News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1750 Mech-JB council (rate)  (Read 4148 times)

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
1750 Mech-JB council (rate)
« on: December 19, 2009, 02:41:10 PM »
This is my 1750 Saim-Hann style Mech-JB council list for the POC:Saim-Hann entry. I would also like this list to be rated for "the big list of Eldar lists".

I have play tested this list against everything from Orks/nids to MEQs of various types and feel that it has everything needed to handle every type of army.

HQ
Farseer JB, stones, RoW, Doom, Fortune, spear (178)
8x Warlock JBs, 1 enh, 2 emb (1x spear), 4 destro (428)

TROOPS
5x Avengers (60)
-Falcon EML, stones, Holos (180)

10x Avengers Exarch BS (147)
-Serpent BL, stones (145)

HEAVY
Prism stones, holos (160)

deployment:
Generally, I prefer to go first. If I do win the roll, or first turn gets passed to me I will not reserve anything. If it's someone I have never played before, I will deploy most of my units on one side of the table with the council in the center of the table, and possibly one Prism on the opposite side of everything else if there is some cover for it to gain. This makes my opponent make a hard choice on where to place his units. If it is someone I have faced before (and they know my tactics) I'll often deploy everything in the middle with a Prisms on each side of the deployment zone. Often enough this allows me to quickly move things into position depending on how my opponent sets up. If I have to go second I will either reserve everything, or all but the Council and Prisms depending on available cover.

basic strategy:
Any objective based games I will usually go for the tried and true hold one, contest everything else method. I'll tend to try to line up a second objective just in case as well. Annihilation games I like to wolf pack my opponent and focus fire to take out one unit at a time. I tend to focus fire everything taking out highest threats in order of importance. Fast movers, Land raiders, and AT weapons are targeted first. Troops shortly after.

I feel this list covers all army types. I have plenty of AT in the way for Lances on serpents, the Falcon, and the Prisms can help with armor in a pinch. The council has 2x spears which in my experience is enough to pop/stop most AV10-12 vehicles. Plenty of anti-infantry with with the two Prisms (this is their main role), two squads of BS Avengers, and the Seer council. Also, since I tend to focus fire, the low amount of shots from the tanks combine to put a decent dent in most MEQ armies. Against hordes I feel I am covered again with two pie plates from the Prisms, 40-60 shots of Avenger catapult fire, and 4 heavy flamers from the council.

Offline Tèarion

• Be quick or be dead.
Re: 1750 Mech-JB council (rate)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 02:57:13 PM »
I like this list although I don't think it has a lot of Saim-Hann flair.
At 1850 points I run an almost similar list, where I include a Jet-Autarch and replace one Avenger squat with a 3 flamer Stormguardians squat.

Solid.

Offline Preedy1978

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 06:12:51 PM »
 I'm jealous. Wish I had the models to field a JB seer council. What makes me angry is that I used to actually -have- the models. Oh well. I'd give them all spears if you can- for the points it makes the whole unit exceptionally dangerous to mech.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 06:19:07 PM »
Spears are good for AT, yes, but then they all lose one attack in CC which hurts them MUCH much more. They already have no PWs to go through armor so they need all the attacks they can get. 90% of the time, my other units pop the tank for them before they assault it. I just have two spears on there for redundancy.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 08:07:06 PM »
This is my 1750 Saim-Hann style Mech-JB council list for the POC:Saim-Hann entry. I would also like this list to be rated for "the big list of Eldar lists".

I have play tested this list against everything from Orks/nids to MEQs of various types and feel that it has everything needed to handle every type of army.

The list will get rated and comments will be made. I do see it as more of a Mech Eldar list than a Saim-Hann list; but playstyle also factors in here, so as it gets rated you will see more comments from me on this part of the list as well as others.

HQ
I see this guy as a little too beefy.. he has 45pts put into Doom and the Stones, which could be used elsewhere since he will not be Dooming 50% of the time, maybe 2/6 turns at best, or your Avengers will be getting pounded. Spear is not needed, but its OK if you are planning on avoiding some CC. The Runes of Witness also help vs other Eldar...
I see 2 Enhance's as a near must, yet I don't see the need for 4 flamers... I can usually only manage to get 2-3 actually working... so I would drop at least one. same comment on the Spear.

TROOPS
5x Avengers (60)
DAVU Falcon is plain and simple Min/Max; but it does have its uses, and your list needs the Scoring potential... Anyway, I like the Falcon build as I find it one of the best configs.

