News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 150 points left in a 1500 point list Suggestions?  (Read 2079 times)

Offline Herm_777

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
150 points left in a 1500 point list Suggestions?
« on: December 5, 2012, 03:05:28 AM »
Hey all,

I previously posted a topic regarding the effectiveness of wraiths without whip coils. In that thread, it was suggested that I post my army list to determine the best wraith configuration. Thanks to everyone (especially partninja) for their help and suggestions.

Regarding the army selections. I really wanted to make a veil army based around Zandrekh Obyron. Not the most competitive build in the world (especially around 1500) but I really like the idea of a very mobile Necron army (without flyers). I wrote the list to be fairly modular as a result.     

HQ

NECRON NEMESOR ZAHNDREKH
Equipment: Phase Shifter, Resurrection Orb, Sepiternal weave, Staff of Light,
Adaptive Tactics, Counter Tactics, Phased Reinforcements,

Will either go in the ghost arc with the unit of 5 warriors, or will veil around with the large unit of warriors or immortals depending on the situation. He will be the anchor for Obyron to veil in.   

VARGARD OBYRON
Equipment: Ghostwalk mantle, Sempiternal weave, Warscythe, Cleaving Counterblow, Vargard’s duty

Will most likely take control of either the 15 man warrior squad or the 9 man immortals depending on the situation. Can either hold down his own position or follow Zahndrekh's path 

CRYPTEK # 1: Harbinger of Despair
Equipment: Abyssal Staff, Veil

can either attach to the deathmarks for template shot from H-E- double hockey sticks or to whatever troop that Zanhndrekh is attached to.

CRYPTEK # 2: Harbinger of Storm
Equipment: Voltaic Staff.

will attach to whatever troop squad will most likely attack armor

TOTAL: 430

ELITES:

5 DEATHMARKS
Equipment: Snyaptic Disintegrator, Deep Strike, Ethereal Interception, Hunters from Hyperspace,

Will go after heavy armored opponents or monstrous creatures.

TOTAL: 95

TROOPS

5 NECRON WARRIORS (65)
Equipment: Gauss Flayer

GHOST ARC (115)
Equipment: 2 Gauss Flayer Arrays

These guys stay in the Arc for as long as it's alive. Primary purpose is to back up the 15 man warrior squad. Can also be a fast transport for Zahndrakh.

15 NECRON WARRIORS (195)

The anvil of the army. These guys will use the veil to move around.

9 NECRON IMMORTALS (153) 
Equipment: Gauss Blaster

in case I need a lot of strength 5 guns with Ap 4. Can either hold the back of the board  or will veil around.

TOTAL: 528

HEAVY SUPPORT

ANNIHILATION BARGE #1
Equipment: Twin-linked Tesla Destructor, Tesla Cannon, Quantum Shielding, Living Metal

ANNIHILATION BARGE #2
Equipment: Twin-linked Tesla Destructor, Tesla Cannon, Quantum Shielding, Living Metal

ANNIHILATION BARGE #3

Horde and flyer control. Their Annihilation barges... what else needs to be said

TOTAL: 270

GRAND TOTAL: 1323

Like I said in my Wraith post, I have 175 points left to work with and didn't know what to purchase. Although I've mentioned an interest in wraiths, I want to indicate that I'm open to a whole range of ideas. That being said here are some of the alternatives that I have thought up.

1) 5 man wraith squad with no whip coils

2) 4 man wraith squad with 1x whip coil and another stormtek

3) 4 man wraith squad with 2x whip coil and another immortal (brings immortal squad to 10)

4) 4 man wraith squad 3x whip coils and pistol

5) Something else ?

what do you all think?

Thanks in advance for all the help. Its really appreciated 

Offline Galef

Re: 150 points left in a 1500 point list Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 5, 2012, 10:19:47 AM »
I think option 1 or 3 is optimal.  As I posted in your other thread, I prefer 5 Wraiths to 4 with a few whip coils.  However, bumping up troops is always good.

my suggestion is to try option 3 first.  I you find that you can get all 4 Wraiths in combat and they do well, keep them.  If you lose 1-2 to shooting before the get into combat and they fail, try option 1.
Glenn's GW model Blog: Glenn's GW Models

Current Armies:
Aeldari: Glenn's GW Minis: Eldar and Dark Eldar

Offline Idaho

« Reply #2 on: December 5, 2012, 10:50:58 AM »
Yeah without a Destroyer Lord to soak wounds and provide a solid offensive core for the unit (especially when you suffer a few losses in a game) you will find increased numbers essential.

Offline Khulric

• Everyone's favorite lurker.
  • Armies: Necrons, Alpha Legion (everything)
« Reply #3 on: December 5, 2012, 07:53:11 PM »
I would say option #3, mostly because you are pretty light on troops. 

Have you considered trying the Triarch Stalker?  I undestand if you don't have one, but consider playtesting with one to see if it really helps your list out.

