News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Coming Back to 6th Edition w/Space Wolves  (Read 1137 times)

Offline rgrmaddog

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Coming Back to 6th Edition w/Space Wolves
« on: March 26, 2014, 11:52:47 AM »
I haven't played for maybe 2 years now, but have 6th edition (and read it) and wanted to run some ideas by more experienced players before I show up at my shop and get tabled.

I used to run loads of Grey Hunters in Rhinos with Wolf Guard leaders with a power fist and a combi, with long fangs in support.  Are rhinos still worth the kill point they are bound to give up?  I hear lots of people are walking across to table now, but with all this noise about super heavies and flyers, would they ever reach the other side?   Are my long fangs going to need fortifications now to survive?  Should I just scrap half my army and get a couple Imperial Knights to ally with?  I guess I'm just looking for a little in site into how things are shaping up.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Coming Back to 6th Edition w/Space Wolves
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 03:33:38 PM »
Rhinos can still work, but you need to either use 2-3 of them + other armored targets to draw fire, or need some kind of sneaky way of keeping them alive on that first/second turn. The old Space Wolf spam list (nothing but Grey Hunters and Long Fangs) doesn't have the teeth it once did, simply because the Rhinos are much easier targets. You'll need to adapt your list design to draw AT fire away from the Rhinos or find a way to make them tougher.

As for Grey Hunters, they're about as good as they ever were, pretty much. Missile Launchers aren't *quite* as good as they were, but they're almost the same (you won't be one-shotting vehicles as often, but rather stripping hull points). You don't have any Anti-Aircraft fire, so investment in a fortification with a Flakk gun isn't a bad idea if they're just going to be sitting still, anyway.

I don't think the Space Wolves are hopeless by any means, but your old bag of 5th Edition tricks won't work quite the same way anymore.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 03:35:18 PM by Wyddr »

Offline rgrmaddog

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Re: Coming Back to 6th Edition w/Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: April 2, 2014, 09:40:42 PM »
Okay, think I'll convert a rhino or two into vindicators and start there.