News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Brushes  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Brash

• Titan Games
  • Armies: Chaos Space Marines
Brushes
« on: April 28, 2017, 07:37:48 PM »
I just got a new set of brushes and wanted to see if their are any tricks that I can use to keep them in better condition for longer.
Ave Dominus Nox

Offline Saim-Dann

Re: Brushes
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 08:22:00 PM »
G'day Brash! When painting, try and keep the paint on the tip of the brush. If the paint runs to the back, it will get under the metal brace. If it drys there, the bristles will fan out or split. Even if you wash it all out, the process of doing so will shorten the life of your brush.

When washing your brush don't rub the bristles on the bottom of the water container. Nor leave it bristle down in the container when your not using it. When clean make sure to run your fingers along the bristles so they fashion to a point. Try and keep the plastic tube that comes with the brush and store it sheathed. If not with the plastic tube, then store bristles up... Happy painting!

Offline Brash

• Titan Games
  • Armies: Chaos Space Marines
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 08:52:38 PM »
Amazing thank you so much, also the new artificer brushes gw has so triple the price of normal brushes are they any good?
Ave Dominus Nox

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 09:35:44 PM »
Haven't tried them, Brash. It's been a couple of years since I've bought new brushes. Have a crack at YouTube. See what happens... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 05:49:54 AM »
Amazing thank you so much, also the new artificer brushes gw has so triple the price of normal brushes are they any good?

They are very good imo. I tend to use those or the eavy metal brushes that came out a while back. But you absolutely have to take care of them (which I am terrible at doing). Swim-Dann nailed the care regimen you should employ. If you can get some brush soap as well, it can help for periodic cleans.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 06:22:06 AM »
Thanks for the back up, Looshkin, but brush soap? Where do we buy this ?

Offline Looshkin

• Aspect Warrior
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Once held an Utter Fear of Tiny Diamonds
  • Armies: I 'play' Eldar. Or at least horde unpainted models
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2017, 06:48:31 AM »
I have no idea! It's probably just regular soap tbh, but I got some in with a pack of 'masters' brushes from GW about 10 years ago and thought it was pretty good.
WD127 - Started a Love Affair my Wallet Just Can't Cope With...

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2017, 06:51:29 AM »
A number of hobby/painting stores sell it.

My wife (who I got into the hobby in Feb and hence my reemergence into the hobby) asked our local GW owner why they don't sell it. He said GW only sells products they make, and it's too costly for them to create a whole chemical process to just make the soap. So other painting stores and hobby stores (Hobby Lobby for me in the US) sells it quite cheap.

I highly recommend getting some. It helps a good deal
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017, 07:33:20 AM »
Looshkin: 10 years ago? Crikey Moses! Didn't even know it existed. The hobby shop guy back then obviously wasn't on the ball.

Fay-ith-er-run: You found a wife into 40K? Where do you find women like that? Around here, they all look at you funny.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2017, 08:50:54 AM »
I use brush cleaner. It's like 7 bucks US and its kept some of my GW brushes good to go for years. I have a couple of "Hall of Fame" brushes (just standard GW ones) that are over 3 years old and are still very reliable. I'm so fond of them I'm gonna keep them simply because they've lasted so long.

I take an old spice jar, widen the holes a bit and just let my brushes sit in there every couple weeks for a few hours or even over night. Keeps them really nice.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 08:56:37 AM »

You can go nuts looking at all the details for brushes. Try some of the cheaper ones, if you can make them last, then go for the GW ones, you can still use the cheap ones for dry brushing.

Leonhardy Rotmarder red sable brushes are reasonably priced at around $5 AUD, the artificer are around the $40 mark here. I've tried synthetic (white tipped) but they tend not to last very long.

If you tend to paint in longer sessions, then having multiple brushes isn't a bad idea, basically helps to keep them out of the water longer

Technically you should dry your brushes flat to prevent water from getting into the ferrule (silver bit), so its easier if you keep the plastic cover.

If you want to go outside of GW's range, then I'd recommend sizes, 2, 0, and 5/0 (00000).

Offline malicant

• "It is not blood that binds us..."
« Reply #11 on: May 7, 2017, 01:10:09 PM »
I highly recommend washing your brushes with brush soap.  This can be bought from any art supply store.  Swirling the brush in water is fine for switching between colours, but a little bit of pigment will always get caught in the bristles.  A proper wash with hot water will clear this out.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #12 on: May 7, 2017, 07:16:47 PM »
G'day Magenb:
Used to flatten the brushes to dry back in the day of sign writing, because that was the shape they were designed. Did not know the same process would help with the rounder modelling brushes. Thanks for the heads up, mate!

Hello Malicant:
What you said makes sense. Dish washing liquid will have to do till I make it to the local art store. Cheers mate!

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #13 on: May 8, 2017, 08:08:00 AM »
G'day Magenb:
Used to flatten the brushes to dry back in the day of sign writing, because that was the shape they were designed.

I think he just meant that you should lay the brushes on a flat surface not that you should flatten the bristles.

The idea is to stop water and any paint residue from running into the ferrule.

This is what that plastic tube is for. Once you have cleaned your brushes the plastic tube allows you to store the brushes tip downwards so that any water left runs away from the ferrule and at the same time it protects the brush tip.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #14 on: May 8, 2017, 08:31:13 AM »
DOH!!
Thanks for that Alienscar! 20yrs in this hobby and still learning.

Offline malicant

• "It is not blood that binds us..."
« Reply #15 on: May 9, 2017, 12:45:34 PM »

Hello Malicant:
What you said makes sense. Dish washing liquid will have to do till I make it to the local art store. Cheers mate!

I'd be wary of using dish washing detergents.  I don't know for sure if it would damage the brush, but remember that (more than likely) the brush head is made of animal hair.  I personally wouldn't use dish-washing liquid on my own hair.

Maybe try using shampoo or something more gentle.  I used to use my Mom's extra mild soap back in my younger days :D.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #16 on: May 9, 2017, 07:30:31 PM »
Fair enough Malicant. Will give it a try.

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #17 on: June 5, 2017, 08:23:28 PM »
There's brush conditioning soap to keep the bristles in line but I've never used it.

To be honest, I've used the same large brushes for years and can stretch the lifespan of fine detail brushes for a long time.  If the bristles never hit the bottom of the water reservoir when being rinsed it takes ages for them to bend, when loading them with paint I gently twist the brush to make a fine point.
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline Rayvn70

• Bad Moon Spanna Nob
  • too much fun is bad? Pish Posh
  • Armies: Blood Angels,  Orks, Eldar,
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 04:07:21 PM »
I use The Masters Brush Cleaner, you can get that from Hobby lobby and they also have brush hangers as well, basically it's a little wire A frame with a coil on the top to put the handles in attached to a little round tin at the base. Games and Gears, my go to place for all things brushes, has everything you, besides paint, for your brushes including very high quality brushes. They have the cleaner, brush racks, soft towels for cleaning, carrying cases for brushes, not to mention most of their brushes unscrew and you flip it over and screw it back into the handle so they can't be damaged.

They also have Hybrid Brushes for those of us who use the Two Brush Blending technic, it's two headed brush with a brush on both ends of the handle.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 04:11:19 PM by Rayvn70 »

3 Things matter in marksmanship.... Location location location

My favorite part of Star Wars is when Darth Vader flips out and chokes a coworker at a staff meeting