News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000 Eldar Balanced  (Read 2867 times)

Offline Aliadraihas

• Writer and Diplomat for Blue Flame Productions
2000 Eldar Balanced
« on: December 15, 2009, 09:03:49 PM »
I started this army as being really backwards to general Eldar fiction.  In that I wanted it to be guardian heavy pretending that my craftworld has recovered from the fall and our numbers are finally beginning to inflate.  They wear pure wraithbone armor not yet having a chance to be painted because it is being mass produced for war.  We know that the only way for the galaxy to survive is for every last Eldar to die. 
It is conscript heavy with some left over squads of soldiers that have survived barely. 

2k Eldar List
Troops
125 - Guardian Defenders x 10 + Scatter Laser + Warlock + Embolden
150 - Waveserpent + Star Cannon + Spirit Stones + Star Engines
I prefer this transport to start with the guardians inside rather than the fire dragons because I can move them to an advantageous position within the second turn.  Or alternatively they can get dropped on their heads in their own lines and the fire dragons can be raced out instead.
I originally had a scatter laser on the waveserpent but I have found that many of my enemies prefer armor 2+ and 3+ troopers I have had more success with star cannons than with scatter lasers.  I would not trade the scatter laser in the guardian squad, I find it better to keep roughly the same Armor Piercing weapons together.

135 - Guardian Storm Squad x 10 + Fusion Gun x 2 + Warlock + Singing Spear + Enhance
160 - Waveserpent + Bright Lance + Spirit Stones + Star Engines
This unit is really a supporting unit to the dire avengers they can be used either as a meat shield for them or to do their very best to take out a transport let the avengers shoot em up and then they can all charge the survivors hopefully weigh them down with bodies. This is primarily a tank busting squad but a monstrous creature with 1 wound remaining can be easy prey for them as well.
Mop up crew for a squad of infantry weakened by guardian defenders or dire avengers.
The farseer can be pretty effective in this squad as he lets those brutal BS3 guardians get a reroll on their melta guns and a LD10 boost aint bad either
The brightlance on the waveserpent should be a boon to help deal with tougher transports or if need be to blast a tough tank in the first turns. Despite it being twin linked I find it still only has a 20% success rate.

162 - Dire Avengers x 10 + Exarch + Power Weapon and Shimmer Shield + Defend
135 - Waveserpent + Shuriken Cannons + Spirit Stones + Star Engines + Shuriken Cannon
Nothing is quite as glorious as a guide and doom seer sitting tough with these boys, I have experimented in the past with two avenger shuriken catapults and bladestorm, i find it is either overkill, or underkill to deal with a full squad leaving them high and dry for a turn, 
I would often shoot through the squad of guardian storm squad as a meat shield because most troops have a better armor save anyway. 
The shimmer shield + defend is deadly effective at neutralizing a pesky sniper fex hiding in the back, bearing in mind that this squad cannot kill it if the farseer aint there to shove his spear into its gonads.  these guys can also hold up something like a squad of obliterators, termies with storm hammers or powerfists, stay away from paired lightning claws those are still lethal, yikes!
these boys cannot make it on their own I have tried time and again they just cant hack it without the support

207 - Guardian Jetbikes x 6 + Shuriken Cannon x 2 + Warlock + Destructor
I really use this squad only as defence for my pathfinders, the destructor template makes short work of pesky scouts and infiltrating assault units with medium armor
or as a cavalry unit in conjuncture with the vyper to take out low armor vehicles or to attempt rear armor back stabs.  this unit always needs to stay on the move until it is time to strike, it is rare to find an opponent who will not do their best to wipe this unit from the table
there are other obvious reasons for their use which need not be mentioned for the multitudes of eldar players who know about their objective stealing ability!

168 - Ranger Pathfinders x 7
I love this unit always I have included this unit since 4th edition craftworld codex.  when I dont field them my army feels souless, and I often ask myself: "what is that monstrous creature doing raping my guardians laser platform?" these boys I find absolutely essential to a firebase they also need support from a big scary nearby assaulty unit as they are easy prey to flamethrowers and melee

HQ
120 - Farseer + Guide + Doom + Spirit Stones
very versatile I have often weighed the options of taking fortune and balancing it somewhere in my army and using him as a safeguard for my transports letting them reroll their cover save for flatout but then doom and guide are just so effective and multi effective for every unit in this army!

