News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Potential tournament rules write up  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
Potential tournament rules write up
« on: July 29, 2015, 10:20:54 PM »
As you guys know, I recently ummm... threw a fit?  Yeah, let's go with that.  I threw a fit about an upcoming tournament changing the rules of the game in an attempt to balance the game of Warhammer.  They were posted on my LGS's forum and my criticism was pretty harsh at times.

A friend asked to play a game today, so this afternoon I went down to the LGS to play and we started talking about the changes with the store owner who, for the most part, agreed with me.  After our conversation, we got our game in and the topic came up again, at which point the store owner suggested I run a tournament.  He would host it at the store, and do the work on the day of the tournament, but it would be up to me to organize.

So, seeing as this is my first time writing up an outline for a tournament, I figured I would get some input from people.  Here is what I have so far that would get posted on the LGS forums as well as our social media connections:

The tournament is a charity event in support of the Royal Canadian Sea Cadet Corps Warspite.  The Cadet organization is a youth program for kids aged 12 - 18 that teaches kids about the Canadian military and its history, while also teaching discipline, citizenship, and leadership skills.  With the program receiving funding from the Department of National Defence, it is free for kids to join.  However, DND only covers the cost of the training, uniforms, and instructors.  The other side of the funding comes from the Navy League of Canada.  It is a group of civilian volunteers that are dedicated to supporting the cadet corps, covering things that DND does not such as rent and utilities for their training facility, food for weekends, transportation, etc.  The proceeds from this tournament will be donated to the Kitchener - Waterloo branch of the Navy League.

When:  Saturday, October 17th
Where:  Phoenix Games and Hobbies in Kitchener
Size:  1850
Entry:  $20 registration + $5 optional buy in for pizza lunch.
Rounds:  3 rounds @ 2.5 hours per round

Schedule: 
Round 1:  9:15 - 11:45
Lunch:  12:00 - 12:30
Round 2:  12:30 - 3:00
Round 3:  3:15 - 5:45
Awards:  6:00 - 6:30

Rules for the event
  • The tournament is an "Open List" event
  • All models must follow WYSIWYG
  • Painting is not a requirement to play.  However, if players want to be considered for winning any prizes, they must adhere to a 3 colour minimum.
  • Players are expected to have all the items they need to play - rulebooks, codex, FAQ, dice, measuring device, etc. 
  • If requested, players must be able to present an official copy of the rules for any units they are using.  PDF copies and pictures are not acceptable.
  • Each player is expected to bring a minimum of 3 objective markers that are between 25mm and 40mm in diameter.
  • Army lists can be select units from a maximum of 3 different sources (ex:  Codex + Imperial Assassin / Fortification).
  • Lords of War are 0-1.  If a player takes Imperial Knights as their primary detachment, they may have more than one Lord of War to allow for multiple Knights, but they may not have any in a secondary detachment
  • Players can submit their army lists to warspite40k@hotmail.com ahead of time to ensure their list is correct.  Army lists submitted by October 10 will receive a 5 point bonus to their final score.
  • Players that submit their lists the day of the tournament may be subject to a 10% penalty to their overall score if the list is found to be incorrect.  If corrections are made and submitted to the judges prior to the start of the first round, the penalty will be waived.
  • Armies must be Battle Forged.
  • Terrain will be pre-set on the tables.  If a piece looks out of place, move it to an area that is mutually agreeable between both players.
  • Within the last ten minutes of a game round, only start a turn if you can guarantee both players can play their half within the time left, or finish within one or two minutes.
  • To prevent slow playing, if you do not finish 3 complete turns, both players will receive 0 points for the battle score.
Allowed Materials
  • All GW 40k Codexes released at least a week in advance.
  • GW 40k Supplements - The Iyanden Supplement can be used with reference to Codex: Eldar Craftworlds
  • GW 40k Dataslates
  • GW White Dwarf Rules
  • Imperial Armour Units on the 2015 Adepticon IA Unit Index
  • Stronghold Assault - building rules from 40k 7th edition apply
  • Escalation - Lor of War Datasheets only.  Rules from 40k 7th edition take precedence
  • Death From the Skies - If used, all Fliers in your army must use this book for their profile.
Disallowed Materials
  • All Horus Heresy (aka 30k) units, lists, and materials
  • Imperial Armour army lists
Scenarios
  • All three games will be Maelstrom missions.
  • If a player generates an objective they can not achieve, they may discard and generate another (ex: kill an enemy flyer when opponent has no flyers).
  • Secondary Objectives are tracked separately.
Prizes
  • Prize pool will be 50% of the total amount from entry fees, with the other 50% being donated to the cadet corps.
  • Prizes will be gift certificates to Phoenix Games and Hobbies in the following denominations:
    • First place - 40% of prize pool
    • Second Place - 20% of prize pool
    • Best Sportsman - 20% of prize pool
    • Best Painted (decided by player vote) - 20% of prize pool.  Note:  If there are less than 10 players, this amount will be split between Second Place and Best Sportsman.
  • A 50/50 draw will be held with tickets being $5.
As this is a charity event, additional donations will be accepted.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 07:12:38 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
Re: Potential tournament rules write up
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 11:08:53 AM »
It's a little confusing to me whether or not you are banning digital codexes purchased through GW.  I think no, but it isn't exactly clear.  Some clarification would be helpful.