The Serpents are done well. I am not a fan of the DA though, as variety might have served you better and cost you less.
(125) 10 Guardians, 2 flamers, + Warlock with embolden and Spear.... offers more templates, more AT, and is about as resilient... saves 22pts for more stuff elsewhere.... and other units can also do this.
Aside form that... one Troops slot should be a Jetbike unit to follow the Saim-Hann theme.

HEAVY
Solid choices; but for theme..... Saim-Hann tend to go minimal Heavy Support slots... so this 320 pts could have been used elsewhere (for SH theme).. Great for Mech Eldar though.

1750pts, 3 SU's, 10 KP's, and 39 Figures

deployment:
Generally, I prefer to go first. If I do win the roll, or first turn gets passed to me I will not reserve anything. If it's someone I have never played before, I will deploy most of my units on one side of the table with the council in the center of the table, and possibly one Prism on the opposite side of everything else if there is some cover for it to gain. This makes my opponent make a hard choice on where to place his units. If it is someone I have faced before (and they know my tactics) I'll often deploy everything in the middle with a Prisms on each side of the deployment zone. Often enough this allows me to quickly move things into position depending on how my opponent sets up. If I have to go second I will either reserve everything, or all but the Council and Prisms depending on available cover.

You might also want to consider the "turtle" defense as your HS tanks are solid... you never know when some-one might steal the initiative from you, and drop a HF + Gun Dreadnought on your council before they get Fortune up and running.

basic strategy:
Any objective based games I will usually go for the tried and true hold one, contest everything else method. I'll tend to try to line up a second objective just in case as well. Annihilation games I like to wolf pack my opponent and focus fire to take out one unit at a time. I tend to focus fire everything taking out highest threats in order of importance. Fast movers, Land raiders, and AT weapons are targeted first. Troops shortly after.

The Wolf Pack or Selective targetting is normally one of the better stratagies for this style of army... but the Ground and Pound work vs Rhino-Rush opponents, as does the Refused Flank vs other fast armies... As you mentioned; Target Priority is the key to success with this style of army.

I feel this list covers all army types. I have plenty of AT in the way for Lances on serpents, the Falcon, and the Prisms can help with armor in a pinch. The council has 2x spears which in my experience is enough to pop/stop most AV10-12 vehicles. Plenty of anti-infantry with with the two Prisms (this is their main role), two squads of BS Avengers, and the Seer council. Also, since I tend to focus fire, the low amount of shots from the tanks combine to put a decent dent in most MEQ armies. Against hordes I feel I am covered again with two pie plates from the Prisms, 40-60 shots of Avenger catapult fire, and 4 heavy flamers from the council.

This is all true; but what do you do vs other very fast armies that are better at CC, or better at AT than you are ?... something to consider.

moc-score (pending)

1.. Anti-tank potential Above Average 0.7 ~~ As most units have AT potential; but the DA are sorely left out in this regard.
2.. Anti-MEQ potential Above Average 0.7 ~~ Even without dedicated A-MEQ, the Combo's and number of shots possible will help take down MEQ.
3.. Anti-Horde potential Good 0.8 ~~ Basic Horde is covered; but I don't see contingencies for super fast horde, Nid-Zilla, etc.
4.. Ranged Firepower potential Average 0.6 ~~ a couple BL's and prisms etc is all there is.. what happens when you run into tri-Landraider armies, Twin/Tri Tower (monolith) armies, etc... Even Nidzilla might give you pause as you don't have enough big guns to really deal with them (council aside).
5.. Assault potential Average 0.6 ~~ The council is decent; but at this points level its not strong enough, and it might need back up.
6.. Scoring Units / point level Above Average 0.7 ~~ Only 3; but their solid and the rides help... ablity to contest and tactics help too.
7.. Durability or Resilience Good 0.8 ~~ this list is durable except vs specific armies... at the same time, not a whole lot can be changed super easy to toughen it even more.
8.. Flexability Above Average 0.7 ~~ There are amies that will give this pause; but only in serious competitive environments... so in general this can be an "all comers" list.
9.. Mission Capabiliy Above Average 0.7 ~~ It lacks the reserve factor to make it just that much better... but it still has serious options for any mission or deployment type.
10. Dynamics and/or Theme Good 0.8 ~~ As a Hybrid of Mech Eldar and Saim-Hann (due to its tactics and speed)... I do see some really good synergy and theme to this army...

Rating = 7.1/10 Some will score it differently; but I see this list as good for local tournies etc.. its not quite to the serious competition level; yet it retains some great features that in the right hands could have it playing well above the score I gave it.

