News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: What Can I Do With These Models?  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Wyldhunt

What Can I Do With These Models?
« on: August 14, 2014, 11:44:39 AM »
Thanks to all the 40k-related gifts I've received over the years, I have:

About 30 marines (including about 4 missile launchers, 1 plasma gun, and 2-3 flamers)
1 dreadnaught with a TL multi-melta and flamer dread weapon
1 dreadnaught with a TL lascannon and a dread weapon
10 terminators (including 2 sergeants and an autocannon guy)
1 unbuilt captain
1 Assault on Blackreach captain
1 Rune Priest (or is it some sort of wolf lord/battle leader?) in terminator armor
1 librarian
1 rhino/razorback that the previous owner gave an illegal amount of dakka and dubbed, "The Porcupine"

In the past, I've proxied these guys as a group of Space Wolves that, due to inquisitorial shenanigans, went on the lamb and started scavenging marine gear from other chapters.  That said, it's been a while since I've used them, the wolf 'dex I have is no longer current, and I'm considering changing which rulebook/fluff I play them with. 

What sort of marine force would these models be good for or at least a good start to? I'm also trying to keep in mind the playstyles I would enjoy with these guys.  Back when terminators were scarier, I liked running them as a Logan Wing or drop pod army. I always liked the old wolf book's ability to build a bunch of unique heroes that would wreck things in melee, but I hear that I'd be stuck using only half my hq these days if I ran the wolf 'dex.  I like the idea of using Blood Angel rules with them (I like fast armies with deepstrike ability), but I don't have the close weapon bis or jump packs for that.  I like the idea of running some sort of super-durable marine list, but I worry I'd end up feeling like I was playing sub-optimal necrons. 

A drop pod army still sort of sounds fun, though I'd need to add more plasma or melta to my list.  Help me out, Astartes.  Which chapter (or at least chapter tactics) fits my models and desires as a player? Oh, and for those chaos players wondering, yes. I did consider going chaos marines, but I don't like the idea of my characters mutating left and right, running away, etc.

Offline Sarenyon

Re: What Can I Do With These Models?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 12:37:20 PM »
Are the standard marines standard TAC SQD guys or bolt pistol - CCW guys?

You did not list drop-pods, do you have them?

You can still run wolves, in fact if you want to use all your ICs - do run wolves. In the new dex they have a formation that runs 6 HQ!!! There is another formation that puts two dreads with Bjorn and all of them get a 5++, and they can be podded in (of course that takes 3 pods, but still wicked cool). You could by the new SW venerable dread / Bjorn kit and run them together.

Add Bjorn and some drop pods to what you got there with the new Wolf codex and you can easily get a fun 18.5 - 2k list.

Offline Wyldhunt

Re: What Can I Do With These Models?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 12:46:38 PM »
Glad to hear that wolves are still viable! Lots of heroic characters running around with unique rules and wargear is always fun.  That said, I'm still open to other suggestions just so I can compare my options. 

I do not have drop pod models, but I'm told that the FLGS I just moved near to is pretty friendly about letting people proxy those. Maybe I can use soda cans and let people drink what they kill. XD

My tac marines are standard bolter tacs.  Only my sergeants (of which I have... 3 or 4?) have the bolter + ccw combo. Again, my local players would probably let me proxy them as ccw+ bolt pistol; clearly the marines just happen to have their bolters out!