Offline Herm_777

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: December 6, 2012, 02:15:26 AM »
Seems like option 3 is the most popular so far... interesting.   

Hey Suicide, with regards to triarch stalker, is it worth the high point total the codex is asking?

I could get an 11 warriors or 9 immortals for the same amount. On surface more shots seem like a better bargain especially if the range is the same for all aforementioned units.

As for the number of troop models my list has, I compared it to some of the other 1500 point lists on the forum and found that I have same number of models  as they do ( 29). Am I really that weak in the troop department at 1500.

Post Merge: December  7, 2012, 12:19:05 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

After considering all of the comments. I think I've come up with a new list that I think takes care of both my wraith problem and my troop problem. Would love to hear your thoughts about it. Thanks in advance for all of your help and comments

HQ

NECRON NEMESOR ZAHNDREKH
Equipment: Phase Shifter, Resurrection Orb, Sepiternal weave, Staff of Light,
Adaptive Tactics, Counter Tactics, Phased Reinforcements,

Most likely will join the 15 warrior squad to take full advantage of the res orb unless the higher armor save of the immortals is preferable. Regardless of whatever squad he joins, the harbinger of despair will be Zahndrekh's partner in crime.

VARGARD OBYRON
Equipment: Ghostwalk mantle, Sempiternal weave, Warscythe, Cleaving Counterblow, Vargard’s duty

Joining an immortal squad. The harbinger of storm will be Obryon's partner in crime

CRYPTEK # 1: Harbinger of Despair
Equipment: Abyssal Staff, Veil

responsible for veiling Zandrekh around.

CRYPTEK # 2: Harbinger of Storm
Equipment: Voltaic Staff.

Some needed anti-tank. Will most likely travel with Obyron

CRYPTEK # 3: Harbinger of Destruction
Equipment: Eldritch Staff

Hangs out with whatever squad is defending my back table edge. Long rage anti-tank.

TOTAL: 465

TROOPS

10 NECRON IMMORTALS 

More independent than warriors, immortals don't require the same numbers or even a resurrection orb like warriors do. Will either hold the back or join one of my HQ's at the front.

15 NECRON WARRIORS

The spammy squad. More shots than the immortals. Will target those units that the Gauss Blaster doesn't have an advantage over. 

10 NECRON IMMORTALS

see above

TOTAL: 535

FAST ATTACK:

6 CANOPTEK WRAITHS
Equipment: 2x whip coils

Can target dedicated assault squads or provide cover to the veiling units.

TOTAL: 230

HEAVY SUPPORT

ANNIHILATION BARGE #1

ANNIHILATION BARGE #2

ANNIHILATION BARGE #3

My horde and flyer control.

TOTAL: 270

GRAND TOTAL: 1500

« Last Edit: December 7, 2012, 12:19:05 AM by Herm_777 »

Offline Idaho

« Reply #5 on: December 7, 2012, 04:12:58 AM »
In my opinion you never had a Troops problem, since I use 2x 12 Warriors and 7 Immortals and they work fine at 1,500pts.

Anyway, the army list is pretty cool and effective. I like.

Offline Herm_777

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: December 7, 2012, 11:00:19 PM »
Thanks Idaho

That means a lot coming from a veteran such as yourself. Now I just need to put it together.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

cheers!

Offline Khulric

• Everyone's favorite lurker.
  • Armies: Necrons, Alpha Legion (everything)
« Reply #7 on: December 9, 2012, 04:11:22 AM »
So far I have had a lot of fun with Stalkers.  I pay for the cheaper upgrade, and give them the shredder.  It's essentially a half range, large blast autocannon, that lights up the target for the rest of your army.  I used two against an army of World Eaters including Angron, and I was impressed. 

However, onto the current list. 

Admittedly, I don't have much experience with most of the units you are currently using, though I have either faced them, or thought about including them.

Overall, I do like the list, as redundancy has many perks.  Have you played with Obyron yet?  I would almost suggest testing out a Destroyer Lord to support your wraiths instead of him.   Zandrekh shouldn't be in close combat at all, so hopefully, you'll never have to bring the bodyguard in to help him. 

Immortals look pretty solid on paper, but I haven't used them since the last codex.  I'm interested on reading more into how they perform as the core of an army (now to read more batreps).

I've also heard good things about the Annihilation Barges, even against flyers, so it's good that you are prepared to fight them.  I'm only planning on relying on rolling a bunch of 6's and hoping for the best.  :P

I'm a bit worried about how a third of your army is in HQ choices, but overall the list looks fun.  Enjoying yourself is the most important factor in playing any game, so please try the list and report back to us on how it performs.  I know you like the idea of a mobile Veil list.  I can't say anything against that since that's what I wanted to do in the first place.  However, my style changed once I kept digging through the codex. 

Do you have any games lined up in the near future?