Here is a link to a Batrep of a very similar list that I used locally.. I only put this here as an example of some unit alterations, and to show the "Turtle" defense.

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 02:13:03 PM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Dunedain

• Distance..out of reach...just a hair's breath away
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 09:39:12 AM »
Dire avengers should have bladestorm and dual avenger catapults.

You could make the points by dropping a single warlock.
We passed upon the stairs. He spoke of was and when. Although i wasn't there, he said i was his friend. which came as a surprise

I spoke into his eyes "I thought you died alone, a long long time ago."

He laughed "Oh no, not me, we never lost control, you're face to face, with the man who sold the world"

Quote from: Warfare;45947
Thank you Captain Politically Correct.
To survive in this world, one must be as mad as a hatter...thankfully, i am

I will kill the pedobears.All of them. Forever

Offline GoofyCommy

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009, 11:02:30 AM »

I really do not feel that this is Saim-Hann style army.  This is 'mech Eldar with a jetbike HQ.  You have 1 HQ, 3 troops (none are jetbikes) and 3 Heavy Support.  Saim-Hann style is mostly jetbike troops, 1 - 3 fast attack and 1 heavy.

I have not come up with a rating style yet, but this looks pretty good.  I'm not sure how well you would do vs a dual Land Raider list or solid 'mech list.  You should do pretty good vs hordes, but if you're still playing against them now, that will change next month.  Tyranids are going to be hordy (is that a word?) and that should scare more people into vehicles.  I'd suggest more anti-tank and a little less Dire Avengers.

HQ
Farseer JB, stones, RoW, Doom, Fortune, spear (133)
8x Warlock JBs, 1 enh, 2 emb (1x spear), 3 destro (418)

Elites
6x Fire dragons (96)
-Serpent BL, stones, shuriken cannon (145)

TROOPS
5x Avengers (60) - in Falcon

5x Avengers (60)
5x Avengers (60)

Fast Attack
70 Vyper, scatter laser, shuriken cannon

HEAVY
Prism stones, shuriken cannon (125)
Falcon scatter laser, shuriken cannon, stones, Holos (185)

Dang, one over.  Drop a spear maybe?  Not sure if this is your playstyle or not.  A bit more ranged anti-infantry with the vyper and with 6 tanks it should go on the bottom of the list for target priority. 

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009, 12:52:18 PM »
Dire avengers should have bladestorm and dual avenger catapults.

You could make the points by dropping a single warlock.

My Avengers do have Bladestorm. It is abbreviated with "BS" if you look. The two extra shots never mattered IME anyway.

I really do not feel that this is Saim-Hann style army.  This is 'mech Eldar with a jetbike HQ.  You have 1 HQ, 3 troops (none are jetbikes) and 3 Heavy Support.  Saim-Hann style is mostly jetbike troops, 1 - 3 fast attack and 1 heavy.

I have not come up with a rating style yet, but this looks pretty good.  I'm not sure how well you would do vs a dual Land Raider list or solid 'mech list.  You should do pretty good vs hordes, but if you're still playing against them now, that will change next month.  Tyranids are going to be hordy (is that a word?) and that should scare more people into vehicles.  I'd suggest more anti-tank and a little less Dire Avengers.

HQ
Farseer JB, stones, RoW, Doom, Fortune, spear (133)
8x Warlock JBs, 1 enh, 2 emb (1x spear), 3 destro (418)

Elites
6x Fire dragons (96)

TROOPS
5x Avengers (60) - in Falcon

5x Avengers (60)
5x Avengers (60)

Fast Attack
70 Vyper, scatter laser, shuriken cannon

HEAVY
Falcon scatter laser, shuriken cannon, stones, Holos (185)

Dang, one over.  Drop a spear maybe?  Not sure if this is your playstyle or not.  A bit more ranged anti-infantry with the vyper and with 6 tanks it should go on the bottom of the list for target priority. 

I could NEVER run my vehicles without stones...If my opponent doesn't wiff on the shot they need them to keep moving to deliver my Avengers or move to safety. I used to take underslung catapults on most all of my vehicles but I have found I never got to use them as I was moving more than 6" most of the game or not within range due to the longer range of the main HW on it shooting at other heavies. The Avengers pop out to shoot any infantry/hordes. I face Orks and Nids commonly and this list always does well against them. I actually have a handful Vypers and then never perform for me with their poor BS.

The list will get rated and comments will be made. I do see it as more of a Mech Eldar list than a Saim-Hann list; but playstyle also factors in here, so as it gets rated you will see more comments from me on this part of the list as well as others.