Read the story behind custom titles and tell us about yours.

"You cannot win tommorow, for you do not know why we fight today."  --Farseer Fa'alorath, Craftworld Fa'alnor-The Fate Weavers.

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 11:33:00 AM »
No, they are not banned because they are an official publication of the rules.  That is in place to prevent people from downloading a pirated PDF version or the rules or just taking a picture of their friends codex to use a specific unit.

How would you phrase it to reflect that?
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Radec

• Armies: Chaos Daemons, Genestealer Cults (soon, yess soon)
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 11:42:06 AM »
 Here's my feedback.

1. Come up with a rule for determining win/draw in case of time running out + what the sudden death condition will be. In my experience there's always someone that didn't know that the time has run out or will be complaining that his opponent has taken most of the play time etc. Something like "Finish the current turn + 1 more if applicable (dice roll after 5th turn and current turn is not 7) is what I have in mind. This is the first thing MTG tournaments in my area specify after the tournament structure - it always happens and there are always unhappy players.

2. Establish rules for army list presentation and army list checking.

3. State how many judges there will be and cite their names if possible. P.S. Ok, it is kind of unclear why I am posting this. There may be players(more than one) that would disagree on the judges choice - grudges against the person, notoriety etc. This has happened...

4. Give a prize at random. There are players that doubt their skill, but they'll participate if there's the chance of winning something (it doesn't need to be big - the idea's what is important). It's a nice touch. P.S. This could be it : A 50/50 draw will be held with tickets being $5. I'm not aware what a 50/50 draw is so I'm writing about the random prize just to be sure.

5. Will it be a point tournament (points awarded by game) or a sweden W/L/D match-up? In both cases you need rules for breaking draws.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 12:04:54 PM by Radec »

Offline Gwaihir

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 11:59:06 AM »
No, they are not banned because they are an official publication of the rules.  That is in place to prevent people from downloading a pirated PDF version or the rules or just taking a picture of their friends codex to use a specific unit.

How would you phrase it to reflect that?

Maybe add "Official digital codexes are allowed, but no..."  And you may want to have a minimum screen size.  Might be too hard to see on a 3.5" phone.

Read the story behind custom titles and tell us about yours.

"You cannot win tommorow, for you do not know why we fight today."  --Farseer Fa'alorath, Craftworld Fa'alnor-The Fate Weavers.

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 12:04:50 PM »
I have run several tournys in the past, so i might give you some tips:

1. As alreydy stated a timetable helps the players to determine how fast they have to play and if its a good idea to field that 200+ model army.

2. Related to the above, a couple of more words on the "food" topic and when the lunchbreaks are.

3. An Email Adress to where the armylists can be send in for checking (which i strongly advice you to do, usually i found mistakes in over 30% of the armylists i checked) including a send in deadline. You might want to give those who send their lists in some kind of bonus. You should also specify which data formates are accepted (sometimes i received file formates i had never heard of before). If a list is correct or needs to be corrected you should mail the player back.

4. A short overview over the situations that can lead to punishing a player (can save lenghty discussion while the games are running), like for example playing for time, not sending in an armylist in advance and playing with an incorrect one etc, and how the penalty looks like.

Thats all i can think of right now.

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 06:11:37 PM »
The only add I would put in, we're doing it at our next local tourney, is no allies. All units/formations must come from the same dex. I don't know if this would help but good luck to you.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Dangerousdave0042

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Blood Angels and Tyranids
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 10:01:12 PM »
You need a timetable of when the games are and how long.