Fast Attack
130 - Vyper + Shuriken Cannon + Star Engines + Holo Field + Spirit Stones + Shuriken Cannon
to be used solely in conjuncture with the jetbikes, on its own it makes for a big easy target dont ever doubt the power of S6 weaponry

Heavy Support
175 - Dark Reapers x 5
obvious firebase potential - I always hope the lack of exarch will make my enemy lower them in the priority list, sadly this is never true and for whatever reason they are always always first to die, usually whatever was able to kill them gets turned into pulp but i find keeping this unit alive to the very end is absolutely vital to success of the army

130 - Wraithlord + Wraithsword + Star Cannon
big scary, i have experimented with with different combinations of wargear on this boy, I have found that his best asset is his ability to always cause wounds on troops, he will often miss vehicles when shooting at them, so is not a reliable distance tank buster, 
he is however The Big Scary of my army and the only S10 weapon available (with using one model) to an Eldar general,  he will make short work of hive tyrants, terminators, dreadnaughts, monoliths(this can be tricky)
he is however vulnerable to being tied up, large squads with a powerfist/klaw will turn him into dust
the banshees come into play here, they can either support him with large squads as a solid counter assault unit or go do their own thing

Elites
80 - Fire Dragons x 5
obvious tank busters, the codex has the best description of them possible, use them late in the game when things get hairy, wisk em in one of the waveserpents to deal with survivors or go blast that tough tank that just wont die, or that monstrous creature that has gotten to close to your battle line, etc

123 - Howling Banshees x 6 + Exarch + Executioner + War Shout
really the random in this army, they work well with the wraithlord but I feel that they could have more potential used with another squad, I just have trouble analyzing if they become overkill,  they are also too weak to use as a plainsrunner squad and will not make it footslogging if they have to lead the charge, best used as late game insurance I find, dont hold them back too long though they need to get into the amphetamine parrot soon to make the most of their points

please suggestions? ideas? mistakes I have made?
I am Eldar, with human parents who happen to be Canadian.

Offline Aliadraihas

• Writer and Diplomat for Blue Flame Productions
2000 Eldar Balanced
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 11:36:32 PM »
Troops

135 - Guardian Storm Squad x 10 + Fusion Gun x 2 + Warlock + Singing Spear + Enhance

135 - Waveserpent + Shuriken Cannons + Spirit Stones + Star Engines + Shuriken Cannon

HQ

Fast Attack
130 - Vyper + Shuriken Cannon + Star Engines + Holo Field + Spirit Stones + Shuriken Cannon

Heavy Support
175 - Dark Reapers x 5

Elites
80 - Fire Dragons x 5

okay maybe its easier to read this time around ja?
the idea is to support the fire base of rangers and dark reapers and at the last second spring forward to annihilate the survivors
I am Eldar, with human parents who happen to be Canadian.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
Re: 2000 Eldar Balanced
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 12:29:44 AM »
I'm sorry to say this but I would saw this list by it's ankles, there are so many misplacements of things I don't know where to start, but I'll give it a try.

Guardian defenders will be decent on foot, but if they are in a transport the shuriken cannon would be enough.

Storm Guardians are fine.

Dire Avengers on foot may be ok with those upgrades, but a mounted unit should have dual catapults and bladestorm.

Guardian jetbikers are fine. (maybe embolden would suit them better)

Rangers could drop to 6 models unless you need to fill out points.

Farseer does not have anything decent to guide in this list, I think fortune would suit better.

Vypers are generally not effective, at all, maybe a basic one with only 1 shuriken cannon, to contest objectives would be ok.

Dark reapers need a babysitting fortuneseer to be effective in my experience.

Wraithlords I don't have any real experience from (I never used one) but most people like to grab only a sword or the BL/EML combo.

Dragons and banshees need transports, and the banshees are of best use in a full unit of 10 models.

That's my 2 cents.

EDIT: I forgot about the serpents.
Star engines should only be used when transporting a CC unit, still not necessary.
Don't take the underslung cannon, unless you have an TL EML on it, as you will rarely fire it otherwise.

About the list, it is fairly easy to read although most people would state the sections in the same order they are presented in the codex: HQ, ELITES, TROOPS, FAST, HEAVY.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 12:36:35 AM by Fenris »
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Freboy

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 07:23:36 AM »
I generally agree with Fenris. Your vehicles are armed suboptimally and you spend too many points on upgrades. Specific tips unit by unit...

1) I would only transport the Defender Guardians if I'm going for an all-mech force. Better to spend your points transporting something else... like the Banshees or Dragons. Star cannon generally isn't the best weapon on Serpents either.

