves and short Guardsmen on bikes wasn't a strong theme for an entire army.
World's first ever Dark Eldar player... Don't be hatin' now.

My wargaming and painting blog

My games industry blog