Lunch is either in or out. Based on experience don't provide it! I'm allergic to this, I'm allergic to that. i don't like xyz ... I'm vegetarian and all the vegetarian pizza is gone before I got to the table.

You need to have some FAQs, which you know are open to interpretation, but GW haven't answered. For example if a Stormraven uses POTMS to shoot a ground target (when skyfiring the other weapons) is it a snap shot or not? It's not really clear in the rules. Similarly do skimmers deep strike mishap when scattering ontop of models? Like them or loathe them, amend them as you will, at least ITC has made a decision one way or the other on several grey areas in the GW rules. At least you know when you are building your lists which way the rule goes.

Why aren't pdf's of rules acceptable? Are you saying I can't use the Skyhammer annihilation force just because I didn't pay GW $400 to duplicate units I already had? If it's a copy of an official rule then there's no reason why it shouldn't be acceptable. It has all the information on it and I have the models. Are you going to ask for a receipt for every forgeworld model to check it wasn't knocked off from China?

You have to describe the scoring system and how the winner will be decided on points. is it 2 points for a win, or 3 points, or maybe 5? Does it make any difference if I win 10-0 or scrape a win 4-3? This wil be important knowledge for how people are playing during the game itself.

How are the secondary objectives going to be tracked. Are they out of the rule book or are they modified like ITC?

How many tactical objectives can they discard a turn? We house rule it's 1 like that a turn. So if you draw a second undoable one you have to discard that at the end of your turn as per the rules.

I think you need to push for 2.5 hours for an 1850 game. Does the game end right then or do you finish the game turn?

With monetary prizes, you will probably want to check lists beforehand. Also the store owner would be more appreciative if rather than give money out as prizes you gave him the money and gave out store vouchers as prizes. He may even be willing to put a bit more into the prize fund then as he knows the money has to come back to be spent in his shop.

How is best sportsman decided?

Who judges the painting and how is it scored? On the little friendly tournaments I have organised (less than 10 players) we each put forward one model and then we each voted for our favourite (you couldn't vote for your own). The one with the most votes got the kitty. On a draw those at the top who drew selected a different model and everyone voted again until we had a winner.
Just because you can, doesn't mean that you should.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 11:06:17 PM »
Thanks for all of the responses guys, this has really helped out and caught some of the mistakes I made.  One thing I should have clarified is that this is being based off of the program that the LGS uses for running their tournaments, so I don't have a lot of information in how they run the back end of things.

1. Come up with a rule for determining win/draw in case of time running out + what the sudden death condition will be. In my experience there's always someone that didn't know that the time has run out or will be complaining that his opponent has taken most of the play time etc. Something like "Finish the current turn + 1 more if applicable (dice roll after 5th turn and current turn is not 7) is what I have in mind. This is the first thing MTG tournaments in my area specify after the tournament structure - it always happens and there are always unhappy players.

2. Establish rules for army list presentation and army list checking.

3. State how many judges there will be and cite their names if possible. P.S. Ok, it is kind of unclear why I am posting this. There may be players(more than one) that would disagree on the judges choice - grudges against the person, notoriety etc. This has happened...

4. Give a prize at random. There are players that doubt their skill, but they'll participate if there's the chance of winning something (it doesn't need to be big - the idea's what is important). It's a nice touch. P.S. This could be it : A 50/50 draw will be held with tickets being $5. I'm not aware what a 50/50 draw is so I'm writing about the random prize just to be sure.

5. Will it be a point tournament (points awarded by game) or a sweden W/L/D match-up? In both cases you need rules for breaking draws.

1)  How about adding this:  "Within the last ten minutes of a game round, only start a turn if you can guarantee both players can play their half within the time left, or finish within a few minutes."

I've found that tournaments that run a "Time's up, dice down" kind of set up will favour the player with the top of the turn because they can convince their opponent to start a turn and then slow play it so they run out of time to finish their turn.

2)  I have to get the checklist for painting from the LGS owner, but Best Painted will be determined by player voting for their favourite army.

3)  It isn't going to be a large tournament, around 10 - 16 players I am guessing, so the judge is going to be fairly obvious.  And the people that play in this area are, for the most part, tournament veterans.  They know and accept that the judge's final decision stands for the game, so I don't think I need to add anything in for that.

