News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Codex: Gothic  (Read 528 times)

Offline Wargamer

• Codex King, Field Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Guess what I've been doing!
Codex: Gothic
« on: September 28, 2003, 02:59:44 PM »
Colonel Furgen wiped blood from his nose and spat on the deck. The whole ship was rocking and shuddering under the unending volley of shells being hurled at it by the Halo vessel off their Port side. He was knocked off his feet by a massive explosion, and a moment later, the air was filled with an unbearable hissing sound of Meltas. Furgen cursed; the shield was down, and the enemy was upon them.
"Furgen to all! Attackers in section D/42! Prepare to repel boarders!"

Codex Gothic is a variation on the Cityfight Codex, allowing you to fight bloody and unrelenting battles between starships. The first section is dedicated to the core rules of Spaceship engagements, while the second consists of special scenarios for you to try.

Note: Unless otherwise stated, the Cityfight rules are used.

Layout: Normally, a ship will consist of lots of confined spaces, corridors, storage bays and similar. It should be set out with this in mind, with open space kept to a minimum. However, players should take into account the following layout types:
Closed: All buildings are totally impassible, and block line of sight. Skimmers cannot pass over them. In addition, Indirect Fire weapons don't work (they'll hit the roof!). This layout represents storming the endless network of service corridors that make up the ship, or perhaps breaking through the skin of the vessel.
Confined: As Cityfight, except that Indirect Fire weapons cannot fire inside buildings (these represent collapsed or low-ceilinged areas). Skimmers cannot pass over buildings, but can pass through them (taking a Difficult Terrain test as normal). This represents a mix of open spaces and confined areas, or perhaps a much larger area that has begun to take damage.
Open: As Cityfight. This represents vast cargo bays, cavernous interior spaces (such as a Craftworld's interior) or even outside the ship!

Players should note that while battlefields will normally be full of terrain, it is acceptable to have larger empty spaces, representing storage spaces, launch bays or whatever.

Flyers: Unless fighting Outside the ship, Flyers cannot be used (the idea of a Lightning flying around inside a Chaos battleship is funny, but impractical. 40K is not Star Wars...).

Fighting Outside: Fighting outside would seem to be a complicated affair, but in truth, it is easy to represent. Simply reduce the armour of each unit by -1 (eg: Guardsmen go from 5+ to 6+). This represents the extra vulnerability due to breathing apparatus, fragile pressure suits or simply staying on board (Terminator Armour won't help when you're drifting off into the void...). Invulnerable Saves are not affected. Note that every model is affected by this rule, even ones that don't breathe or whatever, such as Necrons, Deamons, Wraithguard, etc.

Was a General of the Imperial Guard, now more of a freelance Captain sort of thing. Ish. Keeping the rank pins though, they look nice.

EOdex Harlequin Player, now and always.
Death to the fake Harlequins!

"Let's make some mischief!"
-175th Galetonian.

Offline Malika

• All Die Tonight
Re:Codex: Gothic
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2003, 04:30:31 PM »
I like this idea...but wasnt GW gonna make a codex kinda like that, where you can fight in space hulks n stuff...maybe make a better one than them  ;D

Offline Erenthal

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Why does everyone pick on Humungus?
Re:Codex: Gothic
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2003, 07:02:49 PM »
Looks cool. And if you had the time you could fight out all your boarding actions in BFG this way...

By the way, when i played BFG today i learned an important lesson. Do NOT board Space Marine vessels! My shiny new Tyrant cruiser, totally unscathed, tried to board a crippled battlebarge. Within a turn, my Tyrant was a blazing hulk, drifting away from the unfazed marine vessel....
I have no sig. So sue me. (Unless this counts as a sig... damn)