News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000 Points Semi-competitive Ultramarines  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Heirophant

• Newest
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
2000 Points Semi-competitive Ultramarines
« on: April 12, 2014, 01:06:29 AM »
Hello everybody.  I have compiled Tactics videos and articles, army list ideas and strategies from battle reports to come up with this 2000 point Ultramarines list.  I have been doing a lot of Theoryhammer and have not yet tried (or bought) this list yet.  I would appreciate some feedback before I enter the nightmarish dimension of spending and painting.  The army uses the Ultramarines chapter tactics.

HQ — Chief Librarian Tigurius — 165 Points

Elites — 8 Sternguard Veterans — 2 Heavy Flamers, 3 Combi-flamers, Melta Bombs — 241 Points

Dedicated Transport — Drop Pod — 35 Points

Elites — 7 Sternguard Veterans — 3 Combi-plasmas, Melta Bombs — 199 Points

Dedicated Transport — Rhino — 35 Points

Troops — Tactical Squad — Plasma Gun, Combi-plasma — 165 Points

Troops — Tactical Squad — Flamer, Combi-flamer, Melta Bombs — 160 Points

Troops — 5 Scouts — Camo cloaks, Sniper Rifles — 70 Points

Fast Attack — 6 Bikes — 2 Meltaguns, Combi-melta, Melta Bombs — 156 Points

Heavy Support — 3 Devastator Centurions — Grav-cannons and Grav-amps — 250 Points

Heavy Support — Vindicator — 125 Points

1996 Points

The idea is that the Sternguard Veterans squad come down first turn and roast some Tau, Eldar, or whatever the opposing scum is that needs to be cleansed.  They are not a suicide unit and will try to find cover and generally act as a fire magnet (with help from long-range psychic support from Tigurius (with Endurance, for example)) and harassing unit.  The other 7 Sternguard Veterans will have Tigurius in them (who I think can cast powers from a Fire Point (clarification please)).  They will move up to near the enemy’s lines and just shoot stuff, along with the Centurions, who will hopefully be protected by some Rhino screening and Divination.  The 2 Plasma squads will move up to a midfield objective.  The Flamer squad will come in as late as possible and toast some back-field objective holders (like Sniper Scouts) and claim an objective.  The Sniper scouts sit back on a home objective.  The bikes lend some anti-tank firepower and more harassment.  Finally, the 2 Vindicators will gloriously advance, side-by-side, and kill stuff, again with some Tigurius support.  Most of my opponents play footslogging armies (hence the lack of anti-tank) and there is only one guy who brings in a flier (the Heldrake), so I have purposely not wasted points on AA.

Feedback will be appreciated.  I am not aiming for a super-competitive list, but one that wins in friendly play and stands a chance in a tournament (a.k.a. semi-competitive).  I am kind of on a tighish budget and so I cannot have any more transports, but I am flexible besides that.

Thank you in advance.

Offline Slick Samos

• Que!!
  • Armies: Tau, Dark Angels & Salamanders
Re: 2000 Points Semi-competitive Ultramarines
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 06:18:11 PM »
Hey Heirophant and welcome to the forum,

I'm a bit out of my depth at 2000pts, however some of your units are sub-optimal, so I'll give you some advice on that...

Tigurius is good, but you have to be careful about casting powers from transports or from coming in from reserves...  One of the good things about Ultramarines is that they have so many different special characters which can change how they play out on the battlefield.

Instead of:
Elites — 8 Sternguard Veterans — 2 Heavy Flamers, 3 Combi-flamers, Melta Bombs — 241 Points

Try:
10 Sternguard Veterans
- 2 Heavy Flamers
- 4 Combi-Meltas
- Drop Pod

This is more expensive but will mean that your dudes can capitalise on Combat Squads to maximise their damage on two different target types, increasing their odds for First Blood.  I tend to think that Combi-Flamers aren't worth it since Special Ammunition already can do that damage type, therefore I'd rather spend those points that lets be do something else.  It would be very beneficial to use the Tactical Doctrine when they are firing their Combi-Meltas, unless the target is weak and only requires a few hits to be taken down.

Instead of:
Elites — 7 Sternguard Veterans — 3 Combi-plasmas, Melta Bombs — 199 Points

Try:
7 Sternguard Veterans
- 2 Plasmaguns
- Rhino

This is basically the same cost but the plasma effect lasts over the whole game as opposed to one turn.  Note that Sternguard are expensive so be careful how many you bring...  You may find Plasmagun or Grav-Gun Bike Squads a more effective way of getting special weapons in as they don't have to us a Rhino to be mobile and can get around a lot faster.  Alternatively Legion of the Damned Squads are good, as are Command Squads with Apothecary and Special Weapons. 

These are okay:

Troops — Tactical Squad — Flamer, Combi-flamer, Melta Bombs — 160 Points

However you don't need full 10 man squads to make them operate well, so consider dropping a few off each squad and investing in something else.

This is a good choice for most lists, being cheap and durable:
Troops — 5 Scouts — Camo cloaks, Sniper Rifles — 70 Points

Bikes are good, this unit is no exception: 
Fast Attack — 6 Bikes — 2 Meltaguns, Combi-melta, Melta Bombs — 156 Points

I'd be tempted to try to squeeze a Multi-Melta Attack Bike in instead of the 6th Bike and some other things.

These are also good:
Heavy Support — 3 Devastator Centurions — Grav-cannons and Grav-amps — 250 Points

Try putting Tigurius in here, then you don't need to worry about silly transport rules :P  But seriously, get some divination rerolls etc... and these guys will lay down a lot of hurt.

The one unit where if you're going to bring one, bring two:

These are a great pair.  I'd be scared. 

Overall it's a nice list but seems to be a fleshed out 1500pt list as opposed to a 2000pt list if that makes sense.  2000pt lists can be better using a double Force Organisation Chart as it allows you to focus on the parts of the army which you think is coolest more. 

The main thing before you "enter the nightmarish dimension of spending and painting" is to really like the army that you're building.  Also build it up in small chunks and play it against different lists learning what works for you and what doesn't. 

I hope this helps!

Slick Samos
Play more games, paint more models...