4)  A 50/50 draw is where people buy tickets and the money goes into a pot.  50% of the money goes to the tournament, and the other 50% goes to the person who has the winning ticket.

5)  It will be a point based system, but that is something I need to get from the store owner before I can add it.

1. As alreydy stated a timetable helps the players to determine how fast they have to play and if its a good idea to field that 200+ model army.

2. Related to the above, a couple of more words on the "food" topic and when the lunchbreaks are.

3. An Email Adress to where the armylists can be send in for checking (which i strongly advice you to do, usually i found mistakes in over 30% of the armylists i checked) including a send in deadline. You might want to give those who send their lists in some kind of bonus. You should also specify which data formates are accepted (sometimes i received file formates i had never heard of before). If a list is correct or needs to be corrected you should mail the player back.

4. A short overview over the situations that can lead to punishing a player (can save lenghty discussion while the games are running), like for example playing for time, not sending in an armylist in advance and playing with an incorrect one etc, and how the penalty looks like.
1 & 2)  That is already included.  I have "Schedule:" listed, but it is listed as TBD because I would have to work out with the store owner what kind of schedule works for him.

3)  Added:  "Players can submit their army lists to <email address> ahead of time to ensure their list is correct.  Army lists submitted by <date> will receive a 5 point bonus to their final score."

4)  Yeah, I guess I should have something listed in there.  I want the tournament to be a more friendly environment; it is for charity, after all.  But, I guess I have to have something in place.  The common penalty for slow play in the local tournaments is that if 3 full turns are not completed by the end of the game, both players receive 0 points.  Anything else will probably be a 10% penalty to the scores for each infraction.

The only add I would put in, we're doing it at our next local tourney, is no allies. All units/formations must come from the same dex. I don't know if this would help but good luck to you.
That is already handled.  Armies can draw units from 3 sources, so that will allow allies.  Part of the reason for me organizing this is that I want to embrace the fact that we are playing 7th edition.  One part of 7th that people should be used to dealing with now is that an army is rarely comprised of a single codex.  To keep things simple for me, I don't want to have to reference 8 different sources to see if a list is legal.

1)  Lunch is either in or out. Based on experience don't provide it! I'm allergic to this, I'm allergic to that. i don't like xyz ... I'm vegetarian and all the vegetarian pizza is gone before I got to the table.

2)  You need to have some FAQs, which you know are open to interpretation, but GW haven't answered. For example if a Stormraven uses POTMS to shoot a ground target (when skyfiring the other weapons) is it a snap shot or not? It's not really clear in the rules. Similarly do skimmers deep strike mishap when scattering ontop of models? Like them or loathe them, amend them as you will, at least ITC has made a decision one way or the other on several grey areas in the GW rules. At least you know when you are building your lists which way the rule goes.

3)  Why aren't pdf's of rules acceptable? Are you saying I can't use the Skyhammer annihilation force just because I didn't pay GW $400 to duplicate units I already had? If it's a copy of an official rule then there's no reason why it shouldn't be acceptable. It has all the information on it and I have the models. Are you going to ask for a receipt for every forgeworld model to check it wasn't knocked off from China?

4)  How are the secondary objectives going to be tracked. Are they out of the rule book or are they modified like ITC?

5)  How many tactical objectives can they discard a turn? We house rule it's 1 like that a turn. So if you draw a second undoable one you have to discard that at the end of your turn as per the rules.

6)  I think you need to push for 2.5 hours for an 1850 game.

7)  With monetary prizes, you will probably want to check lists beforehand. Also the store owner would be more appreciative if rather than give money out as prizes you gave him the money and gave out store vouchers as prizes. He may even be willing to put a bit more into the prize fund then as he knows the money has to come back to be spent in his shop.

8 )  How is best sportsman decided?

9)Who judges the painting and how is it scored? On the little friendly tournaments I have organised (less than 10 players) we each put forward one model and then we each voted for our favourite (you couldn't vote for your own). The one with the most votes got the kitty. On a draw those at the top who drew selected a different model and everyone voted again until we had a winner.

1)  Lunch is being provided if players want to buy in to it.  Every tournament I have been at locally has followed this and we have never run into an issue.  If we do have a vegetarian player, the crowd of people tend to hear us when we are asking and so far have been good by giving them first crack at the veggie pizza.

