News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Speaking of Winter painting. Winter priming  (Read 668 times)

Offline ShasO Kodel

Speaking of Winter painting. Winter priming
« on: December 1, 2007, 06:28:47 PM »
Can you spray prime in winter? I've been told that you shuldn't prime when its below ~40 degrees outside. If you prime and allow them to dry inside, will you be alright?

Offline Ailaros

• Why do the poutiest guys get the biggest guns?
    • my webpage
Re: Speaking of Winter painting. Winter priming
« Reply #1 on: December 1, 2007, 06:41:56 PM »
yes.

The potential problem that you get is that the aeresol will behave funny (like sticking to ice crystals mid-air) but that's nothing more likely than painting on a rainy day (except with water droplets). Just so long as the relative humidity is good, so should you be.

I wonder, though, what heppens if you let it dry outside when it's really cold.

Visit my My Battle Report Archive.
Winner of the 2007 "Best Writer of Articles", "Strategic Excellence", and "Imperial Guard Poster of the Year" awards.

Offline Kitsune Tsuki

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Speaking of Winter painting. Winter priming
« Reply #2 on: December 1, 2007, 06:50:01 PM »
Prime them outside, then bring them inside, place the box in a bathroom and turn on the dehumidifier/fan/whatever you call that thing.  It sucks out the smell, and you don't need to worry about dry/crackly paint.  I suggest you put down some paper towels under the box, so that you don't mess up whatever it is resting on.  I can't find where I found this, but i have done this in the past and it works pretty well.  Also, try priming as much as you can on days it's warm enough to leave models outside.

EDIT:  Keep the cans inside, not outside.  Shake them inside.  You want to spend as little time outside with the minis and primer as possible.