HQ
I see this guy as a little too beefy.. he has 45pts put into Doom and the Stones, which could be used elsewhere since he will not be Dooming 50% of the time, maybe 2/6 turns at best, or your Avengers will be getting pounded. Spear is not needed, but its OK if you are planning on avoiding some CC.
I see 2 Enhance's as a near must, yet I don't see the need for 4 flamers... I can usually only manage to get 2-3 actually working... so I would drop at least one. same comment on the Spear.

TROOPS
5x Avengers (60)
DAVU Falcon is plain and simple Min/Max; but it does have its uses, and your list needs the Scoring potential... Anyway, I like the Falcon build as I find it one of the best configs.

The Serpents are done well. I am not a fan of the DA though, as variety might have served you better and cost you less.
(125) 10 Guardians, 2 flamers, + Warlock with embolden and Spear.... offers more templates, more AT, and is about as resilient... saves 22pts for more stuff elsewhere.... and other units can also do this.
Aside form that... one Troops slot should be a Jetbike unit to follow the Saim-Hann theme.

HEAVY
Solid choices; but for theme..... Saim-Hann tend to go minimal Heavy Support slots... so this 320 pts could have been used elsewhere (for SH theme).. Great for Mech Eldar though.

1750pts, 3 SU's, 10 KP's, and 39 Figures

deployment:

basic strategy:

moc-score (pending)

1.. Anti-tank potential (up to 1 point given); Dedicated as well as supporting units
2.. Anti-MEQ potential (up to 1 point given); Dedicated as well as combo's etc
3.. Anti-Horde potential (up to 1 point given); Mass firepower and Strength as well as combo's
4.. Ranged Firepower potential (up to 1 point given); Low, Mid, and Longe range considered
5.. Assault potential (up to 1 point given); Dedicated as well as Holding power
6.. Scoring Units / point level (up to 1 point given); Basic Math here but Min/Max are not always best.
7.. Durability or Resilience (up to 1 point given); VP denial as well as pure toughness, and saves will be considered.
8.. Flexability (up to 1 point given); Ability to react to different opponents
9.. Mission Capabiliy (up to 1 point given); Scenerios and Mission ability
10. Dynamics and/or Theme (up to 1 point given); Overall Synergy and potential as well as Imagination.

Rating = ?/10

Cheers

I take the spear on the Farseer and Warlock as they tend to need to pop a light transport. I also have a spear on one of the embolden locks for wound allocation reasons. Two less attacks has never hurt me. I also take doom and 4x Destructors as I face large hordes and lots of nob bikers as these have proved invaluable. I used to run 2, but against MEQs it never did enough so I bumped it to 4.

I understand I have no guardian jetbikers, but if a mechanized list still isn't Saim-Hann then what would it be?

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 01:43:29 PM »
I value your oppinions.. but I am not done with my comments or the rating... sorry to be going so slowly; but I have several things that I factor in... and I will try to be clearer in my explainations, as your playstyle is not the same as everyone elses.

Cheers

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 01:52:06 PM »
I value your oppinions.. but I am not done with my comments or the rating... sorry to be going so slowly; but I have several things that I factor in... and I will try to be clearer in my explainations, as your playstyle is not the same as everyone elses.

Cheers

Oh I fully understand. I didn't mean for any of my comments to sound brash if they did. Just stating a bit more detail in the reasons why I took certain things.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 02:14:04 PM »
Rating done above, included a link to my own very similar Mech-Dar list... for tactics reasons... as I see the two list as being very close in style; yet different in play.

Cheers

Offline Eidolon

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 02:35:30 AM »
HQ

TROOPS
5x Avengers (60)

HEAVY

I will note I did not read anything about your strategy for using this army. I prefer to read the list straight up, and as an eldar player there wont be many surprises in how its used anyways.

Redudancy-1.5
I feel this army has a decent level of redundancy. Both in terms of having multiple repeat units (avengers, prisms) but with lots of its units being able to sub in and do other units roles. Prisms can take out infantry, serpents can pop tanks and what not.

Hand to hand ability-1.0
1 unit. That’s it. And its not an optimized one as far as councils go. While it can threaten a multitude of things, a unit like plague marines or terminators could possibly win combat, even with fortune up. The lack of power weapons really hurts it. It is the only hand to hand unit in the army. A lot of good players would tarpit this unit and work away at the rest of your list.