2) I would replace the fusion guns for flamers as Guardians have poor BS.

3) Give the Exarch dual catapults and Bladestorm instead, or use them on foot.

4-5) Jetbikes and rangers look fine. I don't use them myself.

6) Like Fenris said, Fortune may be better.

7) Very few people use Vipers, and you should avoid spending too many points on them.

8 ) Dark Reapers are mostly effective against Marines. Other fire support units like Walkers can fill the same role better.

9) Replace the Starcannon with Shuriken cannon instead; make him cheaper.

10-11) Fire dragons and Banshees both need transports.

Overall, avoid Starcannons and use more Scatter Lasers. Make most of your army anti-horde and use a few dedicated anti-armour units for enemy tanks. That's generally more effective. Remember that Scatter Lasers are cost-effective against 6+ and 2+ armour.
[I like to put anti-tank weapons on Serpents and Wraithlords because they shoot better, but maybe that's just me.]

Don't give your vehicles many upgrades, unless it is has a key role in your strategy.
[I play small games with a Dragon squad representing most of my anti-armour capacity. Their Falcon is therefore veeeery important.] Instread, use your points to buy more models, that gives you more killing power.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 07:25:15 AM by Freboy »

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 09:36:56 AM »
Troops

These guys are alright, though I'd strongly consider giving them a singing spear and destructor rather than embolden. Star Engines are nice but not a necessity. These changes net +7pts.

I don't think I'd bother with enhance on these guys, unless you were adding an Autarch to the unit or had something else devious in mind. Since they seem to be tank hunters I'd consider embolden on this team; the farseer could ride with them if he remains on foot. Since you're using star cannons on the other serpent, I'd put them here too. Star Engines - again, not so strongly needed since this unit is primarily gonna be hunting tanks and therefore rarely moving over 12 [also to fire the starcannons it can't move over 12]. Cost savings is now up to 37pts.

Agreed that in this case, if the Avengers are primarily gonna be shooting, and not the recipient of fortune, you're better off with dual cats and bladestorm. I'd actually keep the star engines on this serpent, cost savings up to 47pts.

These guys ought to get embolden, you want to avoid the front till absolutely necessary and really want this resilient unit to benefit from fortune and ld rerolls. Cost savings up to 52pts.

I'd consider dropping down to 5 or going up to 9, mostly due to cost vs leadership for 25% casualties issues. And if you aren't considering outflanking them, performing first turn assaults, firing pistols and etc, and especially if your farseer will be elsewhere [and he probably ought to be], try dropping them down to 5. Cost savings up to 100pts.

HQ

This guy really wants fortune for the jetbikes - if he's on a jetbike he can hang with the pathfinders for guide early on, then once the enemy closes advance to whip catapult doom on the enemy. Not having a spear is a terrible waste of one of the highest BS values available and would be a nice addition. If he's not on a jetbike himself, guide may not make a whole lot of sense [and fortune would make more sense], since the best places for him will be in transports with guardians. Since he'd have good synergy with the stormguard in a tankhunting role [and be forward enough to doom just about anything], I'd consider swapping guide for fortune, and keeping the jetbikes up front and nearby as a baseline for what this guy ought to do. Cost savings down to 87pts.

Fast Attack

From personal experience! the holofields are a bad idea on vypers, especially since they are destroyed on a 3+ on penetrating hits. The star engines are not so hot on a unit that's not likely to live long enough to use them, and that would prefer using its short lifespan to shoot up enemies. Also, you've costed it wrong. With correct cost and removal of superfluous upgrades, cost savings become 147pts.

Heavy Support
175 - Dark Reapers x 5

This will work nicely as is.

This can probably remain as is, as well.

Elites
80 - Fire Dragons x 5

I'd advocate removing these guys. You've plenty of AT options in all other areas of your FOC. Cost savings up to 227pts!

With those 227pts I'd think about increasing the size of the Howling Banshees and adding a waveserpent to carry them. Bringing the unit to full strength and adding one of these:

Waveserpent + Star Cannon + Spirit Stones

adds 183pts to the list, leaving 44pts. At this point you'd have enough pts to add a jetbike to the farseer if desired, or bump the pathfinders back up to 6 and add runes of warding to the farseer.

I'd imagine such an army would function like so:
Guardian defenders - transport hunters
stormguard [farseer if no bike added] - AT
jetbikes  [farseer if bike added] - AT
pathfinders, serpents, reapers, wraithlord - heavy infantry and monstrous creature suppressors
Avengers - used to eliminate withered units
Banshees - remain in serpent in position to assault enemies that get too close to your troops as they deploy, or to crush enemy units near the flanks.

