News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Copyright?  (Read 372 times)

Offline Colonel

• Defeated enemies
Copyright?
« on: June 23, 2004, 09:08:53 AM »
Hi
GW is as I understand it VERY cranky about what you may post from their material but I'd actually be surprised if the copyright forbids mentioning stuff from the codexes. I'm not sure if copyright is different in the UK but as I understand it the swedish law regarding copyright is quite open. 

Offline Koonitz

• Ignorance is your greatest enemy
  • Ancient
Re: Copyright?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 09:43:19 AM »
We reserve the right to judge as we see fit what is infringement or not.
You are allowed to quote, if you do so properly. We will edit your quote if you quote more than necessary. Usually, quoting is used if you are arguing a point and wish to reinforce it with a quote. Do NOT quote just because someone asked for a rule and you want to provide it to them with a quote instead of directing them to a page number.

For instance, if you're arguing that Mind War requires line of sight, you can quote the Mind War entry where it states line of sight is required. However, if you get someone asking "How does Mind War work?" then you will just tell him to go to his Eldar Codex, and not use a quote to get around the copyright rules.
"I like to think of this lovely place as my home. Now you wouldn't even think about upsetting me in my home, would you? Of course you wouldn't. So do what I say, when I say, and I won't get upset. I do bad things when I'm upset."
-Drill Instructor, MechWarrior 2

"It is not my responsibility to prove you are wrong. It is your responsibility to prove you are right."
-Koonitz

"The next time you decide to stab me in the back, have the guts to do it to my face."
- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 09:51:37 AM »
The problem is less the actual copyright law, but some other law which makes webhosting services partially responsible for the content of the websites of their customers.

GW doesn't need a court decision to take down a website, but most of the time it is sufficient to threaten the webhosting company with a lawsuit. These then rather lose a customer and terminate the contract than to risk being sued.

They have done it more than once, and we prefer to be safe than sorry.

jwu
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 09:55:17 AM by Archon Astaroth »

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 03:22:12 PM »
If you feel uncertain as to what to post you can PM it to a moderator and get it "cleared" beforehand.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.