Ranged ability-1.5
This army is a very effective shooty list. It has the speed to avoid combat, and the ability to constantly hamper the enemy with anti tank, and then deliver decisive anti infantry in the form of the avengers. And holo field trio can also add some anti infantry. It will require some precision to use though, but isn’t that what eldar are all about.

Speed-2
Eldar army, everything either on bikes or in grav tanks. That’s all that needs to be said here.

Toughness-1.5
The speed plays a large part of this. And at 1750 3 grav tanks will be a pain in the balls to get rid of. Plus the serpents, this army will make anything without maximum anti tank cry. Finally the council has fortune on. Eldar armies are often underestimated in the toughness category, use it to your advantage.

Disruption-.5
The speed is all that’s going for this army disruption wise. Im assuming the RoW on the seer are runes of witnessing instead of warding. But with no autarch reserve games will be tough. And nothing that can outflank means that once this army is on the table its strictly relying on its speed to confuse the opponent. If the RoW are warding then it gets a 1.0

Objective taking ability-3.0
Multiple holo tank, multiple serpents, and a jet council. Sounds like last turn contest/hold one objective tactics to me. Three troops in a 1750 list are impressive for eldar.

Killing ability-2.0
This largely has to do with the lack of hand to hand. While the army can put out some firepower its largely attrition based. Shoot, move, shoot, move etc. Avengers hop out, blade storm boyz mob, roll bad, get ran over next turn. Hand to hand is simply more decisive, and this army will take a lot of skill to table anyone with.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 09:27:03 AM »
The math as I see it has the RoW as Warding... so that would be a solid 13.5/20 from Eidolon above.

Cheers

Offline mafty

• BANNED
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2009, 10:10:06 AM »
wow this is really similar to the list I just posted, and I didnt see this thread before lol (even though its a week old now).

I like it.....I think youll cause a lot of players grief

Offline Eidolon

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 11:56:20 AM »
The math as I see it has the RoW as Warding... so that would be a solid 13.5/20 from Eidolon above.

Cheers

Yeah I just realized I hadnt totaled it up. Oops
I think overall this army is very solid. The score doesnt quite reflect that, but oh well. It struggles severely in some areas. But can compensate with speed. You will have to do that though. Play wolfpack, and pick your battles. Tarpit something with the council and run away.

Offline mafty

• BANNED
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 12:13:01 PM »

Cheers

Yeah I just realized I hadnt totaled it up. Oops
I think overall this army is very solid. The score doesnt quite reflect that, but oh well. It struggles severely in some areas. But can compensate with speed. You will have to do that though. Play wolfpack, and pick your battles. Tarpit something with the council and run away.

agreed....13.5 is kind of meh result, this is a fairly strong list IMO. Lots of hurtin units that opponents will groan over.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2009, 01:07:24 PM »
Thanks for the replys!

Yes, the Farseer has Warding. I see chaos sorcerers a lot...due to embolden witnessing is not required.

I feel the council actually is fairly tooled up for CC with enhance and only two models have a spear. I do face plagues on occasion and yes they are a PAIN to take out, but so is my Council. I generally ignore the plague marines as long as possible anyway. Against termies I've never had a problem as in my meta no one really uses more than 5 and being able to wound them on 2s usually forces enough wounds for them to roll a few 1s. I usually am able to get a lot of shots into them before the assault as well. Make them roll enough dice and they'll roll some 1s.

It's hard to be able to pack everything you will possibly need into a list. So all lists are going to be weaker in one area than another. You just need to keep your opponent from exploiting this :)

I have been experimenting with swapping 1 squad of Avengers for a storm guardian squad. Fairly successful against Orks and IG so far.

Offline Eidolon

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2009, 03:18:18 PM »
I wouldnt worry too much about it. My first mech eldar list placed me third out of 20 at an event, and its got one of the lowest ratings ever on here. Its all based on the local meta.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2009, 01:01:45 AM »
I agree with not worrying too much about the score... I have seen list rated about the same kick some serious arse... its all a matter of who is using them, who the opponent is, the Draw, and the dice....

I have seen some serious lists get pounded by one day of bad dice, and average lists go through enemies like butter as the User has a knack with the list.

You list will do well enough, and if you practise with it, you will do even better.

Cheers.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2009, 09:51:30 PM »
Oh I'm not worried at all. My main list came to it's current state through much trail, error, playing around, joking around, anger, frustration, joy, and all around good fun! I never implied I was worried about the score.

Now I'm trying to work out a good "mixed" style list based off my Iyanden army (If not Iyanden altogether).