Four starcannons [TL or BS4] plus the pathfinders plus the reapers will answer for many an armored infantryman, and you've got plenty to deal with hordes. Should be able to reliably dump about 8 wounds on a unit of choice in cover, or 10 wounds across 2 units not in cover.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
Re: Eldar army evolution 2000
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 11:17:01 AM »

I will add comments etc, and then rate the list below.

2k Eldar List
Troops
I contend that you might wish to consider EML's over the Star Cannons... you might loose 1 shot while retaining the decent AP; but you would gain Range, Strength, and cost overall. I also contend that you might want this Serpent on your Stormies and the more "Dedicated Anti-tank" serpent placed here...
I have no issues with the Guardian unit, I run it myself and it works quite well.

I have no issues with the Serpent; but it should be with the Defenders, not the Stormies...
The Stormies are a different matter though... I have found them to work best as a Tri-flamer unit with Destructor, or the Fusion/Destructor combo, or while using Embolden to be more resilient over all... I have yet to have seen Enhance be worth its points cost on basic Gaurdians in such a small unit size...

I actually like and use this Dire Avenger Config so I know where your coming from, and I know that it has multiple usages.
The Serpent once again gives me pause though... Why upgrade cats to Cannons when you could have just got Scatterlasers and reaped the better range, etc to stay alive... ? ?

As an avid user of Jetbikes, this unit actually threw me for a loop... they will break and run away with only 2 casualties, and that is why I really recommend Embolden instead of the destructor.... aside from that, add a spear if you can as the added AT helps.... I totally agree with your usage to protect the Snipers, or pop and shoot... but the Destructor is too close range for my likings with such a soft unit.

Nno comment, as I use 6 Pathfinders with decent success while many hate them... its all in the palystyle, so if you like them... they can work well.

HQ
I agree with the multi-usage of both Guide and Doom where Fortuen would not really do that much for you... so leave those powers as they are... I do advocate for the Runes of Warding though for its psycher suppression.

Fast Attack
WTF
I almost cried when I saw this unit... how about you look at this.
(70) Vyper with Scatter and Shuri-cannon
(70) Vyper with Scatter and Shuri-cannon.
     now you get 14 shots vs infantry or soft armour... if the enemy shots one down... well you still have 7 shots to slow him down with..... I actually run mine as a single unit; but that can get touchy as they might both go down together.... Seriously, all those upgrades are not worth it, as one round of str=4 shooting is normally enough to drop a vyper, even if its pumped to the eyeballs with upgrades.

Heavy Support
175 - Dark Reapers x 5
No issue here, I run mine like this too; although they are not really considered that competitive in 5th, they can still be quite devastating if used well.

I actually like this as a "Big Scary"... and I am glad to see it being used as long as you have AT covered all over the rest of the list.

Elites
80 - Fire Dragons x 5
I prefer larger foot squads, or a ride for FD's... but to each his own... they are still one of the best Eldar units pound for pound.

Dirt sheap and just too soft for me.... I once again would rather a larger squad or in a ride... and I have yet to see Warshout do all that much vs all the decent LD units in 40k's current meta.

So there are my comments, take them for what their worth... but overall I will give this list a rating as at least it is unique in todays world of "Cookie Cutter" lists.. thanks for the refreshing thoughts so far.

