News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 2000pt Wraith-Wall for a local Tournament  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Dageran

• Armies: Eldar Wraiths
2000pt Wraith-Wall for a local Tournament
« on: June 27, 2017, 02:59:08 PM »
Like many niche armies, the Ghost Halls have been biding their time until 8th edition, and that time is finally nigh!

I'm trying to put together a semi-competitive take all comers Wraith List for competing in a local 8th edition kickoff tournament. This will be my first time attending a tournament so I'm more in it as a learning experience, and for the painting / fun.

That said- of the stuff I've painted that I'm proud of, I'd still like to cobble together a list that can hold its own. Any critique on tweaks would be really helpful!

Right now I'm looking at:

Vanguard (Ynnari) Detachment:
  • 1x Farseer (Blade, Doom, Fortune)
  • 1x Wraithseer (D-Cannon)

• 1x 5 Wraithguard (Cannons)
  • 1x 5 Wraithguard (Cannons)
  • 1x 5 Wraithguard (D Scythes)
  • 1x 5 Wraithblades (Axes / Shields)

• 1x Wraithlord (2x Flamers, Sword)
  • 1x Wraithlord (2x Flamers, Sword)

Auxiliary Super-Heavy Detachment:
  • 1x Wraithknight (Suncannon/Shield)

The overall strategy is to advance across the board, using the Wraithknight / Blades as distraction carnifexes.

Early versions of this list have done surprisingly well in test games against friends (Tyranids, Death Guard)- and I'm trying to see if I can get the Wraithseer to fit into it. (Removed a Spiritseer / Nightspinner)

I'm a little worried about dropping the Spiritseer for Conceal / re-rolls, but in my test games, the Spiritseer wasn't very necessary (Wraithguard are ridiculously tough.) so it may be able to handle it.

Similarly, I've been playing with bringing the Wraightknight vs. the Yncarne (two of my favorite models), but I can't find a way to build a good list that includes both at once.

Right now I'm heavily debating including Yvraine instead of the Farseer / Wraithlord Swords, purely for Word of the Phoenix spam- but it'd cost the ability to cast Fortune on the Wraithknight, and I'm not sure which to value more.

Standby Units Include:
  • 1x NightSpinner
  • 1x Wave Serpent
  • 1x Spiritseer
  • 1x Yncarne
  • 1x Yvraine
  • 1x The Visarch
  • 1x 1x Shadowseer
  • Misc. Weapon options for the Wraithlords / Knight (Starcannons, Brightlances, Shuriken Cannons)
  • Sword for the Wraithknight

I do know that Wave Serpents are the hotness at the moment, but I'm not sure it'd be worth stowing a squad of Wraiths in it, since a lot of the lists' effectiveness has been built off of using the ranged wraithguard to bait charges and abuse the implacable rule.

That said: Any suggestions for tweaks / advice about what to expect would be very appreciated!

Offline Tweedz

• Death is only the beginning.
Re: 2000pt Wraith-Wall for a local Tournament
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 03:45:47 PM »
I don't think the axe/shield combo is worth the staggering points increase on the unit. Personally I would go with swords and give the lords some heavy weapons (or starcannons to the knight). In addition, more experienced players than I (reecius at frontline gaming) have found that the the extra survivability of the suncannon/shield knight is not worth giving up the heavy wraithcannons. Your army is plenty tough, but you are gonna what the extra long-range power to take down threats your wraith can't hit.

Offline Dageran

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 04:09:04 PM »
Ahh, thanks!

I don't have the Wraithcannons painted up, but I think I could paint them by the tournament.

On the other hand, I don't have any versions of the Wraithblades without the axes/shields, and probably wouldn't be able to get any- so unfortunately it's axes/shields, or none at all.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 09:01:02 PM »
G'day Dageran!
Haven't had the opportunity to play 8th yet, so can't give strong advise right now. However, 20yrs experience with 40K has taught me that in tornies you need variety. Your army is strong and will intimidate for the first round or two, but if a weakness is exposed there is no adapting without variety.

If you don't want to change your list to much, then throw a wave serpent in there. Gives you at least one fast unit to attack/defend/block line of sight.

For an example of what I'm talking about. SS82's Eldar army was untouchable for many seasons. The Wraithknight/lord/guard were the backbone of his army. Then he met up with a Dark Eldar player who littered his army with poison weapons... There wasn't an Eldar model left on the table by turn five. 

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 09:43:47 PM »
The WK's normal armour save is meh, because you are going to get hit by high AP weaponry, so its kind of a catch 22. If you are taking the Suncannon and shield, you are really running it as a CC focused unit with a bonus of being able to shoot stuff on the way in to use those magic legs.

The ghostglaive on the WK, is insane at taking out other big stuff (LoW/Tanks), so the Suncannon is most likely the better option in your list.

Swords or Axes... if you run them as fire soaking unit or if they are liekly to go up against solid AP weapons, other wise Swords are awesome now.

Spiritseer offers a nice bubble buff to either Cannons and blades, might be worth while if you are hard up on points.

Offline Dageran

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 11:09:21 AM »
Thanks for the advice!

I do have the Wave serpent on standby. Do you have any recommendations for what to drop from the list? I'm hesitant to get rid of the Axe Wraithblades because they're providing a good wound/toughness count.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 07:14:41 PM »
Looking at your list, which I really like, it will really depend on scenerios as far as effectineness. Beautifully tough but slow, well slower then most eldar. Range on weapons really short so in the face is where they'll be. Relying on short range can be good and bad. Getting some long range support like reapers or prisms for example will help take focus off of them and help them to close in. Bikes, spiders, hawks can really help with objective taking. Now that said, your list is a power house but needs more mobility imho.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 07:23:53 PM »
You could trade one or both of the Wraithlords for a Wave Serpent with bright lances. Speed and long range fire power.