News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Smelly, fly eating robots  (Read 415 times)

Offline TheMightyPikachu

• Pi-Ka-Chu!
  • Ancient
  • The Mightiest
Smelly, fly eating robots
« on: September 8, 2004, 08:43:18 PM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5941187/

Designed for working in high temperature, toxic environments
Updated: 1:17 p.m. ET Sept. 8, 2004LONDON - British scientists are developing a robot that will generate its own power by eating flies.

The idea is to produce electricity by catching flies and digesting them in special fuel cells that will break down sugar in the insects' skeletons and release electrons that will drive an electric current.

"Called EcoBot II, the robot is part of a drive to make "release and forget" robots that can be sent into dangerous or inhospitable areas to carry our remote industrial or military monitoring of, say, temperature or toxic gas concentrations," New Scientist magazine said on Wednesday.

Chris Melhuish and his team, who are developing the robot, have to manually feed the flies to EcoBot II because they are still designing some type of pump to suck the insects into it.

"One of the great things about flies is that you can get them to come to you," he said.

Hence the downside of the fully autonomous robot: it will have to use sewage or excrement to attract the flies and is bound to smell appalling.

www.andylc.deviantart.com
did you know I can draw?

Offline Aesir Yggdrasil

• The Twisted Haemonculus
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Serious as a hemophiliac in a razor blade factory.
Re: Smelly, fly eating robots
« Reply #1 on: September 8, 2004, 09:40:10 PM »
Lets here it for release and forget robots! With all those loose 'bots running amuck, somthing Terminator like is just BOUND to happen sooner or later.

Though the eating flies part is nifty. Kinda like a self propelled bugger zapper....
People ask how come I play such a twisted army. I reply that I have the heart of a young boy; in a jar right next to his brain.

Now with Extra Lung!

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #2 on: September 9, 2004, 04:33:40 AM »
As soon as they get the ability to repair and produce new robot we, as a species, are done for. :)

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Pat Khils

• Phantom Lord
  • Ancient
  • Silent Night, Bodom Night
    • Anton's Vault
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 05:59:27 PM »
I like the idea, and it makes sence (the way it works).  But I'd realy want them to work on the smely part, but all in all, awsome.  ;D

s i m a n o v: portfolio | deviant art