2)  This is going to be a small, fundraising tournament.  If the answers can not be found in the rules presented in books or FAQs, then the judge will have the final say.  As I mentioned before, this is not meant to be a super competitive tournament.  If people are trying to bend the rules to their advantage, such as trying to use POTMS to not fire snap shots (which it can't), then that is why there is a judge.

3)  Because this tournament is being held at a local game store, and on principle I do not support piracy of rules at all.  If you have a legitimate copy of the rules, whether it came from a hard copy or digital, then that is great.  But downloading an illegal copy of the rules so you can play a formation, in my mind, is the same as downloading a codex so you can play an army without having to pony up the dough.  Everyone else paid for their rules, why can't you?

4)  The scenarios will be Maelstrom missions, so I think that leaves it pretty clear that they will be the secondary missions from the rulebook.

5)  If there is a possibility that you can claim the objective at some point in the game, then you must keep the objective (ex:  you must take objective 3, but your whole opponent's army is sitting on top of it).  If you generate an objective that is impossible to achieve, then you can redraw until you get an objective you have a chance of doing (ex:  Draw kill a flyer against an army with no flyers.  Redraw and get kill an enemy building on a table with no buildings.  Redraw again, etc).

6)  For standard tournaments not using Maelstrom missions, we run 1850 tournaments at 2 hour rounds and it works well.  With Maelstrom, it all depends on what works for the store owner.

7)  Prizes are listed as gift certificates to the store we are playing at.

8 )  Sportsmanship as a score is a simple yes or no question that will be printed on the results sheet:  "Would you play this person again?"  Beyond that, after the last round players will fill out their favourite opponent on the back of the result sheet.

9)  If I am not mistaken, the LGS has something like a 10 point check list for the painting score.  And as mentioned earlier, best painted is a player vote.

I have made amendments to the original post, with new content being added in green.
I knew I had fans!!!

Offline Radec

• Armies: Chaos Daemons, Genestealer Cults (soon, yess soon)
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 05:49:24 AM »
I've found that tournaments that run a "Time's up, dice down" kind of set up will favour the player with the top of the turn because they can convince their opponent to start a turn and then slow play it so they run out of time to finish their turn.

Absolutely. The best practice is to always give both players the same amount of turns. In out MTG tournaments it's 3 turns per player which must be finished in 15 mins. In Warhammer, 1 game turn after the current one is finished, is enough.

1)  How about adding this:  "Within the last ten minutes of a game round, only start a turn if you can guarantee both players can play their half within the time left, or finish within a few minutes."

In small tournament it is always best to leave players sort it out between themselves -  it releases tension. That said whether or not a turn could be finished is subjective according to whom you ask. Another alternative would be, once the 2h 10 minutes mark has hit, to tell everybody to finish their turn and to have one last one if the die allows it (after turn 5). Letting people sneak another turn in the final minutes of the round breaks the schedule more than you should allow.

You could go either way. After all there's no need to extrapolate that much on it as it won't be a very big or a highly competitive tournament either way. The best thing you could do as a tournament organizer is to find enterprises/stores with a long tradition of running tournaments. They usually have it sorted out and you could borrow their structure. I always give MTG as a good example. As much as people hate the game, the company has had 20 years to refine their tournament rules and structure - there are some useful things to be glanced there.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 05:54:13 AM by Radec »

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 11:24:52 AM »
I'm confused about the time limit portion. It says both players will score a 0 if they don't each complete 3 turns. What happens if only one person is responsible for holding the game up? Seems unfair to the other player who was doing what they were supposed to do.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 11:56:03 AM »
It was put into place at local tournaments after we ran into a bunch of people who would slow play for advantage.  It got to the point where both players in a game were going as slow as they could to get the advantage over the other.  Since then, it's been included in every tournament run around town and we've never had a problem.

Yeah, sometimes it will be one person that is causing the issue.  But if their opponent is playing in a timely manner, usually they will get through three turns with no issue.  If it starts getting close to being an issue, people tend to harp on the slow player more to get him to hurry up.  I think there has been one instance where a judge was called over to complain about the slow playing and they had to watch the game to keep him going fast enough.

It's more of an incentive to keep the pace of the game going more than anything else.  I highly doubt it is something that would have to be enforced.
I knew I had fans!!!

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 07:13:43 PM »
I have updated the original post to include the date, contact information, and schedule for the day.
I knew I had fans!!!