moc-score

1.. Anti-tank potential There is a serious mix of AT potential; but very little dedicated to that one usage with usage for 4-5 outta 6 turns... Thus I rate this area a Average 0.6 
2.. Anti-MEQ potential Here I see some old school tried and true items like Dark Reapers and Star Cannons, the only issue is that there is little to back up those items that actually got a bit of a nerf for 5th Ed... The op still has this area covered well enough though, and thus I rate it as Good 0.8
3.. Anti-Horde potential Lots of mix of short, mid, and long ranged weapons... a little shy on templates; but the Guide and Doom factor can off-set this... thus I rate this area as Above Average 0.7
4.. Ranged Firepower potential Very few good Long ranged weapons, and one reason the op might have found his BL's not so successful in the past might be that he only has 1 of them... try to spam a little bit of the long ranged stuff such as EML's, Scatters, BL's... I know its tough to cover it all; but here is where unit diversity is actually helping you big time. Anyway, this is still covered well enough, thus I rate it as Above Average 0.7
5.. Assault potential Where ?,,, No serioulsy, 6 Banshee's are not what I call an assault group, and in the current meta, many games are won/lost in the assault phase... if any one thing should be changed then I would suggest a lot more assault potential... I rate this area as Well Below Average 0.3
6.. Scoring Units / point level 5 scoring units at 2K is actually quite good, the diversity, the rides and a few other little items will help; but a few tweeks could be made still... thus I rate this area as Above Average 0.7
7.. Durability or Resilience I see some good stuff like the Serpents and the Wraithlord, and then I see some sitting ducks... this list needs to be fielded very precisely and with terrain or its in trouble... thus I rate it as Slightly below Average 0.5
8.. Flexability I see the list having serious issues with anything that is a fast list (rhino-rush, Mech Eldar, Dark Eldar, Speed Freeks, etc)... and I see enemies with Uber units also being an issue as a Seer Council or full Nob Biker unit might have a field day with this list... thus I only rate it as slightly below Avereage 0.5
9.. Mission Capabiliy I do see the list as being able to actually do any missions or deployments; but Terrain is a near must have... thus I only rate this area a Average 0.6 
10.. Synergy or Theme I don't see the theme of this army, nor do I see it (in its current state) as being that synergetic.... What I do see is a very unique list that seams to be making usage of figures on hand, old school tactics, and pure passion of the Op... thus I rate it as Average 0.6 (at best)

Rating = 6.0/10 Others will rate it differently; but I see this list as a great list for casual play, as it would certainly be entertaining. Good for the Op to bring some old school tactics, etc to the table... but without a few tweeks, this list will probably do more recieveing than giving.

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 08:43:15 AM by moc065 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 11:36:23 AM »
I'm going to reorder your list, as it's a bit back to front to my mind for analysis purposes, so please forgive me if I do not examine each unit in the order you had written.

HQ

A solid HQ choice, but as others have pointed out, Fortune seems more useful than Guide in this list.

Elites
80 - Fire Dragons x 5

Without Wave Serpents, these two units are asking to be shot to pieces in my experience, so if you want to take them, they both need a transport.  In addition, I recommend increasing the number of Fire Dragons to six models, and the number of Howling Banshees to ten.  The latter need to be at full strength in my experience, otherwise they just don't have enough staying power.

Troops

All of these units are good choices, but only the Storm Guardians need a transport.  I suggest giving the Wave Serpent with Shuriken Cannons to the Fire Dragons, changing the Starcannons for more Shuriken Cannons, and giving that Serpent to the Howling Banshees, and then dropping Star Engines from all of them, as, in my view, they are an unnecessary luxury, given the speed of the Wave Serpent.

The Storm Guardians would be better off taking dual Flamers and a Walrock with Destructor in my opinion, since their lack of grenades makes them distinctly mediocre in assaults in my experience.

The Dire Avengers and Guardians can then be fielded on foot with no changes, although a second Guardian Defender squad would be beneficial in my experience, for I have found that they work better when fielded in pairs.

I suggest dropping this unit in favour of more Guardians on foot (see above).

I recommend cutting this unit to five or six models, as I don't think that large units of these can be hidden as easily in cover.  You could also drop it completely, depending on other choices you make.

Fast Attack

This is horrendously expensive.  The Vyper is just not worthy of such a large number of upgrades, and it is one of the most difficult units to use well in fifth edition in the Eldar codex.  These points could be much better spent elsewhere in my view, so I suggest dropping it.

Heavy Support
175 - Dark Reapers x 5

Without an Exarch armed with the Tempest Launcher, their shooting is just too badly compromised by cover saves in my view, but with an Exarch they cost too many points in my experience.  They are also badly hampered if you roll up Dawn of War for your deployment, so I don't feel that they are worth taking.

In my experience, you need two of these, each equipped with an EML and Brightlance in this type of list, so that you can get some anti-tank long ranged firepower.  They also work well when used in conjunction with Guardian Defenders.

Assuming you build up your infantry component, which you will need to if you want to field a balanced mixed list, I recommend using some of your saved points to add Striking Scorpions to this list.  Your infantry will need counter assault protection, and Striking Scorpions pair up very well with pinning Dire Avengers in my experience, so they would make for a good choice.

Overall, the list as it currently stands has some good choices, but it is not balanced because you have the wrong units on foot, and too many inappropriate upgrades and supporting units.  Some changes will, therefore, be needed in my view if you want to achieve your aim of fielding a balanced Eldar army.

I hope that helps.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
Merged threads.
-Lor.